Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The rabbit hole job.

As a veteran player, I tend to get bored with spawning to and from work. Thank the powers that be for the Get to Work expansion. Being able to actually go to work adds a touch of reality to my sim instead of the latter (spawning). Now there are different ways to work for ones keep. I tend to open a business and sell paintings for a living in a recent save. My question is "Do you prefer the rabbit hole job or the self employed job where you can make what you earn instead of what you are allowed to earn per promotional level?"

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    I prefer how it is right now, where we can have both. I play households, not individual Sims, and different sims in the household going to a rabbit hole gives me quality time with just the specific Sim(s) that aren't off in a rabbit hole.

I actually use a mod that adds even more rabbit hole activities so that I can freely send some sims off for other things besides just work, school and after-school activities. My favorite is the ability to send them off to "visit with friends" where their social and relationship bars improve offscreen while I get stuff done with whatever sim(s) I am actively controlling.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2022
    I like both types of jobs throughout the series, especially since Sims 2 Open For Business and now with Sims 4’s easier ways to make money and work from home options. :smile:

I love that we can sell crafts, and that we can Also work from home! 🤗👍 I’m pretty much having my sims do various jobs, and some do crafts, but I love that some hobbies give money, and that my sims can choose to stay home from work. Gives a lot more options that ways. 🙂👍

I like rabbit holes when I want to stay to take care of some sims and need a break from some. I had some large families where I felt some relief in getting some members out of the house so I can focus on other members, lol.

As for self-employed careers, I’m having some sims do the knitting and cross-stitching and gardening, and one or two are gardening, flower arranging, and doing Education career. I really love this! 🤗👍 Usually we get mostly just painting or writing, so it’s nice when we have other ways to make money in Sims 4. Sims 2 was pretty good, too, with retail home businesses.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    The rabbit hole jobs never bothered me all the way through sims 2 and 3 ... but in sims 4 they do. Have no idea why.
    If possible I get my sims working from home, painting or fishing or writing. A family of sims disappearing for the whole day is just too boring.
    I'd love if they revisited Get To Work and gave us more options, imagine an education career where you could be the teacher in a class?
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I don't mind rabbit hole jobs because they burn some time and keep the game from moving too slowly, especially since I usually give my sims the Never Weary trait so they can skill up or take care of a toddler during the deep night. If they need to be home for something during work hours, they can burn a vacation day if necessary. Since my sims stick to one career most of the time (exceptions exist for getting the Renaissance Sim aspiration or taking a side road into Tech Guru or Comedian or whatever for those aspiration rewards, but once they have a career they are built for, they tend to stick to it into many plus numbers past level 10), they have plenty of vacation days saved up.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited January 2022
    I never did like rabbit hole jobs, I like having a work place I can go to and play my sim at work. That’s one of the things I liked so much about Get to Work was the three careers you could take your sims to. I think most jobs should have the option to follow your sim to a work place, be able to complete jobs at home, or go to a rabbit hole. With get to work jobs I have had fairly full households and still followed my Get to Work sim to work. One was a household of 8, where one was a doctor and 2 had rabbit hole jobs. Another family, a family of 3, one had the Detective job and there was a teen and child in the household. My Scientist was in a family of 4 siblings, the other 3 had rabbit hole jobs.

I would love to see more jobs with actual work places. My actress does have a workplace too. And I do have a DJ that works at night at nightclubs.
  • K_PlaysK_Plays Posts: 102 Member
    Add me to the group of players who like a mix for all the reasons listed already. What I don't like is the non-rabbit hole jobs that don't seem to progress unless you go to work with the Sim. I've played through all of the careers a few times and sometimes I don't feel compelled to go to work with the Sim regularly, but I still want them in a particular job because it suits the story.

I think my favourite jobs are the work from home jobs, but I wish they had a few more tasks with them each day. The fashion influencer one, in particular, is a ridiculously easy way to get loads of money for minimal effort.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,381 Member
    edited January 2022
    I like all kinds of careers, the more (choices) the merrier. I also like that if I choose an active career from Get to Work I don't have to go to work with my Sim every day if I don't want to, I can still send him/her to work alone. For example when my Sim has gotten a family and maxed out his career I usually send him to work alone and concentrate on other Sims in the family.
    I don't care if a career is a rabbit hole, freelancer, an active career or self employed. I try to think of what suits my Sim the best or what are his possible interests and choose what's the best choice for him.
    Post edited by Kimmer on
  • SimsQueerSimsQueer Posts: 103 Member
    I like them all as well. It's fun to max out a rabbit hole career when you have 6 sims in a household but it's fun to collect things and sell them on a yard sale or make pastries in a shop when you have one or two sims or have someone do freelance gigs when you have 4 sims. and it's also fun to start with one sim while being involved in their detective career but have them just spawn away when they have 6 kids.
  • mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    I like both but for different reasons. Active careers are fun to play when I’m just playing a single sim but I prefer rabbithole careers when I have bigger families so I get a break from having to take care of so many sims.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I enjoy all the jobs. It's nice that with the rabbit hole jobs you can still do stuff at home to build up their promotions. I love going to the work locations though and I wish we had more to choose from. The medical one is my favourite but I like the others too. I also love the work from home options.

