Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bring seasons to basegame... with a twist

Why an eternal summer at all worlds?
Bring seasons to base game but..... if Seasons not installed:
1 - When start new game, no screen to select season
2 - Seasons are fixed, an eternal summer or inter or fall or spring
3 - Divide the sim planet in 4 regions for that:
3a - Desert: Del Sol Valley - Oasis Srpings - Strangerville - Sulani: Always summer
3b - Countyard: Windemburg - Henford - Brindletown - Briechester - Selvadorada: Always spring
3c - Highlands: Mt. Komorebi - Forgotten Hollow - Granite Falls - Glimmerbrook: Always winter
3d - City: San Myshuno - Willow Creek - Newcrest - Evergreen: Always fall

Comments

• VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Noooooo, I like my non-seasoned worlds to be the way I make them be. I don't want the game to define for me what they should be. :grimace:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • JALJAL Posts: 999 Member
    I would love for seasons to be part of base game, it always felt weird for me to have weather in the game. However, I do respect those who does not want it, so if it were a feature in base game (say in sims 5) then it would have to be something you could toggle on and off.

Personally, I would say bringing restaurants and cafes to base game would be much more important. Dine out is ridiculous. Restaurants in base game - owning a business (including restaurants) in pack. It really shouldn't be that hard.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    Noooooo, I like my non-seasoned worlds to be the way I make them be. I don't want the game to define for me what they should be. :grimace:

Agreed. The developer-decided climates for the Sims 4 worlds are the worst part about Seasons and one of the reasons why I avoided that pack for so long. (It would be less of a problem if we could create our own worlds, but as long as I need Del Sol Valley, Windenburg and San Myshuno to be the same city for space reasons, they also need to have the same climate.)

Agreed. The developer-decided climates for the Sims 4 worlds are the worst part about Seasons and one of the reasons why I avoided that pack for so long. (It would be less of a problem if we could create our own worlds, but as long as I need Del Sol Valley, Windenburg and San Myshuno to be the same city for space reasons, they also need to have the same climate.)

I don't have Seasons myself, and I don't want it. I understand why a lot of players like to have changing weather and such, but that's not important to me in this game, and it would hinder a lot of my story stuff if I had to deal with all that. :lol: But yeah, with or without Seasons, I want to be able to decide for myself which existing worlds belong "together" in imaginary regions with whatever imaginary climates they might have -- which I the player should be able to decide.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    JAL wrote: »
    I would love for seasons to be part of base game, it always felt weird for me to have weather in the game. However, I do respect those who does not want it, so if it were a feature in base game (say in sims 5) then it would have to be something you could toggle on and off.

Personally, I would say bringing restaurants and cafes to base game would be much more important. Dine out is ridiculous. Restaurants in base game - owning a business (including restaurants) in pack. It really shouldn't be that hard.

In TS2 they had cars, clothes shopping and grocery shopping in base game. They developed them further in later EPs where you could own cars and run your own shop. They could do similar in future games. Would be nice to have at least a bit of maybe cloudy days or some rain. I also wish we could set our own weather, to me Willow Creek doesn't look like it should have show in winter.
  • ArarineArarine Posts: 250 Member
    At least think about how much people who already buy season pack gonna 🐸🐸🐸🐸
    Wish more Recipe/harvestable/woodwork/craftableWish live in businessWish more interactive between sims and activityWish a lot of refresh and Better resize pleaseWish for another colour upgrade swatchWish for pool sliderFix the bug please
  • jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    That would be unfair for people who already bought Seasons.
    That would be unfair for people who already bought Seasons.

Also unfair for those of us who purposely didn't buy Seasons because we didn't want... you know, seasons. :lol:
  • StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    Many of my Sims are keen gardeners, and I enjoy the flow of time with Seasons. I can see plants flowering and then fruiting, then shedding leaves and going dormant.
    I wouldn't really mind if Seasons was made base game, to be honest. Perhaps it could be made as an opt-in system in the same manner as the Eco Friendly NAPs. Maybe keep the ability to adjust Season length for people who own the pack, but lock the season length otherwise?
    I hope that the equivalent of Seasons is base game in Sims 5. I've already bought it for Sims 2, 3 and 4. : )
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    I will always opt for a weather system in my games, and if those are made to be a basegame element I’d have no problem with it.
    This system however, always needs to be optional. I’d rather pay for an optional pack than have a locked system in basegame that I cannot modify, so I’m not keen on the idea of so called “twists” at all.

