Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What can make Sims 4 better?

Comments

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The fact that this is still being asked over 7 years after launch then I think the answer to that is... nothing.

It is not 2014-2017 anymore. TS4 is passed it's use by date. Time to move onto something new and something real.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I think more toggles would improve my gameplay. I enjoyed rotational play in Sims 2 with seasons as you had the option to change all four into one. I made all four seasons spring, then started going through my rotation and was able to play each family with the same season. Once I completed the rotation I would change all the seasons to the next one. The problem with Sims 4 is I feel the need to play through the whole year with each family so I can enjoy the seasons/holidays with each. I keep the seasons at one week each as I usually don't have enough time in real life to spend playing my game. Unfortunately I find I get bored before completing each year. Being able to keep one season on like in Sims 2 would allow me to get through an entire rotation staying in each family for maybe a week instead of four weeks. I enjoy playing rotationally but find it difficult to do in Sims 4.

Thank you for your insightful comment. I've been playing 2 for a few weeks and this method you used to sync the seasons is going to improve my game a lot! 🙏🙏🙏
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    Nothing. Invest everything in the sims 5. Revisit Will Wright’s algorithms from TS1 and TS2 and incorporate them into the next gen. This franchise has lost its touch.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Thank you #texxx78! I always enjoy Sims 2, Hope you enjoy your game!
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member

I think the game is great. I love it. I have no complaints just a vast, extensive, never ending Wishlist for things to be added to the game comprised of everything in the world that I like. :blush: My list starts with playable babies. The main reason I didn't switch from Sims 2 for many years is because there were no toddlers in Sims 4. How could I leave my Sims 2 toddlers? But now that I have switched I got so used to Sims 4 I forget Sims 2 more and more each day :cry: I just wish it was still online to buy because I lost my CD's.

They should just focus on adding more packs, gameplay and fixing bugs. I love that they are refreshing old packs and adding new stuff to them, and collecting feedback from players on what more they want in the game.

• BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    I just came back after a 3 year break, and I'm happy to see they improved the game quite a bit. But there was this sim that I could not play like I wanted, so maybe they can work on that. My sim was living in the trailer park of Strangerville, and she wanted to have cats roaming around her house to make it look even more ghetto. But they turn everything to eleven in this game. I selected cat hangout trait for the lot, and immediately upon going into live mode 4 stay cats came right into my house and started all meowing in unison at my sim, begging for food. It was unplayable. I could not even shoo them away and the no cats allowed rug did not even help. So I had to scrap this idea. Then I thought why not play her as a medium. She could tell fortunes to townies on a little side table with the help of a crystal ball. But again, it had to be turned to eleven. The crystal ball needs a whole room to operate, so it's more like a dark magician in a tall castle type of thing. Bummer, no mediums for me. And in live mode there was this family friendly looking green ghost always present and always freaking out my sim. That's definitely not how hauntings work in real life, that's how they work in kids games. Paranormal was a total waste of money for me. So my my final observations would be to turn it down, balance your game, or at least when you're selling a pack intended for kids, mention it in the pack description.
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    A team that actually plays and cares about the game they are making..?
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2021
    I'd like to see Covid-19 introduced by EA or the Mod Squad. LOL

@Darstep0301 How would you like to see Covid 19 implemented? 🤔 Would there be a chance sims could die?

Sure they should be able to die just like in the real world. But according to the information that we have, it should randomly kill off the Elderly (they only live 10 days in a normal life span game), and cut their time as Elders in half to 5 days. And the game should notify us of their contraction of the virus so we could wear mask in their presence. And all sims should self-quarantine for 2 days to see if symptoms of the virus appear in them. simgirl1010 everybody dies don't they? If a adult sim contracted the virus it should have a 80% chance of survival. A young adult should have a 90% of survival. A Elder should have a 25% chance of survival. And a child should have a 100% chance of survival.
    There is a poison in Jungle Adventures and the Hamster death in MFP that both mimic a virus like that. Helps with storytelling and yes there is a cure for both before death sets in.

I think more supernaturals , an overhaul of the emotions system, more trait slots, user friendly UI, and representation of all Simmers and their families especially when it comes to gameplay would help a lot.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • WoDiggWoDigg Posts: 1 New Member
    I would love it if they added super heroes and super powers to the Sims. It would be kind of like occult sims. You would work up to unlocking different super powers.
    WoDigg wrote: »
    I would love it if they added super heroes and super powers to the Sims. It would be kind of like occult sims. You would work up to unlocking different super powers.
    I would love them too. It would be a great way to represent differently enabled Simmers with ability to have different skills and superpowers to level up. I quite liked the Spellcaster book of skills so having something like a comic book would be fun for it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

@Darstep0301 How would you like to see Covid 19 implemented? 🤔 Would there be a chance sims could die?

