Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

There's no roads for cars

KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 441 Member
There are no roads leading to many of the lots in Sulani, some in Komerebi, Batuu, and the vacation worlds.

I feel like this is an intentional design to hint that cars would be decorative at best.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I think that some areas are intended to never have cars, especially if they're designed as a "getaway" location. Sulani, Batuu, the Magic Realm, even Forgotten Hollow, don't seem like the kind of places we should see cars. Although, I could definitely picture a horse-drawn Victorian hearse in Forgotten Hollow. <3
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Forgotten Hollow with its simple circular street is the best place for cars without loading screen. I'm dreaming of Vlad driving around in a 1922 Cadillac ...
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    There are no roads leading to many of the lots in Sulani, some in Komerebi, Batuu, and the vacation worlds.

I feel like this is an intentional design to hint that cars would be decorative at best.

I’m thinking the places that can’t be used for cars that the cars will end up in our inventory. …. I doubt cars will get much off of the lot before going into a loading screen. But sims 2 had cars too.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited January 2022
    Yeah I dunno, I really want cars, but these closed off streets and lots with no driveways are making me doubt if they will ever make them.

My guess is if they are planning to implement cars, they will probably be an item like a garage or a parking spot that you are placing on your lot with an animation of the car driving away.

• Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I'd be happy with a static image of whatever transport method a sim selected was displayed on the loading screen.

In terms of some neighbourhoods not being convenient for cars. Well, that's a thing in a few places round the world where there are initiatives to cut car use.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member

I think it makes sense that some lots don't have direct access to a road. Batuu is not meant for cars as it's a theme park. Sulani is mostly small islands it makes sense to be able to reach them by boat only, maybe they could also add water planes in the future. Komorebi and the vacation worlds have dirt roads that could be used for some light traffic. Maybe they could add proper cars and all terrain vehicles for off road driving in places with no proper roads, so you could move around on land the same way as a jet ski on water.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited January 2022
    Funny how your perspective changes depending on where you're from. As an European it feels completely natural that those places don't have room for cars. Many European cities now have started to ban car traffic from several streets making biking / pedestrian streets only.

(Interesting related video about the differences in European vs North American city planning)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORzNZUeUHAM
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member
    I guess I just don’t get the obsession with needing cars in the game. And this comes from someone who appreciates and owns some classic vehicles. The aesthetic of some worlds would be completely ruined by cars, which are pretty useless from a functional gameplay standpoint, anyway. I would be disappointed to suddenly see cars in Sulani, Forgotten Hollow, or HOB.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Roads?! Where we're going We don't need Roads!!!
    https://youtu.be/G3AfIvJBcGo

Sims 4: Back to Into The future!

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    I wouldn't mind the cars being used for lift driving. They could disappear after drop-offs.
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    cyncie wrote: »
    I guess I just don’t get the obsession with needing cars in the game. And this comes from someone who appreciates and owns some classic vehicles. The aesthetic of some worlds would be completely ruined by cars, which are pretty useless from a functional gameplay standpoint, anyway. I would be disappointed to suddenly see cars in Sulani, Forgotten Hollow, or HOB.

Um can I just say that as a Brit who happens to live in the countryside cars are absolutely essential to getting anywhere so they make complete sense in HOB - probably the most sense out of all the worlds tbf!
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    The driveway problem is easily solved: your sim climbs into their car and are trleported to the nearest road. It's not like they haven't skimped on animations before.

But as much as I want cars, I don't think we'll get them. However, most worlds have clear and unobstructed skies, so riding on dragons is always an option.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    GracieO312 wrote: »

Um can I just say that as a Brit who happens to live in the countryside cars are absolutely essential to getting anywhere so they make complete sense in HOB - probably the most sense out of all the worlds tbf!

Indeed. As another Brit in the countryside, it would make sense for the outskirts. The same can be said for the countryside outside Windenburg town.

That said, I also don't see the need for functional cars in the game. The 'NPC' cars that drive by is enough for me. I suggested above transport themed loading screens as a level of abstraction that would fit the bill, IMO.

I tend to see the structure of the game in terms of each neighbourhood acting like a theater set. Transitions between the different sets are sort of a 'Meanwhile...' while playing rotationaly or a cut to new scene when controlling a single household. I could, possibly, see a set where cars were a feature of the set as an object that could be interacted with, but as a functional mode of transport in the game - I'm not seeing it.

Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    That's always been my thought train on the whole "We want cars!" crowd. Maybe Willow Creek it'd be fine but half the other worlds aren't designed for cars. If the game was designed from the ground up with cars in mind then they'd be a totally viable thing but there's way too many worlds where there's no roads, or the roads that are there are far away from the lots and it would take ages to walk to them, which would make it take forever for sims to get anywhere in snow/blizzard weather conditions, and would be terrible for vampires whenever it's sunny.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Oh, I understand. I live in rural US and the stereotypical pickup truck really is a necessity. I’d 100% go for a Morris, Mini Cooper or even a Land Rover in HOB. I like British cars and toyed with the idea of getting a Morris Mini at one time. I just wouldn’t want random Caddies, stretch limos, or Porsches whizzing by to break up the ambience. Because, you know, if we have cars they won’t just be generic. We car folks want style and we’ll have the equivalent of automotive townies inappropriately running around.😀
  • Options

Oh, I understand. I live in rural US and the stereotypical pickup truck really is a necessity. I’d 100% go for a Morris, Mini Cooper or even a Land Rover in HOB. I just wouldn’t want random Caddy’s or Porsches whizzing by.

