Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Premade Rotation: What should I do?

As some of you may know, I've been rotating through the premade households. I've really enjoyed this new (for me) way of playing. But I have reached a point where I can't make a decision.

I feel like rotating through every household in all of the worlds is a really slow process but I want to see my original plan through. I've only made it to San Myshuno, playing in order of the way the worlds appear in the world selection screen.

I also want to lessen the amount of households I play so the rotation will move a bit quicker. By doing this, I can focus on the households I'm most interested in playing and (hopefully) have a less chance of getting bored. But with not being too familiar with premades, I feel like I would miss out on some really fun households.

I can't decide. Help me fellow simmers. What should I do?
Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel

Premade Rotation: What should I do? 41 votes

Continue playing as you originally planned
17%
BoergeAarg61goodcakebaker62MindofyLlandros2012BlueR0seKimmerKhazthe 7 votes
Continue playing as you originally planned, then decide which households to cut
39%
Kita5399ncisGibbs02simgirl1010sims_premadegreydonnHarukotyanLatinaBunnyRedDestiny92EnkiSchmidtmusteniEricasFreePlaySeashoreLiviaMintyMangoDaepheneSimmingalGuenxol 16 votes
Choose a few worlds or households and continue
24%
Mariefoxprice83DoloresGreyImSandsAtreya33TTNsimmerSERVERFRAIsharellElisetommightyspriteHavenRose 10 votes
Choose one world and rotate between those households
9%
cchant86Yautjagirltexxx78Phobostime 4 votes
Other
9%
elanorbretonModerateOspreyFlapElliandre 4 votes

Comments

• BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,594 Member
    Continue playing as you originally planned
    i picked the first one, but honestly feel free to cut some. Not all premades are made equal and there are some I deleted cause I just didnt want to bother.

On my main playsave I rotate households both custom and premades. Since I love big families this became a problem once we got the sim limit and honestly some premades are just sitting in the other households section like in a immortality limbo waiting to be eventually selected.

It's fun though. A lot of households surprised me how much I liked them (the Heckings, George Cahill, etc). As someone who doesn't really build and doesn't really go searching for specific kind of houses/lots, its interesting to play in a lot of the variety of premade households. The celebrity house lots are really cool design wise and give a lot of character to the household they come with. How else would you find out that the Bailey-Moons must either voluntarily just go to the bathroom whenever or wherever they please or like go on their lawn or something. (Sarcasm/joke)
  • HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 322 Member
    I’d pick a few of the ones you’re most interested in each of the remaining worlds and play through. If at the end of the shortened rotation you’re still interested in some of the ones you skipped, you can go back. If you do decide to go back and play the skipped ones, at least you’ll have mixed up the worlds a bit so you’d be less likely to get burned out.

It might also be more complicated to track the aging, but you could also consider shortening the time spent with each family through the end of this rotation. Just enough to get a taste of whether you would enjoy playing them again on future rotations.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,848 Member
    edited January 2022
    It's a game. Do it in a way that is fun for you. No one will grade you down for skipping some households :)

As @HavenRose suggested, you could always try just a sim-day or two in each household and then see who you think you'll have the most fun playing.

• SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    These are some good suggestions. I did cut it down to the base game worlds and Windenburg but then I felt like I needed to give the others a chance. I may play a day or two in each household and cut the ones that bore me. I was playing one week each, which is why it made things go really slowly.

I was off to a great start. Bob and Eliza got divorced and are living separately. Geoffrey Landgraab was having an affair with the butler, while Nancy was having an affair with J Huntington. Don accepted a proposal from Katrina, but on the same night, he got Dina pregnant.

As for aging, I have it for only active households so I'm not too worried about that.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,942 Member
    I do aim to play most of the households in no particular order myself but yes couple useful ideas:

1. Deathful incidents are lovely way to include sims without actually playing them for long times

2. You can always include sims from household A to the story of household B without playing the families separately

3. not all sims have to "exist" simultaneously its okay to leave some of them to different time periods in your save

4. what time is it? up to the watcher we can roll forwards backwards to the side...

5. sims stories looks and houses can always be changed to something more fun
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Other

Welcome to the world of premades! I play the premades on rotation too along with a small number of Sims I created and some I found on the gallery. I have too many in my game now. I have to play on unlimited because there are so many great ones in the Maxis gallery that I added to my game. It's a lot of fun especially once you get to know all the premade households and what traits, hobbies and careers they have. It really does feel like the Sims around town become familiar. I don't really play by any rules anymore and usually just choose based on the pack I want to play or the career or hobby the Sim has. Some of my Sims get more play then others, but I have played them all by now and try to make sure there is a Sim with every career in the game and every hobby. Some of my Sims are doctors, police, writers, some knit as a hobby, some are farmers/gardeners, some are families with toddlers, so I pick based on the activity I want to do in the game or based on the location I want to go or if I want to play with families ie. toddlers, kids if I want to play as a Vampire I rotate through the vampire households, etc. If I want to go to Batuu then I have some Sims I always send there, and I have my Jungle explorers etc. I have my University students I like to play etc. If I can't decide I usually just pick something I haven't done in a while.

