Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing on Unlimited

Does anyone else play on this setting? There is a warning popup when you switch, so I have some anxiety, although nothing has happened in my game yet. Is it harmful to the game? What do you think? Not worth the risk?

I play on rotation and I just like to favourite all the Sims so that they don't get culled before I can play them, because I've heard the Sims will disappear from the game after a while if you don't play them.

Comments

• Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    I used to play with the game set to unlimited...my game still defaults to that every time I start a new game, for some reason. MCCC lets you customize culling settings and also flag households specifically to not be culled for sure, so I stopped using the unlimited setting back when I started using that mod.

As far as if it is bad or not, really depends on your PC specs. The main reason for it is performance.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    I've played on unlimited for a while. I play rotationally too and have a lot of households. I haven't had any issues but as was posted above, it depend on your computer specs.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I do. We are getting to where we kind of have to with all the pack NPCs if you don't want to mass delete them. After I make my Sims, it is always over and I have to.

I was kind of nervous at first, but not after it becoming normal. Plus my hardware upgrade in January 2021 means I sweat it even less.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    I play on unlimited. The only thing it does is that you have no limit on how many sims can you keep safe from culling.
    To keep sims safe from culling, go to manage households and add households from the other household section to My Households section and they're safe.

Culling still happens on unlimited setting, but the game won't limit on how many sims can you keep safe from it.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I always play on unlimited. I don't like forced limitations for anything I've purchased. Let me, the player/consumer, be the one to determine what is too taxing for my system. If it starts to create lag or some other nonsense, then I know I need to change the setting.

So far, I have experienced no performance drops.
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    Unlimited mode? What's that?
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member

Thanks for replying! :smile: it sounds like I might be okay, because my laptop is pretty new, so I was really worried it might put a stress on my laptop or something but I haven't noticed any lag from it I don't think. Fingers crossed it will work out because I like having my lots filled with Sims and I don't want them culled. The worlds seemed so empty before. I actually was hoping since I filled all the lots that the game would not generate as many townies but that doesn't seem to be the case.

@SailorCeti From the household manager screen if you look at the bottom right there is a maximum Sim count setting for your favourited households. I'm not sure what the default is, mine was usually 200, but with all the premades I have gone past this limit so I switched it to the next higher which is unlimited. In the manager you can click on the heart and it will move the household to My Households where they will be safe from getting deleted by the game population culling.

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    My maximum sim count is 150 sims. I have 81 sims including the five sims in my one playable household. I have 31 households registered as played to prevent culling.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I play on unlimited with about 500 Sims, and my laptop hasn’t exploded yet. :)
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    i play on unlimited and have just shy of 600 sims (596) atm... should prob'ly go in and do another batch of manual culling and editing again, esp since have even more i want to add to my worlds at some point

a lot of my favorited sims are townies that i just like for various reasons, many have been around for rl years and gone through several edits, and things like restaurant staff have been thrown together into households for each restaurant.

with the numbers i've got, some of my non-favorited households do get culled pretty often but they're frequently the randomly generated things like bar regulars that don't even matter anyway. (i believe even when set to unlimited about 800 is still the technical max before mass culling happens)

will say that favoriting sims isn't always the best idea, as some seem to be designed to always spawn a new non-favorited version... the servo and college ghost from the university pack are good examples of this (i've got 5 servos and 2 college ghosts because of that. not counting the servos some of my sims have built themselves)
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I use it all the time and have never had problems with it. It probably helps that I don't mind deleting any sims I don't like (especially pre-mades), so I never get more sims populating my saves than my system can handle, anyway. :lol:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    kalaksed wrote: »
    i play on unlimited and have just shy of 600 sims (596) atm... should prob'ly go in and do another batch of manual culling and editing again, esp since have even more i want to add to my worlds at some point

a lot of my favorited sims are townies that i just like for various reasons, many have been around for rl years and gone through several edits, and things like restaurant staff have been thrown together into households for each restaurant.

with the numbers i've got, some of my non-favorited households do get culled pretty often but they're frequently the randomly generated things like bar regulars that don't even matter anyway. (i believe even when set to unlimited about 800 is still the technical max before mass culling happens)

will say that favoriting sims isn't always the best idea, as some seem to be designed to always spawn a new non-favorited version... the servo and college ghost from the university pack are good examples of this (i've got 5 servos and 2 college ghosts because of that. not counting the servos some of my sims have built themselves)

ohhh it's 800? That is good to know. I don't have half that yet, and I am always deleting random townies because I worry they take up space and might make the game run slower but maybe I should just leave them then. I usually leave the ones I recognize from lot jobs.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I play with unlimited and I have set MCCC to not cull any sims and my game is working fine in an almost three year save.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I use unlimited as well because I have well over 200 of my own Sims and I keep making more, lol. The game still generates random townies so every so often I go through and delete the ones I don't like and clean up the keepers a bit, give them a theme.

