Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Smarter Sims, Have You Ever Seen One?

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited January 2021
    I've come to the conclusion maybe some Sims were smarter but with EPs and other packs installed somehow Maxis broke their intelligence along the way in any of these games. For instance I had to recently change pcs. I only installed my games in TS2 through Seasons. That means I don't have BV nor FT installed. Nor many of the stuff packs during those time releases. The thing is I took a Sim to some community lots, and lo and behold the townies actually used the barista bar when they were low on energy. This is something that never happens anymore with later EPs past Seasons installed. Actually it was patched years before to keep Sims from all piling up at the bar trying to get coffee. But I was amazed they would actually use it again (as needed) not by attraction to object, without the later EPs installed. Go figure. Also, I noticed without the later EPs installed (something we forget I guess when playing all EPs in these games) that they would actually fix themselves something to eat very often (townies) if the mini fridge was on a community lot. Something they do once in a blue moon (even if very hungry) with later EPs installed. Or the townie leaves the lot to go off world. So, maybe Sims start out somewhat smart but they get dumbed down as Maxis adds packs. :/
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    The Sims 4 sims are literally the dumbest
  • mtvsimsmtvsims Posts: 51 Member
    I think TS3 has smarter sims for me, my legacy founders always went after the ones with money without me even needing to do so #golddiggersftw
    Catch the latest episode of The Challenge by MTVSims here.

1ae67d358eb80994760c45b5c89f34c72d340369.png

• Lee12321Lee12321 Posts: 318 Member
    I also remember in TS2 my sims could rearrange interactions to suit their needs which I always found great but I haven't seen in in any other games
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Hope that Sims 4 sims eventually become smart, when I begin to notice that Sims actually gets smarter in Sims 4 it was all just an illusion and it was actually one of my installed mod that did that.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    When I played TS2 yesterday.
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited January 2021
    I think I had it happen once at Sims 3. I was out with my couple, the guy got hungry, so I sent him home to eat something. Came home a little later with the girl and he wasn't there. Turns out I had forgotten to add the fridge (they had just moved in), so the guy had gone to nearby bar to buy food. Smartest thing I have ever seen a sim do.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    This is a blog which shares a scenario they placed their Sims into with minimal intervention. This is usually how I play my game as well because it's the only way to truly see how smart the A.I. can be and how in-depth it is. Of course, each Sim has its own A.I. too so just like in real life, Sims will always be different from one another in how they process themselves, others and the world around them.

https://aliceandkev.wordpress.com/
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
    I think I had it happen once at Sims 3. I was out with my couple, the guy got hungry, so I sent him home to eat something. Came home a little later with the girl and he wasn't there. Turns out I had forgotten to add the fridge (they had just moved in), so the guy had gone to nearby bar to buy food. Smartest thing I have ever seen a sim do.

That's a good example of sometimes they show a rare ability to know they are hungry and need to eat rather than play on the pc and dance all day.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Have noticed that in TS2 the gal sims are much more likely to do something about it than the guys. One of my cardinal rules is when a sim moves in, immediately provide for food, sleep, and bathroom functions since world nature doesn't enable what that sim did.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    This is a blog which shares a scenario they placed their Sims into with minimal intervention. This is usually how I play my game as well because it's the only way to truly see how smart the A.I. can be and how in-depth it is. Of course, each Sim has its own A.I. too so just like in real life, Sims will always be different from one another in how they process themselves, others and the world around them.

https://aliceandkev.wordpress.com/

Thanks for that link! I read the entire story and it was awesome!
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    You're welcome. :)
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Sorry but what is a smart sim again? Mine all seem to be dumb. :joy:
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
    You must be playing TS4. Try 2 or 3.
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Remember in the Sims 2 when the Sims chatted their speech bubbles would show you what subject their talking about and they also moved their hands according to the subject of the conversation?

Not only that, these speech bubbles also kinda correlated to each other?? It actually feels like you're able to follow a conversation through pictures. It's nice.

In TS4 they're just utterly random and meaningless and not related at all. If you try to make up a conversation for them in your head it takes effort to connect the pictures in a sensible way, and the fact that these speech bubbles don't even show up when you try to take pictures really doesn't help the case. It's like what they're talking about doesn't even matter.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
    Have noticed the conversation thing in TS2 as well, particularly when the sims are talking about a subject they both are interested in. Not only are there the speech bubbles and hand movements, but the facial expressions are many, varied, and seem to not only enhance the conversation but are very true to life.
    edited January 2021

I remember back in TS2 we complained the townies never fixed any hotdogs etc. when our hungry Sim was on a community lot and perhaps didn't have any money to pay the $8 for using a grill. They finally added that and townies will go ahead and grill sometimes or use the Uni fridge if our Sim is getting really hungry and fix a meal out of something. But it's a dice roll whether they will do that soon enough before our own Sim has to go ahead first and or if they don't keel over before someone gets around to it.

