Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you want the Sims 5 personality system to work?

StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
edited March 2022 in Off Topic Chat
This assuming the system already has likes/dislikes, preferences in attraction and diet, favorites etc. Im talking about the whole general system.
The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

How do you want the Sims 5 personality system to work? 58 votes

Trait based
36%
ncisGibbs02Anthonydyertaydevlemonellamariajane216cyncieLatinaBunnyOldeseadoggeBlueOvalemikaddd994kaiwrysimsllejenaBrandontaylorSeashoreLiviaGeralt_ofRiviaCalico45mightyspriteSeasonedKatJunkyPoem 21 votes
Personality point / scale based (rpg style)
25%
EvvieSimmerjoydoveStormkeepCrazyMotherCoolIsb917DarkLady2788stephanie132392Serendipity38OnverserEnkiSchmidtStrawberryYogurtZenovisDragonmasterleofiggysimmerorigin 15 votes
Horoscope based
3%
EllGeorgianaBettyGoth 2 votes
MTBI, ennegram based or big 5 based
6%
ZhakiraPheiblumeGothangeljazzunicorns 4 votes
Another system described in my comment
27%
friendlysimmerslauravonawesomeTeeSeaviola-illyriaCAPTAIN_NXR7LiELFEricasFreePlayChicklet453681AmandèleGlacierSnowRememberJoyElliandreCangwenSallycutecatVeeDubHahcbeachwaves 16 votes

Comments

• OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Haven't played Sims 2 or 1 but the point based system always seemed a good way to do it, traits are too "all or nothing"
  • CangwenCangwen Posts: 220 Member
    I want to see traits with zodiac signs like in the sims 3. I also want emotions but not like in the sims 4.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    While I do like traits, I also really liked the points you could assign in TS2.

I would like to be able to assign traits, but then also tweak exactly how much of those traits impacted the personality.

I don't think traits should be divided evenly for all sims. For example my sim might be a slob but also more outgoing, I want to be able to adjust the "outgoing" trait points to be more relevant than the slob traits rather than them being equal.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Primarily personality point based, with the option to not use up all our starting points.

Additionally sims should receive some points to buy advantages. By taking disadvantages (like food intolerances, dietary restrictions, clumsiness), they earn more points to buy advantages with. This system needs to be subject to constant balancing as more packs get added. It should also be optional.

A romance expansion should introduce a zodiac, preferably a made up one, that influences chemistry. Chemistry should also be manipulateable by using objects like perfume.
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    edited January 2022
    Trait based
    Traits. I feel like they can add any traits they want over time in expansions and packs. A point system would be too set in stone, and we'd be missing traits like technophobe for example, because I don't see them making a slider to gauge a sim's enjoyment of technology. There's a lot more room for creativity with traits.

But on the other hand this also means there would be less nuance because it would all be trait or no trait. And we'd also be more limited in our options, we couldn't assign points in ten traits, we'd be more limited to say 3 traits total.
    Post edited by BlueOvale on
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    BlueOvale wrote: »
    Traits. I feel like they can add any traits they want over time in expansions and packs. A point system would be too set in stone, and we'd be missing traits like technophobe for example, because I don't see them making a slider to gauge a sim's enjoyment of technology. There's a lot more room for creativity with traits.

Thats a good point. Niche things like that would be hard to cover in a scale. Id really like to see personality points and traits together.

I want something like this:

19c4a90f6c186c02713a31e411d452074faf6d27.png

Like in adventure. Rpg games where you have a skill or attributes to assign. But for things like their social skills, interests, cleanliness etc

• LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Trait based
    I would like traits, unless they can add enough rpg stats to cover all sorts of traits niche stuff like family-oriented, romantic, nurturing, clumsy, absent-minded, hot-headed, childish/playful, etc.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    I'd like a little more control and nuance, but I don't want to lose out on the quirky, very specific traits that can't be made into sliders with two opposites. Therefor, I'd love something like what @Chicklet453681 suggested. I like new traits because we can get lots of new and interesting ones, but some variety and control in terms of how prominent they are (maybe just low, medium, high) would be great.

