Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's Your Approach To New Packs?

Do you immediately jump in and complete all the new content, essentially playing the pack, or do you incorporate the new game play features into an existing save.

What's Your Approach To New Packs? 163 votes

Play the pack
12%
akirabauschMelisendremcruddAnmirlainvisiblgirlfriendlysimmerspammiechickOnverserCattyBetsyEvilyn_1007superkyle221Behappy1stkaiwrysimslogionTTNsimmerGeralt_ofRiviaDaWaterRatElliandreCalico45EternalSunshine 20 votes
Incorporate into existing gameplay
79%
Akl500Pcrocobaurabshag4lvKita5399Sara1010PGalacticGalalexspoom13SimmervilleBlkBarbiegalrudolphaStormkeepIsb917Simburiantroubleboielanorbretonhaneulmaggiemae8135Mariefoxprice83BoergeAarg61simgirl1010 129 votes
Other
8%
BluegaylePlayerSinger2010CAPTAIN_NXR7MayaRose1138Karababy52OldeseadoggeMDianaSimsNorthDakotaGamerRememberJoyKimmerIsharellSallycutecatHavenRoseImDragone 14 votes

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    I just incorporate it into my existing gameplay....and sometimes don't get around to fully exploring the options until years after I buy the pack.

My gameplay is about following Sim households that I play through generations and I still haven't included a vampire or an alien sim into any of the households I've played in TS4, nor have I done anything to investigate what's going on in Strangerville yet, despite buying that pack as soon as it came out.
    Based on how long it takes me to 'get around' to things I think I'm good for at least 10 more years of play just in what packs have already been released.

I know a lot of people are clamouring for more game and expansion packs after 6 months of nothing but kits, but I've been simming since TS1 and, just mho, TS4 already has more gameplay elements than any of the previous games in the franchise ever did (individual player opinions on quantity over quality will vary regarding that though).
    That said, I also would like to see more gameplay packs myself....just because "more to do" is good, even if it takes me forever to get to it.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Play the pack
    I dare say play the pack? Usually speaking, I am looking forward to my new addition so I want to play it immediately.

As an everything and the kitchen sink type player, I don't restrict myself at all. Sometimes I have a family or save suitable, sometimes not, but I check out all the new stuff until I've had my fill with all my other pack elements present.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I never focus on just one pack in any of my gameplay. I incorporate everything within my story.

I like to discover everything on my own when a new pack/kit is released as well, so I only watch the official trailers, never any game changers or let's plays or anything at all. I also do not look at any pre-pack leaks of the CAS or BB preview pics that people like to post because again, I like to see everything in person and be surprised.

If a kit/pack doesn't interest me from the official trailers, then it's a no brainer and I have no need to research it further.

The only kits/packs I have not bought are JtB (which I had zero interest in that theme, I'm not a sci-fi player or Star Wars fanatic, nor do I play "fantasy" gameplay and none of the CAS/BB stuff were remotely my style and the Modern Menswear kits I knew was not ever something I'd use either, so those 2 I skipped). I have found something I can/will use in every kit/pack I've bought.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited January 2022
    Play the pack
    I play the pack and explore it, I feel this is often how Maxis designs the packs as well, they are often built to invite the player. Sims come knocking on the door, or call you, or you get a notification that a festival, fair whatever is going on.

As I unlock more things in the pack, I start building more, and create more sims, look on the gallery what other simmers have created and try to create more sims myself.

If I find the pack interesting enough, I start to try and do different things with the pack, but this is more difficult to do if I feel that the pack is more isolated, don't offer enough new things, don't work well with other packs or if I have already done very similar things already. I often end up creating a "hero" sim household and once that household is maxed out, I struggle to create new ones to play if the experience is too similar to what I have already played.
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    Play the pack
    If I play the pack with a test save, I figure out HOW I want to incorporate the pack into gameplay.

Do I like this feature? Nope, won't go there in a kept save.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    Play the pack
    Though this may count as "other"

I have a test save (well, had, I'll need to make a new one) where I make a new household and play focusing on the pack features for about a week or two sims time.

Then I go back to my regular save and incorporate it all in. It also lets me find bugs so that I can be aware of them before they mess up my regular save.
  • jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    I only play one save file currently, which are the ones on my profile pic (I'll marry them after the love game pack comes out lol). I still have packs I haven't really explored yet, I haven't even been to the Japan world yet (I plan my sims to go there for their honeymoon though, and they will have their first woohoo there and make a baby too lol).

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,456 Member
    Other
    It depends.

