Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS5 : Realistic or cartoony graphic style?

BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
edited March 2022 in Off Topic Chat
Okay so multiple questions. But a big one first : Do you wish for a realistic or cartoonish style in TS5?

We see a lot of people pushing for more realism on social media. There's also tons of cc and mods that add realism to the game. Do you think that's what we can expect to see in TS5, more realism? So far Maxis has given us a way more comical style, and I think that's great too. In a way, the community can balance things out with cc textures and whatnot. So there's a balance. But do you think we can still expect to have this balance in an online game?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

TS5 : Realistic or cartoony graphic style? 103 votes

As realistic as possible.
21%
AyradyssSusanaLeoteheiblumesimgirl1010mike1286alanmichael1airotciv54RamblineRosewecantpickanameChadSims2sof2106pandie00king_of_simcity7BreazonaEricasFreePlaylogionElliandreThunderbolt_4983Hauk150Lulu29 22 votes
Mostly realistic but with some humorish styling.
28%
CK213Alexaig01denswanGothangelCinebarTacoChaosFreygeaskybird14GemSixxdoogeriemariajane216OnverserSimplyBreaAstroScobreRedShoe7MMXfilipomelMortimerGothDuskregn 29 votes
Mostly cartoony but with some realism.
45%
Isb917AnmirlaSerraNolwenfriendlysimmersluthienrisingbarracuda1574bestfrienemies14taydevMizzila1297TeeSeaTrowiciaAriissLeccapammiechickannaliese39jazzunicornsLatinaBunnyEnkiSchmidtOldeseadoggeBlueOvale 47 votes
I want to play a superhero who fights super villians.
4%
PlayerSinger2010LiELFSheepilingBrandontaylorSERVERFRA 5 votes

Comments

• alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    Time for change.
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    More realism could mean less gameplay, more lag, more overheating, more expensive computers, less players.
    And I think there's a shortage of gpus at the moment.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I prefer a somewhat realistic look over cartoony, but I don't mind if it's stylized a bit. I don't want either virtually real or super cartoony. I like superheros and villains, though. Is there a new rule where one thing must exclude the others? :lol:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I don't care for Sims 5. I only like my Sims 3 & 4.
    SERVERFRA wrote: »

Then why sabotage my poll if you're not even included here?
  • Lulu29Lulu29 Posts: 171 Member
    Definitely realistic. Mostly I play with alpha CC so I'd like to see the graphics veer towards the end of realism. I can't say that I'm overly fond of the current style, particularly when it comes to choosing hair for my Sims.
  • Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    I would like it with those realistic graphics that modern games has. But it would be okay too if they are more cartoonish, as long as they look good and not so fake
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    I want to play a supervillain who fights superheroes! Realoony style.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,548 Member
    edited December 2021
    BlueOvale wrote: »
    SERVERFRA wrote: »

Then why sabotage my poll if you're not even included here?

Well I’m going to further sabotage this poll by not voting because the options provided don’t reflect my opinion. Then, I’m going to give it, anyway. I’m okay with a little less cartoonish-ness but would also hate hyper realism. I enjoy the off beat humor and some of the fun aspects of the game’s traditional quirkiness wouldn’t translate well to a overly realistic style. Plus, I’m a bit sensitive to that whole uncanny valley thing. I hate the Polar Express movie for that reason. So, a mostly stylized look would work best for me.

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I think with how Sims 4 has focused on graphics over gameplay the team will make it more realistic for a change. They seem to jump back and forth between the two styles and with them playing Apex a lot I can see that be the inspiration for the next game given SimCity on PC is dead. I could see them go the Facebook art style again too for the next game if they go any more cartoon and low graphics.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Too much realism and you fall face-first into the uncanny valley. Not enough and it doesn't look like a Sims game. Just enough cartoony styling to keep it from being "off" is the Goldilocks spot.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    The Sims, regardless of version, has always been cartoony. This is a game, after all, not an alternate life. If the art style gets too realistic the line between reality and game will begin to blur. Players already get attached to their sims. What will happen if said sims look increasingly like real people? This is not to gainsay good, high-quality graphics, but there needs to be a clear distinction.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Keep it real!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Cartoony, for the love of all things good in the world. Imagine the deaths with realistic graphics? 🤢 No thank you!
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited January 2022
    I would like more detail, like skin details, eyelashes, more detailed hair etc.

