Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game Pack Idea: Traveling through Different Decades

SepiaSepia Posts: 101 Member
edited December 2021 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
This is a random idea I had yesterday: a 1950’s game pack. But the more I thought about it, I think they could make different packs for most decades of the 20th century, at least.

1950’s, for example:

The pack could come with:

-specific hairstyles from the era (bouffants, poodle cuts, and pompadours, etc.)

-specific outfits and clothing items from the era (pencil dresses and skirts, poodles skirts, jeans and leather jackets, etc.)

-a few new recipes of iconic foods that became popular that decade (beef stroganoff, pig-in-a-blanket, chiffon cake, milkshakes and different ice creams and floats)

-lots of build and buy stuff for 1950’s decor, including for special soda fountain/ice cream parlor and sock hop builds.

-the ability to create fountain/ice cream parlor businesses with Dine Out (maybe also comic books, records, and other stuff with Get to Work as well)

-an added Sock Hop social event as a dance for teens

-new ice cream flavors, and the addition of milkshakes and floats

-playable toys styled like 1950’s toys (Mr. Potato Head, Play-Doh, slinkies, Barbies, hula hoops… I think all would build imagination, but hula hoops would be for the motor skill)

-1950’s radio station

-new dance moves would be cute

I think that’s enough for a pack, no?

Then I thought, they could do that for the 1920’s, 1930’s, and so on to the 1990’s.

What do you think? Would you purchase?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    edited December 2021
    Sepia wrote: »
    -playable toys styled like 1950’s toys (Mr. Potato Head, Play-Doh, slinkies, Barbies, hula hoops… I think all would build imagination, but hula hoops would be for the motor skill)

Heck, if they made these a kit, I'd buy it :)

Play-Doh and Barbie would probably just be reskins of existing items too, which means we'd only need new animations for Potato Head, slinkies and hula hoops.

I'm already staring into space with a stupid grin imagining what the slinky animations would look like.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member
    Interesting idea. I was born smack dab in the middle of the 1950s. I had the wide dresses that were prevalent, as a very young child. The Mary Jane shoes. We learned a new dance. It's called the Twist. My parents were very good at it, but then again, they were good at dancing in general. TV was basically a 'new' thing. I am part of what is called the TV Generation. I grew up with it. I would much rather a pack from the 18th century, as that's where my heart lies. Did you know the shower was basically devised in the late 1790s? My Grandma had a Flapper Dress and the long strand of what turned out to be real pearls. I loved watching the movies from the 1930s and 1940s. Some of the best clothing styles come from those two decades. I don't wish to repeat the 1970s, 1980s, or even the 1990s. Once was enough for me, but I do like your general idea.

I am uncertain I would buy the pack. I would have to see what's included to be quite honest. Again, I like the general idea of going back into Time.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,641 Member
    Yes! I would buy 20's, 50's, 60's and 70's packs.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    I would much rather a pack from the 18th century, as that's where my heart lies. Did you know the shower was basically devised in the late 1790s?

I'd definitely go for a late 18th century/early 19th century pack more so than a 20th century pack.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    That sounds awesome, my favorite will be 20th century, but I would like to see more times like 19th century, medieval, pirates, even a futuristic one
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    This is a random idea I had yesterday: a 1950’s game pack. But the more I thought about it, I think they could make different packs for most decades of the 20th century, at least.

1950’s, for example:

-specific hairstyles from the era (bouffants, poodle cuts, and pompadours, etc.)

-specific outfits and clothing items from the era (pencil dresses and skirts, poodles skirts, jeans and leather jackets, etc.)

-a few new recipes of iconic foods that became popular that decade (beef stroganoff, pig-in-a-blanket, chiffon cake, milkshakes and different ice creams and floats)

-lots of build and buy stuff for 1950’s decor, including for special soda fountain/ice cream parlor and sock hop builds.

-the ability to create fountain/ice cream parlor businesses with Dine Out (maybe also comic books, records, and other stuff with Get to Work as well)

-1950’s radio station

Then I thought, they could do that for the 1920’s, 1930’s, and so on to the 1990’s.

Kind of like the Decades challenge, but starting in the 1950's instead of 1850's :)
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • SepiaSepia Posts: 101 Member

Heck, if they made these a kit, I'd buy it :)

Play-Doh and Barbie would probably just be reskins of existing items too, which means we'd only need new animations for Potato Head, slinkies and hula hoops.

I'm already staring into space with a stupid grin imagining what the slinky animations would look like.

Yeah, I was thinking Play-Doh would basically be colorful molding clay, except for kids. Maybe they’d have new things kids could make with it.

Mr. Potato Head could be Mr. Llama Head.
    Hauk150 wrote: »
    That sounds awesome, my favorite will be 20th century, but I would like to see more times like 19th century, medieval, pirates, even a futuristic one

I would love to travel through time into different eras and countries, but I think the 20th century would be less daunting: more familiar things to create from “recent” history, and less to create in terms of content. Just additions to existing packs, really. No new worlds required.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    I’d definitely buy a 1950s pack. Thus a great idea.