If the theme suits my existing gameplay I will incorporate it into the story, although often times a new pack inspires me to create a fresh save for a new story with new characters.
    Sometimes a new world suits an existing story much better, in that case I’d transfer the main households from an older world to the new neighborhood and pretend they always lived there.

What I never do is play all the content of that pack until it’s “finished”. I don’t even know how to enjoy that. I haven’t explored many of the features of packs that I own.
    Some of the games that I play seem extremely fast paced, (to me 🐌) and I like that The Sims can offer a bit of contrast to the usual mayhem. Although I’m an adventure player, I tend to take my time to appreciate every detail of older and newer packs.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,934 Member
    I just go into my existing save and start exploring

but i do tend to go through cas b/b world/lots and new premades first to just see everything once and hopefully remember it when i feel like making use of it

and then probably end up building something/s or redress some sims

aaand then probably i have wasted some long time so i play the next day or so :sweat_smile:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I usually incorporate it into my existing gameplay.
    I continue my save file, and usually will make a new family to start testing the pack out, but also try to see what the pack has to offer.
    I may update the looks of my previous Sims if I like the new hairstyles, and I will also give them a new wardrobe overall.
    I got my packs around the same time, and use them all at the same time. I have different families more dedicated to each pack, but I am still far from exploring every single feature of each pack. I only started the Sims in late 2018, and only recently got some packs, so I have a lot to play of the game, and a lot to explore.
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,570 Member
    edited January 2022
    I always incorporate new pack content into the save I play since shortly after the release of the Base Game.

CoL was the only exception because of the bloating save file bug. I didn't want to ruin my save for good, but I missed it all the time and haven't touched my CoL save since I fixed the bug and could return to my beloved save.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2022
    I continue with the same save, but I have different families.

I’m still exploring many of the past packs as well, so the incorporation depends on my sims.

I sometimes create a new family for the pack (within the same save, but in a different household in the various worlds, as I am a rotational player), but for other packs, I sometimes mix a few of the new pack’s features into the family household that I have currently rotated into.

To incorporate a new pack for a family depends on the current sim’s personality and backstory, and where their lives are heading to at the moment.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,414 Member
    I usually start a test save to explore the basics oriented most interesting aspects of a pack. Then I return to my regular game. Sometimes I focus on the new content with an existing family, sometimes I continue playing the story I was playing before. In any case, I never try to rush through a pack as quickly as possible, I try to take my time to explore it.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Other
    It really depends on the pack. Some, like University, I incorporate into an existing save, because I had teens ready to go. Others, like Cottage Living, I started a new save for, because I wanted to come up with a new story for a fresh save. :)
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 889 Member
    I always incorporate new packs into my existing gameplay. I play generational, so I don't ever just start fresh saves just for the pack, if my current saves are buggy I might start a new game, but otherwise they are always incorporated.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Other
    Sometimes I'll incorporate it into an existing gameplay save, for instance in my One Month, One World, One Year challenge. However, I normally start a new save and use my tester Sim, Tina Tester, to explore the pack first before starting another save to properly play with it. Tina has a lot of skills, careers experience and has completed many aspirations as a result. She's almost as accomplished as my Super Sims! :D
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited January 2022
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    but I've been simming since TS1 and, just mho, TS4 already has more gameplay elements than any of the previous games in the franchise ever did

I've been playing since TS1 as well, and I find it very surprising that you feel this way, as I respectfully have to completely disagree. (I was already well into adulthood when I started playing TS1, so my memories are not colored by childhood nostalgia or anything like that.)

Now, I think it would be fair to say that TS4 runs more smoothly than TS3, but there's no way on earth that I would say it has more gameplay elements. It's probably fair to say it has more gameplay elements than TS1, but that seems like a pretty low bar to clear considering the decades that have passed then... it would be a pretty sad state of affairs if it hadn't advanced at all in that time. I think it's actually pretty comparable to TS2; some things are better, some things are worse, but it's roughly the same level, which is not impressive considering how long ago TS2 released. It seems pretty clear that TS3 was a giant leap forward, and they weren't really prepared for it, so they took a big step backwards with TS4 at release. The team does seem to be trying to incrementally move the ball forward post-release; I applaud the continuing effort, and some of the content has been great, but I don't see how anyone could do a pack by pack comparison of 3 to 4 and think that we're getting more now. The vast majority of elements are shallower.

