Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Driven to Cheating (Anecdotes)

Comments

• LadyGaga457LadyGaga457 Posts: 9 New Member
    I often use testingcheatsenabled when my sims are too tired and something interesting is happening so I just put that bar (and perhaps a few others...) back to green.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I normally avoid messing with my sims' motives, because in real life, you don't get to do that. If their sleep cycle is messed up, I just make them go to bed earlier or take a nap if they wake up too early, and get them back on schedule within a day or two. If I forgot to send them to the bathroom before bed, they have to get up in the night for it. If their food went bad while they were eating it and they didn't have time to get something else to eat before leaving for work or school, they just have to live with that.

But my married couple has been in University, and after the husband left for his activities class, I discovered that because I was busy with the wife in her lecture class, I had not noticed that he needed to use the bathroom before his class, and his bladder bar was in the yellow. Because I've had problems with the technology activities class in the past, I didn't want to interrupt him to send him to the restroom, so I did drag up his bladder bar a little, to get him through to the end of the class period. By then it was in the yellow again, so he used the restroom before going home.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've always hated having to cheat to get sims moved into town because they never had enough money to buy larger lots with a few basics though I started making new CC to fix that so I'd never have to do that again and can just move newcomers in without cheating or using tiny starter homes on tiny lots.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • MadDoctor61MadDoctor61 Posts: 414 Member
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I've always hated having to cheat to get sims moved into town because they never had enough money to buy larger lots with a few basics though I started making new CC to fix that so I'd never have to do that again and can just move newcomers in without cheating or using tiny starter homes on tiny lots.

I generally put my sims onto an empty lot and delete remaining funds. They spend their first weeks eating at the diner and sleeping at the pool (toilets, showers and loungers for serial napping). It gets interesting when the baby comes earlier than expected. Every now and then I start with a family. I have to watch very carefully that no kids try to sneak home in the evening. With no beds, they are up all night and pass out about dawn. It makes the game interesting that way. I think I've become addicted to desperation. They get boring when they get comfortable.
    I just had my sim make breakfast when he woke up. He wasn't REALLY hungry, so he went to watch TV. I had to direct him to eat, as well as my other sim, before they headed out to the gym. I wasn't watching close enough and must have done something stupid. Breakfast went into the sink. I must have clicked "Clean Up" instead of "Grab A Plate". They wouldn't get much of a workout before going to work at the stadium, if I had them start over. So "testingCheats" and dragged the Hunger motives up for both of them. I didn't feel bad because they spent the time making the meal and would have had max Hunger if I hadn't screwed up.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I got sick and tired of not having enough funds to purchase my sims some of the larger, more attractive homes. Until I discovered the dusty old oil lamp in the rewards panel. Now once the sim reaches 30000 reward points they are up, packed and on the move before you can say Jack Robinson :D:D You can have a lot of fun playing with the second wish but the third wish is always used to free the genie. Otherwise the game has a way of getting the better of you unless you keep some kind of balance :/
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited May 2018
    I remember this one time I had a Sim in China and she was to collect those red bugs you can only get there. It showed there was one place she could go, but when she got there nothing. I waited for a couple of Sim days but nothing. So I cheated and went to an empty lot, used buydebug and placed a whole bunch of those red bug spawners. Let's just say she had more than enough bugs to complete her mission, her daughter's mission, and several generations afterwards.
    edited May 2018
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    I remember this one time I had a Sim in China and she was to collect those red bugs you can only get there. It showed there was one place she could go, but when she got there nothing. I waited for a couple of Sim days but nothing. So I cheated and went to an empty lot, used buydebug and placed a whole bunch of those red bug spawners. Let's just say she had more than enough bugs to complete her mission, her daughter's mission, and several generations afterwards.