It would have to come with landlines though to be immersive. An option for Sims to only use landlines would be helpful.
    Maybe some 1950 job careers as well.

Plus old fashioned cars! 😊🎉

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
    More ideas, since I'm into it now:

1920's:
    Hair: bobbed hairstyles (lots of variations of this), Dutch boy cuts, finger waves, eton crops with or without kiss curls, lots of fun headbands and hats
    Clothing: feathered headpieces, drop waist gowns and flapper dresses, fans, jazz suits, knickerbockers, riding boots, Ivy League look styles, two-toned oxford shoes... garter belts, turban hats, long pearl necklaces
    Food: deviled eggs, codfish cakes, chicken ala king, lobster canapes, pineapple upside-down cake
    Decor: 1920's build items to create cool speakeasy-type nightclubs or Great Gatsby-type parties
    Toys: adaptations of the Raggedy Ann doll (imagination), Tinkertoys (mental), and yo-yos (motor)
    Gameplay: "Swanky parties" social events (styled like Great Gatsby parties), and the addition of baseball in the game (shoutout to Babe Ruth)... they could make baseball diamonds on a big grid and have kids and adults run to different bases or swing a bat at a ball. Or they could just have a play catch feature just with a glove and ball, sort of like how the soccer ball works.
    Other: Charleston dance, 1920's jazz radio station, silent films added to the movies with actors who resemble Charlie Chaplin, Josephine Baker, Clara Bow and the like.
    edited December 2021
    1930's:
    Hair: marcel waves, straight or waved pageboy cuts
    Clothing: tops and dresses with puff sleeves, patterned house dresses, smoking jackets, beach pyjamas, culottes, sweater vests, English drape suits, sailor pants, saddle shoes
    Food: Mulligan stew, molded gelatin for dessert, meatloaf
    Decor: 1930's stuff
    Toys: An adaptation of Monopoly, although I guess the whole family can play. It would build mental skill. Finger painting as a toddler creativity skill.
    Gameplay: Dance marathons as a social event. Sims have to partner up and dance until they get exhausted and pass out (or leave to pee or eat, I guess). The last standing dancing Sim couple wins a cash prize. Radio programs where Sims can sit and listen to dialogue spoken with dramatic music. I LOL'ed thinking of their shocked reactions to hearing a suspenseful episode. Jigsaw puzzles which children and adults can assemble together (they can get happy moodlets, or become frustrated if they can't solve it).
    Other: Miniature golf courses as a lot type. Or maybe you can place one inside a park. But it would have a few holes with different areas for the Sim to travel around attempting to get the ball in the holes. I guess it would be similar to hiking in Snowy Escape.
    Post edited by Sepia on
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    1930's:
    Hair: marcel waves, straight or waved pageboy cuts
    Clothing: tops and dresses with puff sleeves, patterned house dresses, smoking jackets, beach pyjamas, culottes, sweater vests, English drape suits, sailor pants, saddle shoes
    Food: Mulligan stew, molded gelatin for dessert, meatloaf
    Decor: 1930's stuff
    Toys: An adaptation of Monopoly, although I guess the whole family can play. It would build mental skill. Finger painting as a toddler creativity skill.
    Gameplay: Dance marathons as a social event. Sims have to partner up and dance until they get exhausted and pass out (or leave to pee or eat, I guess). The last standing dancing Sim couple wins a cash prize. Radio programs where Sims can sit and listen to dialogue spoken with dramatic music. I LOL'ed thinking of their shocked reactions to hearing a suspenseful episode. Jigsaw puzzles which children and adults can assemble together (they can get happy moodlets, or become frustrated if they can't solve it).
    Other: Miniature golf courses as a lot type. Or maybe you can place one inside a park. But it would have a few holes with different areas for the Sim to travel around attempting to get the ball in the holes. I guess it would be similar to hiking in Snowy Escape.

I like your ideas about decades game packs. If they do a couple of them every year, we could be looking at a lot of content over the next few years. I would also love a stone age pack. Something like the Flintstones.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member

1950’s, for example:

-1950’s radio station

To answer the first part: Sounds like it could be fun for people who like that sort of thing. I might like it, too, but in a different game. My Sims 4 gameplay isn't based so much on the real world or its time measurements, or in turn its era-based fashions, fads, and technology. So to answer the second question, no, I'd personally be very unlikely to purchase.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    After seeing that 90s kit I don't have much hope for them doing older styles of clothing they just recolor what meshes we have like those horrible above the ankle pants and call it new. But older styles of clothing (done right) activities and basic objects like landline phones would make it possible to feel like you're playing a family through generations instead of always being stuck in a modern world but without cars and a world forever locked in time forever unchangeable.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"