Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gameplay kits. Are the devs done with them?

Phantasi33Phantasi33 Posts: 181 Member
So it's been almost a year now since the concept of kits was introduced. In that time frame we've gotten several BB/CAS kits but only one gameplay kit; bust the dust. Why do you think that is? I understand kits are not everyone's cup of tea, but I feel the backlash to them wouldn't be so bad if they had continued to give us gameplay kits versus all the CAS and BB. My guess is that the devs figured that bust the dust required too many patches to even make it playable for such a small amount of content, so they either decided to axe gameplay kits altogether or they're holding off until they can figure out how to decrease the amount of bugs in such a small DLC. What do you think?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• OceancatOceancat Posts: 21 Member
    I think that they decided that BB/CAS kits were more profits for less effort, especially since Bust the Dust didn't get the best response from the community. (Of course, this was because of the bugs and the theme of cleaning that had little demand in the community) I do think kits would get a better response if they added gameplay that is actually requested by the community, like newspapers, new kitchen appliances, and picnicking.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Adding actual gameplay = bugs = coding = more work = not fun.
    CAS and build buy = making cute item sets = get to be creative = fun, and minimal coding = no bugs = easier work
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    CAS and build buy = making cute item sets = get to be creative = fun, and minimal coding = no bugs = easier work

I get that it's easier, but what are the coders doing when all they release its CAS and BB kits? Surely, they must keep them busy with something.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited January 2022
    deleted
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I hope not. What do I have cute cas or bb stuff for when there is no gameplay :#
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I get that it's easier, but what are the coders doing when all they release its CAS and BB kits? Surely, they must keep them busy with something.

Probably pronouns, other base game updates, SDX content, and possibly more pack refreshes.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    My understanding was that Kits are "stuff for people to work on while they're waiting for other team members to get back to them"

The coders/designers apparently are busy working on game improvements and the next game packs and expansion packs (and hunting down bugs) while the Artists are making CAS and BB kits while waiting for whatever next step they're needed on for the packs in development.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    It seems they are done with all kinds of gameplay (and bug fixes) at the moment. My guess is that the game has some deep technical problems.
  • PlumbobiPlumbobi Posts: 95 Member
    I really hope they aren't!! There are so many fun ideas that gameplay kits could bring to the game! Bust the Dust was a bust because...well, it was super buggy. Take those bugs away and gameplay kits would be my absolute favorite! Here's a video about some of the gameplay kits I think would work really well! https://youtu.be/P_EYebIT0D8
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Plumbobi wrote: »
    I really hope they aren't!! There are so many fun ideas that gameplay kits could bring to the game! Bust the Dust was a bust because...well, it was super buggy.

I bought Bust the Dust a few weeks ago after being told the bugs from release were mostly fixed. I can say with conviction that I have not experienced any bugs related to the kit since getting it, and I played the game a LOT over the Christmas and New Years break.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • PeppersPeppers Posts: 86 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Plumbobi wrote: »
    I really hope they aren't!! There are so many fun ideas that gameplay kits could bring to the game! Bust the Dust was a bust because...well, it was super buggy.

I bought Bust the Dust a few weeks ago after being told the bugs from release were mostly fixed. I can say with conviction that I have not experienced any bugs related to the kit since getting it, and I played the game a LOT over the Christmas and New Years break.

I bought it last week and for me it has worked well, too.

That being said, after buying it I must say I am underwhelmed. You vacuum every three days, get only vacuum cleaners as items and besides that the only other thing you can do is to interact with dust bunnies. I would rather not have more gameplay kits. Instead they should bring out more stuff packs again, they are a much better value for the money.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Oceancat wrote: »
    I think that they decided that BB/CAS kits were more profits for less effort, especially since Bust the Dust didn't get the best response from the community. (Of course, this was because of the bugs and the theme of cleaning that had little demand in the community) I do think kits would get a better response if they added gameplay that is actually requested by the community, like newspapers, new kitchen appliances, and picnicking.

I really don't think newspapers are as popular as Simmers like to think.

The only time I ever see it requested is here on the forums.

I personally don't really want newspapers to return honestly. They were just an annoying thing to clean up for me.

If they made them optional again I wouldn't care. They'd be nice to tell a story in a certain time, or for an elderly sim.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    You could say they... Bit the dust. 👀
  • PeppersPeppers Posts: 86 Member
    Ok, I wrote in my above post that Bust the Dust works well for me. But that is now not the case anymore. I got another round of dust and I could vacuum the dust bunny just fine. But when I wanted to vacuum the new dust pile, my sim went into a T-pose, could not vacuum the dust pile and the dust bunny reappeared. I could only fix this by selling the dust bunny in build mode. So, yeah, I stand by what I said above and I hope there will be no more gameplay kits.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member

I personally don't really want newspapers to return honestly. They were just an annoying thing to clean up for me.

If they made them optional again I wouldn't care. They'd be nice to tell a story in a certain time, or for an elderly sim.

They could add them as a subscription option for people who want them in their game for their sims. In past games they would get them by default pretty much how they got cell phones by default this time. They could be useful if you play off the grid, make paper airplanes, solve crossword puzzles, read cartoon, get discount coupons, read news, get jobs, etc.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member

But for those of us who don't want to play modern worlds and want to play through generations of Sims things like newspapers and landline phones could be game changing. It's something you could opt into because if you're playing a modern story they would not fit in as well and just be a mess to clean up but if you're playing with a story of Sims in the 80s cell phones would not exist and they could be used to search up available jobs and have other information. It's all about options.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    I can see them releasing one or two down the line so they can pretend that the concept is still viable, but the majority will always be clothing and sometimes BB.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    edited January 2022

I hope they're keeping them busy with Sims 5. Fingers crossed. Eyes crossed too, if it helps.
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,585 Member
    Onverser wrote: »

Other packs, like the gameplay one that's about to come out (+ future content which they plan and make well in advance) and recently there has been a lot of work towards free updates (pack refreshes, Neighborhood Stories, etc).
  • RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    I would prefer if they released more BB and Gameplay kits
    CAS is nice and all but overall I've always felt kits are more geared towards console players (given the fact they can't download custom content)
    We hadn't gotten a gameplay kit since BTD came out and I was hoping there would be more one day
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    I think their development have shifted.

Their goal is no longer to develop for the sims4 in the same amount, at least not while they are working from home.

It also feels like their direction for the sims4 have shifted too. They are focusing on niche target audiences and broader, general themes seems to have been either cancelled or left for future game and expansion packs.

A game that I used to love is turning into something else.

• rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
    logion wrote: »
    I think their development have shifted. .
    A game that I used to love is turning into something else.

I am beginning to feel the same way. Enough of these niche packs already. Also, I feel the price tag for kits is just not worth it. I have yet to buy a single kit pack.
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    I think if they were aiming for a broader, general theme, it makes sense to release it in a broader, bigger pack. I can understand the complaints that kits are specific and fairly niche, but that's kind-of the whole point of them. They're not all for everybody.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Sims 4 for me has shifted into something else since the beginning some options was good, and most options was mediocre for me. I think kits are another extension of what Sims 4 has to offer but economically for me it is better to buy SPs as the price for such few items is close to paying for an SP Kits are here to stay as long as there are players willing to pay out.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited January 2022
    I think if they were aiming for a broader, general theme, it makes sense to release it in a broader, bigger pack. I can understand the complaints that kits are specific and fairly niche, but that's kind-of the whole point of them. They're not all for everybody.

Yeah, I understand that. And for the people who wanted these kits, that's great.

But how do you keep a live service alive by releasing content that's not for everybody?