Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I sometimes feel like there is a hidden "bad luck" trait...

I have had a ton of issues with fires with my current Sim household.

When they had a toddler...she constantly was putting her wabbit tablet down too close to the fireplace. I think we went through 8 or 9 tablets, lost to fires, to that little tyke.

I also knitted a rug and put it down under the rocking chair...the chair itself never having caught on fire made me feel it was not too close to the fire.
Boy was I wrong.

Twice now Kim Goldbloom has decided to brew a potion while visiting this household. Both times, the kitchen stove caught on fire while she was cooking it...

Now I took the same Household on their first vacation to Granite Falls, and no sooner did I take one Sim away from the campgrounds and the campfire caused a massive fire. By the time I got my attention over to it the blaze was huge, we're talking 3x3 grid and everything in it on fire.

I can't remember the last time I had a Sim household with so many different instances of fires. It's freaking insane.
This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
The Winters family Tree --- My Mods

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Could be. I had a sim living in Glimmerbrook that always had all kinds of outdoor furniture struck by lighting, to the point that I eventually stopped replacing it. :neutral:
  • JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    My sims are so tired of salads and BLTs, but I got tired of the fires and won't let them use the stove till they reach Cooking level 3. And even then ...
    The cake is a lie
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    JustMeAlb wrote: »
    My sims are so tired of salads and BLTs, but I got tired of the fires and won't let them use the stove till they reach Cooking level 3. And even then ...

I hear you there, the first thing I usually do with a new household is get one person up to a higher cooking level. It's insane how often you get stove fires before that.

After the campfire incident in my OP I actually made my own tuning mod for fireplaces and campfires. I didn't set them to "no fires" but I did greatly lower the chance of fires. I left stoves alone though. Having once watched a person irl start a stove fire when all she was doing was boiling water....I fully respect the game's depiction of bad cooks and fires.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Maybe it's some traits that have more chances of starting fires. I have a slob sim that constantly starts stove fires. All other sims just burn the food if not skilled enough. I don't let them eat burnt food, they have to cook it again. :lol:
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    I have had a ton of issues with fires with my current Sim household.

When they had a toddler...she constantly was putting her wabbit tablet down too close to the fireplace. I think we went through 8 or 9 tablets, lost to fires, to that little tyke.

I also knitted a rug and put it down under the rocking chair...the chair itself never having caught on fire made me feel it was not too close to the fire.
    Boy was I wrong.

Twice now Kim Goldbloom has decided to brew a potion while visiting this household. Both times, the kitchen stove caught on fire while she was cooking it...

Now I took the same Household on their first vacation to Granite Falls, and no sooner did I take one Sim away from the campgrounds and the campfire caused a massive fire. By the time I got my attention over to it the blaze was huge, we're talking 3x3 grid and everything in it on fire.

I can't remember the last time I had a Sim household with so many different instances of fires. It's freaking insane.

So interesting, I've wondered the same thing sometimes when I had a Sim who just seemed unlucky in everything. It would make the game more interesting if it were the case.

About rugs and fires though, it drives me bonkers that something that should prevent fires, in the game causes them. Woollen hearth rugs are naturally fire resistant and may smolder if a cinder lands on them, but won't just burst into flame as if they were cotton.
    Having no hearth rug (unless it's stone or masonry in front of the fireplace) is what should be the fire risk.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    My Ottomas family are always starting fires. They've got through so many cookers and kitchen cupboards it's unbelievable!

Their whole family are such expert firefighters that they rush over and put it out before even the smoke alarm has time to go off.
    edited January 2022
    Woollen hearth rugs are naturally fire resistant and may smolder if a cinder lands on them, but won't just burst into flame as if they were cotton.
    Having no hearth rug (unless it's stone or masonry in front of the fireplace) is what should be the fire risk.

EXACTLY! Ugh...drives me crazy I can't put a rug right up to the fireplace because, growing up, that's precisely how it was set up in our house. We had a lovely cast iron Franklin stove in the family room, and a rug which sat right in front of it specifically to protect the hard wood floor.

Even upgrading to fireproof doesn't help in TS4. I swear it did in previous Sims games, though maybe I modded those too and just don't remember.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited January 2022
    Woollen hearth rugs are naturally fire resistant and may smolder if a cinder lands on them, but won't just burst into flame as if they were cotton.

EXACTLY! Ugh...drives me crazy I can't put a rug right up to the fireplace because, growing up, that's precisely how it was set up in our house. We had a lovely cast iron Franklin stove in the family room, and a rug which sat right in front of it specifically to protect the hard wood floor.

Even upgrading to fireproof doesn't help in TS4. I swear it did in previous Sims games, though maybe I modded those too and just don't remember.

I have lived in houses with open fires all my life and hearth rugs are essential for the reasons you describe. Of course, build/buy also needs some fireguards to make sure :) I always put one of those up when the fire is unattended.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
    I have lived in houses with open fires all my life and hearth rugs are essential for the reasons you describe. Of course, build/buy also needs some fireguards to make sure :) I always put one of those up when the fire is unattended.

The lack of fire guards in build/buy has bothered me in every Sim's game to date and I don't think I've ever seen CC for it even. It is crazy!

