Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Forget the high chairs then......

Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,901 Member
My Sims Eliza and Matthias have twins (a boy named Elijah and a girl named Nevaeh who are currently toddlers) I try to get them on a schedule, feeding, naps, play time and skill building. But since it's Sims, it never goes right because Sims are stupid.

Example: The high chair. I try to feed Nevaeh and Elijah their food in the high chairs at the same time. But every time Matthias puts one of the toddlers in a high chair, Eliza appears and takes the toddler back out and places them on the floor before they even have a chance to eat, then I get notifications: "Neveah is hungry, feed her before she's taken away!" Well duh she's hungry because her mother won't let her eat.

So my solution, I'll just put the toddlers' food on the floor then they can eat on the floor all uncivilized with the dog and cat, because apparently, high chairs are too civilized for them. This game isn't going to outsmart me. XD

Comments

• ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Wise move :)

Toddlers will climb onto a normal dining chair and can reach a counter to grab food. I place one of those panda chairs for them to sit on while they eat or direct them to sofa to watch TV/listen to tunes while they eat
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,901 Member
    Hmm, never thought to do that. Thanks for the heads up.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    High Chairs are garbage in TS4....sadly.

There are mods that prevent that problem with kids being taken out by a different sim before you can get the food in front of them. What I found works just as well and doesn't require a mod is to have someone grab a serving of food and use live-drag to put it on the High chair BEFORE you put the toddler in. That way they can get straight to eating once seated and don't call out for someone else to take them out.

But honestly, at the end of the day it's all far too much hassle for me to bother and I do the same as what @ModerateOsprey said...I let them sit on something else to eat. My own preferences is the little toadstool-looking stools rather than the panda chair though. Just because I find them cute. Plus, doing it this way lets them be self sufficient because toddlers are perfectly capable of grabbing their own serving of food. And, as an added benefit, they don't mash their food and make a mess when not in a high chair.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • randy2355randy2355 Posts: 157 Member
    I used the highchair only a few times at first. I got so frustrated, then I discovered that toddlers will use living chairs and sofas, and get their own plates of food... I never looked back, never used the highchair again!
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,572 Member
    I must admit I still love using highchairs, but I wouldn't If I were playing Vanilla.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • shadyladynzshadyladynz Posts: 68 Member
    This is why I never play with toddlers or children :|
    0rqatopx73kc_zpsa779gqg6.jpg?t=1509333538
  • Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,901 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    High Chairs are garbage in TS4....sadly.

There are mods that prevent that problem with kids being taken out by a different sim before you can get the food in front of them. What I found works just as well and doesn't require a mod is to have someone grab a serving of food and use live-drag to put it on the High chair BEFORE you put the toddler in. That way they can get straight to eating once seated and don't call out for someone else to take them out.

But honestly, at the end of the day it's all far too much hassle for me to bother and I do the same as what @ModerateOsprey said...I let them sit on something else to eat. My own preferences is the little toadstool-looking stools rather than the panda chair though. Just because I find them cute. Plus, doing it this way lets them be self sufficient because toddlers are perfectly capable of grabbing their own serving of food. And, as an added benefit, they don't mash their food and make a mess when not in a high chair.

Something definitely is wrong with the high chairs in this game.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to let them get their own food off the counter and eat it elsewhere. Seems like less of a hassle like you said.
    randy2355 wrote: »
    I used the highchair only a few times at first. I got so frustrated, then I discovered that toddlers will use living chairs and sofas, and get their own plates of food... I never looked back, never used the highchair again!

Yeah, my Sims like eating in front of the tv, and then leaving their plates on the coffee table lol. So definitely going to start doing that.
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I must admit I still love using highchairs, but I wouldn't If I were playing Vanilla.

I liked using them too but they can be glitchy at times.
    This is why I never play with toddlers or children :|

LOL no advancing the Sims-species in your game huh? XD
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    I always have highchairs for my toddlers. But I never have my sims put them in the highchair first. I always click the highchair and chose the toddler and the meal. The sim then prepares the meal, goes to the toddler and puts him into the chair so they can start eating.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2022
    Yeah, the high chairs were kind of buggy when they were first released, and I don’t think they ever got fixed, but I am not entirely sure since I stopped using them immediately.

I just let toddler get their food servings, since they can sit down and eat on chairs/couches, or even on the floor, whenever there are food servings around. Sometimes I let my sim give a food serving to the toddler or feed the toddler using whatever from their inventory.
    Post edited by LatinaBunny on
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member

I gave up on highchairs a long time ago. I may have them in just for "looks".

You don't have to put food on the floor. Toddlers will grab food from a counter, or coffee-table, shelf, etc.
    They can also sit on any chair type thing as long as the chair is not attached to a table or desk. ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    Recently ranted about high chairs in the "things that annoy you" topic. But yeah, they are made of fail. I wish that if you clicked the fridge or the toddler and select "give food" it'd give you an option to easily hand them a bottle or something (you know, like in previous games) instead of graying it out and whining how "high chair required". I've had several occurrences when the toddler almost starved because the stupid sims kept autonomously taking the kid off the chair, then putting them back, then taking them off again. Seems like the best way to feed your sim kids is to just drag plates on the floor/counters (or fill their inventory with gazillion apples) so they can just feed themselves.