If not that, we could get basic sliders (a lot of them) for large aspects of personality (how athletic they are, sociability level, tidiness, creativity, optimism vs pessimism, courage, kindness, seriousness vs goofball, simple vs materialistic, etc.), maybe a couple trait slots for more specific personality aspects that don't have direct opposites other than "neutral" (not food intolerances, please, but things like ambitious, eco-friendly) which could be expanded along the way, and using the likes and dislikes system from the get-go for traits that just control preferences (replacing likes dogs, likes arts, geek, bookworm and such, and giving the possibility for the opposite). It would be a lot more complex, which is why I'm not sure I can ask for this realistically, but would make the sims so much more varied and interesting, as well as avoiding making us choose between big overarching traits and very niche ones, since they wouldn't be handled by the same system.
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Trait based
    I like the idea of the traits system, it encourages you to play through with different sims.

They aren’t implemented strongly enough in TS4 however… None of the sims truly feel unique 🙄
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member
    Trait based
    I never liked the personality points in S2. I prefer the traits we have now. In S2 you couldn't make a Sim whose main personality trait was creativity for its own sake, or a spiritual sim, or someone just seeking a peaceful life. Those things got relegated to skills they developed instead of aspects of who they are. I also found the "attraction" system to be shallow and geared toward horoscope signs and appearance preferences, not real personality compatibility.

However, as much as I prefer the traits, I think S4's trait system could be vastly improved upon. We need more trait options, to start with, and more trait slots per sim. Three traits do not make for a very interesting personality. I do like that my Sims get more complex as I add aspiration or satisfaction traits, but you should be able to create a sim with a fairly defined personality from the start. I would like to see sims act on their traits more autonomously. I also want to see relationships with other sims more impacted by the Sim's traits. It's there, it's just not intense enough to impact gameplay much. And, attraction, whether for friendship or romance, should have trait compatibility as a major influence, with the possibility of an "opposites attract" variable for that element of surprise.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    edited January 2022
    same as in the sims4 to me the sims5 need to be diffrent from past sims game and like the sims4 when it comes to emotion and game play and full of toggles to have more control in game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • TeeSeaTeeSea Posts: 1,556 Member
    I would love it if your sim could gain traits by learning, doing a certain activity, amount of friends or enemies. Your Sims traits would be guided by their actions. Evil Sims could turn good and vis versa.
    TeeSea wrote: »
    I would love it if your sim could gain traits by learning, doing a certain activity, amount of friends or enemies. Your Sims traits would be guided by their actions. Evil Sims could turn good and vis versa.

That could be cool :)
    In TS2 pets pets can gain traits depending on how many times they do an action & is praised for it. Something like that

• EllGeorgianaEllGeorgiana Posts: 13 New Member
    Horoscope based
    I love the idea of horoscopes but I would like for there to be more customisation I want my Sims to have more character and depth.
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    A mixture of scale based and traits. I would like Sims 1 & 2 style scale, but with no limits on how many points we can use up (e.g. we can use 10 points to all 5 slots if we want to, or we can place 2 in each slot) to determine how nice/mean, outgoing/shy, neat/slob, active/lazy, playful/serious our Sims are. Using this method to set their base personality with the addition of adding traits like creative, bookworm, loves/hates outdoors, ambitious, snob, genius, ect. to add more to their personality.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    A combination of all of those things would be great.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,398 Member
    You need both a slider system for diametric (opposite) personality attributes and traits for niche and more specific quirks.

The core personality sliders are most important for determining what animations are used, how AI works, and other qualities. The traits add additional depth and character but are more like minor buffs or changes.

You need both. I don't understand how EA has not internalized this concept.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
    You need both a slider system for diametric (opposite) personality attributes and traits for niche and more specific quirks.

