Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you Tired of Kits?

Comments

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Neutral about Kits
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Interesting that you bring this up because I actually feel the opposite. We have need seen a stuff pack in a year and did not get a November expansion. It is hard to say the kits are not interfering with development. If it is not interfering, I have to ask what are they doing? LOL A whole lot of nothing from where I sit. There are still a ton of bugs, no November pack, no stuff pack.... Coquito and that other dish could not have taken that much resource to do.

Well we know they're working on an EP.

During the recent Maxis Extra Life Livestream SimGuruJessica introduced herself as Senior Game Designer and Lead Designer on an upcoming The Sims 4 Expansion Pack.

I think they're working on additional content as well. Base game updates, more pack refreshes, neighborhood stories, scenarios, NPC updates, etc.

The point I was making is that I feel development has slowed due to kits despite their claim to it not being the case. The Expansion they are working on is technically overdue based on the way they have been releasing content. We have not seen a stuff pack in a year.

We've been having a lot of free content patches plus the upgrade.

How is it that so many people don't consider free gameplay and patched in content actual content? It's the product of consumer brainwashing to think that something is only worth getting if you have to pay for it.
    #Team Occult
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Other (explain please)
    LiELF wrote: »
    Interesting that you bring this up because I actually feel the opposite. We have need seen a stuff pack in a year and did not get a November expansion. It is hard to say the kits are not interfering with development. If it is not interfering, I have to ask what are they doing? LOL A whole lot of nothing from where I sit. There are still a ton of bugs, no November pack, no stuff pack.... Coquito and that other dish could not have taken that much resource to do.

During the recent Maxis Extra Life Livestream SimGuruJessica introduced herself as Senior Game Designer and Lead Designer on an upcoming The Sims 4 Expansion Pack.

I think they're working on additional content as well. Base game updates, more pack refreshes, neighborhood stories, scenarios, NPC updates, etc.

The point I was making is that I feel development has slowed due to kits despite their claim to it not being the case. The Expansion they are working on is technically overdue based on the way they have been releasing content. We have not seen a stuff pack in a year.

How is it that so many people don't consider free gameplay and patched in content actual content? It's the product of consumer brainwashing to think that something is only worth getting if you have to pay for it.

We've had some free content, and it's been nice and I'm glad to have it.

However. We also had nice free content during previous years when more new packs were released. So it's not like we can't have both.

Given a choice between (a) a little bit of good free content or (b) a little bit of good free content AND the option to buy new packs, well, it's a no-brainer... I'm going to choose (b) every time.

• keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Sick and Tired of Kits
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »

We've had some free content, and it's been nice and I'm glad to have it.

However. We also had nice free content during previous years when more new packs were released. So it's not like we can't have both.

Given a choice between (a) a little bit of good free content or (b) a little bit of good free content AND the option to buy new packs, well, it's a no-brainer... I'm going to choose (b) every time.

Exactly
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    Sick and Tired of Kits
    Don't care about the kits one bit for the trinity of "content/quality/price" is pretty sad to me. The only thing which could get me to buy one is if it was some nice slice of gameplay that is relevant to me. But nah, after releasing this one gameplay kit (which happened to be a theme I don't care about) they have then only been vomiting out cas/bb packs which are completely irrelevant to me. Can just go download CC instead.
    So yes, sick of them. I would have a less negative opinion if they actually bothered to mix these kits up with some gameplay focused ones but, of course, bb/cas items require the least amount of effort to make so... yeah.
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,587 Member
    Neutral about Kits
    Neutral. I don't get the ones I don't want and honestly I don't think not having them would increase GP/EP turnout. They'd jjst go back to pumping out stuff packs. I imagine they shifted some of the development team to work on Sims 5 and along with COVID that's why we've seen a reduction in production.

I like that kits allow for niche things, particularly for CAS/BB items and you can just not get it if you don't like it. I'm mostly interested in the CAS ones myself.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited January 2022
    Sick and Tired of Kits
    I didn't even bother buying the last two kits. They do nothing for the game beyond appearances and ever since they were introduced everything else that actually could improve the game seems to have slowed down to barely nothing.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Neutral about Kits
    As a Vanilla player, some of the Kits do come in handy. I enjoy the beautiful Oasis Courtyard, Fashion Street & Blooming Room. However, there's just way too many Kits in one year & an extreme lack of Packs. I know there's a possible ability to make the Packs in these crazy times because they did it in 2020. So, please more Packs & less Kits. Thank you.
  • ArarineArarine Posts: 250 Member
    edited January 2022
    Other (explain please)
    Their clothes kit, some clothes is cute but most of it is ugly.
    Gameplay kit is interesting but need fix - hope for improvement.
    Building kit. It is hit or miss for me.
    Wish more Recipe/harvestable/woodwork/craftableWish live in businessWish more interactive between sims and activityWish a lot of refresh and Better resize pleaseWish for another colour upgrade swatchWish for pool sliderFix the bug please
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Other (explain please)