Sure they should be able to die just like in the real world. But according to the information that we have, it should randomly kill off the Elderly (they only live 10 days in a normal life span game), and cut their time as Elders in half to 5 days. And the game should notify us of their contraction of the virus so we could wear mask in their presence. And all sims should self-quarantine for 2 days to see if symptoms of the virus appear in them. simgirl1010 everybody dies don't they? If a adult sim contracted the virus it should have a 80% chance of survival. A young adult should have a 90% of survival. A Elder should have a 25% chance of survival. And a child should have a 100% chance of survival.
    There is a poison in Jungle Adventures and the Hamster death in MFP that both mimic a virus like that. Helps with storytelling and yes there is a cure for both before death sets in.

I think more supernaturals , an overhaul of the emotions system, more trait slots, user friendly UI, and representation of all Simmers and their families especially when it comes to gameplay would help a lot.

I wrote this thread about a month ago, and the consensus was that it was too early to be part of the game since the real thing was affecting some of the players lives. However it's nice to see other opinions on the subject. Peace!!!

I wrote this thread about a month ago, and the consensus was that it was too early to be part of the game since the real thing was affecting some of the players lives. However it's nice to see other opinions on the subject. Peace!!!
    No worries. It is a norm of life now. I have accepted one thing that is constant in life is change. I have had friends affected by it and their body never fully recovers after getting it. It is actually required at my work to get vaccinated and well being immune compromised had to get especially since many of my friends are front line workers as nurses and school bus and grocery clerks had to get it for them. I just wanted to help out and I help get unemployment claims out to people and we actually got rid of the backlog too which felt amazing. I put a lot of myself and the people I care about into the Sims to simulate our lives and Sims just taught me you can thrive even when things get bad. There is a way out and it is beautiful and a surprise. It has helped me a lot with mental health and wasn't until the Sims 4 I connected with Simmers outside my household. Even girl that trained me at work played the Sims 3 and thriving with her first child. Anyways yeah I am a deviant pyro Simmer that knows beautiful things can grow out of fire.
  • Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member

No worries. It is a norm of life now. I have accepted one thing that is constant in life is change. I have had friends affected by it and their body never fully recovers after getting it. It is actually required at my work to get vaccinated and well being immune compromised had to get especially since many of my friends are front line workers as nurses and school bus and grocery clerks had to get it for them. I just wanted to help out and I help get unemployment claims out to people and we actually got rid of the backlog too which felt amazing. I put a lot of myself and the people I care about into the Sims to simulate our lives and Sims just taught me you can thrive even when things get bad. There is a way out and it is beautiful and a surprise. It has helped me a lot with mental health and wasn't until the Sims 4 I connected with Simmers outside my household. Even girl that trained me at work played the Sims 3 and thriving with her first child. Anyways yeah I am a deviant pyro Simmer that knows beautiful things can grow out of fire.

I'm glad to see that you are not overly sensitive to the subject as many were. That's why I discontinued the thread.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I miss a lot of things from Sims 2. I miss the way the game drew the lines between player and Sims and allowed us to be in the position of the "director" or "God", when the Sims were "them" and the player was "I", not one and the same. It used to be like having a virtual ant farm with relatable "ants" who behaved just like people I knew, or like I did myself, so I could relate to them. But I was in control (and sometimes not, lol) and I could laugh at their struggles and reactions without it being personal, or maybe because it was. They could get away with more incidents and meltdowns in the game back then without players getting triggered. And, again, I think this was because the game wasn't marketed as being the self, as being personal, it was more about safely exploring the Human Condition, good, bad and ugly. It was glorious and it was honest.

I feel like Sims 4 has switched the roles between Sim and player somehow. The player is now at the mercy of the Sims' moods and the Sims must not, by any cause, offend the fragile player. The Sims must represent the Utopia we all personally desire within ourselves. They must represent ourselves, but only the good, the optimistic, and never ever the faults and flaws. Where the game used to give us the ability to laugh at mishaps and mayhem and the imperfections of ourselves, it now steeps itself in a disingenuous false display of "everything is always okay" because we always win. It's a game that eternally promises to represent, but creeps further and further away from doing so because its sole focus has become representing what divides us and not what unifies us. And it's so, so very frustrating.

The original creator, Will Wright, had a vision of a game that explored human failures and disasters and the player was in the position of responsibility and accountability. Even the Sims would acknowledge this as they looked up at the player and shook their fists or cheered at the choices. The Sims 4, however, has a vision of an all-inclusive, perfect world where trials are small and easy and we always overcome. Where the player is invisible and the Sims make generally safe and innocent choices and the player is never accountable for the outcomes. They are two completely different games where the focus is more on what the Sims look like and less on what the Sims experience. It's clever marketing aimed right at the player to stroke the personal ego and give "the feels" and no longer about the comedy of bad choices and life's tribulations.