More details will allow us to create the sims that we want, Maxis could use methods like motion capture to make better interactions that look more realistic.

It would improve family gameplay as well with more details and features that carry over between generations and allow us to really play with life.

When it comes to representation, it's also pretty difficult to make someone represented if your graphics are cartoony because you can very easily fall into making stereotypes.

I don't think things like death etc. would be that much different with more realistic graphics either. And it would still allow us to have fun with our sims as well. I don't think Maxis should move away from the fun and silly part of the sims just because we are making our sims more realistic.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Games trying to be hyper realistic usually just looks tacky, and gets dated very quickly in my opinion. That being said I would like to see more realism than we have in 4 though; skin texture, eyelashes, eyebrows with hair, body hair, skin details, no more green blob grass, etc
    I don't want the game to become nothing but a pretty picture. We've seen how limited the sim artificial intelligence is, and I think there will still be the option to play multiple sims with autonomy on. They say we can make up any scenario, but that's far from the truth. I want them to focus on gameplay first, so if that means less intensive resources just for pretty graphics, I say go for it.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Give me more realism I want hair that does not look like clay and real eye lashes not a black line, feet that don't look like that horrid mess we have with Sims 4. I'd much rather see a more realistic detailed look for future Sims and worlds with more natural colors
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    I prefer the cartoonish--but not *too* cartoonish--style of TS4 and would like something along those lines for future games. For me, though, it's just a matter of taste, and doesn't have much to do with what I get out of a Sims game.
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited January 2022
    Given the whole nature of the series, realism has a good chance to hit the uncanny valley effect. E.g. alpha CC in TS4 looks off-putting to me for it doesn't mesh with the overall design of the world and especially not the cartoonish animations of the sims, ironically making them look more "unrealistic" in the process. The series has always been like this too, like having sims fight in a cheesy cartoon cloud. Now imagine them doing that with hyper realistic graphics.
    I think stylished graphics are more interesting and "easy" for a game like this. Stylished/cartoony style also has a way more timeless feel whereas realistic graphics tend to get outdated fairly quickly.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member
    I like fun and weird things to happen in my game that are a lot more enjoyable with cartoonish people than with realistic looking people.

As a wise person once said, an animated Homer Simpson is funny and charming, a live-action Homer Simpson would be disgusting.

gen3-banner.png
  • diavolosimsdiavolosims Posts: 37 Member
    Cartoony with a bit of realism. Realism in general could lead to uncanny valley, and graphics with such style wouldn't hold up as much. Also, speaking of which, not a lot of players would be able to play the game assuming it requires higher specs to run it alone. Not everyone has a NASA-like computer, or the will to degrade their PC's lifespan just for one game.
  • skybird14skybird14 Posts: 90 Member
    I tend to play with a mix of alpha and maxis match content so that it is enough to bring a little bit more realism but not too much so that it loses that sims feel and I think it's something I would like to see continue into Sims 5.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 784 Member
    I wouldn't mind if it was done in the style of SFM. I've seen some really GOOD FNAF SFM videos on Youtube,and the style is like a mix of Sims 2 and Sims 4.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I think sims walks the line between cartoony and realistic very nicely. It’s just cartoonish enough to not be creepy or uncanny, but realistic enough that I can invest in their lives. The graphics for like Paralives for example are too fake and flat. They at least so far, look like colored in line drawings or paper dolls and and can’t imagine buying into them enough to care about what happens to them at all. Where as the characters in games like Life Is Strange are so realistic it’s kind of creepy and therefore for me at least, off putting. So my hope is that if there’s going to be a Sims 5, it’s not going to be hyper realistic, or an MMO.