Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living Realization

sulfurstylesssulfurstyless Posts: 100 Member
Hello, so I may or may not have a guess regarding Island Living. So, we know it lacks gameplay, however, it also introduces us to a culture - the Polynesian culture. I think representing a culture is a great thing, especially if people are like "oh the Polynesian islands are just for tourism" and ignore the culture. It raises awareness that Polynesia (and Sulani) shall not be treated as a tourism attraction place and rather to treat it seriously. Albeit it shouldn't be an expansion pack, but rather a game pack, do you think this pack was made to focus much more on the culture rather than gameplay? If I had said anything offensive or illogical, then please let me know and I'll fix my wording and take notes.
Ambitions > Island Paradise > World Adventures > Generations > Showtime > Seasons > Supernatural > University Life > Pets > Late Night > Into The Future

Comments

• temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    Personally I think it needs a refresh, there's no underwater residential lots for mermaid Sims, mermaids were the main selling point of the pack, I get what you're saying that there's a culture that needs to be respected.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    The only things I felt the pack was lacking in were the mermaids, which need more fleshing out, and having no underwater exploration like Sims 3. (I also missed houseboats.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I agree that the pack is about presenting a non-commercialized version of a Polynesian island locale. It's also sort of a blank slate for the player to get what they want from the world. Personally, I've left a lot of it as its own autonomous place and designated a lot where I built my own version of a restaurant/hotel/spa that the islanders in my game permitted. I find it to be an interesting pack. Someone who wants to can take the culture out and turn it all into beach tourism - honestly, it's your game, do whatever you want. I do think it's interesting that it does have a totally different culture though. Chilling out is also essentially part of that culture so sims who go and relax are kind of respecting that.

I'm all for letting people play however they want and like seeing more options for activities but I've had a lot of fun with this one. I've kept a lot of the pre-mades as a tribe of locals who selectively give visas so it's easy to visit but hard to live there unless they want you. I also created a shipwrecked character who ended up being hilarious because he fell in love with a woman living in the shack by the volcano and on their wedding day, they won the lottery. So, they moved to Lani St. Taz where I downloaded them a luxury beach mansion on short notice but they still dress a bit like they are shipwrecked. They ended up having two sets of twins so they have a bunch of kids now but they're a lot of fun. I was going to have them get by on selling shells.

I also have an island princess growing up in the Hoapili family in what was the palace of the island. There's also some drama among the other households but the pre-mades are nearly all part of the indigenous tribe in my game, so when I play that world, I do keep elements of the locals hanging onto their land and managing the development.

It's a gorgeous world and you can decide how much of the culture to keep or you can make it all vacation pads for your own sims. I think that's reflective of real debates in places like Hawaii, but it is set up so you can be open-ended which I like. I do send a lot of honeymooners there, mostly to one lot on Key Point that I made the tourism spot. They can swim across to the waterfalls and explore the surrounding lesser developed islands without loading screens. Since I have a restaurant and beds/baths, they can stay as long as they want.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    The only things I felt the pack was lacking in were the mermaids, which need more fleshing out, and having no underwater exploration like Sims 3. (I also missed houseboats.)

Yeah same I think an underwater lot would have added a lot. The pack is really focused on a specific lifestyle so it doesn't translate well to other worlds but I don't mind packs like that.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • sulfurstylesssulfurstyless Posts: 100 Member

Personally, I'm 50/50 on them taking out the houseboats. While they're a unique and a cool idea, they also lag the game (from my experience with IP).
    Ambitions > Island Paradise > World Adventures > Generations > Showtime > Seasons > Supernatural > University Life > Pets > Late Night > Into The Future
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member

Personally, I'm 50/50 on them taking out the houseboats. While they're a unique and a cool idea, they also lag the game (from my experience with IP).

Oh, yeah, that’s true! 😄

I had to install certain mods to make sure my Sims 3 game worked more smoothly, yeah…
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    I can understand the lack of hotels, but I cannot understand the lack of hammocks, hula dancing, or surfing. There should also have been a canoe or a raft to transport an entire family over the water. Some local songs would also have been nice for sims to sing around the fire when they get together.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I can understand the lack of hotels, but I cannot understand the lack of hammocks, hula dancing, or surfing. There should also have been a canoe or a raft to transport an entire family over the water. Some local songs would also have been nice for sims to sing around the fire when they get together.

Oh I think a new dance style would have been fun for sure like in Selvadorada
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited January 2022
    I wish you could see when people went diving, and I wish the part time life guard and fishing job had been active rather than just a rabbit hole. But other than that, I think the pack feels fairly complete. There is beach combing, sunbathing, castle making, shell collecting, jet skiing, wind sailing/fishing on the boat, easy going festivals ( which we should have had on the calendar ), part time/errand work, and then whatever other types of lots that you want. I made the shipwrecked lot into a shipwrecked/nightclub lot with a bottom floor a bnb with small kitchen and a small living room dining room, bed and bathrooms…. It looks kind of like a haunted ship on the bottom with candles. It has park stuff outside, and towels for sunbathing. I also have a ship:restaurant at a dock. The lot by the volcano is a base for the marine biologist, or a rental. It is a relaxing, fun vacation spot for my sims….. not real commercialized.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,548 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