I think the max Sim count might depend on how many EPs you have, but I'm not sure. I think they boost the number with each one.

So far I haven't had any performance issues that I've noticed, but I kind of expect to at some point, especially if my Sims start reproducing after the romance pack comes out. :D
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    if you're interested, here's a thread about how culling and relationship decay work... it's pretty fascinating reading... at least i think so
    hasn't been updated in over a year, though, and when it was last updated 800 was the listed max. it very well may be higher now, since the person who read the files at every update stopped reporting in the thread

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/905991/culling-relationship-culling-amp-decay-current-status/p1
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member

Ever since I lost everything, I've been restarting building up households, then converting them to "unplayed" (For now anyways)

I noticed that since I'm only keeping 1 Sim so far on as "Played" all the time, even with "unlimited" on, It says 1 Sim of unlimited.

So 'unplayed' and NPC's etc don't count towards this.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    So 'unplayed' and NPC's etc don't count towards this.

That's because the limit is just a limit on how many sims you can protect from culling in the "My Households" section, not how many trigger culling. There's no settings available to actually alter the culling triggers (without mods). If you send them to "Other Households", they are simply not protected.

Unless you use mods that allow you to protect sims that are in Other Households or that disable culling, any sims in the "other households" category could get culled regardless of what you set the limit to. Though special sims and any sims in houses don't get culled either way unless you have a LOT of sims in the world, from what I've read.
    Post edited by Stormkeep on
  • Options
    LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    edited January 2022
    I don't know how anyone can have more than 80 played sims tbh. I only keep my household as played normally and that's only 8.

Edit: wait, culling? Oh no
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    LynnPlayz1 wrote: »
    I don't know how anyone can have more than 80 played sims tbh. I only keep my household as played normally and that's only 8.

I used the term "played" but what the categories are actually called is "My Households" and "Other Households". The flag that keeps track of played vs. unplayed is separate. You don't have to actually play a household to protect them, you just need to have them in the "My Households" section of the Manage Households interface.

That's my bad for incorrect terminology and confusing the issue. I've edited my post to make it less...unclear.

Culling is also not nearly as bad as it used to be. It used to trigger at a pretty low total sim count, somewhere around like 150 or something. It's way up there now, at like 800. I don't actually protect any households any longer except the ones I actually am playing (which is why I mucked up the terminology).
    And even so, I can't remember the last time I noticed a sim get culled...which means, if culling has happened, the game has done a great job of picking sims/households that I simply haven't had any meaningful contact with it.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member

I have more than 80 actual played sims :grin:

I play rotationaly and some households have a lot of sims. I have a couple of hosueholds that contain 35 sims. Yes, with autonomy on it can be absolute chaos!
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    edited January 2022
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I play on unlimited with about 500 Sims, and my laptop hasn’t exploded yet. :)

I play on unlimited too. I just recently went over 500. I have a lot of big families. I've been taking the time this morning to delete CC I don't plan to use and preparing for the next game pack. I need a whole new world. That's why I wish the game wouldn't generate new sims for services, we should be able to have playable nannies, landlords and maids who work as maids when you aren't playing them.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member

I play rotationaly and some households have a lot of sims. I have a couple of hosueholds that contain 35 sims. Yes, with autonomy on it can be absolute chaos!

Just the thought of that gives me a headache. :p I get stressed managing my one family of five. Six with the dog.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member

Just the thought of that gives me a headache. :p I get stressed managing my one family of five. Six with the dog.

Its actually not that bad if you have single purpose households such as a 'factory' type setup - churn out crafts.

I first did it when the game was released and I tried to create multiple households on the same lot using door lock mods to keep the households apart. Was really pleased when they became part of the game. Bit of a faff to setup, but good fun!
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    Yeah it's easy to play around 80 Sims haha, because it's only around 10 families. I like playing rotationally too. Sometimes I play a lot very quickly maybe only to do a few tasks and then switch or sometimes I spend a long time with them. I can't seem to stick with one family through generations. It's amazing to me how some players have Sim family lineages going back through years of playing. One day I will try it.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member

How can you even control a Sim, when they don't show up on the UI, though? This worries me. I want more than six kids in one household, but they don't have icons showing that I can access. What is your secret, please?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/