Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When do you start playing a new sim?

After playing a sim for a few days or weeks, what makes you say "That's enough of you" ?!?!?

When do you start playing a new sim? 115 votes

After they die a horrible death at my hands
0%
DoodlyDoofus 1 vote
After they reach the top of their profession and they have enough simoleons
1%
bshag4lvBlueOvale 2 votes
After I get bored of their every day routine
2%
DarkLady2788twinklestick Benjamilian 3 votes
After they have children
2%
fiercephoenix91OldeseadoggeElisetom 3 votes
I play rotationaly, so I switch all the time
47%
crocobauraCK213Cabelle1863TheSpotted_CIsb917elanorbretonncisGibbs02BoergeAarg61Mindofycrebo19Yautjagirlskybird14taydevblueyblueskyFLaurieDoloresGreyLatinaBunnyEnkiSchmidtModerateOspreyLiELF 55 votes
After I get bored of them, no specific milestone needed
21%
Stace1234566MelisendreMariefoxprice83WyrrenladybreidFroilkiwi84Daravibixtersbenson2006SelinaKylesOnverserEvaliynInternal_ChaosMDianaSimsfilipomelPhillipaErdnussChicklet453681logionAmandèle 25 votes
Other (comment)
22%
SikoahGraceStormkeephaneulsimgirl1010friendlysimmersg01denswanalanmichael1goodcakebaker62KironidephantasmkissXxAirixXcyncieKyreRoenHillyBethAtreya33WildIrishBansheeGlacierSnowSimmingalDaWaterRatmanicobsessive 26 votes

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,832 Member
    Other (comment)
    Only for the scenarios. Otherwise it's my same family I've been playing for years.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,636 Member
    Other (comment)
    When I finish telling their story.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Other (comment)
    I play my own homebrew version of legacy challenge, following a family through the generations, so I play Sims until they die...but not at my hands. Usually of old age, but also sometimes due to ... other events.

But I also switch to playing their children as separate households once the children have grown because I don't leave them in the same legacy family house, but rather send them out in the world, so at that point I'm also playing rotational, at least until the older generation dies. Or even after they die if the legacy heir has siblings which I rotate between.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    Other (comment)
    I start playing new sim(s) when I create a new story. Sometimes, new packs inspire me, but not every time.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    I rotate between my different households but without a certain milestone, usually just chose a household to play when I start the game.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member

I play rotationally. Sometimes I play a household for days, sometimes only for 10 minutes, so it's always different and depends what part of the game I want to play. I don't think I've ever gone more than a week without switching lots though, but I used to play generations of the Goths, Calientes, Burbs and Brokes in Sims 2.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    Other (comment)
    When I've completed whatever story I wanted to tell with them.

What that story is, I figure out as I go. If a given generation of a particular legacy ends up without a compelling story, I'll move on to their kids (or one of their siblings, or one of their sibling's kids.)
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    My option - When they have kids - should have been - When they have kids I move them out and switch to them - .
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited January 2022
    Other (comment)
    A bit of "All of the above" at times, but mostly it depends on the sim I'm playing at any given time and how invested I am in their ongoing story. My "play" is really a creative process for stories, so sometimes it's a little like work. If I get bored, it's usually because either something in the story isn't working or non-story (and non-game) factors are invading my playtime. If it's story stuff, I do something to shake it up and see what falls out. Sometimes that means making new sims to throw into the mix, and sometimes it just means solving puzzles of a sort as I search for ways to make that particular story better.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    edited January 2022
    I would like to make stories too, but it's not that easy with the options we're given. Or I lack the imagination. That's why I enjoyed Strangerville so much. I think they should release more content like that, even if they're really small chain quests like a proper mmo would do. So far stories in my game are all about becoming a respectful member of society. It gets boring. I remember I had the opportunity to steal a contestant's pie at the fair, that would have steered the story somewhere interesting, especially if I had been caught. But I don't want anything bad to happen to my sims! They don't die, they don't get demoted, they help their roommates with their needs, they stay young, they become successful, the end. Then I create a new sim.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I tend to play multiple households in the same save file.
    Which family I play depends on my mood, and how their household is going. For example, if I have a pregnant Sim, I will play the family until the baby is born.
    Other times I may bounce around with what my goal is that day. If I want to have a Sim advance in a certain career, get enough money to buy a house, etc.
    Otherwise, I may play them, because I just want to.
    Also, I feel that having multiple families in a save file makes the world more alive to me.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    BlueOvale wrote: »
    After playing a sim for a few days or weeks, what makes you say "That's enough of you" ?!?!?