This. And ukulele.
  • HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    Yeah this is pretty much while I enjoy my time in Sulani with what it is. A lot of it does come off more as expressing that actual native islander culture in a way that is fairly idealized and not with the struggles Hawaii is currently under with commericalization. Even in the fairly idealized and wealthy location naturally has more native than non-native population around. (Of which, there is a grand total of one, and she married into the culture)

You can still have your personal takes as is on what the actual life is life. I, for one, view the Kahananui's as sell outs. However, the family with the most money and therefore the social power is the cheftian houshold of Hoapili household, who as an express mission of "No tourist build up within Ohan'ali Town," so rentals can be made within that location. So far, Sulani has only one rental home for tourists within my save file, over in Lani St. Taz with that starter lot. (But with a slightly improved home from the Gallery)

Mermaids...as much as I love them, feel kinda like an afterthought and are even so within my gameplay! I only have one native mermaid household, though I did manage to move in poster-girl Nalani into a home and has a relationship. They feel like a "we HAVE to have this in this one for old gameplay sake." Still love them though. Adored mermaids growing up.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • CybersbeCybersbe Posts: 108 Member
    It shouldn't too hard for Maxis to make Lifeguards into a playable career. Mechanics similar to the Sims 3's lifeguard job shouldn't be too hard to implement in the current Sims 4 code. All they'd have to do is add a new moodlet/state where Sims are engaged in panicked flailing in the water but aren't dying yet, and make it possible to save them before it's too late.
  • bbdarlingo8sbbdarlingo8s Posts: 201 Member
    > @cyncie said:
    > This. And ukulele.

YES! I'd love new instruments for real - like ukulele, which would be appropriate and rewarding for IL
    also some kind of whimsical mermaid lute would be nice...
    crossing fingers for the refresh!
    Check out my gallery #bbdarlingo8s
    Go to my Build Showcase 🏡
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Hotels and hospitality features would've been nice... but knowing EA, we'll probably get a completely separate game or expansion pack for that.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    edited January 2022
    My simworld's Sulani got horrifically gentrified somewhere along the way, as many of my "mainlander" sims with the Loves Outdoors and Loner traits ended up moving to the islands. It ended up becoming a plot point in a couple of my in-game story threads, quite accidentally becoming a parallel of the real-world problems Hawaii has had with the mainland population since gaining statehood in 1959. I'm not sure which way I want to go with the story; it's at a crossroads. But a pack refresh that adds a lot more explicitly cultural island vibes would certainly make it easy to resist the urge to just assimilate the island culture into the main simworld's cultural vibe.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 949 Member
    edited January 2022
    I don't know the Polynesian culture. So far, I kept the premade sims and added a few households more to Sulani.
    Some beach lots are still available for tourists.

2022-010.png

This is the closest I come to bed and breakfast, though.
    12_01_12.png

I guess these two lots are not true to the Polynesian culture. :)

12_01_13.png

Don't feel sorry for the three sims living on that lot. Most of their home is below ground level out of reach from the vulcano.

12_01_14.png

A mermaid and a merman live on that lot.

Post edited by BoergeAarg61 on
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    edited January 2022
    Hotels and hospitality features would've been nice... but knowing EA, we'll probably get a completely separate game or expansion pack for that.

The Perfect hotel in sims 4 would have murphy beds and serve poor quality pufferfish nigiri as the only menu dish, might throw in vending machines and other death traps, might have to write that down, I'm getting my creative juices flowing, kind of want my sim guests to think they're in a Saw movie.
    edited January 2022

The Perfect hotel in sims 4 would have murphy beds and serve poor quality pufferfish nigiri as the only menu dish, might throw in vending machines and other death traps, might have to write that down, I'm getting my creative juices flowing, kind of want my sim guests to think they're in a Saw movie.

I really laughed at this - that is delightfully, darkly imaginative!
    Like the dark "Fantasy Island"??
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member

I really laughed at this - that is delightfully, darkly imaginative!
    Like the dark "Fantasy Island"??

Sounds like Fantasy Island meets Lost.

"Boss! Boss! De plane crash!"
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Sulani needs hotels and resorts.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member

I think that is probably a given. I'm expecting a Hotels Expansion or Gamepack and I hope it's this year as long as we can place hotels in all worlds.

I think that is probably a given. I'm expecting a Hotels Expansion or Gamepack and I hope it's this year as long as we can place hotels in all worlds.

honestly, I'd buy that
    if it was hotels and hospitality careers like hotel manager - that tops out at hotel empire master - and event planner
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    Can be culture and gameplay in a pack, just like at Jungle Adventure. Had a skill pertaining to it. Kinda wish there was one that came with IL to be honest and expand more on it that and make the festivals a bit more engaging and interesting. If not for that plus needing some more water related activities and more things pertaining to island culture and natives. I'd find it to be a good EP.

Least with this one I can use a lot more items outside the world in comparison to Snowy Escape.

I know people keep mentioning htoels and such with that pack, but it doesn't seem like it would fit with the theme at all.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • VyneVyne Posts: 43 Member
    It doesn't when it comes to gameplay.
    0zd1knkd2pmo.jpg
    The fate is always on your hands.