Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm losing my mind, I can't fix this lighting

zombii3zombii3 Posts: 388 Member
Okay, so I was building my kitchen... and i got to the last two cabinets and it's got some weird lighting going on..?
I deleted all my lights in the lower level and it didn't fix it, I tried deleting them and reputting them down, and nothing.
The brightness is bothering me on those two, but then also the darkness on the cabinets by the fridge? I'm losing it lol

Does anyone know how to possibly remedy this?
To4Lear.png

Edit #1: I made the walls medium height and it fixed the brightness on the left cabinets...but I do not want to play with medium wall height lol, it makes everything a little weird to me as far as spacing goes.

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    Overhead cabinets tend to cast funky shadows depending on where your lights are. You said it happens even if you remove the lights, so I would think that it's the natural lighting that's causing the shadowed areas and what you need is more actual lights (including turning them on), especially over the island.

Have you considered putting lights under the overhead cabinets to provide nice lighting to the countertops? There are some unobtrusive strip lights that you can nudge right up under a cabinet so you don't even see the fixture itself, but it sheds nice even light onto counter tops. Liberal use of bb.moveobjects and the alt key can get them nicely placed. And don't forget you can even shrink them down using [
    Post edited by Stormkeep on
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • zombii3zombii3 Posts: 388 Member
    Yes, so adding some lights in strategic places plus adding the under cabinet lights (thanks for that suggestion!) really helped. It's only slightly lighter than the other cabinets now but not HORRIBLE anymore. Thank you for the help!
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    If how bright those leftmost cabinets are is bothering you and it was happening even with no lights on the floor at all, I have to think there's either a window over there, or the room has no roof over at least part of it. Have you checked the roof is fully covering everything?
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    edited January 2022
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Have you checked the roof is fully covering everything?

YES! This^^^ Having a 'hole' in the ceiling can really mess up the lighting.

Also having two floors connected with an 'open' ladder or stairs. Having a door at either the top or bottom helps alot to fix the lighting. (Unless the two floors are supposed to be the same 'room' of course.

I have alot of experience with lighting in-game now. I practically never use the 'subtle saucers'. I almost hate those now, to be honest, haha!
    Placing the lights and the different types of lights is key. Also adjusting the brightness and tint/colour. Angle is important too.

Hint: Holding down "Alt" while placing the light, you can see how the shading changes as you move it around. For floor lights, desk/table lights, wall lights, and ceiling lights.

EDIT#1: Oh, also, while in "build mode", change the time of day to see how things change for lighting also. ;)
    EDIT#2: P.S. I do like the layout of your kitchen in your screenshot.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I think the lighting differences are caused by the way that EA handles shaders for cabinets. If you are okay with mods you may want to try this: https://one-plumbob.tumblr.com/post/655341947258585088/override-dream-home-decorator-cabinet-fixed .
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    haneul wrote: »
    I think the lighting differences are caused by the way that EA handles shaders for cabinets. If you are okay with mods you may want to try this: https://one-plumbob.tumblr.com/post/655341947258585088/override-dream-home-decorator-cabinet-fixed .

Interesting. I wonder what went wrong for the DHD cabinets?
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png