Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Customizable Pronouns First Look

Comments

• StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    @Onverser Thanks, that helped!
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Also from what they were saying this is most likely how it'd look in game

dqqn232.png
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Did they say anything about other languages?

I don‘t like this pronoun update, sorry. I‘m not going to use this option and don‘t see the point of having it in your face all the time. They could have hidden it in the gender settings menu.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    SnaveXs wrote: »
    I thought they would be further along than showing us a concept art but I don't really like the placement near the name. I feel there should be a profile category in CAS. I would put information like pronouns, sexuality, relationship status, hometown, currently live and career in the profile. The hometown option is to create a background story. You could say your sims is from Strangerville but currently lives in Willow Creek. Then there could be an option to like or dislike hometown. Just a thought.

Hm that's interesting but I would like this to particularly choose which 'homeless' townies spawn as walkbys in which worlds. This would be an awesome addition for players that want that type of immersion. @EA_Cade
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    That is unnecessary, IMO ^

I think you're right.

Oh wait, maybe it's for players who can't remember what to call their sims.

Then again... I'd think that if a player can't remember, it may not have been important to that player anyway.

Um... the rather flippant comment aside, it is also useful for townies and premades.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited January 2022

I think you're right.

Then again... I'd think that if a player can't remember, it may not have been important to that player anyway.

What could be cool is a sim having to discover a target sim's preference of address through interactions?
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    Did they say anything about other languages?
    They said A LOT about other languages. They're taking time to work out the logistics of doing this well across the 18 languages they provide translations for.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member

I think you're right.

Um... the rather flippant comment aside, it is also useful for townies and premades.

Sure, but as others have mentioned, they could just put it in a sim's profile to avoid extra on-screen clutter. People that want to know (whether or not they've forgotten) could still easily find the info.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    Onverser wrote: »
    dqqn232.png

Thank you for this post. I was concerned they'd appear after the name like in CAS and I did not watch the live stream so had no knowledge on what is planned beyond what people are saying here.

I'd hate it if they were right after the name in that large font, but I'm okay with it in the smaller font under the name next to the life stage. Almost would call it the perfect place for it, to be honest.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member

I think you're right.

What could be cool is a sim having to discover a target sim's preference of address through interactions?

Yeah, that would be very cool. Maybe they plan on doing that at some point in the future.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    @LiELF, I share your feelings. I don't want to have to take the time to input that every time I make a Sim. My assumption is, however, that I won't have to. That not doing anything at all will mean it reverts to defaults. That's how, literally, everything else in CAS works. Other than inputting a name you don't have to change or alter a single thing if you don't want to and you still get a perfectly usable Sim.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    @LiELF, I share your feelings. I don't want to have to take the time to input that every time I make a Sim. My assumption is, however, that I won't have to. That not doing anything at all will mean it reverts to defaults. That's how, literally, everything else in CAS works. Other than inputting a name you don't have to change or alter a single thing if you don't want to and you still get a perfectly usable Sim.

As ever these things all boil down to options. Much could be solved by a player being able to go into options and set the default pronouns desired by the player for all new sims created by the game. A detailed options screen would be a boon to the game, IMO.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
    The responses to this makes me feel really sad; so many people feeling genuinely attacked by it, somehow.
    Even using words like "cringe" and other dismissive language to show disrespect.

Just like many did when the gender options appeared, or when trans and genderqueer premades appeared (the fact that so many "nice simmers" spend hours "remake" the trans premades is really sad to me and shows an immense lack of understanding and respect.
    LiELF wrote: »
    See, this is the main problem that I see people having with the entire pronoun argument. It leads into gay/straight erasure

Sorry, but that is an outright lie, and sound like the typical argument of anti-trans hate groups.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Onverser wrote: »

dqqn232.png

This looks cluttered, I very much hope I am not going to be forced to have it displayed like this,
  • LeccaLecca Posts: 126 Member
    Really upsetting that a game that allows us to customize characters is giving us more customization options. I already decide my sims name, age, clothes, hair color, eye color, traits, preferences, posture, foot size, how far their ears stick out, etc. but I draw the line at having to click a drop down menu. And they want us to have a few more words on the screen??? They’ve gone too far. Seems like they’re going to continue making sims more complex, personable, and unique. Soon everyone will be able to make sims exactly how they want. How terrible.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Icewolf wrote: »
    Okay. Here's my thing. As I said in another thread, I like that they made the options flexible. People are free to make up whatever they want. But I also do not want any pronouns showing up in live mode with the Sim's name. This is where the game stops being the fictional world of my own choosing ("play your way", right??) and starts to force real world drama into my face. The whole reason I play this game is to create my own world, how I want it, and as far away from reality as I want it. My Sims don't need gender identity because they are fictional beings in a fictional world existing in fictional ways and they don't have social politics. They don't need pronouns, especially in real world languages because they speak Simlish. They don't need inclusion because it's not an issue in the first place in their world. So I would very much appreciate it if we could default to a Sim's sex, the way all of the past games have, and make this pronoun thing optional altogether.

I know it's going to be hard for some people to understand, but I play this game for escapism, amusement, laughter and to weave whatever my creativity demands in the moment. My real life has been hard and I want to leave it behind when I load up the game. I don't play for political ideals or realistic life conquests or Utopias. I play for me. And if the company truly wants to claim inclusivity, how about sticking to the long-time brand idea that every player makes the game what they want it to be? Isn't that the purpose of the Sims 4 campaign when they say things like, "you do you, wherever you want to"? The entire pronoun movement is for a specific group of people. Power to them, they should have it in their games if they want it, I'm not trying to contradict that. But why does it look like it's becoming a core focus that all players are going to have to deal with? Are rotational players who play a bazillion Sims (like me) going to have to go through a bunch of nonsense and select pronouns for every single one just so the game can recognize them? And what happens if we don't? Where does the game default? If it defaults to non-binary because of the language of pronouns, then does that mean the mechanics will never be able to incorporate sexual identities like gay or straight? Because that's a problem. You can't claim to be "inclusive" and not allow for sexual identities too, especially when past games did.

