Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are restaurants still broken?

Hey :)

I wanted my sims to have a nice meal before they get married. They are at a restaurant and they have already ordered. The problem is there is nobody cooking. There are two chef's cookers. And one chef. Who is standing on a sidewalk in front of the restaurant.

I thought they fixed this! What is happening?

Is it still broken?
-probably just playing Phasmophobia :p

Comments

• KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    Hey :)

I wanted my sims to have a nice meal before they get married. They are at a restaurant and they have already ordered. The problem is there is nobody cooking. There are two chef's cookers. And one chef. Who is standing on a sidewalk in front of the restaurant.

I thought they fixed this! What is happening?

Is it still broken?

Yeah, it's not been playing well in my game lately and I'm currently not using mods.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    Definitely still broken without mods.

I was playing without mods over Christmas because I had updated my game for the first time in over 2 years and had removed all mods for a bit (until I had the time to check for updates for all of them). I took my Sims to a restaurant in that umodded game, arriving just before noon....as of 9pm they still didn't have their food.
    When the waitress finally did bring their food, she glitched and did this weird twitching thing and the food just vanished. Mind you, she didn't dump it on the floor which happens all too often...it just vanished.

Needless to say that experience was actually my incentive to get the newest versions of the restaurant-fixing mods I had been using. With all of the restaurant related mods by both Bienchen and LittleMsSams, the restaurants actually work splendidly again.

As for the chefs just standing at the street, you do not need mods to fix that. Just turn on testingcheats any time you load onto a restaurant lot and shift-click->Reset the chefs. That gets them in gear to go cook.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    It's still broken, but it kind of works. If you order for your table, the chefs will go inside the kitchen and start cooking. I was really upset when they broke the restaurants and cafes, and just left them like that. It's not fun visiting these lots anymore.
  • jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    It's super annoying that you even have to do this, but I like to go to restaurants and cafes and what I do is the SECOND I go to the lot I right click the chef or barista to debug them. They'll usually get moving after that.
    I successfully had a whole family of five go out to dinner yesterday while playing my game, just needed to do a little resetting first.
  • theemaskedsimmertheemaskedsimmer Posts: 63 Member
    My restaurants stay buggy. Sometimes I get the dessert but never my actual order. It also takes them a full 24 hours to feed my Sims! Annoying much. I wish they would fix it because I really enjoy and love the restaurant concept. Has any one tried owning one and running it yourself? If so is it still buggy?
    Has any one tried owning one and running it yourself? If so is it still buggy?

Yes, very much so. If you use all of the various mods that fix the restaurant issues it's fine though.

This is what my previously most popular cafe looked like during last play session. No barista and no customers. There were some sims gathered outside on the sidewalk but they eventually scattered and went elsewhere, probably to the Spice Festival next door.

zmS8Mz0.png

And this is a new restaurant I downloaded and tested, there are customers, but no cook, initially. They showed up after I ordered but for some reason my sim didn't eat at the table, took her food and ate standing up. Not sure if it's an issue with the restaurant itself, or the lag, I got terrible lag after the last patch.

rnmHhXt.png

EhsNfQS.png

edited January 2022
    crocobaura wrote: »
    They showed up after I ordered but for some reason my sim didn't eat at the table, took her food and ate standing up. Not sure if it's an issue with the restaurant itself, or the lag, I got terrible lag after the last patch.

I think it's a core game issue with the restaurants. There's a mod that gets customers to sit their butts down in restaurants and when I use it, people stay seated and eat seated, but without it the same thing happens in my game as what you experienced.

It could also be related to where they were seated. I see in your screenshots that a lot of the tables have that large condiment/menu centerpiece and it's footprint can block some of the slots where food is supposed to go on some tables.

I recently went through my game and checked every slot at every table in every restaurant and 80% of the restaurants which I had gotten from the gallery had at least some tables with unuseable slots where meals being eaten should go because of either too much or too large of decor in the centerpiece slots.
    Sounds like a tedious job, but you can get meal plates in build buy by showing debug items, so I basically just went to every restaurant and checked that I could place them at all the seats at all tables.

I'm at a restaurant right now in my current game and there are 7 occupied tables with people being served and all are eating sitting down.
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    crocobaura wrote: »
    They showed up after I ordered but for some reason my sim didn't eat at the table, took her food and ate standing up. Not sure if it's an issue with the restaurant itself, or the lag, I got terrible lag after the last patch.

