Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How many categories for musicians to license songs?

StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
I have all the game packs and want to be 100% sure I'm licensing as many songs as I can every week in my current household where one of the Sims is a famous musician.

Can anyone tell me precisely how many different categories there are?

Right now I have:

License Song: Violin, Guitar and Portable Keyboard
License Lyrics: (Seems to be a single thing with no subcategories).

So 4 total. Edit: 6 total: Lyrics, Violin, Guitar, Portable Keyboard, Piano, Pipe Organ. Each can be licensed one time per week.
DJ Mix Tracks allow licensing as well, but on a closer to a daily release schedule.

I've never had a pipe organ, in any household that I've played, but I will get one and write at least one song for licensing, making it 5 total.
The piano appears to share the portable keyboard category (which makes sense..it shares the skill as well).

Edit: Piano does have it's own category, it just didn't show up until I wrote a 2nd song on the piano for some reason. Yay.

Is there any categories that I missed?
This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
Post edited by Stormkeep on

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Just the 4.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    yes I think just the 4.
  • Options
    NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    The pipe organ is a separate category and doesn't share with the piano like the keyboard does, so it does work.

If your musician is also into DJ mixing, they can license mix tapes once a week alongside piano, guitar, violin, pipe organ, and lyrics.
  • Options
    The pipe organ is a separate category and doesn't share with the piano like the keyboard does, so it does work.

If your musician is also into DJ mixing, they can license mix tapes once a week alongside piano, guitar, violin, pipe organ, and lyrics.

I just got a music mixing station for the household earlier today and haven't used it yet. I gather you are limited to just one licensed mix tape at a time as well?
  • Options
    NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    Yeah, they mix tapes from DJ mixing act like songs and lyrics: just one once a week. The music made from the Mix Master Music Station has a cooldown period, but it can be done daily. The royalties from the music uploaded don't end. I can't say it with 100% certainty, but that was from my personal experience with it. Eventually, the older songs only ever earned me 1-2 Simoleons daily.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I'm circling back to reply to my own thread because, now that my Sim has mastered and owns every available instrument I got the answer to the question i originally asked, and it is actually not the answer that anyone gave in this thread. I just want to make sure the info here is right, in case anyone searching for the same question gets this thread as a result.

Anyway, the answer is that there are 5 instrumental categories that can be licensed once per week, plus Singing allows lyrics to be licensed once per week, for a total of 6 licensed musical compositions per week (as of January 2022, with all packs owned).
    Additionally, musical Sims who own the Mix Master Music Station and pursue the Media production skill can license a Mix track daily as well. Which is nice, seeing as the other 6 are all weekly, so it gives your Musical sims more to do.

I've updated the original post with this info.

I also thought it would be nice to list all of the different compositions a musical sim can write all in one place, seeing as all the guide sites I use have them scattered across multiple guides based on which skill they use. Hidden by spoiler tags because it's a long list:
    Mix Master Music Station-Media Production skill:
    Instrumental:
    • Ree Bines
    • Calculator Rock
    • Gom Gabrow
    w/ Vocals:
    • Rooba Vay
    • Yome
    • Arribay
    • Looling
    • Oopella
    • Plonky Zombray
    Write Lyrics-Singing Skill:
    • Smooth Jazz
    • Groovy Jazz
    • Epic Ballad
    • Mournful Lament
    Piano & Portable Keyboard-Piano Skill:
    (able to license both a Piano and Portable Keyboard song each week)
    • Classic Piece
    • Improvisational Melody
    • Whimsical Tune
    • Jazzy Piece
    • Lively Tune
    • Mysterious Theme
    Guitar
    • Dramatic Ballad
    • Relaxed Rhythm
    • Plucky Tune
    • Playful Tune
    • Mournful Lament
    Violin:
    • Folksy Tune
    • Old World piece
    • Sentimental Piece
    • Haunting Melody
    • Jaunty Strain
    Pipe Organ:
    • Phantom of the Walled Pool
    • Those Who Fear the Rising Sun
    • The Last Love Song
    • Raucous Reverberations
    • Stadium Dreams