I had to pick other. I am not sick of them. How can I be? No one is forcing me to buy them. I bought some of them because there was something in them that I wanted. I thought they were going to add an online store which I was worried about, but I think the kits are the online shop now. They priced the kits reasonably to me, only $6, compared to the Sims Freeplay store I've seen little item collections for $20 and up. While I don't love all the kits, because they are very niche and I want different types of kits for myself, I do really love the fitness and country kitchen deco ones, I use them all the time.

• halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    edited January 2022
    Sick and Tired of Kits
    I've said it before, I've never liked kits because I believe they are a soft opening for microtransactions that might/will come with TS5. Even if I wasn't for my usual stance, I'd be sick of them. We've gotten nothing but CaS and B/B packs that appeal to a very niche crowd within a niche crowd, with no gameplay to speak of. Well, the one kit we got gameplay with is broken to poop and back right now so I guess that kinda counts?

Even then, if we had more gameplay kits, I'd probably not be interested anyway, since I don't like the concept of kits to begin with.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • diavolosimsdiavolosims Posts: 37 Member
    edited January 2022
    Love the Kits
    I love the kits. They don't add much to the game but they're not a required component either, so I don't get why people are upset about this. I mean, it's not like it's a Cats & Dogs situation with that stuff pack. They could be introducing microtransaction, yes, but like I said, they're not imperative for you to play the game. It's not a pay-to-game after all, not even a game where you win something. It could just be there. Though, I can't say I'm neutral about it, since it's shown that I love them, haha~ :lol:

I think people just don't appreciate something that wouldn't have bothered them unless they're brought up. I mainly like the CAS kits given to us since I'm not much of a builder. Though, to a builder's and completionist's perspective, I do understand why they don't fancy small-packaged releases like the kits. Though it's not like they have to buy them for any reason. :sweat_smile:
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Neutral about Kits
    I haven't been excited about anything about the Sims 4 for a while, but I am pretty stagnant in my opinions about kits. I have them all, but I just grab what I like.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    edited January 2022
    Other (explain please)
    I don't get why people are upset about this.

Because some think the introduction of kits is responsible for a slowdown in the production of packs.

Some think the kits are too expensive for the content included.

Some think kits are a precursor to the introduction of microtransactions in the next Sims iteration.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Neutral about Kits

Because some think the introduction of kits is responsible for a slowdown in the production of packs.

Yeah, I think it is more likely the free updates. I understand that it is easy (and usually makes sense) to vilify EA, but the kits are totally how they have the income to appease investors with free updates rolling out.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Sick and Tired of Kits
    Calico45 wrote: »

Yeah, I think it is more likely the free updates. I understand that it is easy (and usually makes sense) to vilify EA, but the kits are totally how they have the income to appease investors with free updates rolling out.

I actually expected the free updates to be much bigger considering how little content we got after Cottage Living.
    Neighborhood Stories, after all the hype, was barely anything. They could have more of it finished before releasing it. And they're still working on remaking the Premades after announcing it months (a year?) ago, albeit only cosmetic changes so far.
    I also feel like prioritizing updates like Scenarios, which have had mixed reactions from players, was a bad idea. They could have used those updates for something the community really wanted.

It just feels like there was this massive slowdown this year with no payoff. No babies, cars, attractions system, etc. They hyped up these updates and they're still unfinished. And that's why it feels like Kits are taking away from development time of better things.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited January 2022
    Love the Kits
    No one knows except EA and it's workers. But I personally believe people have a misconception about kits taking over other packs when I don't believe that's true. Most importantly, They are working through a pandemic going on it's third year? Apparently getting worse according to officials. They are still working from home. In addition to that let's not forget they are working on base game updates that players requested for years (like story progression, tan npcs, pronouns etc) and possible refreshes. Not for themselves but for simmers. They didn't have a twitter revolution for huge packs people begged for bella and friends to look unwhite. So technically they are just listening to players.
    You guys really expect all of that AND tons of big packs? Lol. Of course bigger packs would slow down. So they either fill the black void by having artists work on kits (which no one has to buy btw) or with tons of emptiness while they work on other things. Kits are hurting no one.
    Simmers have been crying about how horrible base game is for years. They've really been adding to base game nicely.

