Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims and Cinematic Storytelling

The Sims is working on adding significant new Cinematic Story aspects!
Now, before we begin with this post let me state the obvious – nothing is officially confirmed and it could take some time before we see the development of these features come to life.

The official EA Careers website has published a new Career Opportunity for the Maxis Studio. The latest published opportunity is looking for a Storyboard Artist who will help visualize everyday life moments into a video game. We of course presume it’s for The Sims considering that described scenarios that they’re looking for fit perfectly into gameplay and features that you would expect from The Sims.

The initial description of this job opportunity requires for a Storyboard Artist to visualize body language, relationship dynamics and timing and spacing between important characters.

Check out the full description below:

We’re looking for a gifted visual storyteller to help us visualize our designs, gameplay experiences, and technology solutions through animatics and storytelling. Maxis creates life simulations that tell stories through characters in every-day or extravagant situations. As such, we need someone who can help us explore body language, visualize relationship dynamics and play with timing and spacing between characters.

We’re interested to know:

How do a couple watch a romantic movie together when one is upset with the other?
How does a husband engage in a conversation with his wife, while he almost breaks a new record on his favorite video game?
How does a family cook together in the same kitchen while carrying out a conversation?

Our ideal candidate is someone who is thrilled to contribute visually and share ideas, in a collaborative environment with several disciplines, and who loves telling stories about every-day life.

The responsibilities for this opportunity share more about the potential Story-driven features for The Sims. The Storyboard Artist will have to bring to life characters with emotion, humor and dynamic actions and gestures for each character. Check out the full list of responsibilities below:

More here:
https://simscommunity.info/2022/01/13/ea-might-bring-cinematic-storytelling-to-the-sims/

Comments

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I really wish this is for ts4. As I'm not interesting In starting over with a new sims anytime soon. But this sounds really really amazing. Especially since I think animations and interactions are what we lack most in ts4
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    "How would a flirty sim behave differently on a pool club versus a bar" - I want that level of environment consciousness - and more! At the moment our sims have no awareness of appropriate behaviour at all. They take their lunch to the bathroom, they cloud gaze blocking a venue's main entrance, play guitar and do pushups in a tense court situation (yes, I know, my bad for trying to play that out), and goofball sims cannot even keep their composure for five minutes when they talk to their boss.

"How does a family cook together and holds a conversation" - Well, one of my earliest tries had the middle daughter toss eggs everwhere and the oldest daughter hiding in a corner :D I got a couple af amazing screenshots of their dynamics, but at the same time I knew it was just a result of wonky routing. Still love that feature and would like to see it improved.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    I don’t care for which title this is….I think I’m going to apply for this job.
    This is right up my alley and I could do with a change of scenery. 😅

• kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I don’t care for which title this is….I think I’m going to apply for this job.
    This is right up my alley and I could do with a change of scenery. 😅

Good luck! I love to see passionate simmers get Maxis jobs (like ashaife who is now simguruash)

What would ur simguru name be 🤔
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,703 Member
    SimGuruCapt
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited January 2022
    That sounds like a good step forward. I have often felt that Maxis actually did a pretty good job with showcasing emotions through the animations and the language in the sims4. When sims are embarrassed or angry for example, all their speech is completely different and their body language is different too. You don't think about that when playing the game, because "fine" is so common, but with new animations and language they often record different ones for all emotions, which is impressive.

Sounds like they are considering relationships to matter this time around, which I think is a really good idea.

Man, I want them to announce the sims5 already, doesn't matter if there are many more years until we will know more. I just would like to know more what their goal is.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,547 Member
    This all sounds very interesting. Looking forward to seeing more of what might develop.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    logion wrote: »
    That sounds like a good step forward. I have often felt that Maxis actually did a pretty good job with showcasing emotions through the animations and the language in the sims4. When sims are embarrassed or angry for example, all their speech is completely different and their body language is different too. You don't think about that when playing the game, because "fine" is so common, but with new animations and language they often record different ones for all emotions, which is impressive.

Sounds like they are considering relationships to matter this time around, which I think is a really good idea.

Man, I want them to announce the sims5 already, doesn't matter if there are many more years until we will know more. I just would like to know more what their goal is.

Actually you made an interesting point. Sims will do certain things differently based on their emotions but not much based on personality, relationships, etc. Imagine if they did that but with traits with sims 5. Even with relationships it would be a lot more interesting.

Your sim is a mean sim but they are happy. Their facial expression, demeanor, and they way they interact with other sims should be different than a nice sim that is happy. If a sim has a bad relationship with another sim then automatically every animation with that sim should be different and shouldn't look the same as a sim interacting with another sim they have a good relationship with.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited January 2022
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    logion wrote: »

Actually you made an interesting point. Sims will do certain things differently based on their emotions but not much based on personality, relationships, etc. Imagine if they did that but with traits with sims 5. Even with relationships it would be a lot more interesting.

Your sim is a mean sim but they are happy. Their facial expression, demeanor, and they way they interact with other sims should be different than a nice sim that is happy. If a sim has a bad relationship with another sim then automatically every animation with that sim should be different and shouldn't look the same as a sim interacting with another sim they have a good relationship with.

Yeah, I'm hoping this will be the case, it sounds like relationships and traits will matter more. Because if you place a bunch of sims in a room talking with each other in the sims4 with different relationships (friend, enemy, son, daughter etc.) they will behave more or less the same as a bunch of sims that do not know each other and maybe they are looking into improving that.