Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wabbit Tablet on fire!

StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
I have a chair in front of a fireplace that was 1 tile away from it. Everything was perfectly fine for many many sim days and the chair was used for reading, knitting, needlepoint and napping....no problem. Once the household had a toddler though, the first time she decided to sit in the chair and use the wabbit tablet, the tablet caught on fire almost immediately.

I bought I new tablet and moved the chair a bit farther from the fireplace. A few days latter, when I wasn't looking, she sat in the chair and used the tablet again...and again it caught on fire.

I have moved the chair just a little bit farther back every time, and so far have gone through 5 wabbit tablets. It is blowing my mind that nothing else is causing an issue but that 🐸🐸🐸🐸 tablet! Is it just an item that is prone to overheating or something?

Here's a screenshot showing how far back the chair currently is...minus a burning toddler and tablet. If anyone could tell me how to stop the fires I'd certainly be appreciative.
b73f8efa8f466469dbea33d9d38aff9732340fc6.jpg
This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
The Winters family Tree --- My Mods

Comments

• mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,872 Member
    It does look a bit close. I would keep everything 2 tiles away from the fireplace. You can install a fireguard upgrade on the fireplace if someone has sufficient handiness. About the tablet itself, I'm not sure, as I have never given a toddler one of those things.

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    It does look a bit close. I would keep everything 2 tiles away from the fireplace. You can install a fireguard upgrade on the fireplace if someone has sufficient handiness. About the tablet itself, I'm not sure, as I have never given a toddler one of those things.

I actually have the fireplaces on the lot (there's one upstairs too) upgraded with fireguard. Literally nothing else starts on fire, just that tablet. It's so weird.
    I've been moving the chair back just a tiny bit each time, because 2 full tiles puts it in the walkway into the TV area that's just to the upper left in the image. Walls are down in the image, but you can see the green bit of wall right next-to-and-behind the chair and how it's already a bit into the walkway. At this point, if I have to go farther back, either the chair....or the fireplace...will just get demolished because there's no room to remodel the tv room and walkway into it, sadly.

I think one more time and what I'll do is remove the chair until the toddler grows up. :/
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited January 2022
    Stormkeep wrote: »

I actually have the fireplaces on the lot (there's one upstairs too) upgraded with fireguard. Literally nothing else starts on fire, just that tablet. It's so weird.
    I've been moving the chair back just a tiny bit each time, because 2 full tiles puts it in the walkway into the TV area that's just to the upper left in the image. Walls are down in the image, but you can see the green bit of wall right next-to-and-behind the chair and how it's already a bit into the walkway. At this point, if I have to go farther back, either the chair....or the fireplace...will just get demolished because there's no room to remodel the tv room and walkway into it, sadly.

I think one more time and what I'll do is remove the chair until the toddler grows up. :/
    Why don’t you jut knock out a block of wall? Or, add a one piece open walkway ( in doors ) between where the chair is currently and the fireplace.

• ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Can it be the toddler is just trying to put the tablet down on the floor and it's going in the fire somehow? Or maybe your toddler is throwing the tablet in the fireplace on purpose lol. You should angle the chair so that it is not facing the fireplace directly and see if that solves it. My toddlers sometimes like to just throw their tablets onto the ground when they are done playing. They don't always put it back in their inventory.

Elliandre wrote: »
    Can it be the toddler is just trying to put the tablet down on the floor and it's going in the fire somehow? Or maybe your toddler is throwing the tablet in the fireplace on purpose lol. You should angle the chair so that it is not facing the fireplace directly and see if that solves it. My toddlers sometimes like to just throw their tablets onto the ground when they are done playing. They don't always put it back in their inventory.

That could be it, I've seen her just throw it on the ground other places.

I have yet to actually SEE the fire start to know if she's doing that there. It's been in her hand, on fire, every time that I've gotten the fire alert, but it's possible the fire starts before the game finishes moving it to the floor.

That could be it, I've seen her just throw it on the ground other places.

I have yet to actually SEE the fire start to know if she's doing that there. It's been in her hand, on fire, every time that I've gotten the fire alert, but it's possible the fire starts before the game finishes moving it to the floor.

I wonder if the toddlers are immune to fire in the game because I've never actually seen a toddler catch on fire. If it was an adult holding a flaming tablet wouldn't they catch on fire too?
    edited January 2022

I wonder if the toddlers are immune to fire in the game because I've never actually seen a toddler catch on fire. If it was an adult holding a flaming tablet wouldn't they catch on fire too?

I have no idea, I have never had an adult sim holding something that caught on fire. :lol: I do know that both babies and toddlers cannot die from fire though, so perhaps that means they cannot catch on fire either.

I have no idea, I have never had an adult sim holding something that caught on fire. :lol: I do know that both babies and toddlers cannot die from fire though, so perhaps that means they cannot catch on fire either.

So I wonder what happens if the house catches fire and burns down, but there's a baby inside, is it just gonna be everything and everyone in the house burned to ash and a lone baby surviving in the cradle amidst the wreckage :open_mouth:

I won't test it to find out though haha.
    @Elliandre , it seems you were right that the fire is starting when she throws the tablet down in front of the chair. I had one more fire since my last post, and this time I did not get over there until the tablet was completely destroyed. It was a pile of ashes between the chair and fireplace.

I moved the chair back just a teeny weeny bit more making it about 1.2 tiles away (1 full large tile and about a half of the small quarter tiles) and took the advice from above to turn the chair away from the fire a little more. No fires since....at least not yet.

Thanks for people who offered help here. I use fireplaces often and I was sure that chair was not "too close". 1 full tile is always enough distance, at least with the fireguard upgrade, in every household I've played for years.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    I blame the tablet battery myself. What a crazy thing going on in your game! I do know you can upgrade the fireplace so that it, itself won't burst into flame. Have had a few of those kinds of fires, myself. But, wow, to have the tablet explode in flame is downright scary stuff. I really don't know of what to advise you, though. Keep the kid away from the tablet? Away from the fire altogether? Too bad there's no way to upgrade the chair and/or tablet.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    Too bad there's no way to upgrade the chair and/or tablet.

I'd settle for a way to set a specific chair to be "off limits" to toddlers. That would have been a nice addition in Parenthood. I remember irl we had furniture in the house I wasn't allowed to sit on when I was a toddler/child....I got my 🐸🐸🐸🐸 whooped if I got caught on it. :lol:

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    Too bad there's no way to upgrade the chair and/or tablet.

I'd settle for a way to set a specific chair to be "off limits" to toddlers. That would have been a nice addition in Parenthood. I remember irl we had furniture in the house I wasn't allowed to sit on when I was a toddler/child....I got my 🎁🎁🎁🎁 whooped if I got caught on it. :lol:

My grandparents had those plastic slip-covers over all of their livingroom furniture. Ooh, I just thought of something. Do you have Get Famous? If you do go into buy/build mode, to build. Click on the fence and you'll see the first slot is that yellow and black tape. Place that around the chair. No Sim can cross it. I use it at the foot of the stairs in my Sims' house when they're having a party and don't want guest upstairs. Works like a charm.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/