Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Often Do You Redecorate Your Sim's Houses?

Currently in my story my sim self has lived in his current house since 1980 and we are now in 1984. The house has looked pretty much the same since he and his wife moved in. As his two remaining kids prepare to move out to university housing tomorrow I was thinking this would be a great opportunity to refresh the place a little bit.

This got me wondering, how often do you refresh your sims houses?

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    I do it pretty regularly. Just small changes to decor literally all the time, every few Sim days I'll tweak this or that just for a change of look.
    Entire renovations to rooms or even entire floors also happen pretty much every time there's a change to the household, be it a change in the age of children or the career/skill activity of an adult.

Toddler ages up to child, for example, their room gets an entire renovation in furniture and decor and any area that were set up with toddler activities gets a full renovation with child stuff in it's place. The same happens when a child ages to Teen, or when any adult makes a change in their career/skill.

I don't generally live on giant lots with massive houses, so renovations are needed when anything changes in terms of what kind of 'stuff' I need available in the house and it's just a good excuse for redoing decor along with it.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,846 Member
    Kind of depends on the family, sometimes I will put away everything in storage that people might be attached to and then match things together they would want. Which could be at any point such as getting a promotion or saving enough in the household funds. Other times if one of the kids will keep the house I might change every room they would spend time again and decide what they get as they have their own kids.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,572 Member
    I must admit I hate redecorating. My poor Sim kids often don't get anything that suits their age. I mostly just squeeze the necessary new items in somewhere, though I always tell myself I will properly renovate after the next birthdays, wedding or death.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,323 Member
    edited January 2022
    I rarely completely renovate the whole house all at once unless some really major change happens, like more sims moving in.

But I am constantly going in and out of build mode as I play to make adjustments to the placement of things, add an additional room, add new items, or remove items, as their needs change. And I make whatever aesthetic changes I want to make as they get more money, like adding curtains, or a nicer wallpaper. So the house is just sort of slowly evolving over time rather than being completely redone periodically.

If I do want to make major changes (such as building a whole second structure on the lot, adding a lot of additional rooms, renovating the yard, or majorly changing the main function of an existing room) I often do it in stages, interspersing the build sessions with continuing to play the story even if there is enough money to do it all at once. That way it's like the new place is actually being built, the way it would be in real life, and the sims can go check out the progress as it takes shape over the course of several days or weeks. The renovation becomes part of the story that way.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • DarkZalethDarkZaleth Posts: 6 New Member
    I renovate all the time esp when I first move them in to a new apt or then the home they eventually move into. As the family grows so does the house so it has to get add on rooms or makeovers to accommodate their needs, plus I love to decorate or create homes.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,848 Member
    Whenever the way it currently looks becomes distracting to gameplay.
    "Hey, I don't have a toddler bed and now I need one"
    "Hey, Grandma's room probably doesn't need to be kept the same way so long after her death"
    "Hey, this couple is middle-aged and reasonably well-off, their apartment shouldn't look like the apartment of two penniless 20-somethings who think bar decor on the wall is funny"
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited January 2022
    I'm pretty fussy with houses for playing in, so when I find one I like and start playing with it I usually keep it as it is, unless there's anything that absolutely needs changing for gameplay like changing from a toddler bed to a kids bed. Then when I get bored of a house I just move
  • Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,070 Member
    edited January 2022
    Another reason why I'm considering re-decoration is because my sim self's wife has been lately showing the sofa with a cross through it thought bubble indicating she no longer likes the furniture!
    Post edited by Brd709 on
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Brd709 wrote: »
    Another reason my I'm considering re-decoration is because my sim self's wife has been lately showing the sofa with a cross it thought bubble indicating she no longer likes the furniture!

Oh, that's a really good reason to redecorate! With the how Sims now have a preference for style of furniture, it's something I'm still getting used to myself.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited January 2022
    Annually or by season, or by plot. Usually by plot.
    I think of my houses like stage sets.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • VyneVyne Posts: 43 Member
    I do it if there is something required for work or the place needs some tweaks or if I have a child, I usually just buy them if they need something.
    0zd1knkd2pmo.jpg
    The fate is always on your hands.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited January 2022
    When I run out of room in the hallway/roof/lawn.

When a sim is born, ages up or their style changes.

When I add a pet to the household and need to make room for their stuff.

When there's a fire, repossession, theft or other disaster and I have to replace things anyway.

When a partner/spouse moves in and I think they are the type to redecorate to their own tastes (and assuming the original owner is the type to let them). This could end up with no changes, a blend of both sims' aesthetics or a complete spousal takeover.

When I'm not actually playing those sims, but are playing as an interior designer via another household in rotation.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    It varies, but usually once a life stage for the bedrooms/personal rooms (office, studio, gym, playroom, etc.) and once a generation for the common rooms (living, dining, kitchen, family) if I'm playing a Legacy. Basically when the next heir "comes of age" then I'll redo the living room and the main bedroom to suit them, and then rework the rest as it feels right.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,832 Member
    Usually when a new pack comes out.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    It depends on the save, and the family I’m playing, I have aging off most of the time in my main save, and most of my families live on what they make. I do cheat with a few premades. I may add or change furniture occasionally, but not real often in most houses.

I have a couple of houses of some sims that are friends and I plan giving them there own apartments…… I love renovating apartments before moving people in, especially small ones with all of those wall units and stuff from DHD. I haven’t played the career yet, but I love the wall units in the pack, and the sofa’s.

In a legacy which I rarely play I probably do the most renovating.

In my main save I’m just as likely to move a sim to a new place ( usually renovating the new place first ) as I am to do big renovations at their current place. I don’t use mansions, but I have found some builders I like to use, so if the home or apartment becomes too small I will probably move them.

I started a scenario save ( about a month ago ), can’t remember what it was called, but it was with one sim. I made a female sim for Sulani, and within a day or two of playing her she won a lottery for a million dollars ( none of my sims in the past have won that!). So I’m sure I will be renovating her place or getting her a new place in Sulani, but since she won the lottery, I may send her to college first (move someone in temporarily to her house) before sending her to college.