Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Customizable Pronouns First Look

Comments

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    A pronoun/custom pronoun option bar in the settings I think would work really well. If its switched off, you wont see it in CAS, it wont show up next to your name, and it wont generate for random townies.

110% Agree.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    Cool, not something I will use, but stoked it's there for those who will.
  • Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    I thought they would be further along than showing us a concept art but I don't really like the placement near the name. I feel there should be a profile category in CAS. I would put information like pronouns, sexuality, relationship status, hometown, currently live and career in the profile. The hometown option is to create a background story. You could say your sims is from Strangerville but currently lives in Willow Creek. Then there could be an option to like or dislike hometown. Just a thought.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I am happy for those who wanted it.

For me, It is ok to have this feature, but personally I do not understand the pronouns being an issue, because I live in a country where every pronoun is not gender specific. (the word "siya" can be for both genders). I am seeing a lot of issue in gender identification in america on the internet, but I do not understand the issue. However it does not mean that I do not support the addition of this feature. I am happy for the Simmers who have been wanting this, and maybe it was an issue that we are not experiencing in my language so why I do not fully understand.

In the End, I am glad that everyone can enjoy it. Wherever they are in the world.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    LJK wrote: »
    Wait, this isn't going to be displayed next to our Sims' names in gameplay, will it? Because if it is, I will find that to be extremely invasive. I was thinking it would just edit messages that refer to the Sim's gender.

Yeah im wondering if theyll end up putting it next to townies names where they usually put the sims ages (adult / young adult etc). If they make it an enabling/disabling feature that would be helpful.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member

Looks good far, but I'm really curious to see how this is going to translate into other languages. The core concept is obviously based on the English language, where the dative and accusative cases are always the same ("them" in this particular case), but in my language, the dative and accusative cases are actually different words, so we would need a fourth option... and that's just German. I've heard of languages with even more cases.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    The preview was better than I expected. I like the fact that it is completely customisable. Although I would have preferred to see this with the other gender options and not next to the name. I hope we can change these pronouns for servos as well.

What worries me a bit is that this will only be available in English. What does this mean for sims shared on the gallery when people play the game in different languages? What will I see when I download sims from people playing the game in English? Will I see the chosen pronouns or just get the default? Or will I see the custom ones but lack the interface to change them myself? Will English speaking simmers get sims with missing information if they download my sims? This is all really complex.

Looks good far, but I'm really curious to see how this is going to translate into other languages. The core concept is obviously based on the English language, where the dative and accusative cases are always the same ("them" in this particular case), but in my language, the dative and accusative cases are actually different words, so we would need a fourth option... and that's just German. I've heard of languages with even more cases.

Very good point. I knew German has dative and accusative but never realised the implication on needing a fourth pronoun for these kind of options.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member

That custom line where it says "They love the sims", is missing an s from loves the sims if you add a regular third person singular pronoun like she/he/zie /zir or whatever.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited January 2022
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    What worries me a bit is that this will only be available in English. What does this mean for sims shared on the gallery when people play the game in different languages? What will I see when I download sims from people playing the game in English? Will I see the chosen pronouns or just get the default? Or will I see the custom ones but lack the interface to change them myself? Will English speaking simmers get sims with missing information if they download my sims? This is all really complex.

The game will probably use the default settings for other languages that are not supported. When it comes to them supporting other languages I think they will have to go with a solution that will probably not be perfect.

When it comes to how well this will be supported...well...I expect this to be supported in the same way as some other features that Maxis have implemented in the past.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Regarding the concept of that new user interface…I’d have to agree with others and I really hope they’re going to get rid of a lot more than those huge WIP watermarks.

I absolutely despise messy UI and having to look at a pronoun display next to my sim’s name is gonna blubberize my brain. It’s such an unnecessary detail and it could have been anywhere but there. I truly hope they will take our feedback and change this, including the pronoun tooltips in live mode.

This is my feelings on it as well. I fully support and respect that they are doing what they are doing, but I don't want it constantly right there in my face. For the same reason that on games which offer the ability to customize the UI I always go with a minimalist approach. The less UI the better and this particular feature is definitely NOT something that needs to be constantly displayed.
    Just like people who I know irl don't need to remind me what pronouns they prefer every single time they see me....that would be annoying to.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I'm thrilled to see this come to The Sims! I can see the problem with other languages - French has different endings for adjectives and verbs that form the past tense with être - I suppose that the default would be the masculine non-ending. Really, we have the same issue in English with some irregular verbs when used with they and them. (You can say "he/she/they did", but "he/she is" and "they are".) It could make for some amusing messages, but it's all good.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    In my opinion this feature should be hidden in gender panel because in english you can have 3 options, but in polish we have technically 5 genders (3 singular + 2 plural) + a lot of conjugations.

