Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you save lots/builds to your computer?

How do you save lots/builds to your computer/locally? I know how to save to My Library and how to upload to the Gallery, but I want to know how to backup JUST a few lots/builds to my computer/locally; I reset my game once and even though I had saved things to My Library most of my lots/builds disappeared. I do not want to know how to backup an entire game file/save, just individual lots/builds.

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    "My library" is saving locally. That's how you do it.

You can find the files in the directory "\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Tray", assuming you are playing on Windows.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • AnnabellaroseAnnabellarose Posts: 30 Member
    Let me ask another way; Is there any way to backup just lot/build files onto my computer (besides My Library)? Which files are just lot/build files?
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I think it’s the folder called tray in the sims 4 folder that holds the information that is in your library ie lots and sims you save to your library
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    That's not all that easy. They are located in the Tray folder (as I indicated above) but they are mixed in with Sims, pets and households.

A single Lot/House consists of multiple files in this folder:
    • One .blueprint file
    • One .trayitem file
    • Several .bpi files, usually between 3-7 (more complex lots usually have more bpi files)

Where it gets tricky trying to backup ONLY the lots is that all of the pets and sims also have one .blueprint file. The other types for them are one .householdbinary file, one .sgi file and one .hhi file.

Personally, I just backup the entire tray folder. It's easier than trying to just pick out the specific things I want backed up. One thing you could do though is re-save all of the things you do want to keep to your Libarary, then just backup all the files with the new file date of when you did that.

Another way to do it would be to delete everything in your My Library except what you actually want to back up, using the trash can button when perusing your Library. If you do that, then the only files located in the Tray folder will be the ones you didn't delete. Seems like an extreme solution to me though. :lol:
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    How do you save lots/builds to your computer/locally? I know how to save to My Library and how to upload to the Gallery, but I want to know how to backup JUST a few lots/builds to my computer/locally; I reset my game once and even though I had saved things to My Library most of my lots/builds disappeared. I do not want to know how to backup an entire game file/save, just individual lots/builds.

I make copies of my Tray and make certain I give it a name Tray_1, etc. so that I don't arbitrarily remove it from my desktop. Or overwrite if with the next Tray file.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    You can use Sim 4 Tray Importer to save just specific houses. Save a lot (or even a sim or household) then open up Sims 4 Tray Importer, on the left it will show all your recent lots and households. Click the one you're interested in, and after the preview pic appears, choose the "FILES" tab above the pic. This will list all of the items in the tray folder for that specific lot (or sim). Then what I do is make a folder somewhere on my desktop and name it something descriptive so that I remember which lot it is. Then I copy those specific tray files into that folder. That way I always have that lot (or family) saved on my PC.

• AnnabellaroseAnnabellarose Posts: 30 Member
    You can use Sim 4 Tray Importer to save just specific houses. Save a lot (or even a sim or household) then open up Sims 4 Tray Importer, on the left it will show all your recent lots and households. Click the one you're interested in, and after the preview pic appears, choose the "FILES" tab above the pic. This will list all of the items in the tray folder for that specific lot (or sim). Then what I do is make a folder somewhere on my desktop and name it something descriptive so that I remember which lot it is. Then I copy those specific tray files into that folder. That way I always have that lot (or family) saved on my PC.

Is this a mod or something that is part of/in the game? If in game, where do I look for these options?

• ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited January 2022

Is this a mod or something that is part of/in the game? If in game, where do I look for these options?

It is an external program that has to be downloaded and installed. Took a bit of finding as it seems there are one or two dodgy sites also offering it.

Thankfully, I found this link to the proper download on the official Sims 4 Studio website:

https://luniversims.com/files/file/73-sims-4-tray-importer/
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison