Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Comments

• caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    Awesome! :smiley:
    he/him
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited January 2022
    It looks like the pronouns will be permanently displayed to the right of the sim's name. Frex:
    Sarah Green She/Her/Hers
    Jeremy Smith He/Him/His
    Leslie Jacobs They/Them/Theirs
    And you can create customized pronouns Ze/Zim/Zeirs (for example.)( I'm also thinking aliens)

This was a surprise, I expected the pronoun options would be placed in the gender select, M/Fbody frame, get preggers/impregnate others, pee standing up and etc. menus rather than behind the sim's name but then I didn't really know how this would be implemented with Simlish and other than the in game pop up messages in your RL language of choice either.

ETA: That's a good question, can you leave it blank and not use pronouns or so they don't show next to the sim's name?
    Post edited by Catzilla on
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    I'm glad to see it (though 'ze love the Sims' which we were shown ought really to be 'ze loves the Sims'. As I understood it, only 'they' and 'you' go with 'love' (without the 's'). Likewise, she does, ze does, they do.

Nonetheless, it seems a good system
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Peppers wrote: »
    I'm happy for those simmers, that wanted this feature. For me personally, I don't see the need to use pronouns on all sims though (unless customized pronouns), as it seems unnecessarily complicated. I wonder what happens if you ignore this feature or if they will even allow you to ignore it. I would only find it fair to have the option to ignore this feature if you want to.

If they force us to choose their pronouns every time we make a sim, I might end up giving them funny ones. It would work really good as a nickname, instead of she/her/them we can write in all three instances Superwoman or something.
  • EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    I hope it doesn’t mess with any of the pre existing sims pronouns
    Icewolf wrote: »
    I really hope when creating, let's say a female sim, her pronouns will automatically be put on she/her.
    I suspect, if you ignore the pronoun box, it'll automatically assign them based on body shape.
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Well, we are not amused by them. We love to be able to call our Woman sim Female & our Man sim Male. ;)

But you can! She/Her and He/Him are also available. :smile:
    he/him
  • PeppersPeppers Posts: 86 Member
    caliposs wrote: »
    Well, we are not amused by them. We love to be able to call our Woman sim Female & our Man sim Male. ;)

But not everyone feels the need to use pronouns.
    edited January 2022
    caliposs wrote: »

Everyone has pronouns though.
    he/him
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I'm pretty happy with the way their handling this. It's very customizable. It seems like it will affect the text in the message boxes as well, which I know a lot of player were worried about. So, good job Sims Team!
    Fun fact: the word 'everyone' is a pronoun
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    If they do announce Sims 5 I imagine this will be a feature as well. I just hope they allow traditional simmers to play the way they want to as well. I see lots of games now deleting sex/gender altogether, just assigning body types and pronouns. Thats not how I see myself, the world and thats not how I play. So i hope they can still respect traditional players perspective and keep things optional like they do at times.

I think that's why they showed their pronouns during that segment on the livestream. To be clear that they are not removing him/her.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    logion wrote: »
    If they do announce Sims 5 I imagine this will be a feature as well. I just hope they allow traditional simmers to play the way they want to as well. I see lots of games now deleting sex/gender altogether, just assigning body types and pronouns. Thats not how I see myself, the world and thats not how I play. So i hope they can still respect traditional players perspective and keep things optional like they do at times.

I think that's why they showed their pronouns during that segment on the livestream. To be clear that they are not removing him/her.

That is questionable. They said they are not removing him/her from the pronouns list, but they also said that they are re-wording the text messages so that they can fit with the custom pronouns also. This means that they are actually removing a lot of traditional pronouns because most text won't work with custom pronouns, and this will be very visible in languages that have male and female forms for nouns, adjectives, etc. Even in English, you have words like actor and actress, host and hostess, waiter and waitress, etc. to distinguish gender, they will need to scrap such words if they want to make the pop-up messages work with custom pronouns.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Fun fact: the word 'everyone' is a pronoun

Well played, Well played.

Interestingly though, there are some languages which do not have pronouns at all, and they manage to communicate just fine. Japanese only sort-of has them, and there's a language in South America that has nothing which even remotely resembles pronouns.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    logion wrote: »

That is questionable. They said they are not removing him/her from the pronouns list, but they also said that they are re-wording the text messages so that they can fit with the custom pronouns also. This means that they are actually removing a lot of traditional pronouns because most text won't work with custom pronouns, and this will be very visible in languages that have male and female forms for nouns, adjectives, etc. Even in English, you have words like actor and actress, host and hostess, waiter and waitress, etc. to distinguish gender, they will need to scrap such words if they want to make the pop-up messages work with custom pronouns.

Ah man, I was just happy that people got their pronoun customizer so we would keep the game from going completely gender neutral. Now I'm bummed out again. I think this pronoun hype is getting out of hand.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Hey there, He-Man! I'm Wonder Woman! :D