Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Could this be why people bump threads?

I mean, I am sure there are plenty of reasons why people post in old threads, but..

IaClBnu.png

On my front page just now, I saw a thread in The Sims 3 General Forum that was marked as having a recent reply...

This thread: Does TSR have viruses?

So I go into the thread from the front page thinking "Oh! A new thread/reply!"

Only to find that the first post is from 2009... and that the thread has already been bumped once.. in 2016, which is also the year that holds the last post.. and to top it off, the thread is even closed.. yet listed as new on the front page...

Of course, this doesn't excuse anyone from bumping old threads, as one should always check the date before posting... but the forum actively misleading its readers like this, probably doesn't help. :P
th1das9.png
Sub blogs: #01 Sunset Valley. #02: Lake Onebega #03: Sprottenham #04: Bewickton

Comments

• cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member
    I don’t know, but the necroposting has been bad lately. I think people do searches for whatever they want to know about and don’t look at the date before replying. The forum should close old topics to read only, IMHO.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    cyncie wrote: »
    I don’t know, but the necroposting has been bad lately. I think people do searches for whatever they want to know about and don’t look at the date before replying. The forum should close old topics to read only, IMHO.

If you're suggesting a mass lock down on the older threads that haven't been commented on in years, then it was done by SimGuruDrake back in 2016 when a new member was going around reviving older threads just to get their post count up. But when they commented in them, they weren't posting anything constructive as they were just posting random letters and numbers, so Drake locked all older threads from 2009-January 2015 providing that the last comments were made in that timeline. But when they got locked down, then the threads over in the Creative Corner also got locked as well. And when someone had wanted to update their thread that they were using to share their builds in, they couldn't and had to ask for it to be unlocked so that they wouldn't have to create a new thread to have their builds and creations in. So then all of the older threads that got locked was then reopened again. So I think that the way that the management team is doing it now is better than having them all locked from the start so that nercoing posting doesn't happen as the team can then determine if the thread warrants a locking or not... :)

EA_Lanna made a posting over in this thread that she created a few a couple of years ago.
    In regards to auto locking threads, I personally wouldn't be in favor of that as there are exceptions to necro'd threads, such as the ones' I've highlighted above with the example of technical threads or ongoing issues. These would get caught in the automatic locking.

In general, there is little reason to lock old threads as they run their course over time and tend to drop off naturally. The moderation team would only really step in to close threads when the situation requires it and we are happy to do so. It's best to flag necro'd threads to us if you feel they need locking.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16233205/#Comment_16233205
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member
    lisasc360 wrote: »

If you're suggesting a mass lock down on the older threads that haven't been commented on in years, then it was done by SimGuruDrake back in 2016 when a new member was going around reviving older threads just to get their post count up. But when they commented in them, they weren't posting anything constructive as they were just posting random letters and numbers, so Drake locked all older threads from 2009-January 2015 providing that the last comments were made in that timeline. But when they got locked down, then the threads over in the Creative Corner also got locked as well. And when someone had wanted to update their thread that they were using to share their builds in, they couldn't and had to ask for it to be unlocked so that they wouldn't have to create a new thread to have their builds and creations in. So then all of the older threads that got locked was then reopened again. So I think that the way that the management team is doing it now is better than having them all locked from the start so that nercoing posting doesn't happen as the team can then determine if the thread warrants a locking or not... :)

EA_Lanna made a posting over in this thread that she created a few a couple of years ago.
    In regards to auto locking threads, I personally wouldn't be in favor of that as there are exceptions to necro'd threads, such as the ones' I've highlighted above with the example of technical threads or ongoing issues. These would get caught in the automatic locking.

In general, there is little reason to lock old threads as they run their course over time and tend to drop off naturally. The moderation team would only really step in to close threads when the situation requires it and we are happy to do so. It's best to flag necro'd threads to us if you feel they need locking.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16233205/#Comment_16233205

Ah..ok. I didn’t think about the creative threads getting shut down as well.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    I don't think the one thread is evidence to accuse the forum moderators of actively misleading the members. Before your example I'd never seen a closed thread revived. The user shown as posting on January 10 at 3:01 pm hasn't visited the forum since 2010. It must have been a glitch or anomaly.
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,332 EA Community Manager
    I mean, I am sure there are plenty of reasons why people post in old threads, but..

IaClBnu.png

On my front page just now, I saw a thread in The Sims 3 General Forum that was marked as having a recent reply...

This thread: Does TSR have viruses?

So I go into the thread from the front page thinking "Oh! A new thread/reply!"

Only to find that the first post is from 2009... and that the thread has already been bumped once.. in 2016, which is also the year that holds the last post.. and to top it off, the thread is even closed.. yet listed as new on the front page...

Of course, this doesn't excuse anyone from bumping old threads, as one should always check the date before posting... but the forum actively misleading its readers like this, probably doesn't help. :P

That thread was necro'd, locked, and the comment was removed; which is why it was showing in recent discussions.

I wish it were that easy, auto closing a thread after a certain period of time would close many threads that are still active and it's not something I will do.

If we had a way to auto close threads that hadn't been posted in for a certain timeframe I would love it, but as of this moment we don't have an option like that available to us.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png