I've had that problem as well. I've got some beetle spawners in my custom home world that occasionally spawns a Red Assassin Bug so I can collect them beforehand. Also, while I'm in China I keep an eye on common locations, so I can collect in advance. When I get the adventure to collect them, I often use, testingCheatsEnabled true, shift+click, and Teleport here, because they often disappear before I get there. If I can get one, I can often clone it to get as many as I want.
    edited May 2018
    On my most recent trip to Egypt, there was a dearth of dig-sites for the sims tagging along. After a lot of scanning around, I found one in the middle of Ship's Oasis, the lake behind the Sphinx. My Sim travelled all the way out there from the cemetery (There wasn't much else to do, after jogging in the desert air, so he explored the catacombs). When he got to the lake he threw a conniption fit because the site was unroutable. I used 'testingCheatsEnabled true' and 'moveObjects on' then 'Buy On Lot' to edit the lot and move the dig-site. This is one of the few unroutable dig-sites that can be moved (I wish there was a way to move the others-I keep wasting time sending somebody to dig them up). It was worth it, as he found a Sultan of the Sphinx worth 2298. After analyzing, it was antique, worth 2684.
    Post edited by MadDoctor61 on
    I've spent the last 3 sim hours waiting for Gunther Goth to come out of the bathroom at the museum so my sim can 'Deliver Life Fruit'. The bathroom has a 'He Door', meaning my female sim cannot enter so she just waits outside complaining when I tell her to interact with him. I've tried moving her to different locations hoping 'Call Over' will show up, but no go. My sim is now late for work. I resorted to:
    testingCheatsEnabled true
    moveObjects on
    shift+click Buy on the lot
    then I moved Gunther out of the bathroom into the main area.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    I prefer to not call it "cheating". I call it "The Helpful Hand of the Watcher". :D:mrgreen:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • NabrilNabril Posts: 179 Member
    edited June 2018
    I don't cheat anymore- There's no need. LTR points just make everything too easy.

The motive mobile means that my Sims never need to worry about their motives. Steel Bladder, Dirt Defiant, and Hardly Hungry let them go days without needing to replenish- especially with the motive mobile! And dating with the motive mobile is a cinch! Meet your date somewhere, and then select another lot and "Go here with Date". Then thanks to the motive mobile, both of you will have max motives for one spectacular date!

As far as money is concerned, if you get good at crafting and make enough money to start buying property, then there's your income! Also, you can easily date and marry into riches!

Cheat codes are for fixing bugs. So while I don't cheat, I will confess that I am 100% addicted to the LTR stuff!
    sig.jpg
  • LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    The only cheats I use are testingcheatsenabled, but only to teleport sims around since I play big households and it makes things easier and to go into buy/build mode on community lots to add stuff. I also use moveobjects on for posing sims or placing objects where I want them and hideheadlineeffects on, which I don't really consider a cheat, but I still use it. Other than that, I don't use money cheats since it's easy enough for sims to make money, nor do I use motive cheats since my sims are usually pretty good about taking care of their needs on their own.
    I'll say it again. I created this thread for ANECDOTES related to cheating. This is a place for those who don't normally cheat, but something is happening in their game that encourages/forces them to do so. Tell everybody your story of how you were "Driven to Cheating."
  • MadMuffieMadMuffie Posts: 47 Member
    Had a strange situation where all my kids were aging up at nighttime and their mother decided it'd be a good time to go outside and rant about death because she was already starving. Naturally she "fake dies" and I freaked out because when she fell a zombie popped up right next to her body and made me think for a moment that she'd been somehow turned into a zombie just as she died.

When I panned around and saw it was not the case, I was more than happy to watch death tell her not to say bad things about him. Right then one of her children aged up into in a child. Her eldest teen was already outside and he was mourning for her which made things awkward when death returned her to her body. Another one of her kids started to age up as she actually died for good of starvation. Which caused the the eldest teen to once again mourn for her, he'd never actually stopped crying, and her daughter that had just aged into a child rushed out to mourn over her death as well.

So the other kid inside aged up into a fine boy child and he also ran outside to mourn, coming out just as she was shaking hands with death. I also think another one had aged up but it's hard to remember. Anyway, she died and death for some reason decided to stay around, the first daughter that had aged up went up to get to know him. Which weirdly went along very well, so well in fact that they had so much in common and became friends super fast. Which freaked me out a bit because she was a kid just chatting to death while everyone else mourned for her mother.

