Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Whims

Comments

• ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Getting rid of the whims was throwing the baby out with the bathwater, IMO.

Its a lot of fun playing according to the whims and seeing where it takes you. They just needed a bit of TLC.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    I'm suddenly remembering the whim to build at least a 1x1 square of pool. I wonder how long it would take to build a decent-sized pool, if you only add 1 square each time the whim pops up...
    I'm pretty sure they only have that whim if there's no pool on their lot. You'll only get it repeatedly if you delete the pool again.

I agree that following whims can make the game a bit more fun and character-led
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I use three separate mods in my game to make whims more fun. I have always been a player that plays off of what my sims want so having the developers abandon whims like they are some unimportant feature has been rather upsetting for me. I consider this feature to be part of the core gameplay in the sims.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I use three separate mods in my game to make whims more fun. I have always been a player that plays off of what my sims want so having the developers abandon whims like they are some unimportant feature has been rather upsetting for me. I consider this feature to be part of the core gameplay in the sims.

I would be interested in knowing which mods you use. I use the set of mods by @83bienchen to make them more interesting and sim-appropriate but don't know of any other specific to whims (unless you count Wonderful Whims...but that is not really a Whim mod but rather an complete sim personality overhaul).
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Sharonia wrote: »

I would be interested in knowing which mods you use. I use the set of mods by @83bienchen to make them more interesting and sim-appropriate but don't know of any other specific to whims (unless you count Wonderful Whims...but that is not really a Whim mod but rather an complete sim personality overhaul).

I’m using Whim Overhaul by Bienchen with both the Personality and Hobby mods by MissyHissy. They all work well together and I get a fairly nice selection of whims for my sims now. There is still an issue with whims not staying locked when travelling in the game that I wish would be fixed but overall these mods have improved my gameplay a lot.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I have whims in my game, I ignore the ones based on things for other packs, like the bee hive. I also fulfill wants that fit more with my Sim as well, and what I want to do with them.
    I keep whims, because it can give you points that lets you access things for your Sim, so I think that they are good for that.
    edited January 2022
    Thank you @Sharonia for the sharing the names of the mods you were talking about. They looked like excellent personality-driven whim mods so I downloaded them and started using them shortly after your post. I am very pleased with how they work.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Because so many people complained and they do listen to feedback it seems they toggled it off and now you have to enable them in the settings, but maybe many people think that it just got cancelled. That's what I thought until I found it again in the settings one day. Personally, I like them, I just want more variety and higher aspiration points.

So what was the conversation about whims though? I'm so confused, I don't really want to read that other topic to find out lol.
    Elliandre wrote: »
    So what was the conversation about whims though? I'm so confused, I don't really want to read that other topic to find out lol.

The other topic was not about Whims. The first few posts in this thread were originally over in that other thread, which is about pronouns. Then they were moved here, so those posts here are what the conversation about whims had been over there...but they aren't over there anymore. If you read them here you have found out. :)
    Stormkeep wrote: »

The other topic was not about Whims. The first few posts in this thread were originally over in that other thread, which is about pronouns. Then they were moved here, so those posts here are what the conversation about whims had been over there...but they aren't over there anymore. If you read them here you have found out. :)

Oh okay thank you so much! :heart: I'm reducing my stress levels by only reading fun topics today and all the pronoun debate topics are a little stressful to read lol.

For Whims, I don't use them often, but I think they have been improving over time. Sometimes I see them linked to traits or moods and not just socials with household members. What I would also like is if they could now be linked to what the Sims likes/dislikes are. For example, if the Sim likes knitting, then it would be nice to see, "Knit a beanie", and then also some whims with higher aspiration points if they take longer to complete. But yeah, you really do have to buy them that bee box don't you. Maybe they can link that one to the Likes Gardening or Outdoor Trait.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I play with whims on, always have - and Whim Overhaul is a must-have in my game. Might check out the other two mods that were mentioned as well. More whims are always better!
    I play with whims on, always have - and Whim Overhaul is a must-have in my game. Might check out the other two mods that were mentioned as well. More whims are always better!

