Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you only do one aspiration at a time?

Hey guys I've always wanted to know how other simmers play. Do you only do one aspiration at a time or do you change it all the time depending on what your doing? I have a really bad habit of swapping mine all the time so if I'm cooking I switch it and when I'm gardening I switch it, no matter what I'm doing lol, I used to think it was for satisfaction points but now I just think its satisfaction lmao.

How do you play?

Comments

• invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I switch them constantly, and then get annoyed with myself when I forget to switch them back before doing a particular activity.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Lady_LuSsh01Lady_LuSsh01 Posts: 328 Member
    omg I'm the same, swear it like an OCD thing lol :#
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    If my sim hasn't completed the current aspiration when a new pack releases I usually switch then. I love this feature.
    Thats a good way of doing it, but my brain just wants to do it all lol
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    I'm usually working on more than one aspiration at a time with each Sim, so I'm switching pretty frequently as I vary which one is what that Sim is working on at that very moment.
    I try to stick to just 2 or 3 different ones which make the most sense for the Sim's personality and career/education goals at any given time though....just to save my own sanity.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
    I like your approach as well. I never thought of doing it that way.

You're an old-school simmer, I assume? We were conditioned in TS2 and TS3 to only be able to do one aspiration/lifetime wish at a time.
    Stormkeep wrote: »

You're an old-school simmer, I assume? We were conditioned in TS2 and TS3 to only be able to do one aspiration/lifetime wish at a time.

Right no its all systems go, how do you post screen shots here?
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 949 Member
    Only one aspiration per sim at a time.
    Only one aspiration per sim at a time.

i guess it makes it easier to not get side tracked

Right no its all systems go, how do you post screen shots here?

You need to have the image hosted somewhere else online and then paste the url image link into the box that comes up when you click the button for adding pictures that is at the top of the new-post interface here. https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15923198/#Comment_15923198

To get the actual image link, what I do is right click the picture where I have it hosted and select "Copy Image Link". Not all browsers support that though, and not all image hosting sites either. I use Tumblr for where I post them first, and it works fine from there.
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    I have a main one in mind for each of them, but if there's anything holding them up, I switch to another in the meanwhile. The two fortune ones can be switched once in a while to scoop up points accrued, and if anyone's asked on a date, I switch their aspiration to a romance one. The first level of the fitness one can be switched to for a while, at the weekend, or whenever there's a chance to pump iron.

Yup. 😄 Been Simming since day one.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited January 2022
    I do one at a time. At one point I kept switching aspirations, but I think it creates a welcomed challenge and adds to the character of the sim when I stick to just one. I will change it though if I feel the aspiration no longer matches my sim's goals. Aspirations are a big part of who my sims are.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,301 Member
    I either ignore aspirations completely because I'm too busy with my own storyline, or I switch between a few different aspirations that fit the story I'm playing. For example, I've got a couple sims working on the Strangerville mystery, but I only activate that aspiration while they're actually working on it. At other times they each have a couple different aspirations they can work on at home. And while they were on vacation in Granite Falls, I switched them to the "outdoor enthusiast" aspiration to represent the idea that they were getting away from their ordinary lives while they were on vacation.

I love that we are able to do that in Sims 4. It makes sense to me because most people in real life aren't single-mindedly focused on accomplishing only one thing at a time, so sims changing their goals in different situations, and then coming back around to old goals later, makes them seem more real to me. And, because I play with aging turned off, I like to take a really long time to actually accomplish the aspirations. If I do one aspiration at a time, it gets completed way too quickly.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,364 Member
    I tend to switch between them constantly when I want the points, otherwise I don't really bother with them.
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    When creating a sim I choose an aspiration based on the bonus trait it comes with, and then will often change the aspiration once I begin playing with them to something more character appropriate, or with an aspiration reward I want for my sim.

In terms of collecting aspiration points, aspirations are ok but it’s way easier to have a couple pets as you can “feel the love” and collect a ton of points this way.
    musteni wrote: »
    I do one at a time. At one point I kept switching aspirations, but I think it creates a welcomed challenge and adds to the character of the sim when I stick to just one. I will change it though if I feel the aspiration no longer matches my sim's goals. Aspirations are a big part of who my sims are.

i might try to do just one sometime
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Nay, I actually like to give my sims selected Aspirations by using the cheats. :p
    edited January 2022
    musteni wrote: »
    Aspirations are a big part of who my sims are.

I'd argue that this is a good argument for NOT limiting them to just one. A person with only a singular goal/aspiration and no other goals and aspirations is one-dimensional. That limit was one of the largest shortcomings in TS2 and TS3 in terms of helping sims feel alive, imo.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I've been trying to remember to switch them out recently - I didn't know they could be switched for the longest time.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    IF I play with aspirations, I switch ‘em out occasionally.
    I began doing that when Jungle Adventures was released, because I needed my sim to be both an archaeologist and a jungle explorer. Whenever the opportunity arises I’d jump between several aspirations to fulfill one or two goals. Yes, sometimes I forget to switch.

I usually have 2 to 5 active aspirations running in the background, most of them adventure related, i.e. become a survivalist, scoundrel, an archaeologist, a jungle explorer and a Strangerville Hero.
    The survivalist aspiration is quite tedious and often takes too long to complete, so I usually cheat when I need some of the rewards right away. It entirely depends on the story.

Most of the time I don’t care about satisfaction points, I’d cheat those regardless, but that doesn’t mean I’m lazy or impatient.
    I just love the journey itself, eager like a happy pupper. 🐶
    Isharell wrote: »
    I've been trying to remember to switch them out recently - I didn't know they could be switched for the longest time.

yeah i used to think you had to stick to one, but since discovering you can mix it up, its a lot more fun and goal orientated.
    IF I play with aspirations, I switch ‘em out occasionally.
    I began doing that when Jungle Adventures was released, because I needed my sim to be both an archaeologist and a jungle explorer. Whenever the opportunity arises I’d jump between several aspirations to fulfill one or two goals. Yes, sometimes I forget to switch.

I usually have 2 to 5 active aspirations running in the background, most of them adventure related, i.e. become a survivalist, scoundrel, an archaeologist, a jungle explorer and a Strangerville Hero.
    The survivalist aspiration is quite tedious and often takes too long to complete, so I usually cheat when I need some of the rewards right away. It entirely depends on the story.

Most of the time I don’t care about satisfaction points, I’d cheat those regardless, but that doesn’t mean I’m lazy or impatient.
    I just love the journey itself, eager like a happy pupper. 🐶

you know ive never really used the adventure aspirations, i might have to try them. you defo have a lot going at once, i love it <3
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I switch aspirations a lot.

I find there is a little bit of friction with the game being halted and then you have to rummage around in the aspirations selector. Be nice if there was a menu where you could select them on the fly. It would also be nice if the game recognised when you have selected an aspiration for each sim and so stages are completed/points earned even if that is not the active aspiration.

For example, if you had selected to follow both Renaissance Sim and Soulmate and RS was active, you would get the stage for SM by going on a date.

Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
    I switch aspirations a lot.

I find there is a little bit of friction with the game being halted and then you have to rummage around in the aspirations selector. Be nice if there was a menu where you could select them on the fly. It would also be nice if the game recognised when you have selected an aspiration for each sim and so stages are completed/points earned even if that is not the active aspiration.

For example, if you had selected to follow both Renaissance Sim and Soulmate and RS was active, you would get the stage for SM by going on a date.

omg yes that would be great, i hate when i forget to switch aspirations and miss out.