I decided to have the eldest teen go up and ask death for some advice, he actually just wanted a hug, but just as he got to death the reaper vanished. Leaving him there to cry about his mother and his sister to just stare into space. I went with it and figured he'd clearly shouted out at death for help before he vanished, I used Nraas to create a baby from the grim reaper just before he vanished or was on the verge of doing so and then I used moveobjects on to place it where the reaper had been. They named the baby girl Deathra, she had black eyes but everything else was from the eldest teen. I saw it as death gave them a magical child, even though they were already pretty full on children in the house, and he though tit would help.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    I end up cheating to move into a nice house, because I can't stand the default EA starter homes.It drives me nuts on how they don't really have that "homey" feel to it.So I end up cheating enough money to buy a house.I tell myself its not cheating, by pretending they got a "loan" or "mortgage" from the bank. :D
  • Hawkflight1066Hawkflight1066 Posts: 245 Member
    I cloned a sim, and chose her career to be "inventor". What does she do but burn herself to death, being too stupid to get in the shower and extinguish herself. As I had spend a lot of time building her skills I was not pleased with the urn that replaced her. Not at all. I added Grim's house to the world, and took another family member off there with the urn to get her reincarnated. Knowing she'd be a babe in arms again I was a bit grumpy. Grim did his magic - and a tombstone appeared on his doorstep instead of a baby. A tombstone, moreover, which was glitched. Couldn't be picked up, nothing. It appears that the game doesn't know what to do if you attempt to reincarnate a cloned sim. I exited the game without saving and tried again a few times. Nada. Always a glitched tombstone. Adding it to the home inventory using NRAAS mod just meant it was stuck there instead of on Grimmy's doorstep. Eventually I gave in and reincarnated her using NRAAS mods. And life went on.
    A friend came home with my high-school sim. After supper I forgot about her as she must have been wandering around the house/garden. I'd sent everybody to bed, including putting the toddler in the crib. After a short nap, the guest decided to play with the toddler, took her out of the crib and put her back in the crib when she was finished. However, the toddler was no longer interested in going to sleep. A couple sim hours later, still awake, and still green. At this rate, she would probably last till dawn. I used 'testingCheatsEnabled true' and dragged the Energy bar down a bit. Down a bit more. A bit more. Go to sleep already. I dragged it down to the bottom. That did the trick. By now, it was about 4 in the morning and the kid would be sleeping till noon. To get her back on schedule, I dragged the Energy bar back up above half. Then I noticed everybody in the household converging on the nursery. "React to noisy toddler" or whatever it was. Red-lining the kid had prompted everyone else to wake up. I had to send them all back to bed, except the Natural Cook who was already ordered to prepare breakfast. While the cheat was enabled, I upped them to max energy. It didn't take much. The would have been up in an hour anyway.
    edited June 2018
    ... Eventually I gave in and reincarnated her using NRAAS mods. And life went on.

So how do you reincarnate a dead sim? I may want to do it sometime.
    edited July 2018
    My sim called her next chess appointment to central park for a game. I'd neglected to notice what a foul state she was in, tired, hungry and low in others. I couldn't get her to finish a game. She took off to help herself to the picnic basket. She left the next game to empty her bladder. She was too tired to finish the third game. I gave up and sent her home. I had other things I wanted her to do so it was a few days before she made it back to the park for a rematch. Her opponent was STILL THERE playing chess. He wouldn't respond to the challenge. He wouldn't respond to conversation. I figured he was stuck there. I use NRass to reset him and called him back. This time they played through. She lost. She played him again. And lost again. Half a dozen losing games later (not all at once, play him a couple of times, practice with somebody else in between). She travelled to China and picked up a couple of game wins there. More practice with others. I was determined to have her beat him. I just played two more games and lost both times. I didn't see any Story Progression messages about his logic skill increasing, besides the one (to logic level 1) from the first encounter. Still I believe he levelled up in both logic and chess during those three days, maximizing his skills or close to it. I finally gave up and used Master Controller/Intermediate/Drop Opponents. When and if they pair up again, at least she will be of a higher rank.
    Post edited by MadDoctor61 on
    One sim was sent to bed early so she could get up early and prepare breakfast for everybody. Once the meal was on the counter, I went through everybody and told them to 'Grab a Plate.' Apparently, to one of them I gave a mistaken order. An order to 'Clean Up.' Of course they were the first ones up. There was no breakfast for anybody. The errant sim is also a Natural Cook, so I had her prepare Brunch. But, everybody was now up, hungry (not that hungry really but it would be a problem as the day goes on), and wanting to get on with their day. Because they lost their breakfast (it WAS MADE so it is only partly cheating) I used 'testingCheatsEnabled true' and slid everybody's hunger motive to the top and sent them out the the library etc.
  • gardenGothicgardenGothic Posts: 100 Member
    I try to avoid cheating as much as possible but I absolutely *loathe* the paparazzi from LN. Depending on my mood I'll either use resetsim or turn on testingcheatsenabled and shift-click to delete them lol
    Call me Booky!! (they/them)
    Simming Blog: Booky Loves Shiny Things!
    sZNqePM9W6d2Lrm5UpJhHbd9MGqZ5hV2_cX6GZcOXWSbJHRg4SdIhOUXKQtL7PZ6Ux3SEpde2Hd3nhoG7WMRhsE2ti9MIo_qvA3-U8EEgZ5xuacGIjvitbk-ZP5AbDcaMWSoJkL6Eo6xWUfis5ccJS0pYposlsk_vCsFGB-IkMp5jg-Pezqen7W-3DYFGNp1t_9XUjd4_ccSlcDwCGUfiQzNwBaSJm0yPLbiq3pRD6craNK8RUr8EGqaH7bxOGDTCzYZrTJ_SDkk9sgQXK-gFIz8qrIrZhZskNOYSOZBsMkYbiW0CjOevWYW9o1sTsomFi3p11msV69ZRU1sAX1VeG6wJ_6LjOSTZwGmQjMEyIn_LPYTq6GX1nu87u3N_f4cd13H6qq5QAJh3bu16HizzG3V6gtmW32T4h0oBgY3KEWxUe309HdhSgFaF5v_xoQmGgB4llydstDuPpQI456b3vaJDQP1K-h_hscQBwqRaJgLOLmiWaKKLh-_gz5XwTXaGKiDDwq3mpPv4qLQYg6mC6vLtpbmmpPby_uF_aKVy_B1xNbxODNJaov-uIH50hKqI4FaXffJBO2VoDIvockXJ7HsqkZUokCJVFSm6-YgFiPTlNMER1uzh6TbQhufl_rT-16XpKFiF_E4VYx3tmnpWaB9=w628-h224-no
    edited September 2021
    I thought about the necroposting rules before adding this comment.
    Are there exceptions to the necroposting rule?
    Absolutely! Some discussions don't really 'expire' because they are open-ended or even timeless. If you follow the tips in this thread, you'll be able to decide when it's okay to post in an older discussion and when it's not.