Personally I would like to be able to chose climates and link worlds based on climate, e.g. a monsoon should affect both Sulani and Selvadorada at the same time because in some of my saves the Sulani beach is just down the road from the jungle. That way - when I travel between both worlds - the weather remains the same, making gameplay a lot more immersive.
    Other times I’d want to turn off the system altogether.

I would imagine that Seasons is the best selling pack across all main Sims titles, so I doubt they’re going turn this little goldmine into a basegame feature.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    If you want Seasons in your game buy Seasons. That's all I have to say.
  • GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    I would have zero issues if at least some basic weather options like rain were made available for base game, but I don't think fixed seasons per world would be a good idea. They way you've proposed it, someone without DLC would only get to experience fall or summer. And maybe an unpopular opinion here, but I really don't like the way the discolored plants look in the fall and the spring. It's fine for transitioning between summer and winter, but I wouldn't want to be locked into either of those seasons.
    Personally I would like to be able to chose climates and link worlds based on climate, e.g. a monsoon should affect both Sulani and Selvadorada at the same time because in some of my saves the Sulani beach is just down the road from the jungle. That way - when I travel between both worlds - the weather remains the same, making gameplay a lot more immersive.
    Also, this ^^. I really miss customization when it comes to seasons, the length of the individual seasons, the weather types, etc. If they ever do a refresh, that's what I'd like to see the most.
    I will always opt for a weather system in my games, and if those are made to be a basegame element I’d have no problem with it.
    This system however, always needs to be optional. I’d rather pay for an optional pack than have a locked system in basegame that I cannot modify, so I’m not keen on the idea of so called “twists” at all.

I would imagine that Seasons is the best selling pack across all main Sims titles, so I doubt they’re going turn this little goldmine into a basegame feature.

If I could customize things like that, I'd probably be another one to contribute to that Seasons goldmine revenue, albeit on sale. But as it is, I prefer not to. Not just because of the current lack of options; I also don't like the aesthetics of some of the weather effects in this game (storms and rain in particular). I do like weather effects in some games, and some games would feel very weird without them. I don't really feel a sense of "something's missing" by not having them in this one, though.
  • Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 431 Member
    Or you could pay for the pack like the rest of us did...
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    no i like how it is now just add toggles to seasons pack so we can choose what seasons we want and where and when and how

but i really don't want to be stuck with one season in any world
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I feel like only rain and thunderstorms, should come to the Base Game.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited January 2022
    Nah, I think Seasons should be in the base-game in full. Perhaps some aspects of it that have been added over the entries could be added in later content, like holidays. But the seasons cycle is just as natural as the day/night cycle. It should be in the base game. Then later packs can integrate with it even better and it can be fine tuned throughout the course of the game.

Plus, Brindleton Bay being only Spring is weird, considering the world is autumn slanted. When I think of New England, I certainly think of autumn and winter (but perhaps I'm just biased, as IRL I hate Spring and Summer lol).
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    The cynical side of me agrees with you. The goose who laid the golden egg, and all that stuff.

• Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member

If I could customize things like that, I'd probably be another one to contribute to that Seasons goldmine revenue, albeit on sale. But as it is, I prefer not to. Not just because of the current lack of options; I also don't like the aesthetics of some of the weather effects in this game (storms and rain in particular). I do like weather effects in some games, and some games would feel very weird without them. I don't really feel a sense of "something's missing" by not having them in this one, though.

Oddly, I don't have Seasons. If the base game gave the option to have weather or not, I would like it because there is not one sim that I don't grow produce with for cooking and simoleons. With seasons activated in the base game there would be some produce that wouldn't grow during certain weather conditions instead of the way things are now with "Plant a tomato, wait 3 days, and then, harvest or sell those tomatoes EVERYDAY. For real? What tree can you strip bare of it's fruit, and come back tomorrow and do it again? Or having seasons would justify dressing a sim in a coat or jacket for cold weather, or no coat or jacket's when it's warm outside. At any rate, having seasons in the base game should be like having airbags in cars: Standard!!! I haven't explored it yet but the Snowy Escapes expansion does have seasonal change, but it's just snow, and blizzard weather, and even that from my exp. was in certain areas.
  • PeppersPeppers Posts: 86 Member
    If I didn't have seasons installed, I would definitely not like having one specific season per world. Especially not winter or fall all the time. The 'summer' you are referring to is at least somewhat neutral compared to winter/fall.