I play rotational. Trouble is I play more, I make more Sims so each cycle gets bigger and some Sims I never get back to.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I play with all of the premade families, switching families keeps the game more fun for me.
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited January 2022
    Other (comment)
    • When I want a new experiment, but don't want to mess up any of my other saves.
      Note: This is why I have too many saves.
    • After I get bored of them, no specific milestone needed.
      Note: This is why I build.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Other (comment)
    Whenever I want. Whenever I have a new idea. You know, whenever lol.
  • jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    edited January 2022
    Other (comment)
    For my main sim, I will only stop playing her if she's going to die at the elderly stage. She's still a young adult, and I only age them when I feel like it's the time. She's going to marry soon and have kids.

In the future, after she'll die, I'm going to play one of her kids (planning for her to have at least 10 kids or more).

I do switch to other saves for a while if I get bored. I have 2 other saves, one of which is where I'm having contests for sims like Survivor or Big Brother challenges lol
  • StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    I'm in the rotational camp too. Often I will create a family, and jumping from sim to sim is quite a fun process. I like to see where they lead me. It's emergent gameplay which is a fancy industry buzzword.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    edited January 2022
    Other (comment)
    When I have an interesting idea for a new sim or story to play. For me the inspiration for the new sim is just as important as the situation of the last sim I was playing. I mostly finished a certain step with a current sim like an aspiration, a promotion or raising their children to adulthood and then I move on to the next one. The old ones are still in my save in case I want to go back to them.
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,181 Member
    After they die a horrible death at my hands
    Heh heh, yeah.
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I bounce around all over the place. Sometimes I'll take an NPC and raise them up to the highest career level or take them on a Granite Falls/Selvadorada vacation or I'll take the kids of my prior-generation sims and follow their adult lives. Other times, sims I've played briefly in stories that went nowhere get brought out to feature in some story I'm telling on the forum (I've done two "musical theater" bits, setting a bunch of screenshots to song lyrics, and have plans to do more. The hard part's finding classic songs that have words that fit well with the game's theming.) I've even nicknamed such sims the "Background Players".

My simworld's coming up on its 2-year anniversary (Feb. 20) on this computer. One save and over a thousand hours.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    I rotate between a lot of different save files. I also have few saves in which I rotate between households.

I have a bad habit of starting new saves and I've tried not to do it too often. I haven't succeeded yet, but last year I was able to cut it down a lot. I'm trying to do better this year, so far I haven't started any new ones or created any new Sims. :)
  • mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    I play rotationally and I don’t really have any rules on when I rotate. I switch when I get bored, sometimes I wait until they hit certain milestones. And I’m constantly getting ideas for new sims I want to make so I frequently add new sims to the save. And sometimes if I get really tired of a household and don’t see myself wanting to play them again I just mark them as unplayed and they become townies in my save.
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,109 Member
    Other (comment)
    I have started a legacy save where I play a family until the 'heir' goes off to uni and moves out, and then I switch to their story. I am still on the first gen though and the heir is still a child, so not quite there yet!
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    From September 2014 to March 2020. I only played one game save of a mix of households who where mostly singles & couples. Then in April 2020, I began to make different timeline game saves which are;
    Prehistoric-Biblical/Mythical, Ancient-Dark Ages, Medieval-Renissance, Georgian-Ragtime, Roaring 20s-Awesome 80s, Futuristic-Beyond for my different timeline households. <3
    Also, in November 2020 I started my first Legacy Challenge of Snow White.
    I now have a combination of Adam & Eve's Legacy, Snow White's continuing Legacy, Fairy Tale households, Multiple Cultures, Superheroes, SiFi households & my Doctor Who Legacy (he's his own Father, Grandfather, Great-Grandfather & so on...) Lol. :p

Then when I do finally get bored for a little while, I just go play my Sims 3 & Civilization VI. ;)
  • pompomPoropompomPoro Posts: 6 New Member
    Everytime I have the urge to build a new house, I leave the current household I'm playing, make the house, and then put a family in it. It always depends on the most efforted house I made and how it looks so good I wanna stay in that household for a while. Then switch with the old families to see how they're doing.