This is a thread for humorous anecdotes about cheating. That is what I am posting. I see it hasn't been used in a while, but the alternative is to create a new thread for the exact same thing with only the one comment in it, which would be redundant and moot. The new thread would also be lacking the relevant funny comments from previous posters. So do I start a new, boring near empty thread, or revive this one? I'm reviving.

For those who haven't seen this thread for a while (or ever), this thread is for humorous anecdotes related to cheating. It's not about the ethics of cheating, pro and cons of cheating, whether you cheat or not, it's for the funny things that happened in your game that have driven you to cheat, generally when you normally wouldn't. Now on to my funny story. Please post yours as well. I'm dying to read them.

My Sims are on their first trip to Egypt. One of them is working the "Three Relics" Adventure Chain. She's up to "Into The Fire" to harvest 5 Flame Fruit. I think there is enough time to finish. I may have to 'Teleport' (aka cheat) to get her to the delivery location before the vacation runs out (but that's not a humorous anecdote). She just arrived in the garden spot with all the Flame Fruit. She picked two at the bottom of the stairs from one plant ready to harvest. There was only one plant to harvest in the main group. She has four(4) Flame Fruit, but she needs five(5). She can sleep there (she is getting tired) and harvest more when she gets up. Oh wait. She goes home at midnight. I resorted to NRass / Debug Enabler / Options: Ground Vines / DEBUG: Next Growth State for one of the plants. Now she has enough to harvest and deliver before the vacation runs out.
    I installed The Mysterious Simshield Mansion into my homeworld for a little local adventuring. This tomb requires the ability to Zenoport. I did so. It takes 3 hours. Then I found out I couldn't do the next part alone, so the Sim's wife joined him. Another 3 hours. He was tired so he slept through it in a sleeping bag. Ooops, he still can't go on and, being in the medical profession has been called in for extra duty on the weekend. These tend to be 3 hour shifts. It's going to take him 3 hours to Zenoport out of the tomb (at least he can go straight to the door at work), but the emergency shift will be just about over by the time he gets there. I left the wife to Zenoport out, but I teleported him.
  • ShiWhendimShiWhendim Posts: 6 New Member
    Yesterday I was SO tempted, but I resisted. I spent literal hours in the Wasteland trying to catch an Uber nanite. It was such a relief when I finally did it!