Polish-personal-pronouns-basic-forms.png
    Polish-personal-pronouns.png

To mimic english translation of:

Hello, I'm Bella Goth and my pronouns are she/her

it should be created:

Cześć, jestem Bella Ćwir i moje zaimki to: ona, jej, ją, niej, nią, tej, tę, tą, ta...

It doesn't have any sense. Especially I only did a couple of singular examples. Due to that non binary people use masculine end femine version of pronouns or they try to ommit any of them. For example you can replace the sentense "I was dreaming of it / marzyłem(am) o tym" for "It was my dream / to było moje marzenie".

• Options
    BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    For example you can replace the sentense "I was dreaming of it / marzyłem(am) o tym" for "It was my dream / to było moje marzenie".
    Both of those still have two pronouns in English ('I', 'it' and 'it', 'my'), but I don't know how many they contain in Polish.

Out of interest, how do Polish non-binary folk typically list their pronouns? Do they go with all five, or a smaller selection from which more can be inferred?
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    edited January 2022
    logion wrote: »

The game will probably use the default settings for other languages that are not supported. When it comes to them supporting other languages I think they will have to go with a solution that will probably not be perfect.

When it comes to how well this will be supported...well...I expect this to be supported in the same way as some other features that Maxis have implemented in the past.

You are probably right about the default settings. I'm still curious to see how it will implemented because as far as I know this is the first time since the start of the sims franchise that the game will have different possibilities for different languages.

@Sthenastia I had no idea polish was so complicated. Very interesting to read
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I got a little silly in my game regarding the new pronouns. I made Alien Humanoid Robots that are Neutral Non-Genders (sort of). I made both of them the same type of look. They both can only sit when they go to the bathroom. However, neither one is completely male or female considering they aren't fully human. I also made both of them barren. I got inspired by Star Trek. :p
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited January 2022
    logion wrote: »

You are probably right about the default settings. I'm still curious to see how it will implemented because as far as I know this is the first time since the start of the sims franchise that the game will have different possibilities for different languages.

Yeah, we will see how this will work. I hope the people who wanted this feature will be happy because I gotta be honest... I miss the old days when we were all talking about packs.
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited January 2022
    Catzilla wrote: »
    It looks like the pronouns will be permanently displayed to the right of the sim's name. Frex:

And you can create customized pronouns Ze/Zim/Zeirs (for example.)( I'm also thinking aliens)

shut-up-and-take-my-money-futurama-fry-meme-ahukqrnlc6a1qr29.jpg

Buy the idea
    Then to work in this way, allow we save our row/s of pronouns to re-use our custom pronouns or even endose to a specific occult
    At your example per example, for aliens

• Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    edited January 2022
    I'm confused and don't understand? What does that mean that the pronouns a visible next to the name ingame? Is it like [Bella Goth (she/her)] when my sim met her? Has anybody a picture of it or is just a rumor? In cas for own sims, okay, sure why not, but ingame for the other non played sims? For me it doesn't makes any sense to see that ingame from other sims, since I can't speak or write directly to these sims. Then why should I see this on other sims? Any good reason?
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    For reference this is what it would look like in game in CAS from the concept

Standard name length, no UI open:
    names.png

Longer name with UI open:
    names2.png
    names3.png

Somebody else mentioned this:
    names4.png
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    @Onverser I cant see your images. Are they posted elsewhere?
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited January 2022
    I am OK with the way they are presented within the CAS UI like @Onverser post as it is pertinent info when creating/editing a sim. Wouldn't want that in Live Mode tho.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    @Onverser I cant see your images. Are they posted elsewhere?

I'll try Imgur instead, these should work:
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I am OK with the way they are presented within the CAS UI like @Onverser post as it is pertinent info when creating/editing a sim. Wouldn't want that in Live Mode tho.

I'm hoping if the pronouns are displayed in Live Mode, they're on a line under the name, rather than after it. Much as I like the addition, I can see it getting a little cluttered to have them after. Especially in the corner where you see everyone in the household.

But we only saw the CAS WIP, not how they're going to look in Live Mode, so it's mostly speculation on that part.