More likely to be Range Rover Sports, Audies, Beemers, and there are quite a few big pickups in the mix as well. O yeah, and Porsches. :grin:

British roads, when quiet, are serious fun :naughty:
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options

Oh, I understand. I live in rural US and the stereotypical pickup truck really is a necessity. I’d 100% go for a Morris, Mini Cooper or even a Land Rover in HOB. I just wouldn’t want random Caddy’s or Porsches whizzing by.

More likely to be Range Rover Sports, Audies, Beemers, and there are quite a few big pickups in the mix as well. O yeah, and Porsches. :grin:

British roads, when quiet, are serious fun :naughty:

Ooooh! Gotta watch out for Peter Rabbit, though. And evil chickens. 🤣
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Pretty much this. I thought about that as well with Henford on Bagley, even if it's meant to simulate an old countryside.

In some neighborhoods I can see how having cars on your lots might not fit into the environment because you are living in closed off areas. But in some other neighborhoods that are much more open it looks very odd to me that our sims can't own cars when you see them parked on the streets.

And I have seen plenty of gallery builds online where people are building houses and are forced to use debug items because they wanted to build a classic suburban house with a garage and a car parked outside.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    *double post
  • Options
    MadIrisMadIris Posts: 594 Member
    edited January 2022
    As a relatively late to the game player, was there a lot of people who didn't like/want cars in the Sims 2?
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    MadIris wrote: »
    As a relatively late to the game player, was there a lot of people who didn't like/want cars in the Sims 2?

Sims 2 had cars from the very beginning. Not ones you could own at first, but you had car pools pick you up for work right out of the base game, with nicer cars the farther you got promoted. So it was a logical extension of what was already in place to allow you to buy your own cars.

Literally all lots in the game had street access as well, it was literally a requirement to place a lot that there be a street there to butt it up against.

That said, beyond a sim getting in the car, they didn't serve any actual purpose because there was absolutely no neighborhood activities in the game. Your sims were confined to a single lot and the street right in front of it.
    Imagine if in TS4, when you visited the bar downtown, that the ONLY thing loaded when you got there was that specific 40 x 40 lot that held the bar. That's how TS2 was. The whole getting in the car was just an extra animation step before the loading screen transition between lots. (That and you could woohoo in them, etc. :lol:)
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    logion wrote: »

Pretty much this. I thought about that as well with Henford on Bagley, even if it's meant to simulate an old countryside.

In some neighborhoods I can see how having cars on your lots might not fit into the environment because you are living in closed off areas. But in some other neighborhoods that are much more open it looks very odd to me that our sims can't own cars when you see them parked on the streets.

And I have seen plenty of gallery builds online where people are building houses and are forced to use debug items because they wanted to build a classic suburban house with a garage and a car parked outside.

Actually cars don't need roads, just an even enough terrain that they can drive on. So, if a house is built in a remote area, it probably can be accessed even if there was no proper paved road. I would rather we get cars that can drive on any area, even on the big islands on Sulani, if we fancy moving around the island in a car. Town cars could get a chance to get stuck in sand if driven on beaches. 🤣
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited January 2022
    Most European towns/areas that are pedestrianised also have dedicated parking and other options nearby, whether that be a bike rental service, bus route, Park & Ride schemes, trams or subways.

You could also have off-road options like dirt bikes, dune buggies or 4x4s.

Bus stops and subway rabbitholes would be great things too, if we could get them.

All extra travel options are fine with me. They all have the ability to add gameplay (such as taking the bus for a moderate fee, or walking/cycling for free and arriving at your destination wet & cold from the rain, or hot and sweaty from the heat).
  • Options
    KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 441 Member
    Thanks for all the responses to my thread! I think decorative cars for driveways are cool. I like the truck that came with cottage living in debug. More of that is all I need.

I do miss the carpool for careers, and as you got promoted the car would change. I also liked working on cars in Sims 2 Free Play. And when there were actual brand-name models in the game that was fun too. Car related clutter would be delightful. Gas can, tire iron, tool boxes with wrenches, an air pump. Garage stuff basically.

I wasn't a big fan of Sims 3 open world. I don't need the cars to be animated.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Why do we need roads everywhere to use cars as if driving on a dirt path is not possible to get to a main road. I always thought the top half of Sulani should have had some type of port where you see ferries with cars are we just to believe our Sims poofed there, Komerebi pretty much has roads everywhere besides the top 3 lots which has the unusable train area to at least show that's how your Sims travelled there. With Batuu which I really don't care if it has roads or any type of travel but did they not add ships for that, why would you ride cars in Star Wars?
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"