Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Favorite Way To Play....

What's your favorite way to play the Rags to Riches challenge? I'm having trouble figuring out how I want to start it.
sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg

Comments

• ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Naked on an empty lot with no skills, no memory and no money.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited January 2022
    I've only done it once, but I will do rags to riches again. I didn't have the guts to start with an empty lot! :D My sim only had a few outfits - I put the same tshirt, etc in each clothing slot - although since I have Seasons I did give her a winter coat. Yeah, I'm a chicken. I built a nice 2 bedroom, 2 bath plus den house but didn't furnish it. Instead I set up the garage as an apartment. It was very minimal, one counter, 1 sink, stove, fire alarm, couch, bunkbed, small table and 1 chair, 3 piece bathroom and for fun I gave her the tiniest TV and a little bookshelf. these sat on a kid's dresser. Then I turned her loose.

I was glad I'd started with this shell, and as she got more furniture (she is a kleptomaniac) I put it in the house. I sold most of the things she lifted, and I guess I cheated by putting money vaults in several other houses for her to rob. I think you have to have Get Famous in order to have the vault. Otherwise she lifted a lot of statues and got very rich. What furniture she didn't steal she made while skilling up her handiness skill.

She is now living in another house and is happily learning to be a magic user.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    An empty lot either in San Myshuno (Spice Market) or Windenburg (the island) is my way to go. But there are also many nice trashy lots in the gallery, so maybe next time I'll start at a grungy bus station.

I often pretend my sims work jobs that nobody else wants, like street cleaner (may take and sell City Living posters and snow globes) or toilet attendee (usually in parks, may dig for treasure and sell them, may also sleep in the park, must clean and repair the plumbing).

I go by my gut feeling what jobs or foraging options a appropriate for the type of sim I have in mind, rarely bother with writing down rules. When things go too well in the beginning I restrict selling from inventory or charge money for traveling.
  • JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    Rags to Riches is the most fun for me when my sim has to struggle at the beginning just to survive (sleeping on benches, washing in sinks, praying those wild lemons he ate don't come back to haunt him, etc) and it takes him a long while just to reach the state of living comfortably. He starts out with nothing (hadn't considered taking away his clothing too, hmm) and an empty lot which they end up paying for later since they truly can't be land owners yet. Typically they run around digging up collectables to sell for cash, but I frequently take away money for things that don't make sense. I can't see someone buying fish that's been carried around for hours or days, and a 2000 Simolean DJ booth that's been dragged out of the water wouldn't be worth even 2 S's. Lately I've been making them hold onto the stuff they collect till the flea market at San Myshuno comes around and they have to use a table there to sell as much of it as they can before the market closes. So far they've been able to sell enough to buy their own table and continue selling their stuff. But now I'm considering if they could really lug that table around with them, and perhaps I should put a limit on how much they carry in their inventory. Hmm.

They can't get a job till they have some sort of residence, and being so recently homeless I can't imagine they qualifying for anything other than the part time low pay jobs. Often they've pieced together a sort of shed from a platform and roof parts that cost nothing and after paying me for the land plot the rest of their funds can go towards a bed and pee bush and other need fulfilling items, I think it's more fun if they end up sharing a sketchy unfurnished (as in "bulldozed", no bathroom or kitchen or even lights) apartment with rats and roaches while hoping their job pays them enough to cover the bills and buy some furniture.

They manage to furnish out their living place to where they can satisfy all their needs there, progress onto better paying jobs and/or find more lucrative money making scheme. Along the way they've gained reward points that's been used to buy reward traits that slow or even stop various need decays and improve how they gain skills and other benefits. Here it's pretty certain they'll eventually reach the "riches" goalpost I set earlier and I decide if I'm interested in them enough to continue playing them.