And if seasons come to base game, well then I want a refund ;)
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member

Oddly, I don't have Seasons. If the base game gave the option to have weather or not, I would like it because there is not one sim that I don't grow produce with for cooking and simoleons. With seasons activated in the base game there would be some produce that wouldn't grow during certain weather conditions instead of the way things are now with "Plant a tomato, wait 3 days, and then, harvest or sell those tomatoes EVERYDAY. For real? What tree can you strip bare of it's fruit, and come back tomorrow and do it again? Or having seasons would justify dressing a sim in a coat or jacket for cold weather, or no coat or jacket's when it's warm outside. At any rate, having seasons in the base game should be like having airbags in cars: Standard!!! I haven't explored it yet but the Snowy Escapes expansion does have seasonal change, but it's just snow, and blizzard weather, and even that from my exp. was in certain areas.

It makes sense to harvest several time from a tree, it's large and has lots of fruit. Also, tomatoes don't ripe all on the same day and you can easily harvest until late autumn when the plant dries up due to weather. If they make seasons a basegame feature, I think it would be nice if they implemented plants with more realistic meshes, like tulips and carrots don't grow in bushes. Also they need to change how they look over the year, with trees flowering in spring and giving fruit in summer or autumn.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Both Sims 2 and Sims 3 had an expansion pack for Seasons, as does Sims 4. If you want seasons in your game, watch for another sale and buy the pack. I absolutely love the seasons pack and highly recommend it. However, I wouldn't be upset if they added just the rain and rainstorms to base game. What I would like to see is more control over the seasons. In both sims 2 and 3 we could adjust seasons. Great for rotational play especially and I was able to have just one season for my entire rotation and then change it when I started the next rotation. I don't think it would be fair to all of us who have paid for Seasons to have it in base game for free.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »
    Why an eternal summer at all worlds?
    Bring seasons to base game but..... if Seasons not installed:
    1 - When start new game, no screen to select season
    2 - Seasons are fixed, an eternal summer or inter or fall or spring
    3 - Divide the sim planet in 4 regions for that:
    3a - Desert: Del Sol Valley - Oasis Srpings - Strangerville - Sulani: Always summer
    3b - Countyard: Windemburg - Henford - Brindletown - Briechester - Selvadorada: Always spring
    3c - Highlands: Mt. Komorebi - Forgotten Hollow - Granite Falls - Glimmerbrook: Always winter
    3d - City: San Myshuno - Willow Creek - Newcrest - Evergreen: Always fall

There is no country on the RL planet we're on that doesn't experience more than one season. Case in point: We should all by now realize Del Sol Valley is based on Los Angeles, CA. While it is a desert, it does rain there (although not often enough to stave off CA's almost perpetual drought conditions). Having no change in the seasons is depressing, at best. Being from Southern California I joke about its two seasons; Hot and Hotter. I now live in a state wherein I get to realize the four seasons. I like it here much better. Even the Middle East, as hot and arid it is, has mean winters.

I do agree that perhaps the time has come to have seasons be part of the Base Game, up front, but not to trap different worlds into one eternal season. You shouldn't have to move your Sim family just to experience a change in the weather. I would hate the same season as much as I hated the eternal summer mode the Base game has us locked into.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Whoa 😳! No plumming way! If Seasons is going to be base game it better be in TS5! Because I paid full price for that freaking pack and while I don’t mind the odd CAS or BB item, or even a minor gameplay feature being pulled into the base game. I would have a massive fit if they made a whole pack or even a major feature of a pack base game like that. That would not be okay at all.
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    Both Sims 2 and Sims 3 had an expansion pack for Seasons, as does Sims 4. If you want seasons in your game, watch for another sale and buy the pack.

Easy to say right now, but lets think of a larger scale here. Sure, The Sims 2, 3, and 4 all have the Seasons Expansion Pack now, but for years they didn't. The Sims 4 being the longest wait of four years, with the other two being around three. TS2 I'm rather forgiving on because it was a brand new feature then. But it wasn't for TS3 or 4.

So yeah, "buy it if you want it" is nice logic right now, but when the next The Sims game comes out and we're waiting three to four years for a feature that is darn well base-game level it doesn't work anymore. Not that I'm advocating for Seasons DLC day one. Day one DLC is never good, of course. Seasons should just be base-game. That's it. No strings attached. Add depth to it later, even charge for that depth... but the base of it should be in the base game. Always.
    I don't think it would be fair to all of us who have paid for Seasons to have it in base game for free.

Perhaps. I don't agree with the OP here. I think that Seasons should be base-game in every game going forward, not ones that have released already. It should have been base game from the start in TS3 and 4.
    OO2UdmJ.png