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    I'm sorry for your bad luck, @Stormkeep I went through quite a bout with the current family I'm playing. Albeit, an earlier iteration of this family. They did seem prone to fires, in general. Dryer fires, kitchen fires, fireplace fires. Mostly the dryer fires, though. It was crazy-insane. I hope things settle down for you, it's miserable when you can't play without a Sim being in such jeopardy.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    edited January 2022
    Oh, great...@GalacticGal, why'd you have to bring up dryer fires? They haven't had one of those yet and I didn't even think about it being a possibility. Now I'm going to be nervous every time they do laundry. :lol:
    Oh, great...@GalacticGal, why'd you have to bring up dryer fires? They haven't had one of those yet and I didn't even think about it being a possibility. Now I'm going to be nervous every time they do laundry. :lol:

Just make certain you have a Sim clean the lint out. I generally will have the Sim who empties the dryer clean the lint trap right away. Or, if you forget, then when the Sim who is loading the dryer with the clean wet clothes, you can have them first clean the lint trap and then start the dryer. We have to manually have them do it. I haven't had more than one in this new game save with the same family, thankfully. I think Kayleigh is very distracted. Happily, she's okay. And, mostly the Butlers are the ones who won't clean out the trap! :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    Oh, all good then. The dryer has been upgraded with the handiness upgrade that handles the lint automatically. \o/
    Cool. I should try that one. Erik has more than enough upgrade parts.
  • Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,094 Member
    I gave a sim the Clumsy Trait and put them on a Cursed Lot... The amount of misfortune that happened was crazy... Did I forget to mention it was in Sulani with Volcanic Activity. Not only did the stereo spontaneously combust multiple times, but lava bombs started fires too.

That same sim would get electrocuted doing repairs. I'm surprised my legacy founder survived. lol.

I'm happy merfolk can call rainstorms because that helped to put out the fires. On the bright side, my clumsy sim actually became a competent firefighter.

I know that clumsy sims fail more at certain activities, but I'm not sure I could start another legacy that way.

Now, on the other side of things, I have wrecked half a lot calling thunderstorms and making the sky rain fire with elemental mermen. My twins got a little out of control...

edited January 2022
    Here are the pictures.

50355030141_8d1088f08f_h.jpg

I forgot that the chemistry set caught on fire too...

50363991738_6e408b64e1_h.jpg

50363991823_73a086f081_h.jpg

50364851397_e79cfd3493_h.jpg

His wife also got good at putting out the fires...

50363991593_b02bdfd6d6_h.jpg

50353035516_248944e884_b.jpg
    I absolutely love that giant magma rock.
    It has helped me feel like my Sim household doesn't have as bad of luck as they could have... :lol:
    My theory is that these unfortunate things are built into the game, and I do think some sims are genuinely unlucky. However, there's definitely a way to make it more noticeable.
    I absolutely love that giant magma rock.
    It has helped me feel like my Sim household doesn't have as bad of luck as they could have... :lol:

Thank goodness Sulani neighbors and townies assist with putting out fires. It's actually a feature of Sulani. Whenever a fire starts, neighbors and random townies will show up to help put out fires instead of a fire department.

But, volcanic eruptions don't just drop giant magma rocks, they wake up sims in the middle of the night with earthquakes. Try raising toddlers in those conditions, not to mention Reef and Sara had twins...
    @Metior_Ice , that is pretty awesome. I've never had any sims do anything in Sulani other than take a short vacation so far so I wasn't aware of it. I also replaced all the lots with decent reno's from the gallery so now I'm questioning if more lots originally had the lot trait for eruptions than what my game has now. I've literally never seen it happen in my game.
  • JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    Pretty certain that the lot nearest the volcano is the only one that comes with that lot challenge trait set, played that world pretty intensively for a week after I got the pack.
    The cake is a lie
    JustMeAlb wrote: »
    Pretty certain that the lot nearest the volcano is the only one that comes with that lot challenge trait set, played that world pretty intensively for a week after I got the pack.

Thanks! I was going to start a new game just to check which lots are supposed to have it. I looked in my current in-progress game and NONE of them have it. I am going to add it back to the lot where it should be.
    edited January 2022
    @Metior_Ice , that is pretty awesome. I've never had any sims do anything in Sulani other than take a short vacation so far so I wasn't aware of it. I also replaced all the lots with decent reno's from the gallery so now I'm questioning if more lots originally had the lot trait for eruptions than what my game has now. I've literally never seen it happen in my game.

@Stormkeep

Most of the Island Living features aren't immediately obvious.

Among other things:

Lot traits have to be added, and volcanic activity is actually a lot challenge now.

Island Elementals are hidden behind the Child of the Islands Trait

The conservationist career has a couple reward traits that are mutually exclusive

Island Spirits are another lot trait

Odd jobs are accessed from your phone

If you never do anything in Sulani or pursue pack related content, you probably wouldn't know about any of it.

Sulani is a great place for fishing, collecting various metals, crystals, and fossils, and I know that the dolphins can give sims rare collectibles too.
    Thanks for the tips @Metior_Ice, I knew about the lot challenge for volcanic activity and lot trait for Island Spirits, but I wasn't aware of the Island Elemental thing.

I've really got to take the time to explore Sulani and what it offers more thoroughly. >.<
    Thanks for the tips @Metior_Ice, I knew about the lot challenge for volcanic activity and lot trait for Island Spirits, but I wasn't aware of the Island Elemental thing.

I've really got to take the time to explore Sulani and what it offers more thoroughly. >.<

No problem. The Child of the Island Trait is the only way to get the genetic Sulani Mana trait without cheats. It's definitely the best trait for exploring Island Living because the Elementals will pass judgement depending on how involved in Island Activities a sim is.

The Child of the Ocean trait is better for merfolk and interacting with dolphins. And for the love of all that is holy to Poseidon, do not let a Child of the Ocean go inside the Hermit's hut in Granite Falls.