Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Changing hair with age, new discussion

Replacing the necro'd thread because I was having fun reading people's thoughts and want to keep reading them :)

I like doing a makeover at the adult birthday so I'll change hair and all outfits then. Sometimes I change at other times too, but I find spending a lot of time in CAS to be kind of boring.

Comments

• bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited January 2022
    Yes, I do change my sims' clothes and hairstyle when they age. Something more mature for their age. I can't stand seeing elder with tube tops and mini skirts in my game :D

It would be nice if we had a better system for greying hair and balding.
    Maybe sims could start greying in the Adult stage, and you'd have to buy hair dye to change it. Same with balding for male sims, you could buy Rogaine for them.
    I dislike that sims' hair automatically turns grey as soon as they become Elders. It's unrealistic.
    It would also be nice if they had different shades of grey instead of just one.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    I love doing makeover of at least hair, and usually outfits, on every age up transition. Hair in particular though, because it's just a simple fact that hair changes as one ages and the game doesn't simulate that at all.

I sometimes even change the hair color of a toddler when they age from toddler to child, because that is something that does happen. My dad was super blonde as a baby and toddler, for example, but his hair transitioned to being brown in his childhood and remained that way until he passed at age 72 (there was also quite a bit of grey mixed in by that time).

Shorter hairstyles for women as they approach elderly is also something I tend to do. But I also don't use the same hairstyle for every outfit for any life stage in the first place. That's just weird...not many people have the same "style" of hair when they are working out, or going to bed, as they do when they are attending a formal event....not even men do, unless they have super-short hair.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    edited January 2022
    Replacing the necro'd thread because I was having fun reading people's thoughts and want to keep reading them :)

I like doing a makeover at the adult birthday so I'll change hair and all outfits then. Sometimes I change at other times too, but I find spending a lot of time in CAS to be kind of boring.

Depending on the style I started with, my sims get their hair cut or grow it out.

My legacy founders as they aged:
    Andrew Cole
    51828951868_7f45c4a295_h.jpg
    51829181619_c02150512a_h.jpg
    51828955618_bcf316b49f_h.jpg
    Elizabeth Farnsworth-Cole
    51829180739_7259aa4f4e_h.jpg
    51829181464_1827b3806a_h.jpg
    51827890892_ebf6cf8b02_h.jpg

Sadly, both have since passed away and their youngest son(one of a set of triplets) has also passed away after he froze to death when I wasn't active in his household.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    I took inspiration from this thread and gave one of my Sims a makeover, and I like him much more for it. He's more experienced now. He wanted to be an artist but was forced into the military. He's older and more confident, so he's grown a rugged moustache and a bit more hair length - and had a wardrobe shakeup. And he's quitting the military to live the life he wants!
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    Yes, I do change my sims' clothes and hairstyle when they age. Something more mature for their age. I can't stand seeing elder with tube tops and mini skirts in my game :D

It would be nice if we had a better system for greying hair and balding.
    Maybe sims could start greying in the Adult stage, and you'd have to buy hair dye to change it. Same with balding for male sims, you could buy Rogaine for them.
    I dislike that sims' hair automatically turns grey as soon as they become Elders. It's unrealistic.
    It would also be nice if they had different shades of grey instead of just one.

You mean TS4 doesn't have a separate clothing suite for elders like TS2 does? There, elders are a whole new category - hair, clothes, posture, simlish, appearance, the works.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited January 2022
    I usually do change at least clothing and I also do it in the beginning of different seasons if my Sims live in a world that has very noticeable season changes temperature-wise.
    Usually I change the hair ro have a bit of grey in it when my Sims are on their late adulthood regarding of their personality, for example some of them are more vain and they'd color their hair to look younger. Sometimes I change the hairstyles completely and I do it even before aging.
    Everything depends on the Sim's personality.
    There are times when I simply just forget to change anything. Recently I've added the crow's feet for the Sims that age up to adults, but that's the one thing that I often tend to forget to do.
  • mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    I give them makeovers every time they age up and also after big milestones like getting married, having kids, graduating university, moving, career changes, etc. I don’t do it after every single big milestone but just when I feel like they need a new look. A lot of those makeovers involve changing their hair but some don’t if I really like that sim’s hairstyle. I also sometimes use the graying hair swatches on elders who just aged up because it seems unrealistic for them to instantly go completely gray. I rarely have male sims go bald but I may start doing that, it’s not really that realistic that all of my male sims still have a full head of hair as elders.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    I change my sims hair when they become a toddler, child, teen and young adult. For the transition from young adult to adult it is a case by case decision. But I do try to make them look a bit older by giving a make over (hair and/or clothing)

I would like to have a few more options for males getting bald. We have many male hair styles by now but only very for beginning baldness (difficult to describe as English is not my native language, I mean really thin hair or a small bald spot on the top of the head)
  • LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    Great discussion!

I change hair with each life stage, in different categories as well like sleep/swim and try to keep the same texture of hair if I am able.

For children though, sometimes I change hair to simulate "growth" In my simworld kids are like age six-thirteen, since we don't have height change and I don't wanna mess with height sliders, I try to give them different hair and a new wardrobe at pre-teen stage, often using CC clothing or the kids room stuff pack as that came with a few tween clothing items.

I also changed my sims clothing due to seasons.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    Briefly repeating my old post :) I do normally adjust a sim's looks around their bday. If I am sort of attached to that sim, I might adjust 3-4 simdays before the bday, then the additional change from bday, and if they are elderly I might adjust a tad more 3-4 days after bday, too :) I like subtle changes, and I dislike the Adult>Elder bday because the change is often extreme, that's why I often try to spread it out a bit by first adding a slight grey touch to their hair, adding glasses, reducing makeup etc. On the bday I might not do much except reverting hair from grey to grey touch *if* the sim is supposed to have good genes aging wise. Few days after elderly bday I might go the full line, turning them into trolls :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    Whenever my sims age up I always redo their hair and clothes. Makeup too, when needed. This sometimes takes a while since I give my sims several outfits for every category.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I have a Snow White Legacy where I 1st had her wearing the City Living long yellow skirt with a navy blue short sleeve top. Her hair was a black curly Vintage Glamor hairstyle with a red hair accessory. Now, she's wearing the Cottage Living navy blue sweater with the yellow long skirt. Her hair is now white. She's also a Great-Great-Great-Great-Grandmother now. I don't have the heart to loss her, so I made her an immortal. ;)
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited January 2022
    Oh I was looking for that thread to read haha. I didn't realize it was so old. Thanks for recreating it @mightysprite

Sometimes I like to keep them with a similar style even if I have different haircuts in CAS. With Cassandra, I have always kept her with two ponytails since Sims 2, so now there are so many options, like two braids, two ponytails, two buns, so all my hair for Cassandra is in this fashion lol.