See, this is the main problem that I see people having with the entire pronoun argument. It leads into gay/straight erasure because suddenly people aren't "allowed" to have gender (or rather, sex) preferences or it's considered some kind of phobic. I have a gay friend who plays Sims and straight up wants all of his Sims to be exclusively gay. I have a lesbian friend who is self-described "butch" who is constantly being "pronoun analyzed" in real life because she wears men's clothes, plays male characters in rpgs and renaissance faires and has male alter egos, yet proudly identifies as a woman and wants an exclusively female world. But in seven years our Sims haven't even shown a semblance of sexual identity and even autonomously flirt with random other Sims. We have no way of choosing preferences and the game doesn't seem to even acknowledge our choices. If all Sims become gender neutral by default just so the scripting can accommodate pronouns, does this mean we will never have these choices? I'm sorry, but that's upsetting.

I don't really want to be the one running around and yelling "the sky is falling" because of one sneak peek. Maybe in the end it will all work out. But I do want to make sure that the devs have truly considered what they're doing and how it will affect the game (and players) down the line.

This is exactly how I feel about this whole situation. I honestly hate all this pronoun hype and I wish we could just keep real life things out of the game. And I think that this pronoun trend will pass in a few years too. So all of this feels so unnecessary. But, as long as they make it optional, then great. But I'm still worried that they will try make everything gender neutral to please the minority.
    I agree. The Sims 4 is going to age so poorly.
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,331 EA Community Manager
    Okay. Here's my thing. As I said in another thread, I like that they made the options flexible. People are free to make up whatever they want. But I also do not want any pronouns showing up in live mode with the Sim's name. This is where the game stops being the fictional world of my own choosing ("play your way", right??) and starts to force real world drama into my face. The whole reason I play this game is to create my own world, how I want it, and as far away from reality as I want it. My Sims don't need gender identity because they are fictional beings in a fictional world existing in fictional ways and they don't have social politics. They don't need pronouns, especially in real world languages because they speak Simlish. They don't need inclusion because it's not an issue in the first place in their world. So I would very much appreciate it if we could default to a Sim's sex, the way all of the past games have, and make this pronoun thing optional altogether.

I know it's going to be hard for some people to understand, but I play this game for escapism, amusement, laughter and to weave whatever my creativity demands in the moment. My real life has been hard and I want to leave it behind when I load up the game. I don't play for political ideals or realistic life conquests or Utopias. I play for me. And if the company truly wants to claim inclusivity, how about sticking to the long-time brand idea that every player makes the game what they want it to be? Isn't that the purpose of the Sims 4 campaign when they say things like, "you do you, wherever you want to"? The entire pronoun movement is for a specific group of people. Power to them, they should have it in their games if they want it, I'm not trying to contradict that. But why does it look like it's becoming a core focus that all players are going to have to deal with? Are rotational players who play a bazillion Sims (like me) going to have to go through a bunch of nonsense and select pronouns for every single one just so the game can recognize them? And what happens if we don't? Where does the game default? If it defaults to non-binary because of the language of pronouns, then does that mean the mechanics will never be able to incorporate sexual identities like gay or straight? Because that's a problem. You can't claim to be "inclusive" and not allow for sexual identities too, especially when past games did.

See, this is the main problem that I see people having with the entire pronoun argument. It leads into gay/straight erasure because suddenly people aren't "allowed" to have gender (or rather, sex) preferences or it's considered some kind of phobic. I have a gay friend who plays Sims and straight up wants all of his Sims to be exclusively gay. I have a lesbian friend who is self-described "butch" who is constantly being "pronoun analyzed" in real life because she wears men's clothes, plays male characters in rpgs and renaissance faires and has male alter egos, yet proudly identifies as a woman and wants an exclusively female world. But in seven years our Sims haven't even shown a semblance of sexual identity and even autonomously flirt with random other Sims. We have no way of choosing preferences and the game doesn't seem to even acknowledge our choices. If all Sims become gender neutral by default just so the scripting can accommodate pronouns, does this mean we will never have these choices? I'm sorry, but that's upsetting.

I don't really want to be the one running around and yelling "the sky is falling" because of one sneak peek. Maybe in the end it will all work out. But I do want to make sure that the devs have truly considered what they're doing and how it will affect the game (and players) down the line.

I feel that the team showed yesterday that they were approaching this topic with respect and a healthy amount of caution that it deserves, and that they also showed that this was far from fully fleshed out at the current stage as all the in game content showcased was a work in progress.

I've no idea if this will be an optional aspect that can be enabled/disabled or not, but there is a lot of speculation in your post and other posts in this thread at the moment, none of which has been formally announced by Maxis.

All I'm asking is that you reserve judgement until we have more to offer you in terms of information on this project.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
    Icewolf wrote: »

This is exactly how I feel about this whole situation. I honestly hate all this pronoun hype and I wish we could just keep real life things out of the game. And I think that this pronoun trend will pass in a few years too. So all of this feels so unnecessary. But, as long as they make it optional, then great. But I'm still worried that they will try make everything gender neutral to please the minority.
    I agree. The Sims 4 is going to age so poorly.

Yeah, just like the "gay people" will disappear too, right?