Sorry for the lengthy response but Rags to Riches is definitely my favorite way to play The Sims. Having recently bought Island Living and Outdoor Escape I've been thinking of playing a beach bum ad trying to reach a goal of "riches" with never owning a permanent home.
    The cake is a lie
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    My favorite way to start is with Pinstar's Legacy Challenge. In fact, that's the only Challenge I have ever played in the Sims. :) The empty lot, single Sim can be fun. I just made sure he was focused on finding a lady to make his life complete and to gather Simoleons as soon as possible so he could build his abode. It should be noted I played this Challenge long before we got Seasons. Playing it now would be problematic with the weather. LOL But I would recommend you sort out your goals, priorities, first and then have at it!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    JustMeAlb wrote: »
    Rags to Riches is the most fun for me when my sim has to struggle at the beginning just to survive (sleeping on benches, washing in sinks, praying those wild lemons he ate don't come back to haunt him, etc) and it takes him a long while just to reach the state of living comfortably. He starts out with nothing (hadn't considered taking away his clothing too, hmm) and an empty lot which they end up paying for later since they truly can't be land owners yet. Typically they run around digging up collectables to sell for cash, but I frequently take away money for things that don't make sense. I can't see someone buying fish that's been carried around for hours or days, and a 2000 Simolean DJ booth that's been dragged out of the water wouldn't be worth even 2 S's. Lately I've been making them hold onto the stuff they collect till the flea market at San Myshuno comes around and they have to use a table there to sell as much of it as they can before the market closes. So far they've been able to sell enough to buy their own table and continue selling their stuff. But now I'm considering if they could really lug that table around with them, and perhaps I should put a limit on how much they carry in their inventory. Hmm.

They can't get a job till they have some sort of residence, and being so recently homeless I can't imagine they qualifying for anything other than the part time low pay jobs. Often they've pieced together a sort of shed from a platform and roof parts that cost nothing and after paying me for the land plot the rest of their funds can go towards a bed and pee bush and other need fulfilling items, I think it's more fun if they end up sharing a sketchy unfurnished (as in "bulldozed", no bathroom or kitchen or even lights) apartment with rats and roaches while hoping their job pays them enough to cover the bills and buy some furniture.

They manage to furnish out their living place to where they can satisfy all their needs there, progress onto better paying jobs and/or find more lucrative money making scheme. Along the way they've gained reward points that's been used to buy reward traits that slow or even stop various need decays and improve how they gain skills and other benefits. Here it's pretty certain they'll eventually reach the "riches" goalpost I set earlier and I decide if I'm interested in them enough to continue playing them.

Sorry for the lengthy response but Rags to Riches is definitely my favorite way to play The Sims. Having recently bought Island Living and Outdoor Escape I've been thinking of playing a beach bum ad trying to reach a goal of "riches" with never owning a permanent home.

Naked definitely makes it interesting. Last time i did it, I did make sure there was a working general goods shop in the game that sells some basic fruit and veg, some simple clothes, the odd book etc.

I have just dropped some brass on Eco-Living and am setting up a rags to riches in that. I have got as far as abandoning a teenage 'green fiend' into an empty lot in the industrial zone with nothing. I went for a teen so they have to earn the special traits such as responsibility, good manners, etc. I have also decided to go with the genius trait (gotta make em a bit special) meaning they will have to partner up with a maker and/or freegan sim to get a set of complementary traits together.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • benphoenix19benphoenix19 Posts: 92 Member
    When I do it these are some things that I like to do.

-Have the sims only have one outfit (use that outfit for each of the outfit categories)
    If you want to have new clothes ($50 for a shirt/pants, $60 for shoes, $100 for a dress, $150 jewelry etc etc etc)
    -Start with $0 and start in winter.
  • JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    When I do it these are some things that I like to do.

-Have the sims only have one outfit (use that outfit for each of the outfit categories)
    If you want to have new clothes ($50 for a shirt/pants, $60 for shoes, $100 for a dress, $150 jewelry etc etc etc)
    -Start with $0 and start in winter.

I like the limited wardrobe, charging for new clothes, and will probably use that in my next RtR play. So far been too chicken to throw them into it during winter. :D
    The cake is a lie
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited January 2022
    I like starting on an empty lot and then I dig for treasure capsules, harvest wild plants to sell and grow, fish and collect gemstones. I can usually earn enough to buy a tent before I need to sleep and then I upgrade my camping facilities to include the flower bush that's also an outdoor toilet, an outdoor tarp shower, the cooler for some granola and drinks, a camping chair, firepit .. then I build up my campsite into a tiny house. I've never become rich though. Takes me a million years and I play rotationally. I like to visit friends and wait for them to go to work. When they go to work and you are in their house alone, you can hang out and do what you want even if you don't have the always welcome trait.