@Stormkeep which mod lets you send Sims to their friends house? That is amazing
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member

What would be awesome is if all jobs were made to be 'playable' if you chose to. Though that would definitely require a pack, since the programming would be a major amount of work. I'd love to play a musician or painter at their job.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Elliandre wrote: »
    I enjoy all the jobs. It's nice that with the rabbit hole jobs you can still do stuff at home to build up their promotions. I love going to the work locations though and I wish we had more to choose from. The medical one is my favourite but I like the others too. I also love the work from home options.

The mod that I use is LittleMsSam's "Social Activities (Visit friends, family, and more)".

I absolutely love it.
    Like you, I also really enjoy the active jobs, as well as just doing other active things which generate income, but with a large household it is just nice being able to send other sims off to do other things where they will fulfill needs and/or build skills or relationships without me needing to worry about what dumb thing they will decide to do. The mod is pretty awesome with all the options that it adds.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    @Stormkeep Oh my gosh this mod looks so fun I am going to try it. I love the idea of sending Sims to visit other Sims and sending pets to a pet sitter :smiley: Thank you for mentioning it.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I prefer a mixture. I think doing active careers all the time would get boring fast but they are nice now and then to switch up the game play. I also like that some careers have the choice of being done at a rabbit hole or at home. Freelance careers are nice, I like them but they don’t feel very rewarding to do and I rarely have my sims do them for this reason.

I really wish the active careers and freelance careers could see some improvements in the future. Some of the active careers function quite poor with bugs and glitches but I find them quite fun to do when they don’t glitch.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I like having the choice. Sometimes I want to follow a sim to work and sometimes, I just want to send them off without actually going. That also works better in multi-sim households. If I had to always follow them, it would really change the nature of the game. Sometimes it's about focusing on careers and sometimes, it isn't. I'd say I pick rabbit hole careers more than I pick playable ones because I don't necessarily want to follow everyone. Sure, when I do, it's fun. I like editing the co-workers to be interesting and have had some storylines come out of that.

An example is that I had a playable female cop, Felicia, who kind of dated her coworker, Ray, but didn't want it to get more serious. He was the "nice guy" who kept getting rejected as a second choice or striking out romantically. I decided that I wanted to follow Ray to see if he'd finally find someone. I made one of the criminals behind bars into a playable character and gave her a sister who was a "goody two shoes". The good sister fell for Ray and they had the stereotypical suburban family in a middle-class part of Willow Creek. It was kind of hilarious to follow the criminal sister on her life of crime and trouble-making as a counterpoint. Felicia married someone much "hotter" than Ray but I liked having all of these different types of characters. Now I'm playing with their kids and some other households but they made for an interesting rotation all based originally on coworkers in the police station.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Elliandre wrote: »

The mod that I use is LittleMsSam's "Social Activities (Visit friends, family, and more)".

I absolutely love it.
    Like you, I also really enjoy the active jobs, as well as just doing other active things which generate income, but with a large household it is just nice being able to send other sims off to do other things where they will fulfill needs and/or build skills or relationships without me needing to worry about what dumb thing they will decide to do. The mod is pretty awesome with all the options that it adds.

I love her mods, she's one of my favorite creators. When TS4 is done developing I'm going to go berserk with her stuff and mod the heck out of my game. 😄
    #Team Occult
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,547 Member
    I like both. I use a mod so that my Sim can be a singer Sim. This mod gives a choice, too. I can either have him do a 'live' concert in which I can watch, or an 'away' concert, which is a rabbit hole. This is very useful. In fact, when he was in Uni, it was far easier for me to just send him to the rabbit hole, as he can also do photoshoots and bit part in a major film via rabbit holes. They take less time than doing it live. So, he could earn money in the wee hours while keeping up with his schoolwork. It's very helpful, too, now that he's graduated, married and has a very young family. I can send him away and his wife can care for their infant twin daughters and their Toddler son. If I want to see Erik perform, I can always follow him to the venue (one the player is allowed to choose) or have the magazine professional photographers come to wherever he is for the photoshoot, and even film the scene where my Sim is located. Best of both worlds!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/