Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wasn't the last pack released half a year ago?

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    logion wrote: »
    What's the difference from buying another pack for The Sims4?

The 4 year wait until TS5 Seasons comes out?

It's a weird hangup for me, but I just don't enjoy the Sims games all that much until they get the EP with seasonal effects and weather.

I do get what you're saying about the joy of a new game. I plan to buy that other game whose name starts with P.
    But I also still like to play my old favorites. I still play TS2 and TS3, though not TS3 all that often since TS4 got seasons.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    What's the difference from buying another pack for The Sims4?

The 4 year wait until TS5 Seasons comes out?

It's a weird hangup for me, but I just don't enjoy the Sims games all that much until they get the EP with seasonal effects and weather.

I do get what you're saying about the joy of a new game. I plan to buy that other game whose name starts with P.
    But I also still like to play my old favorites. I still play TS2 and TS3, though not TS3 all that often since TS4 got seasons.

I wonder if the reason why I feel like this is because of how I play and the games that I play. I often play games as a one-time experience like action-adventure games who often don't have much different to offer except playing the game again on a harder difficulty. And I rarely go back and play old games again.

I have often found things in the sims like playing different households over and over again difficult. I get bored and move to another household back and forth.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    I wonder if the reason why I feel like this is because of how I play and the games that I play. I often play games as a one-time experience like action-adventure games who often don't have much different to offer except playing the game again on a harder difficulty. And I rarely go back and play old games again.

Yep, pretty much it has to do with one's approach to the game.

If your main goal is seeking 'new experiences' there is just a limit to what you can get out of a game before you need to move on to another one. A steady stream of new content with new gameplay might keep you engaged for a while, but it all will still start to feel 'samey' eventually.

I used to be a gamer where that was what I was seeking from my games and I played a game once then uninstalled it. I spent a fortune on a steady stream of new games to keep me engaged. For some reason, as I got older, my viewpoint shifted and now what I seek is enjoyable-yet-familiar experiences...so I replay a lot more games and rarely buy new ones. Hell, I have all the EP's and GP's for TS4 and haven't even done a lot of what is in many of them yet, despite having a few thousand hours of playtime.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
    edited January 2022

Yep, pretty much it has to do with one's approach to the game.

If your main goal is seeking 'new experiences' there is just a limit to what you can get out of a game before you need to move on to another one. A steady stream of new content with new gameplay might keep you engaged for a while, but it all will still start to feel 'samey' eventually.

I used to be a gamer where that was what I was seeking from my games and I played a game once then uninstalled it. I spent a fortune on a steady stream of new games to keep me engaged. For some reason, as I got older, my viewpoint shifted and now what I seek is enjoyable-yet-familiar experiences...so I replay a lot more games and rarely buy new ones. Hell, I have all the EP's and GP's for TS4 and haven't even done a lot of what is in many of them yet, despite having a few thousand hours of playtime.

Thank you Stormkeep, you have given me something to think about.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited January 2022
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I don't think the content drought is the worst, we're just used to very regular content with 4. The older games only had big packs every half year and just trivial stuff to fill the gaps
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    I don't think the content drought is the worst, we're just used to very regular content with 4. The older games only had big packs every half year and just trivial stuff to fill the gaps
    Yeah but we knew we'll be getting a full EP every 6 months, which I think is better than hoping for a big pack for months only to get tiny kits.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »
    Yeah but we knew we'll be getting a full EP every 6 months, which I think is better than hoping for a big pack for months only to get tiny kits.

Not only that, they used to put little advertisement flyers in the physical disc packages that told us what was upcoming ..... it would say "Coming Soon" Or "Coming in November" or something like that.

At least we knew what the next pack was going to be and had something to actually look forward to. Now they treat us like we're little kids and that we can't handle knowing what is upcoming. Or, maybe they're afraid we'll lose interest if it's a pack we don't care for.

I know for myself, the way they do things now does not excite me. Of course, that could be because I've come to expect very little from any packs they release.