I can heartily recommend those two other mods in combination with the Whim Overhaul. I've played about 6 hours now with them installed and it's really fun to see the new whims which they add, matching the personalities and hobbies which I picked for the sims in the current household.
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited January 2022
    Whim Overhaul mod by Bienchen is essential for me and was among like the first 3 mods I downloaded. I'm used to the Sims series giving me some direction which I may or may not follow so I immediately enabled whims in my game. Didn't take long to realize they did some really lazy job with the "wants" this time around. I love how with the mod a sim's personality and circumstances actually matter instead of the whims just repeating the same stupid stuff which doesn't even tie into anything.
    I like to have whims in my game because they can provide direction/ideas and I actually fairly often make choices based on them. They have caused some pretty juicy storytelling and that certainly makes the game more interesting.
    What kind of new whims do you get with the mods?
    edited January 2022

The mod package by Bienchen mostly just makes whims more targeted based on traits which the Sims have and "enhances the chances for family based whims and tunes down whims to buy new stuff. Special whims for: pregnancy, elder life stage, childhood phases, ...". Most of the whims you see will still be the same ones you have always seen, just with very different weighting such that they generally make more sense for the Sim. It is available here.

The mods by MissyHissy add quite a few custom whims, based on hobbies, personalities, traits and lifestage, such as whims to work on school projects for children, to take your grandkids to the park for grandparents, etc. Her mods list the rather significant number of new whims in the descriptions if you want to see more follow the links: Custom Whims, the Personality Mod, the Hobby Mod.
  • sazzlysarahsazzlysarah Posts: 23 Member
    Oh my word, it really has been a long time since I played Sims 4, I had no idea that Whims weren't a thing anymore! Mind = blown.
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,572 Member
    edited January 2022

What my whimoverhaul does is
    - bring back whims that are actually burried deep down in the code in a Vanilla game
    - change whims to take into account a Sims mood, buffs, traits, preferences, lifestyles, time of the day, relationships, available objects, currently active lot
    - add new whims/whimsets for new packs and basegame features
    - add new whimsets (like special whimsets for children, elders, pregnancy, certain childhood phases)
    - fix whims that are broken
    - add new whims for existing features (e.g. adopt a baby for couples where none of the partners can conceive, write excuse note)
    - add skill whims that are tied to your Sim's career.
    - add restrictions that prohibit Sims from only rolling the same whims all over again
    - make Sims less likely to forget whims that have been pinned
    - remove or cut down on some whims that don't make sense
    - - shift focus to more trait and aspiration related whims
    (- German only: fix various text strings all over the game that don't make sense)

So as you see, new whims are merely one pillar of the mod.

Some of the new whims are:
    win an award
    adopt a child
    read undercovers
    group cooking
    pet a lama
    relax with a cat/dog
    knit something
    tuck in a toddler/child
    become partners in crime with another sim
    renew vows
    throw a wedding party
    go on vacation
    bust the dust
    listen to favorite music
    play in pond
    write an excuse note
    watch certain television channels
    exchange promise rings
    give the woohoo talk
    declare weather preference
    play with clay
    play in bathtub
    hire repair
    negotiate promotion
    spam money request
    kiss cheek
    skill up toddler skills
    write love email
    retire
    kiss neck
    hold hands
    offer rose
    travel to more venues (pool, onsen, relaxation center...)
    brush teeth
    ask due date
    first woohoo
    offer to feel baby
    ask to feel baby
    console about death
    share big news
    give birth
    use face mask
    have manicure/pedicure
    special teen and trait social whims
    encourage a cat/dog to breed
    train a cat/dog
    brush a cat/dog
    imitate a cat/dog (toddlers)
    go rock climbing
    go skiing/snowboardnig/sledding
    play in sand
    sunbathe
    hold a book lecture
    milk a cow
    talk 5 times to a rabbit/bird or fox
    shear lama
    clean shed
    do canning
    pursue your hobby
    mountain excursion
    whin karaoke contest

There are also some new whims that are tied to my other mods, so you will only see them if you have installed that mod, like:
    go on nature walk
    spar with a Sim
    invest
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
    83bienchen wrote: »

What my whimoverhaul does is:
    - bring back whims that are actually burried deep down in the code in a Vanilla game
    - changes whims to take into account a Sims mood, buffs, traits, preferences, lifestyles, time of the day, relationships, available objects, currently active lot
    - adds new whims/whimsets for new packs and basegame features
    - adds new whimsets (like special whimsets for children, elders, pregnancy, certain childhood phases)
    - fixes whims that are broken
    - adds new whims for existing features (e.g. adopt a baby for couples where none of the partners can conceive, write excuse note)
    - adds skill whims that are tied to your Sim's career.
    - adds restrictions that prohibit Sims from only rolling the same whims all over again
    - makes Sims less likely to forget whims that have been pinned
    - removes or cuts down on some whims that don't make sense and thus makes available others that you'd hardly ever see in Vanilla game
    - shifts focus to more trait and aspiration related whims
    - German only: fixes various text strings all over the game that don't make sense

So as you see, new whims are merely one pillar of the mod.