Maybe you should pick one household per world and play for a short time, then switch to another world and household? You will cycle through the worlds quicker then if you try to play all the households in one world first before switching worlds.
    @Simmingal wrote: »
    I do aim to play most of the households in no particular order myself but yes couple useful ideas:

1. Deathful incidents are lovely way to include sims without actually playing them for long times

2. You can always include sims from household A to the story of household B without playing the families separately

3. not all sims have to "exist" simultaneously its okay to leave some of them to different time periods in your save

4. what time is it? up to the watcher we can roll forwards backwards to the side...

5. sims stories looks and houses can always be changed to something more fun

Can you elaborate a bit more on #4? As for #5, I'm not playing in the default houses. I moved all of the premades to my non-populated save. As I rotate between the households, I redecorate their houses to fit the household.

@Elliandre wrote: »
    Maybe you should pick one household per world and play for a short time, then switch to another world and household? You will cycle through the worlds quicker then if you try to play all the households in one world first before switching worlds.

That's a really good idea. I may do that. I started playing all households in each world so I wouldn't get confused of what households I've played. Also, so I wouldn't go directly to the more interesting households, and get bored with the less interesting ones.

Thank you both for the suggestions.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited January 2022
    Other
    I have found the most satisfying way to play rotationaly is use the Ask To Join Household liberally and I am all about the emergent gameplay/story. That takes priority.

Play each sim as an individual, not a group defined by the household in the context of the game mechanic. The Household is simply the current residence that the played sim may or may not own.

I have just shy of 200 played sims in my game including the pre-mades. Most of my game generated townies have had their outfits (and sometimes traits) edited and customised in some way to get rid of the silliest ones. I also never use fast speed except when the entire played household is asleep or at work/school.

I do have a handful of my own sims that I deem my primary characters alongside the pre-mades.

I have also set the following max sims allowed on lot and max sims in household at 35 using MCCC.

I toggle autonomy/aging on/off depending on context. - Devs, please, please put these options on the main UI

I pick one sim and start playing. When I get to a situation where I think I would like to control the current sims I am interacting with to evolve an interesting situation - Ask to Join the Household. Move that sim in and away I go. I keep playing that story thread, joining and removing sims from the current household as the story, whims, etc dictate.

As an example, I will start with the Candy Behr on a weekday morn, say about 10.00am to put in a wrinkle. Load up household, I don't even look at Yuki's needs, off to school she goes.

I may then set Candy doing practice. Shortly, thereafter, Dominic knocks on the door. I may get Candy to ask to join Dominic's household and travel to his place in the countryside with them both. Now, I can play Candy and parts of the Fyres household at the same time send Morgan to school if needed and so on.

Later in the day, I could get Morgan to ask Candy to join the household and during that remove Candy from the Fyres, add Morgan and all travel to Candy's place back in town giving me a chance to control the interactions between Morgan and Yuki after school. Yuki could then have a sleepover where i can control and set some desired objectives for Morgan.

Following day, Morgan travels back home says hello to her mum asks to join the household and she is back and then I can follow a story thread from the Fyres POV.

The main thing the game demands is that you leave one sim at an owned property so the Behr's house is always the Behr's house. In the scenario above I could have got Yuki and Morgan to invite Sofia over as well and Dominic and Candy go off and join the Bergsen household. Now you can play all the adults hanging out on the island or the three teens in town.

Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    If you are getting bored, I think it is best to select those families you want to play. You could do one rotation of all to get to know them if you want and then select or just choose now. It also depends on how many worlds (DLC) you have to go through. Whatever you decide, it should be giving you fun, not boredom.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    I play as I intend and then decide whose going after a couple of weeks play.

I cut households that aren’t:
    • Making a major contribution to the current story arc in place.
    • Don’t fit the current theme I.e. 1970s vibe.
    • Are interfering too much with the current story arc and disrupting it.

Different saves are always varied as some premades flourish in one save but end up in the pool in another 😢 😂.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I think it's a lovely idea to play premades in a rotation, something I might want to do one day. How long do you play each household? Day? Week? If it's longer than a day you could shorten the time. I suggest you go through all the households first following your original plan and then cut them. That way you can get a feel of them all, but then progress to play the ones that interest you most.
  • sims_premadesims_premade Posts: 789 Member
    After playing rotationally for year now, I would cut out families you aren't interested in. For my gameplay I can cut families out by having their family line end, so they have no heirs, either by having the children marry into other families or have them limited to no or only one child to keep the numbers down
    hqEK2sI.png

I'm so glad I made this thread. You all have given me some really good ideas. I forgot to mention in my original post, this is the first rotation.

@musteni, to answer your question, I was playing a week in each household. Except for households that I split, they would have half a week. For example, the Pancakes divorced and Eliza moved out. She now lives in the same neighborhood as the Goths. I played half the week with her and the other half with Bob.

As it stands now, I think I may continue playing the way I intended, and cut the households that I don't like. I may also shorten the days of rotation to half a week for each household. Thanks everyone for the advice. I knew you'd all come through for me. Please feel free to continue offering ideas and suggestions.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    Other
    You seem to have pretty much decided what I was going to suggest lol.

I used to be really strict with my rotations, not so much anymore. If I get fed up of a household after 2 days I'm happy to move onto someone else. But mostly I end up playing each for half a week.

I think it's nice to play through all the different worlds as it adds variety but I tend to stick to my favourite sims.
    @elanorbreton, thanks for chiming in anyway. If you have any ideas, don't hesitate to share them. I love hearing about how people handle premades.