CAW? No. Color wheel? No. The ability to add lots to neighborhoods? No. Underwater swimming and swimming in every world? No. Smaller and fewer worlds? Yes. Fewer occults. Fewer pets, and less ability to control the ones we do. I could go on and on, but I think we all know what the most commonly requested missing items are at this point. I do think we'll get some of them in the end, but a lot of what we had in the past, we will never get in TS4. There's plenty I do like about this game, but I just don't see how anyone could think it's a richer experience than TS3 or even TS2.
    Post edited by Amapola76 on
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I usually play a test save to get used to how new gameplay aspects work, maybe play a few career levels or try out new skills, life states or features but I don't play all new features exhaustively.

Then I incorporate them in my main save over time.

Some things, like new hobbies/games, I can incorporate immediately. Other things, like careers/traits/aspirations/lifestyles I might have to wait until a sim ages up or joins a household through other means.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    @Amapola76, part of the reason you don't agree is because though I specified "gameplay" you are including a lot of things that aren't actually "gameplay" in your analysis. Things like CAW, adding lots wherever you want, Color Wheel, etc. aren't "gameplay" though they certainly can be considered as enhancing gameplay. Your view of "shallower" is why I made the side bar regarding "quantity over quality."

Sims 3, in particular, has far less "gameplay" in a single game, in my opinion, because, they designed it such that you only have access to one world and the vacation destinations within a single game. I'm aware that there's a mod to remove that restriction, but mods aren't part of the discussion.
    Post edited by Stormkeep on
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,321 Member
    Usually if I buy a pack I have something specific in mind for one of my saves that will make use of some aspect of the pack. But it might take me a while to get around to it, depending on how it fits in the story, and how often I am playing that particular save.

I don't deliberately explore the pack. I just use aspects of it as I find a use for them. If I want to know how a feature works before incorporating it into one of my stories, I read a tutorial.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2022
    Regarding gameplay, it may depend on what elements one likes.

However, imho, I do feel Sims 3 packs (and Sims 2) had more stuff to do in general, though. Like, there were more interactions and systems within. Sims 1, 2, and 3 had magic stuff that are not in the Sims 4, as well.

However, there are some elements of Sims 4 that I do prefer, like the vampires system and toddlers, and some of the Parenthood elements, etc. I love how much easier it is to do some things, too. I love the little things that got added like cooking together, clubs, etc. There were some things that were brought back, eventually, in Sims 4, and I loved that, too. Or, Sims 4 may have sort of brought some similar stuff back. (Sims 4 did not bring back sewing, but they brought in knitting and cross-stitching, for example.)

I do miss underwater exploration, seeing the kraken and sharks (and summoning said kraken), taking the toddlers and babies everywhere (my strollers, where are they? *cries*), baby/toddler swings, washing babies in the sinks, home businesses, attraction system, hotels, fairies (or more occults), and some other things that are still missing from Sims 4.

I still love Sims 4 very much, but I also loved the past Sims games as well, and I do feel Sims 4 is still missing some stuff from the past.

Anyway, this is getting a bit off-topic for the thread.

To get back on-topic: I very much enjoy putting in some new pack gameplay into my Sims 4 families in the same save file, but I use elements for different families because it depends on their personalities and their life-stories.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    edited January 2022
    Other
    The first thing I do is check out the new CAS and BB content to get rid of the catalogue highlights - and see if there are nice swatches hidden in there.
    Then I usually play for some time in a dedicated test save. Once I know the basics of how things work, it just finds its way into existing saves (unless I decide a feature is too annoying and I prefer to turn it off). I generally don't play the entire pack in my test save, it becomes too much of a grind to just complete all the new stuff.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    When I started my current save I decided to do a rotation where each family was focused on one expansion or game pack I owned. This has changed to one expansion or two game packs. But I also do lots of regular family things and I have saved some things for future generations so I haven't gotten to everything yet. I purchase packs when they seem like they'll fit (Strangerville and Eco Lifestyle came out right when I needed to create new households that would be perfect for them), or get them for Christmas. The Christmas ones don't always get worked in right away, and even the ones that do are only the focus of one household in a large rotation so it takes me a long time to do anything.

For example, I have not yet sent a single student to university in my main save despite owning the pack for over a year, because I got it after the third generation was partly YA already, so I decided to save it for the 4th generation. But I have sims who own ping pong tables and I use the CAS items. And while my sims eat out all the time, I am waiting for a current teen to age up before owning a restaurant. It took me about a rl year to get through the Strangerville story.

So kinda like @Stormkeep said, it will take me a long time to finish the content I already own. I want werewolves and a few other things, but I have plenty to do while I wait for them.
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    I usually wait until the next generation of my legacy before I buy a new pack and play with it with my new heir. c:
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Other
    Depends on pack. Usually blend in with existing gameplay, but Cottage Living has been the exception. That has been my virtual ticket to Heathrow and the countryside beyond.