I still do buy the stupid things for my sims though since I'm not sure how the lack of them affects the autonomy of sims feeding the kids. Seem to recall though that when my homeless challenge toddler was visiting a residence which did not have a high chair and asked for food from an NPC they were like "Ok" but then just waved their hands around with the whole "no can do" thought bubble. So I assume they don't really understand to do any feeding without the chair. Therefore I keep them around in case I'm being an unobservant twit so they at least can do something by themselves.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited January 2022
    I'm just going to leave this here for anybody that isn't opposed to using mods and would like to continue using high chairs... https://www.patreon.com/posts/high-chair-lock-60030177

You can also just search Pandasama High Chair Lock if you are uncomfortable clicking links.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    I simply leave food out on the table. They come when called to meal and can take a plate and will usually eat it on a nearby sofa or armchair. I don't have time for the high chair and also don't like the limited food choices it has.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I play with autonomy off, so the high chairs work fine. However, as noted in another post, the little monsters throw their food on the floor, and you can't discipline them for it. (Even with autonomy off, the parent will come over to give her a talking to. But that's not the same as a parent being able to 'express disappointment' or, depending on my level of annoyance, 'yell at child' for throwing food on the floor.)

So, it depends on my mood and the level of challenge I want, plus whether or not I have room for a high chair in my build.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,096 Member
    Toddler hunger is the only need I cheat for them. I rather concentrate on building skills and potty training.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited January 2022
    LittleMsSam also has a great high-chair mod.

Hers works differently, by extending the time between putting a toddler in a high chair and removing them, and by temporarily removing several autonomous interactions that would make sims remove the toddler.
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    In my opinion, the toddlers in Sims 4 are the best we've ever had, but yeah... the high chairs are broken. It's disappointing, but not the end of the world. At least they can still eat somewhere else.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    The high chair's more trouble than it's worth, and I'm not patient enough to let my adult sims do their parenting, I'll just click on the fridge, use the Open option, then drag whatever's in there over to the kid so they can chow down.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,836 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    LittleMsSam also has a great high-chair mod.

Hers works differently, by extending the time between putting a toddler in a high chair and removing them, and by temporarily removing several autonomous interactions that would make sims remove the toddler.

Thanks for the link! About to have another little one in my household.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Yeah, I stopped using them a long time ago and allow them to eat where they wish to eat.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    My Sims Eliza and Matthias have twins (a boy named Elijah and a girl named Nevaeh who are currently toddlers) I try to get them on a schedule, feeding, naps, play time and skill building. But since it's Sims, it never goes right because Sims are stupid.

Example: The high chair. I try to feed Nevaeh and Elijah their food in the high chairs at the same time. But every time Matthias puts one of the toddlers in a high chair, Eliza appears and takes the toddler back out and places them on the floor before they even have a chance to eat, then I get notifications: "Neveah is hungry, feed her before she's taken away!" Well duh she's hungry because her mother won't let her eat.

So my solution, I'll just put the toddlers' food on the floor then they can eat on the floor all uncivilized with the dog and cat, because apparently, high chairs are too civilized for them. This game isn't going to outsmart me. XD

You don't have to put the food on the floor. Leave it on the kitchen counter or even on a table. The Toddlers have a miraculous ability to reach. Plus, it's been a bug from the beginning. We can only hope the devs will one day show some mercy and fix that highchair roulette game the adult Sims play with a hangry Toddler. LOL You can place some chairs for the kiddoes, too. I always have enough benches or chairs in the dining room for the wee ones. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Speaking of toddlers and their miraculous ability to reach, yesterday while playing I saw one of my child sims put down a little step stool to get something off of a counter. Is that something new or is it just something I've somehow missed noticing before?
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    You don't have to put the food on the floor. Leave it on the kitchen counter or even on a table. The Toddlers have a miraculous ability to reach.

I can confirm this. In a maximum wall height house, a toddler managed to grab food from a shelf (About 4 or 5 meters up?) that someone autonomously left on a shelf that was barely below the ceiling. :D

(This is why I love autonomy on most of the time, notice some interesting and amusing things that wouldn't otherwise) ;)

Stormkeep wrote: »
    Speaking of toddlers and their miraculous ability to reach, yesterday while playing I saw one of my child sims put down a little step stool to get something off of a counter. Is that something new or is it just something I've somehow missed noticing before?

Interesting, I've never seen that before. Maybe it is something new. I'll watch for it.

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    So true that in sims4 high chairs are horrible. I've had that a few times with sims 3 too, and my answer is in sims4, never use highchairs, just let them grab a ate from the counter and eat it on the couch.

In sims 3 its not as easy because all you can feed them from the floor is a bottle, which doesn't fill their hunger. So I cheat up their needs and move on.

Ugh, highchairs amiright?🤪
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    No high chairs in my game although I might put one back in now that I added a food mod with some new toddler snacks. Usually, I just put benches or ottomans in the kitchen for the toddlers to sit on and I drag plates of food to their inventory if they are in another part of the house. I always keep their inventory stocked with some fruits and veggies for hunger emergencies. I wish we could take sippy cups of milk and juice out of the fridge. The problem is when their hunger is low that's when everyone tries to feed them and then it gets crazy with everyone trying to take them out or put them in the highchair at the same time.