The core personality sliders are most important for determining what animations are used, how AI works, and other qualities. The traits add additional depth and character but are more like minor buffs or changes.

You need both. I don't understand how EA has not internalized this concept.

Yes a hybrid of these could work so well.

• StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    While I do like traits, I also really liked the points you could assign in TS2.

I would like to be able to assign traits, but then also tweak exactly how much of those traits impacted the personality.

I don't think traits should be divided evenly for all sims. For example my sim might be a slob but also more outgoing, I want to be able to adjust the "outgoing" trait points to be more relevant than the slob traits rather than them being equal.

I agree with this idea. To be able to provide you with a Sim that "well, he stinks a bit, but he's an absolute dynamo at a party", which would be a slob with a higher outgoing level.

Traits are good, because they offer a sort of "archetype" which is a pretty familiar concept to players. Perhaps a combination of a small number of attribute points - enough to give a leg up in certain areas - combined with traits that add a few more points would be a good hybrid system. I'd want to see a few of the hidden traits from TS3 and TS4 to be able to be chosen though. I miss the "stupid" trait from the Sims 3, it was hilarious.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I feel that in this day and age, they could have more than one type of main system that drives the Sims. I've always liked the Meyers-Briggs psychological theory of 16 personalities idea instead of Horoscopes. It includes measurements between introvert/extrovert, intuitive/observant, thinking/feeling and judging/prospecting with assertive/turbulent variations.

In addition, I'd like a return of the point scales from Sims 2, maybe even expanded a bit with new categories. Finally, a trait system that has a mini scale to determine level of interest, like 1-3 so you could have three different Sims with the same interest, but 1 would be a minor interest while a 3 would be a little obsessive.

I think scales are the way to go because they allow for variables which fine tune the personality and interests.
    #Team Occult
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    Trait based
    I would like to see a robust trait system similar to Sims 3 and perhaps a toned down version of the aspiration/wants/fears system seen in Sims 2. I believe by having 4-6 traits, it can help define who the sim is and how he behaves. This way you are free to define a sim. I think the Sims 2 aspiration system can add some spice to the game, but it needs to be toned down; the Sims 2 implementation of this system is a total Rollercoaster ride and is very high maintenance. I found some of the wants or fears to be silly or arbitrary. I thought aspiration deteriorates too fast also.

I never liked the personality point system because it forces us to use up all the points and we end up creating a personality we may not like or want. Although it is not obvious, The Sims 2 had behaviors and interactions influenced by the personality levels. I remember a video going out a few years ago about 40 things from The Sims 2 that were interesting. This was in the video.

I have said it before: The Sims 4 trait system is too focused on emotions and not behaviors/interactions. Having only 3 trait slots was a mistake also. A game becomes pretty dull when the only thing its traits do is trigger a particular emotion.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    I'd like to see something based on personality matrices with values like...1 to 10, in each category, similiar to how the early sims games have it. I'd also like the same kind of point based, scaling system for interests. Again, similiar to how TS2 had it. With the two combined, personality + interests, affecting how sims behave, who they like/dislike, and what they choose to do autonomously.

Traits are too binary, and horoscopes while a cool addition for some kind of attraction system, are also too limiting in defining personality (not to mention...arbitrary). MTBI/Enneagram based is very close to the same concept as point-based, so I'd be okay with that too.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • HahcbeachwavesHahcbeachwaves Posts: 121 Member
    edited February 2022
    Traits/ personality (which are scalable so they can be made more or less intense. =base emotions = secondary emotions = actions/ reactions & memories.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Trait based
    Probably all my favorite personality systems in games have been trait based, and not just Sims (though 3's was my favorite there). I love CK3's. Traits are more than personality there. Another examples would be Project Zomboid.

I know there are more, but some systems merely dabble in traits without much more to offer. Anyway, I like to customize many unique combinations of characters and these trait systems do an excellent job of that.