Maybe in the past their development cycle was a lot more advanced than it is now. When they released the flyers there were definite features listed with pictures and stuff and that happened about 6 month ahead of release. Now they release a teaser just one month before release.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited January 2022
    I am one of the types of consumers who refuses to buy any type of product at launch. I research it and wait until the price is discounted to an acceptable level or the product is a couple years old. So while I am wanting a new pack, it has to have significant gameplay features. The kits are just fluff without gameplay. My feeling is that they don't know how to fix Sims 4 and that they are just stringing us along. Without absolute transparency, that is the impression I am being given. I know we will never be told exactly what the problem is.

I played the original first iteration of The Sims from 2000 to 2016 (without CC or mods). Would have been longer, but Windows 10 does not allow many many of my old favorite computer games to launch or even be installed. I then researched between Sims 3 and Sims 4. I got both Sims 3 and Sims 4 in 2017 at decent discounted prices. The loving care I had seen in the first iteration is not seen with the future iterations (both require mods to be considered playable). If Sims 5 is really launching soon, I am not the guible simmer who will buy it at launch. It will be 2+ years after it launches before I will even look into a new iteration of the franchise.
    Post edited by NorthDakotaGamer on
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    asa144 wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Lol this is ridiculous. Hopefully the Sims 5 won't be this slow on content. But then again, there will also be that other game which begins with P if it is.

You have the kits and that is one way EA/Maxis can extend Sims 4, the timing for packs has changed.

Haven't bought any of the kits. Not interested in them. Also, the Sims 4 dragging out isn't actually a good thing.

Same here
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • elishaknightelishaknight Posts: 12 New Member
    I would like to have my retail store open with the lice cold refrigerator. customers will not show up when it's on the lot (yes I removed all of my mods and the same issue occurs)
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Also, the Sims 4 dragging out isn't actually a good thing.

It is for the people that still enjoy it and for those who have liked some of the kits.

Your unhappiness is not a reflection of the entire world.

Do you think it would have been good to drag TS2 and TS3 out for nearly a decade rather than giving us newer versions of the game?

Yes because imo TS2 & TS3 are better games. ts4 is already lasting way longer than them both, nearly a decade. 2014 to 2022 is a very long time. And I still buy content for TS2! I can only wish the game lasted a few more years. If they were still making content for TS2 now id still be buying!
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • DuckyQueenDuckyQueen Posts: 342 Member
    I don’t want them to stop releasing content for the sims 4 because I got it just over a year ago in about September 2020 and I don’t want it to be over already
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited January 2022

No the kits are the trivial stuff between packs that I was talking about. We have still been getting bigger packs every half year it just doesn't feel like that because we're used to them every couple months (it was only just over half a year between Snowy Escape and Cottage Living, and it's only just over half a year since the last EP and we're getting a game pack soon, albeit not EP size but still larger content) so we're not as majorly starved as we think we are compared with old games it's just not what we're used to with 4
  • MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member

No the kits are the trivial stuff between packs that I was talking about. We have still been getting bigger packs every half year it just doesn't feel like that because we're used to them every couple months (it was only just over half a year between Snowy Escape and Cottage Living, and it's only just over half a year since the last EP and we're getting a game pack soon, albeit not EP size but still larger content) so we're not as majorly starved as we think we are compared with old games it's just not what we're used to with 4

As long as we don't know how the next game pack will be it is all speculation. I need new gameplay and regarding to this the last two game packs were very disappointing for me. I bought both primary for CAS and build&buy. The last game pack with really good gameplay was Realm of Magic published 2019!
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    Isharell wrote: »
    I only stopped playing TS2 when my old computer couldn't handle it anymore. I like TS4 and am not interested in TS5. I wouldn't be tempted to buy it for at least several years after launch. It would be too frustrating to go from all the content we have with 4 and go back to a plain base game.

I feel the opposite... I can feel how part of my brain wants something new because the sims4 is still the same game no matter how much more content they will add to it. A new game will feel different and it doesn't matter if I have to buy packs for it again. What's the difference from buying another pack for The Sims4?

I like having a lot of variety in my game. I get bored if all I have are the same old outfits, BB and worlds to visit. I know even the base game comes with a variety of clothes and furniture, but I don't really care for a lot of it and am always looking for more. The more stuff I have, the happier I am. Yes, I know I could get more by loading CC, but I don't want to go down that particular rabbit hole.

Also, I've gotten spoiled by having actual occults in the game. While I was satisfied enough in the early days of Sims 1 to pretend I had a vampire, it is sooo much more satisfying in 4 to have a sim who can actually turn into a bat and bite people.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    YellowLady wrote: »
    I don’t want them to stop releasing content for the sims 4 because I got it just over a year ago in about September 2020 and I don’t want it to be over already

It is food for thought! It reminds of the movie as good as it gets with Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt. Jack hitting rock bottom, steps in to a group therapy room. Looks at the assembled patients ands says "What if this is as good as it gets?" What if you recently started playing Sims 4, invested big in this gane just to realise that it will not be any better, no great EPs like for example Seasons, no more occults, no better interactions, no generations, cars, horses or whatever. Just more Kits until Sims 5 arrives. Kind of depressing I would say.
    Peral wrote: »
    YellowLady wrote: »

It is food for thought! It reminds of the movie as good as it gets with Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt. Jack hitting rock bottom, steps in to a group therapy room. Looks at the assembled patients ands says "What if this is as good as it gets?" What if you recently started playing Sims 4, invested big in this gane just to realise that it will not be any better, no great EPs like for example Seasons, no more occults, no better interactions, no generations, cars, horses or whatever. Just more Kits until Sims 5 arrives. Kind of depressing I would say.

That might be a bit depressing yeah. I think the best way I would describe the content that Maxis makes is that it can both disappoint you and surprise you, in both positive and negative ways.

I don't think one should wait for Maxis to release the next big thing like generations or something else. It's better to look back at what they have released and set your expectations from there. And also try out some of their old stuff if you are a new player.

And if what they are releasing is not satisfying you, then I think it's for the best to decide how invested you should be.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I noticed the delay as well. While I have interest in kits, they are light compared to other packs. It does seem like it might be winding down but who knows. I think they could also do a compatible reboot if they want.

As far as new content goes, I am more open to it than I was before because some years have gone by but I still judge products based on what I see not speculation. Also, in the past, I kept playing the old version for a while before moving over. This time, it'll really depend on whether the new version interests me. Maybe is probably the most accurate label for me.

I enjoy my TS4 game a lot but we'll have to see. Cottage Living was great so if they release substantive packs like that and fix more bugs, they will keep me interested. I've kind of been on a break lately but a lot of it is for personal reasons, I still intend to play.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Also, the Sims 4 dragging out isn't actually a good thing.

It is for the people that still enjoy it and for those who have liked some of the kits.

Your unhappiness is not a reflection of the entire world.

Do you think it would have been good to drag TS2 and TS3 out for nearly a decade rather than giving us newer versions of the game?

X more years of TS2, with those X more years of additional content... what a wonderful thought! Come to think of it, I'm not sure the TS3 well was dry, either. Maybe game life spans should be more on flow of creative ideas and player demand rather than an arbitrary life span.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    This focus on Kits is really putting me off the game.
    I haven't bothered with the last couple of kits and have no interest in the next.
    I want to know what's coming with the next Game Pack and Expansion pack and I would rather have a stuff pack than these kits.

Kits are too small to support their theme.
    They even seem like a waste of theme if it's something new to the game.

I've set TS4 aside, despite having something fun going on with my Hogwart's sims.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,553 Member
    Melisendre wrote: »
    The last game pack with really good gameplay was Realm of Magic published 2019!

This is highly subjective though. In my eyes at least, ROM is the GP I get the least use out of (besides Batuu).

Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Cottage Living is SO GOOD! I was hyped that we were going to continue getting quality expansion and packs like that but instead they are shoving kits down our throat! I have bought the Bust the Dust and plant one. I regret the Bust the Dust because it's so buggy and needs mods to be less annoying with its strong moodlets. Please just give us quality game and expansion packs!