Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Big is Your Mods Folder?

Hi, simmers!

I'm finally getting somewhere with upgrading my laptop, but because of my budget I'm sacrificing storage space for ram. So, I was checking to see how much space my Mods folder takes up (so far).

The grand total is 5.62 GBs. That seems like a lot to me; most of my games, like 90%, are under 100 MBs. :o However, I was speaking not to long ago with another simmer who has 380 GBs worth of mods!

So I was wondering how big y'all's folders are? Out of curiosity.

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    Mine is only 2.2 GB. 2 GB of that is regular CC and only 0.2 is actual mods. CC is what takes the most space, because it has all those art assets in it.

Art, animation and sound are the space hogs as far as as hard drive storage. Mods themselves which are just tuning or script mods won't take much space at all.

If you use a lot of CC and don't already do it, you may want to take some time to learn how to merge things. It saves space on the drive. I used to do this a LOT back in the TS2 era, when I also was more strapped for drive space (not to mention it made a huge difference in load times). I know it's still a thing you can do in TS4.
    The other nice thing about taking the time to make merged cc packages is that it encourages you to ask "do I really like this cc enough to take the time?" which helps mitigate that urge just to download anything and everything you think you like even if you may never use it.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Mine is only 2.2 GB. 2 GB of that is regular CC and only 0.2 is actual mods. CC is what takes the most space, because it has all those art assets in it.

Art, animation and sound are the space hogs as far as as hard drive storage. Mods themselves which are just tuning or script mods won't take much space at all.

If you use a lot of CC and don't already do it, you may want to take some time to learn how to merge things. It saves space on the drive. I used to do this a LOT back in the TS2 era, when I also was more strapped for drive space (not to mention it made a huge difference in load times). I know it's still a thing you can do in TS4.
    The other nice thing about taking the time to make merged cc packages is that it encourages you to ask "do I really like this cc enough to take the time?" which helps mitigate that urge just to download anything and everything you think you like even if you may never use it.

Snap :) Mine is bang on 2.2 GB as well.

Sims Studio CC browser is a god send. You can view/edit/delete all your CC visually. Occasionally I will go through and vape what I thought was good, but turns out that it isn't quite right for me.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    I probably have close to 50GB of CC, and about 500+ mods but mods don't take up much space.

But, I rarely play with that much CC so it's not typically in my Mods folder.

On average I probably keep maybe 15GB-20GB maximum in my mods folder when playing. But lately I've been just keeping a few skin overlays, default eye replacements, and eyelashes and just using game CAS items.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Just checked, and I'm currently at about 20.3GB total.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    472 MB

Majority of that is Mods. I use minimal CC, mostly just a few hairs, a couple skin overlays, default eyes, eyelashes and body hair.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Mine is empty, but I like the MCCC and UI extension mods I just took them out for now. I'm curious to know what is your favourite mods or CC in your folder?
  • befchibefchi Posts: 23 Member
    Mine is like 293MB but my pc has quite low storage anyway so I can never download too much :(
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    @Elliandre - Favorite Mod is the first one that I got which turned me to the dark side. It keeps townies from bugging my Sims to chat. Nobody chats with them unless I initiate it. Second would be UI Cheats Extension. Favorite CC is body hair and second is eyelashes. :)
  • LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    Elliandre wrote: »
    Mine is empty, but I like the MCCC and UI extension mods I just took them out for now. I'm curious to know what is your favourite mods or CC in your folder?

I'm all over the place. 😅

MCCC is a must have for me now. Besides that my favorite mods are Grannies Cookbook by Littlbowbub, the Couple Dance mod by MercuryFoam, and the Education System Bundle Mod by KawaiiStacie.

I also really like First Impressions by Lumpinou, Get to Church by PimpMySims4, Marlynsims's PTSD trait, and Midnitetech's careers.

As for CAS CC, I'm not super attached to anything, but I love CloudCat's Vivid Daydream Eyes V2, NolanSims's Body Scars and Face Scars, SimMandy's Goblin Ears and Tonian Elf Ears, and a bunch of supernatural stuff by Pyxis.

My favorite BB creators are MadameRia, Myshunosun, and RVSN.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Not a big list:

MCCC
    UI Cheats
    Sims Info
    LMS Auto Stereo System
    LMS No celeb outfit copying
    Triplis Walk Your Way

Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    In my current setup it's 470MB of which about 300MB are overrides of which in turn most are upscaled food and plants. All other are mods (McCmd, Bienchen, LittleMsSam, MissyHissy) and some functional objects (Zulf, PandaSama and RVSN mainly).
  • TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    11.2 GB and counting - no mods currently, just regular CC.
  • QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    My mods folder was like 5gb before christmas season. Then I went craycray and literally downloaded everything christmas related and my mods folder is now over 10gb 😂
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Just checked. And it is 1.79GB. Right now though, I do not have my decades cc in the folder.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I keep about 7GB of CC on the side, including about five or so mostly small mods (except for MCC). I haven't been using any of it in a long time and since the new hair colors got added all of the CC hairs will need to be updated and I'm not in a rush to do that, lol. I had been going through my stash a couple of years ago to dwindle it down and now I feel like I need to go through it again because I've gotten so many new CAS items in packs and patches. Once in a while I get the urge to throw some back into my game and I'll use a mod or two for a short time until a patch comes and I have to take them out again but for the most part I just play vanilla these days.