One of my disappointment with kits is that I was hoping for more litte functional items to come in kits. Like a blender, a lawn mower, a broom and stuff like that.
    Even if it's just one functional item per pack.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited January 2022
    Love the Kits
    I like kits. I don’t use mods or CC, so kits have always been a way to get extra build stuff, furniture or clothing options, I loved stuff packs even more because they often came with clothing, build, and hairstyles along with a game play object and furniture, but people complained about them so now we are relegated to mostly kits, as stuff packs have dwindled to practically nothing. I would love nothing more than for them to bring back almost monthly stuff packs like they had for awhile. I can understand people who get custom content not wanting kits, but for some of us that don’t use CC ( and people on systems ), kits are more valuable. I don’t mind paying for extra content from Maxis.

I think kits are replacing stuff packs which is sad because I was one that liked stuff packs so much, and thought they were a good deal for 10 bucks. I don’t think kits are replacing game packs or expansions, I just thinks kits are so easy to make that they can toss them out much faster. I figure they were slowing down on game packs and expansions for one of two reasons. Either it’s because the pandemic has caused a slow down, or they are diverting people resources to an upcoming Sims 5 game…..but I sure wish they would bring back stuff packs, they always had a new play object in them.

The main problem I have with the game these days is that bugs are beginning to show up very frequently now in my vanilla game.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Neutral about Kits
    Neutral. Haven't felt the need to buy a kit with the CC content I can find on the internet, so I can't really give an honest opinion about something I haven't used for myself.
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    Sick and Tired of Kits
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Everybody's been saying kits don't interfere with development, but there's been no EP this winter, yet somehow EA tricked their fanbase into shelling out $40 anyway.

You're looking at it backwards, if whatever EP they are working on had some development issues which needed to be worked out, that doesn't take the staff that make CAS and BB items, only the ones that work on code. i.e. those other people had time to work on stuff for kits.
    The development teams consist of a lot of different skill sets, and the ones who handle gameplay and code are not the same people as the ones that design clothes, furniture and wallpaper (etc.).

I also imagine the development of TS5 is likely to effect content for TS4 as well. Different stages of the new game development process require more or less of the varying skill sets as well, so at any given point I can see specific types of content for TS4 being impacted if they have to shuffle people around to meet project goal deadlines on TS5.

If they have so many people working on CAS and BB assets instead of gameplay, they've got their priorities wrong. Fact is, they're paying people to make these items, while they could be paying people to code and animate instead. So yeah, no matter how you look at it, CAS and BB kits are getting in the way of gameplay, because those are resources being spent.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,410 Member
    Sick and Tired of Kits
    I was neutral about them until the end of summer. But the last few months when kits replaced every other type of DLC was an overload. I am not against kits themselves but the balance between kits and other content is off.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Neutral about Kits
    I'm not tired of kits themselves, but I'm a bit jaded with mostly kits-that-I-don't-want and little or nothing else of potential interest on offer.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Neutral about Kits
    I don't see how kits existing is problematic. I've seen people speculate that kits are the reason we got only one EP, GP and SP last year, which if that's true I can't say I'm terribly bothered, I've been wanting a slow down of major pack releases anyways. There's too much existing content that's broken, more packs means more broken content.
  • HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    Sick and Tired of Kits

Some think the kits are too expensive for the content included.

Some think kits are a precursor to the introduction of microtransactions in the next Sims iteration.

You are right. I'm all of three about. So, yes, I hate kits with passion.

1) I do not care what they are stating about kits not interfering with other stuff. They saying way too many things which remains empty promises and PR statements in the end. So far actual facts tells me otherwise.

2) A couple of kits are a price of a Stuff Pack, but unlike the stuff pack they bring no gameplay with them - pure skins for clothing and objects. Especially considering how good recent SPs were. When they first announce kits and release BTD I had a hope that they'll have regular gameplay ones like some of the stuff which was released in TS3 store. But they just spit CAS/BB with crazy speed and lots of PR scandals surrounding. Especially the infamous industrial kit.

3) New Sims leading manager described a very specific vision she has for the game and she was involved with pretty specific projects to assume she won't try and bring cash shop practices in Sims franchise. Considering how profitable this model is in many mobile and MMO games it's very tempting for many. Especially in games so heavily using cosmetics and decor as Sims.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Other (explain please)

@Babykittyjade Yes!! I would love a blender, lawn mower and a sweeping broom as part of any kit or pack! :love:
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    Sick and Tired of Kits
    I've never really been a fan of kits. I don't own any, and I don't plan to own any. If they did more gameplay kits, maybe I would reconsider. As it stands now, I'd rather have other packs.

All that being said, I know many people enjoy kits, so it's not really fair to say they need to stop making them. I just wish they would sort of slow down on them a bit.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel