Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What to do if someone is re-uploading my work?

Hi everyone,

So I wasn't sure where to go with this issue, if I'm in the wrong place, let me know and I'll move it around, or repost.
I'm sure we all know how frustrating it can be to see very similar work to yours being uploaded on the gallery. Now I have a bit of a frustrating situation.
I made this item and I won't mention who or what it's about simply because I would like advise on what action I can take before I put anyone in a negative light. Anyway, I uploaded this pool two weeks ago after a good little while of trying to get it shaped just right. And yesterday I stumbled across someone uploading my pool in two different colours.
I can be sure it's the same pool, since they, as you can see from the picture (I crossed out their name for their privacy, except the first Letter so you can be certain they did not in fact tag me as the creator), they did hashtag me to thank me, but there was absolutely no mention that they uploaded -my- work, they stated it was Made by them. And asked to not re-upload their work. But it was my work they re-uploaded in the first place.
I commented originally, to let them know I had seen it and that I'd use their recolour of my original work in a build sometime soon.
Their only response was to upload a Third recolour of the pool.

I don't want to start arguments or cause drama, so I am taking it here to ask you guys two things.
1. Am I overreacting?
2. What do you advise that I do?

I hope someone can help me out. I just got really frustrated because I put the time and effort into my build and it feels like someone's taking advantage of that, without really giving me credit. I mean, I thanked my friend in one of my previous builds before by tagging them for simply saying "use the colour yellow", not for uploading something that I then claimed as my own.

yyLJPI8.png

Comments

• TaoronTaoron Posts: 2,031 Member

Basically, in a nut shell, and I get it (trust me, I do....we all do) your work belongs to EA, at the end of the day. I, honestly don't know why people do it. It's an enigma to me. Last time I was here, you could report the upload, from the gallery and leave a note for the devs. They may, or may not, remove the item in question from the gallery.

Don't let it get to you too much, otherwise. Keep building. Enjoy yourself. Sometimes we can't change what is.
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    Talk to them and ask them for proper credit. You're not overreacting at all. You spent time and skill making that, and if someone else snaffles it - and sans credit - it's insult and injury.

As to EA having the legal ownership, that's neither here nor there. It isn't the issue at hand. Creatives still deserve credit and common courtesy. You may need to resort to *polite but firm*, but it's all you can really do at the mo.
  • LadyAmayleeLadyAmaylee Posts: 24 Member
    Taoron wrote: »
    Basically, in a nut shell, and I get it (trust me, I do....we all do) your work belongs to EA, at the end of the day. I, honestly don't know why people do it. It's an enigma to me. Last time I was here, you could report the upload, from the gallery and leave a note for the devs. They may, or may not, remove the item in question from the gallery.

Don't let it get to you too much, otherwise. Keep building. Enjoy yourself. Sometimes we can't change what is.

@Taoron , I will certainly have a look to see if I can get into contact with anyone. I cannot message the person privately and I don't want to drag it all over the game, so thanks for that idea, I'll look into it for sure. And yes, I will keep building and enjoying. You make sure you do the same. :smiley: Thank you for the tip and for your reassurance.
    Talk to them and ask them for proper credit. You're not overreacting at all. You spent time and skill making that, and if someone else snaffles it - and sans credit - it's insult and injury.

As to EA having the legal ownership, that's neither here nor there. It isn't the issue at hand. Creatives still deserve credit and common courtesy. You may need to resort to *polite but firm*, but it's all you can really do at the mo.

@Benjamilian , I am glad to know I'm not being unreasonable, haha. I don't mind people re-uploading my builds, but at least talk to me, or drop credit where it's due? I'll look for a way to try and solve it with minimal damage, since this community tends to be so toxic-free and I'd rather keep it that way. Thank you for your kind words and help!:smiley:
  • DeanXeLDeanXeL Posts: 289 Member
    Don't report it, EA doesn't care since it's all their content anyway and the more uploads they have, the more popular they seem. The only result of that is that you no longer can see the creation (they just hide reported content from the reporter).

Also, the person did tag you, while not exactly credit, at least they did that...

When people reupload my work, it's usually an entire lot and they change the name, the description and all the hashtags, making it near impossible to find for me ... I just learned to comment on a reuploaded lot I do bump into with a remark similar to this:
    "This is a reupload/redecoration/rework of my build, please check out my gallery if you want to see more builds like this! :)" You can make it a compliment or just a remark, doesn't really matter. At least that way people know you were the one with the original idea and if they like to find similar stuff, they'd better come find it where it's actually created, no? :)
  • DollhouseCompanyDollhouseCompany Posts: 35 Member
    If someone reuploads my work im just ignoring it .It shows Original by : so at the end of the day people can still click and find your ORIGINAL work :)
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,254 Member
    I've had people re-upload my work sometimes. I know it's frustrating, but at the end of the day, I'm uploading my stuff so other people can enjoy and use them for themselves. I just put faith that simmers will find me eventually and realize that I'm the original creator.

I just remind myself:
    I'm not making any money.
    Downloads/favorites don't give me any real benefits.
    I'm not using CC content that I've created.
    I'm doing this purely for fun and making others happy.
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/