TS4 Sims cook on the grills maybe too much. I'm not sure any of these games ever had any smart Sims, either. ETA: I think perhaps TS2 Sims are the smartest but I take it back when they are standing there screaming at me they need fun, well, go turn on the TV or the stereo or the computer or something. :s But TS4 Sims do fun things all day with it totally full..maybe they should learn a skill or something so it's a not so smart after all, either.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I remember back in TS2 we complained the townies never fixed any hotdogs etc. when our hungry Sim was on a community lot and perhaps didn't have any money to pay the $8 for using a grill. They finally added that and townies will go ahead and grill sometimes or use the Uni fridge if our Sim is getting really hungry and fix a meal out of something. But it's a dice roll whether they will do that soon enough before our own Sim has to go ahead first and or if they don't keel over before someone gets around to it.

TS4 Sims cook on the grills maybe too much. I'm not sure any of these games ever had any smart Sims, either. ETA: I think perhaps TS2 Sims are the smartest but I take it back when they are standing there screaming at me they need fun, well, go turn on the TV or the stereo or the computer or something. :s But TS4 Sims do fun things all day with it totally full..maybe they should learn a skill or something so it's a not so smart after all, either.

Ts4 Sims always get fixated with certain objects, people visiting your house as you as you let them in they will use their vampiric run to sit in front of the computer, take out trash, grilled. I witnessed multiple times at the free space in one of the newcrest neighborhood was literally littered by dozens of grilled food.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    izecson wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »

Ts4 Sims always get fixated with certain objects, people visiting your house as you as you let them in they will use their vampiric run to sit in front of the computer, take out trash, grilled. I witnessed multiple times at the free space in one of the newcrest neighborhood was literally littered by dozens of grilled food.

Yeah, no matter which game, except maybe TS1, but no even in that game, visiting Sims always wanted to use the stuff in the house and or ignore the Sims in the home. Yes, and I did see in TS4 the open spaces are full of hot dog plates. It would seem to me it should dawn on one of them that there is already five plates of hotdogs maybe don't grill more. :s
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    edited February 2021
    TS4 Sims remind me of Dug in Up.
    8af11b1a04a315e3359ad53cfb4347ef.jpg
    Dug-270x300.jpg
    I wish they would add in a function that allows the Watcher to give them a head-slap.

"PAY THE FRIGGIN' HELL ATTENTION!!!! YOU EEDIOT!!!"

In TS3...well, I just use NRAAS Debug Enabler and drop a meteor on them.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    I totally agree, sims are NOT smart. More than half the memes on social media are exactly this, poor stupid sims doing stupid nonsensical things. Yesterday I was pleasantly surprised when my roommate took out the trash and washed her hands after. I thought that was normal behaviour at last, and that they should program stuff like this into the game a bit more. But it's so rare that we tend to celebrate instead.
    In general, sims are not smart. At all. That said, I still think the TS2 ones are less not smart than the TS4 ones. So much for the advertising claim of 'smarter sims', especially in the areas of need tending and responding to directions. Also still think the female sim AI is smarter than the male sim AI, regardless of version.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member

Haha. Well I insist that my Sims are definitely much smarter than they have ever been (well compared to 1&2) because I didn't really play Sims 3 much. I don't really need too much analytical thought here, I can just tell by the lack of tombstones on my front lawn. They run inside the house to escape lighting and blizzards. They climb themselves out of swimming pools even if there is no ladder. They check on their own toddlers. They stop what they are doing and run to the bathroom to pee so they don't pee on the floor anymore. They eat anything, even handfuls of raw fruits in their inventory to stay alive when their hunger gets low, they wield handheld fire extinguishers and save themselves and other Sims from fire. How can I even compare? My Sims are little brainiacs now. However, they are not perfect. They still need to learn where is the correct counter they should chop food on, what sink should they wash dishes in, should they nap or sleep, should they get up from the dinner table to hug people or not, should they struggle with another Sim over the toddler chair, and without an alarm clock, they just don't wake up and go to work on their own. They are definitely much smarter overall I think. I just wish the coffee was much stronger too. The energy boost should be at least half a nap. The energy gain is too small in Sims 4 so they don't get enough boost to do other things before falling asleep.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    My sims don't need to be smart. They have me for that. If they start acting foolish off goes the autonomy. 😄
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    My sims don't need to be smart. They have me for that. If they start acting foolish off goes the autonomy. 😄

:joy: Haha same, actually I rarely give them any autonomy