One day, when TS4 ends development, I'll put my favorite mods in and the CC that I need and live happily ever after. :)
    #Team Occult
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited January 2022
    A humongous 382 Mb. I have very little CC and about 30 gameplay mods/tweaks/fixes.
    Aside from some masculine content I don't really have a desire to download CC for this game for I'm quite pleased with the vanilla looks of TS4 sims. In fact, my priorities have completely flipped from previous games in which I instead downloaded lots of CC but hardly any gameplay mods.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Currently I have around 6 GB and the game stills runs great. I'm trying, unsuccessfully, to limit my cc, which is the biggest culprit. Daily trips to MTS and TSR do not help, lol. I love all my cc and mods and couldn't possibly play without them. I have to give kudos to those who play a vanilla game, I was forced to a couple of years ago and there is no way I would abandon my mods/cc. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    edited January 2022
    I have two mods folders, one of which has only a few gameplay mods (MCCC, UI cheats, Meaningful stories) (4.73gb) and another which has some others (4.76gb) . I recently deleted all of my cc on impulse, and am now going to try to only download stuff I'll actually use. :D
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    356 MB. Most of my mods are CC, custom RoM spells and other occult mods.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    67 MB.

UI Cheats and a few smaller mods.
    CC is mostly decorative clutter. Toddler outfits and female tennis shoes.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,821 Member
    1.34GB i started w the body sliders for height and figure. Then i shopped alot on the sims catalog because the hair and clothing are limited in base game. After i started experiencing glitches (broken mods) and a bug in the game (the hiking to the top of Mt.Komorebi trail bug) i discovered mods have to be individually updated. For some one w/o mods its a headscratcher at first. Now I need to learn to use the sims mod manager tool, which i dont at this point, (apparently you have to load/unload mods) didnt try loading the mods yet and they work fine. Bottom line is I dont have script mods, i have a few traits mods but other than that id rather wait for legit sims updates.
    Elliandre wrote: »

I read a little bit about MCCC and i didnt give it a try yet, i know lotta folks use it... seems interesting now lol

Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker

I have learned so much about mods and CC from this topic it's so great haha. I really want Christmas CC since I am still having Christmas and New Years parties in my game.

@Karababy52 There is a mod that stops townies from talking to your Sim? :open_mouth: That sounds like a great one. I will look for it.

@LynnPlayz1 Oh my gosh that Grannies Cookbook looks amazing I am already downloading it! :love: I will look for the others they sound great. Normally I am scared of mods but wow so many cute new recipes in that mod I will risk my whole game for Thai Mango Sticky Rice and Taro Bubble Tea. I saw a Tarot Bubble Tea in a Sims video and I was looking everywhere for it, maybe she had this mod :heart:

@rongtudjuuu I like the MCCC mod because you can easily click on Sims and make them friends or delete their relationships. There are many things it can do but that is the main one I know. And also you can click on pregnant Sims and see how many babies and if they are male or female which is fun for nursery decorating.
  • ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    edited January 2022
    Mine is 55 GBs and gets bigger every day.
    He/Him
  • LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    @Elliandre I love the way the food looks; the cakes and pancakes are especially cute. I do find it a bit tedious to go and download each individual recipe though.

I know of a similar mod that pairs well with Grannies Cookbook, Oni's Recipe Pack custom food mod. I have not tried it yet because I got confused by Patreon and wasn't sure where the correct download was.

But it, along with Grannies Cookbook iirc and several other functional objects, is showcased in OshinSim's video on YouTube entitled "15 Functional Items For Better Gameplay (Sims 4)".
    LynnPlayz1 wrote: »
    @Elliandre I love the way the food looks; the cakes and pancakes are especially cute. I do find it a bit tedious to go and download each individual recipe though.

I know of a similar mod that pairs well with Grannies Cookbook, Oni's Recipe Pack custom food mod. I have not tried it yet because I got confused by Patreon and wasn't sure where the correct download was.

But it, along with Grannies Cookbook iirc and several other functional objects, is showcased in OshinSim's video on YouTube entitled "15 Functional Items For Better Gameplay (Sims 4)".

I will download that one too, thank you! :smile: The little grocery bag on the counter is so cute.