Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CAS and styles - can I customize the style of CC?

Been more focused on styles lately, but as 40% of my CAS is CC I constantly get the feeling that my sim is missing out on many clothing options if limiting to one style. And - most CC seems to be rather randomly coded.
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    I'm not sure what you mean, do you mean can you re-tag CC clothing so that it appears in other categories?

I'm pretty sure you can do that in S4S, just open the package up and under tags is what it's tagged as and you can tick any boxes you want the item to appear in, then save the package and the next time you open up CAS those items should be in the category you chose now.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    edited January 2022
    Thanks. I mean when I choose say the "Country" style in CAS, I want to see all CC that is Country looking. Some CC were obviously created on the base of a piece of clothes that was tagged for another category, so it won't show up in the Country category even if it belongs there, visually. If it was based on something in the "Rocker" category, it will show up as suitable for a Rocker.

I checked in S4S but could not find any section referring to styles. Besides, I think CC might contain different tag possibilities depending on when they were created. The tag sections vary a little bit from item to item. Like for some I can set what material they are made from, while others can't. I think some of those tag sections were not there from the start, but as all CC works fine any tag slots added after the creation should be there as empty slots.

Btw, I might not have the very last S4S version, but it's not very old (6 months?), so if categories were ever covered they should be long before the version I got.

Added: Maybe it is possible to adjust style tags only for CC that was copied from items with the style tag categories added already.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    I poked around in S4S, of which I have the newest version, and I see no place to specify the tags specific to the CAS filters which you are talking about.
    The information does show up though if you look on the "text" tab when viewing an item in S4S, so it looks like what you'd need to do is directly edit the text fields to reclassify CC. I find this interesting, that S4S chooses to just not have a place with checkboxes for setting that. Maybe it is an oversight by the developers of S4S.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    I poked around in S4S, of which I have the newest version, and I see no place to specify the tags specific to the CAS filters which you are talking about.
    The information does show up though if you look on the "text" tab when viewing an item in S4S, so it looks like what you'd need to do is directly edit the text fields to reclassify CC. I find this interesting, that S4S chooses to just not have a place with checkboxes for setting that. Maybe it is an oversight by the developers of S4S.

Thanks for looking into it! Yeah, would be so much easier if styles had their own section of check boxes like other specs have. I'll not taking the time to edit files in other ways, got to many of them.
    edited January 2022
    I hear you there. I have too much cc to take the time to do it that way either.

I created a brand new CC cowboy hat, using the game's base cowboy hat as the starting point, to look into this for this thread. Even that brand new CAS item made with an item already set with the "Country" style has no checkboxes for those styles...so it is definitely just not a feature of S4S.
    I noticed this too when DHD came out and the preferences were added. I'm a BB CC creator so I wanted to tag my packages to reflect the correct design styles and S4S had no option for this.

You could try to look at TSRW, I'm not sure if there's a way on that program to do it or not. I'm not overly familiar with that program.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Maybe it's not possible to tag recolours, only meshes?
    edited January 2022
    crocobaura wrote: »

It's entirely possible, mesh or no mesh. It's just not a feature that S4S gives checkboxes for, regardless of whether it's a mesh or a just a recolor. You could still do it by editing directly as text. It is even quite straight forward to do so...just more effort is required than what a simple checkbox would take.
    crocobaura wrote: »

My CC creations are made with brand new custom meshes I created in blender, they aren't recolors of game objects. I think it's just that S4S doesn't have this option.
    Interesting to follow your discussion, although I'm not a creator myself (just did a few recolors). At some point I will probably be forced to stop adding CC, maybe then I will make a plan for recoding those text files. Not this week, nor the next ;)
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    S4S does have options to change the style tags, but as far as I know, not from the My CC section. After you open up S4S, you can choose My Projects and select a package file to edit. Once it's open, use the Warehouse tab and from there use the Data tab on the right to scroll to Tags (near the bottom), and then click on the Edit Items button. But you do have to do this for each CAS Part in the main Warehouse section, so it would be very time consuming to undertake a project of updating every piece of CC you have. :grimace: But... it is possible.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
    VeeDub wrote: »
    S4S does have options to change the style tags, but as far as I know, not from the My CC section. After you open up S4S, you can choose My Projects and select a package file to edit. Once it's open, use the Warehouse tab and from there use the Data tab on the right to scroll to Tags (near the bottom), and then click on the Edit Items button. But you do have to do this for each CAS Part in the main Warehouse section, so it would be very time consuming to undertake a project of updating every piece of CC you have. :grimace: But... it is possible.

It also doesn't have the style categories there by default, even on items which already have those tags, though you can add it.

At that point, it's probably faster just doing it with direct text editing using copy-pasta, imo. It involves quite a few clicks doing it through the Warehouse tags, and the tag list drop down is a stupidly long list to scroll through.
    VeeDub wrote: »

It also doesn't have the style categories there by default, even on items which already have those tags, though you can add it.

At that point, it's probably faster just doing it with direct text editing using copy-pasta, imo. It involves quite a few clicks doing it through the Warehouse tags, and the tag list drop down is a stupidly long list to scroll through.

Agreed, though I've never tried using direct text editing. I've only used the Warehouse method on occasions for a few specific CC items that I felt absolutely needed to be changed. Otherwise, taking on all the CC I have with minor tagging errors might've (read would have) driven me mad. :lol:
    @VeeDub Thanks for the info and mini tutorial on how to do it! I learn SIMthing new everyday! I never knew that and try to avoid the Warehouse tab in S4S if possible, because it intimidates me! LOL. But I think the styles I saw listed may only be for CAS items, not BB. I will investigate further with something I know is tagged in a certain design style to try and learn more. I would like to be able to set my creations to the appropriate design style for those that actually play the DHD career and use CC.
    Ah... Although it sounds a bit tedious for my "trillions" of CAS CC, I did create a BB item some time ago that failed because I wanted to give it a certain tag that I didn't get quite right in S4S. I never used Warehouse though, so I will see if I get any smarter by checking your method :)
    @VeeDub Thanks for the info and mini tutorial on how to do it! I learn SIMthing new everyday! I never knew that and try to avoid the Warehouse tab in S4S if possible, because it intimidates me! LOL. But I think the styles I saw listed may only be for CAS items, not BB. I will investigate further with something I know is tagged in a certain design style to try and learn more. I would like to be able to set my creations to the appropriate design style for those that actually play the DHD career and use CC.

You're welcome. :) And you may be right about the tags. I've never tried that with BB stuff, so I'd be interested in what you learn from your experimenting. Good luck!

Hm, I just looked around a bit in S4S again, but I could not find the "text" tab when looking at a CC item.

Maybe you meant when looking at an EA item before creating the CC? Or is the "text " tab something brand new in STS? I used the software weekly for yeas, so it hurts me that I'm confuzzled, LOL.
    Hm, I just looked around a bit in S4S again, but I could not find the "text" tab when looking at a CC item.

Maybe you meant when looking at an EA item before creating the CC? Or is the "text " tab something brand new in STS? I used the software weekly for yeas, so it hurts me that I'm confuzzled, LOL.

First you have to go to the "Warehouse" tab on the left side, once you are there, the "text" tab is an option over on the right side.

First you have to go to the "Warehouse" tab on the left side, once you are there, the "text" tab is an option over on the right side.

Ah, I think I must have installed a version without the Warehouse feature. Probably left it out to occupy less resources on my low-end computer. Thanx anyway.