Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you only do one aspiration at a time?

13...Next

Comments

• SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    I use only one aspiration on my sim and I use them as life-time goal. I don't like to switch them
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    musteni wrote: »
    Aspirations are a big part of who my sims are.

I'd argue that this is a good argument for NOT limiting them to just one. A person with only a singular goal/aspiration and no other goals and aspirations is one-dimensional. That limit was one of the largest shortcomings in TS2 and TS3 in terms of helping sims feel alive, imo.

I definitely agree with this!! People talk about wanting their Sims to have more "personality" but those same people don't seem to use the aspirations and whims at all. They want it to all come from traits (and some are even ignoring the likes/dislikes which are definitely also part of personality).

But for me aspiration are an important part of their personality. I found the previous Sims versions of "aspirations" to be frustrating. So "Johnny One Note". And if you wanted to change, they made you start over if you changed back. That's not how real life works, so why should it be that way in the game. TS4's way of handling it IMHO is so much better!
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    i only play the family aspiration
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • theemaskedsimmertheemaskedsimmer Posts: 63 Member
    I usually do one at a time. Often I get so caught up in my gameplay I do not even pay attention until I need one of the rewards. I need to start switching them out and doing more once I have completed one.
  • LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    I usually do one at a time but sometimes I switch between max two.
    I don't use them to farm for points as others had said the rewards can only bring you so far.
    We need an overhaul or new ones!
    Anyways, regarding switching between two of them.
    I will do the soulmate aspiration and a family one and switch between those as an example.
    Or Party animal and friend of the world or leader of the pack for another example :)
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,554 Member
    I only play one at a time. TS2 player vibes, I guess.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Lady_LuSsh01Lady_LuSsh01 Posts: 328 Member
    cyncie wrote: »
    I tend to complete one at a time, but will sometimes switch between a couple. Right now, I have a couple of main sims that have gone through so many aspirations and have so many satisfaction points that I’ve put them on hold. I won’t spend their points because they’re in danger of becoming super sims, but I could use some new aspirations to keep them busy. Meanwhile I’m working with the supporting cast.

do you not want a super sim?
    KatAnubis wrote: »
    Hey guys I've always wanted to know how other simmers play. Do you only do one aspiration at a time or do you change it all the time depending on what your doing? I have a really bad habit of swapping mine all the time so if I'm cooking I switch it and when I'm gardening I switch it, no matter what I'm doing lol, I used to think it was for satisfaction points but now I just think its satisfaction lmao.

How do you play?

I like to switch them up. Like me, my Sims are not "Johnny One Notes" who only do one thing for their entire lives. They have a "main aspiration" (that I go back to so that I can have them specifically work on it) but then if they're doing an activity that will earn part of an aspiration, I'll switch to that one.

I too thought it was because of satisfaction points, but I find that I do this even after they've maxed out all the things they can get with satisfaction points. (And you can only stock your fridge with so many potions for later use before it gets ridiculous. So most of my elders die with tons of satisfaction points.) So it must be "satisfaction" that has me continue too.

I do the same with whims. My Sim will work on whims even when they don't need the points. I wish they had continued to add new whims (and had tuned some of them to come up less frequently. You can only buy so many bee boxes and make so many videos or musical tracks!)

lol you like me, i do try to do it with whims to but get side tracked, it adds more depth and fun.
  • jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    I forget about them.
  • JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    I tend to jump from one aspiration to another like a ferret after shiny things so that as soon as possible I can get the reward traits that makes my sim's needs less needy and makes it easier for them to do things. At first I was doing super sims, but sims that no longer have needs and have mastered nearly everything got boring. Deciding on the sim's interest (and abstaining from totally blocking out the needs) makes sims more interesting to me, like a sim who really goes for the creative aspirations but shy's away from the tech stuff that the knowledge aspirations require. But my latest sim, (yet another) Rags to Riches, was too busy to work on ANY aspiration till latter on and that's been the most fun I've had in a while.
    The cake is a lie
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    I switch them constantly, and then get annoyed with myself when I forget to switch them back before doing a particular activity.
    I relate to this 100%.

Yeah, I too tend to switch them around working towards completing multiple ones at the same time. However, I am picky over what Aspirations I will do. I won't pick ones which don't fit the characer I'm playing.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited January 2022
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    musteni wrote: »
    Aspirations are a big part of who my sims are.

I'd argue that this is a good argument for NOT limiting them to just one. A person with only a singular goal/aspiration and no other goals and aspirations is one-dimensional. That limit was one of the largest shortcomings in TS2 and TS3 in terms of helping sims feel alive, imo.

I have so many sims that juggling several aspirations and remembering what everyone worked with is just too much. I don't feel they're one-dimensional because they focus on one aspiration at a time. I feel like having many at a time is just point grinding.
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    No, you can earn more points faster if you switch. Some of them could already be fulfilled.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    usually one at a time, but every now and then I have a sim who has multiple going at the same time and I switch depending on what they are doing.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

RavenSpit wrote: »
    usually one at a time, but every now and then I have a sim who has multiple going at the same time and I switch depending on what they are doing.

i hear that, makes sense
  • aurorabeamaurorabeam Posts: 15 Member
    I always play one at a time (although I don't always complete them) and I have never really thought much about switching them, but it sounds like a great idea that I will have to try out! :)
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,552 Member
    edited January 2022
    cyncie wrote: »
    I tend to complete one at a time, but will sometimes switch between a couple. Right now, I have a couple of main sims that have gone through so many aspirations and have so many satisfaction points that I’ve put them on hold. I won’t spend their points because they’re in danger of becoming super sims, but I could use some new aspirations to keep them busy. Meanwhile I’m working with the supporting cast.

do you not want a super sim?

No, I really don’t. For a character to be interesting, they have to have weaknesses as well as strengths, and something to work toward. I have one sim that has enough satisfaction points to purchase every perk. I have given him the ones that make sense for his character. Any more and there will be nothing left to do with him. He’s also gone through most of the aspirations that make sense for him. I’ve recently added a few packs, and at least one of the new aspirations might work to give me something new for him. Otherwise I might be searching for some mods to help.