I think it's a core game issue with the restaurants. There's a mod that gets customers to sit their butts down in restaurants and when I use it, people stay seated and eat seated, but without it the same thing happens in my game as what you experienced.

It could also be related to where they were seated. I see in your screenshots that a lot of the tables have that large condiment/menu centerpiece and it's footprint can block some of the slots where food is supposed to go on some tables.

I recently went through my game and checked every slot at every table in every restaurant and 80% of the restaurants which I had gotten from the gallery had at least some tables with unuseable slots where meals being eaten should go because of either too much or too large of decor in the centerpiece slots.
    Sounds like a tedious job, but you can get meal plates in build buy by showing debug items, so I basically just went to every restaurant and checked that I could place them at all the seats at all tables.

I'm at a restaurant right now in my current game and there are 7 occupied tables with people being served and all are eating sitting down.

The table decor is fine, doesn't interfere with plate placement though there are some routing issues with this restaurant I need to correct and test some more. I don't usually have issues with sims sitting down and eating in the restaurants, and the food and drink were placed on the table by the waiter first, that's where she got it. At first I thought she was going to move to another table, but no, she just ate from it standing up. But I also had terrible lag while playing, so there might be issues from there, plus the sim was tired and needed a bathroom break.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    My Sims go to restaurants all the time and I haven't noticed anything wrong with them (I don't use any mods though).

The last problem was when my Sim invited someone to the restaurant and the invited Sim didn't eat, they always left their food untouched. It seems to be fixed now because it doesn't happen anymore and it wasn't a game breaking bug anyway.

The only thing that was really bothering me with restaurants in my game used to be actually owning & running them. Nothing seemed to work, especially waiters were doing nothing. It was a long time ago (years ago) and I got tired of trying to make my Sims to run a restaurant. It must be fixed now, at least I assume it is. I have to try it again sometimes, but now my Sims are just enjoying restaurants as customers and they seem to work without any problems.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited January 2022
    My sims often go to restaurants and I have noticed the chefs standing on the outside. They will eventually go in and start cooking, it's just a longer wait. Another problem is that if you go on a date with someone from another household they don't eat, they only have their drink. I also had my sim eat standing up once, I couldn't get him to sit down no matter what I did, he just didn't obey. I thought it might have been because he is a celebrity and had some celeb stuff going on.

For me Dine Out was always my favourite pack and when people complained about problems I hardly had any, but these three issues are relatively new (a year or so). Dine Out has definitely gotten more buggy for me.

Edit: Wanted to add that I don't use any mods, never had.
    Post edited by musteni on
  • caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    edited January 2022
    I usually just reset the chef and they start working again. It's still a very frustrating issue though.
    he/him
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    Yeah, well, I don't think there should be game-broking bugs going for a year or so. Pandemic or not. Some bugs should simply have higher priority. And this one should be on top of the list.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I agree that they should make this a priority for bugs repair. I regularly played with these venues a lot but when I last played, they were still broken - very slow service with NPC diners not sitting at tables.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    I always need to reset the chefs even if I order for the table. Everything else works fine...although I am probably jinxing myself for saying well writing this. I don't use any restaurant mods.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    In vanilla PC games there a 2 major issues:
    - Chefs only enter if you reset them.
    - Finishing a drink cancels simultaneous eating in all situations in the game. For restaurants this means that NPC guests don't finish their meals. They will pay and go at some point and the untouched food vanishes from their plates. This bug exists since Island Living, 2019 I guess.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Broken isn't the right word for it, restaurants are completely non-functional right now. I can send my sim for breakfast or lunch and they'll still be there by 12 at night, waiting for their food, while all the Townies/NPC's get their food. On top of having to manually reset the chefs just to have them enter the building, let alone cook. Staff don't serve guests, rather they'll stand around doing everything BUT their jobs. Heck waiters don't even clean up the plates properly, they'll make a massive pile of dishes, but then just sit them down, often on a table. Then have the nerve to do the "eww something stinks" animation as if they didn't just leave that massive pile of dirty plates and cups just sitting in front of the guests.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    Restaurants are broken in my game as well. The bad thing is it seems to be getting worse. At first the chefs waited outside and only started cooking after I ordered, in my next visit even resetting them with shift click didn't work. I found a reddit post that suggested another work around that luckily enabled my sims to enjoy dinner. I had my sim walk into the kitchen and then used mccc to teleport the chef inside and that worked.
    I understand restaurants can be glitchy or have routing issues due to the layout but currently it is absolutely broken, no matter what restaurant layout I use.