Some of the new whims are:
    win an award
    adopt a child
    read undercovers
    group cooking
    pet a lama
    relax with a cat/dog
    knit something
    tuck in a toddler/child
    become partners in crime with another sim
    renew vows
    throw a wedding party
    go on vacation
    bust the dust
    listen to favorite music
    play in pond
    write an excuse note
    watch certain television channels
    exchange promise rings
    give the woohoo talk
    declare weather preference
    play with clay
    play in bathtub
    hire repair
    negotiate promotion
    spam money request
    kiss cheek
    skill up toddler skills
    write love email
    retire
    kiss neck
    hold hands
    offer rose
    travel to more venues (pool, onsen, relaxation center...)
    brush teeth
    ask due date
    first woohoo
    offer to feel baby
    ask to feel baby
    console about death
    share big news
    give birth
    use face mask
    have manicure/pedicure
    special teen and trait social whims
    encourage a cat/dog to breed

There are also some new whims that are tied to my other mods, so you will only see them if you have installed that mod, like:
    go on nature walk
    spar with a Sim
    invest

I'm going to go out a limb here and say that you just convinced anyone reading this thread who is willing to use mods to visit your site immediately if they don't already have your whimoverhaul installed. Such an amazing mod for those us who like to actually use whims in our games.

@Stormkeep Thank you the info and for the links. I see one has reward traits from Sims 2. That is really cool.
    @83bienchen You are amazing! I'm really excited to try your mod. It looks like there are a lot more fun and new whims that will pop up.
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I want return of wants/fears and aspiration meter. Why cut out something great and replace it with these whims?
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,572 Member
    Thanks, @Elliandre and @Stormkeep.

@Wolfium: I second that wholeheartedly, though I honestly see neither of it return.
    I remember the dumb wants problem was also present in TS2, but it was better than it's now. There we're some great whims like having a child grow up successfully - miss that one so much, but it cannot come back without an aspiration meter.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited January 2022
    I didn't know they were there for the longest time. I turned them on a few months ago. I don't use them much and wish they were better. Listen, devs, not everyone wants a bee box! Most of the whims are so useless.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I always loved the whims in the previous sims games! I don't use them usually in Sims 4 for all the reasons others here have given. I don't use mods but definitely am considering it once Sims 4 is ending. I don't have alot of time right now to even play, so having to move mods in and out of the game for updates worries me as am afraid to ruin my game. I think it is a shame that players have to rely on mods for features in the game that should have been there to begin with, and if modders can add them to game and make them functional, why can't EA? I am making a list of mods to add to my game in the future. 83Bienchen, your mods are definitely on my list!
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    The more I read about it, the more I want to give the whims overhaul mod a try. I generally have whims turned on and occasionally sims get a few extra points by full filling a whim. Because there is no penalty for ignoring them, I see just ignore the annoying ones and see no need to turn whims off.

I remember in sims 2 the player had to pay attention to wants and fears to keep sims in a good mood. And the wants and fears made sense for the most part. But I also remember needing a mod to tone down the wants and fears of the latest pack installed, so they weren't perfect either. But at least there were consequences.

I wish the sims team would fix whims rather than abandon them.
  • aurorabeamaurorabeam Posts: 15 Member
    The mods really enhance the gameplay a lot. I play with the whim overhaul mod and the personality mod, and now I can't understand how I ever played without them! I have to check out the hobby mod as well.

And I like that it doesn't affect sims whether or not I choose to act on the whims. As Atreya33 said, in sims 2 you had to fulfill their wants to keep them happy. But with these mods in sims 4, you get a direction of what your sims want to do, but they won't go crazy if you choose not to do so.