I miss player accountability. I miss Sim meltdowns. I miss the realistic yet humorous poke at the silliness of people when they take themselves too seriously or try to force relationships that don't work or take foolish risks or go against their nature and I really miss the brilliant accuracy of human psychology and Truth. Now we play in an illusion of human perfection and happiness which is not only completely insincere but also rather, well... boring. Success and contentment isn't what keeps me engaged; but failure and disruption does. Otherwise, what's the point of paying attention at all?
    #Team Occult
  • AlienTusksAlienTusks Posts: 194 Member
    I don't have an extensive background with the older sim's games, I basically got serious about the sims in sims 4. What could make it better.... well let's start with bug fixes (the big ones, where you tell a sim to do something and they stand there for 15 seconds before doing it, and the insulting is annoying. Lag in general, going to a sink across the house instead of using the one in the bathroom they just used, adding a sell stack to household inventory) those are some of the big bugs, other things EA could do is lower the cost of its content by just a bit anyway it's too much. Neighborhood stories is a great opportunity for The Sims and EA should build on it, it should be updated, and things added like, suggest a household to get involved in a relationship/marriage, or when they get a job, they actually gain money and can buy houses, bigger houses. townies moving in with other townies and forming a relationship. Better designed townies by appearance for example, traits have more effect on personal behavior. More Lot traits and challenges, more stuff to interact with in the worlds you purchase, instead of looking good but having nothing to do. More options on how to spend money when you have a lot of it. Thats all I'm going to say because I don't want to put too much on here...
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    1. 100% fixes in Base, Island Living, Discover University, Wedding Stories & Werewolves
    2. Refreshes on all packs
    3. Residential Lots in Granite Falls & Selvadora
    4. Fairies & Genies
    5. Superheroes & Supervillains
    6. Time Travel & Futuristic Livable World
    7. Ancient Times Egyptian/Babylon Livable World
    8. Castaway Adventure
  • octotigeroctotiger Posts: 64 Member
    An official way to create our own neighborhoods. Personality points like that of the Sims 1 and Sims 2 that affect the sims' autonomous behaviors. Sims not staring at their phones as much. Being able to sell the phone if we don't want the sim to have one.
  • balinshir12balinshir12 Posts: 1 New Member
    Add in the activity works
    news anchor
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    octotiger wrote: »
    An official way to create our own neighborhoods. Personality points like that of the Sims 1 and Sims 2 that affect the sims' autonomous behaviors. Sims not staring at their phones as much. Being able to sell the phone if we don't want the sim to have one.

This times a thousand! ❤️
    #Team Occult
  • Mimibabe8Mimibabe8 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @Captain_C said:
    > This, has been on my mind, for a very long time. And I won't sugarcoat it. Sims 4 seems to be cut for quality, and don't get me wrong, I enjoy the little tid-bits the game offers, but it does NOT last.
    >
    > Challenge is limited when it's something that isn't earned but given to players. I liked it when we could purchase cars and travel around the neighborhood, even after earning all these skills you just float around in game not able to use them for anything useful apart from social slapstick with NPC's; who only like you if you have any skill over lvl 5 or 6, or other rabbit hole jobs. Even personality, I mean, I think everything at EA is just face value, if it looks good, it must be right? We as humans can relate to sims for their social nature, limiting what you can do as person is not interesting. I'm not sure if the board room for EA has the idea of "How about for Sims 4, we imprison the players in lots again, we remove some iconic and standardized content and make people pay an arm and a leg for it"- you may as well had a subscription, which I believe you're doing for Sims 5 anyway.. surprise, surprise- "we ignore fans requests to enjoy and add value to game we spend money and time on, for our sake of 'instant' profit"- success is not instantaneous, if you don't put in the effort it won't reap the reward you expect- "and we will put some sort of fall guy for social media to ask what the public wants and give them barely that. Because we're EA, and we know what we stand for". EA - Egotistical Apathy.
    >
    > They won't listen to what I say here, just like they haven't probably listened since October 28, 2020. When they had a game that was groundbreaking, open world, exploration, learning anywhere, meet interesting people, gifted and unique people, don't be limited by where you are or who you are. Customize everything, have more personality traits, define who you are by what you've learnt and or have done. And the unknow factor of: if sims were puppets, if they were to pull the strings, who would be in control, which adds that challenge, that meta joke of if we are worthy or understanding enough of being that version of ourselves, or someone else, or even just guiding that individual. I actually feel confined when playing Sims 4, might be just me. I'm not talking massive houses, I'm talking a wilderness to explore and more engaging NPC's, maybe add some sims that visit or something from other player lots, and that would be interesting, urban city centers with dance classes, levels over 10 that can prestige and get bonuses with personality rewards, or suburban country towns with a feud or past history. I really liked planning Sims 2 Storytime with taking a snapshot of your sims life from the choices and challenges faced from the reality of a virtual world to keep exploring, really had something there. No idea what happened, money I guess.
    >
    > All I can really say, EA have fallen backward and will probably continue to do so, until they listen to what the public is after. I wouldn't be surprised if they have parties in closets and are okay with that. The risks EA are not taking, or maintaining, are losing them respect. EA has been branded and reported as cooperate greed by restricted what people have access to, they should be making us progress toward it minus the monetary value and more the sentimental and uniquely complex. And it's just sad to say that.
    >
    > I'd love to hear what everyone misses about Sims and what made it loveable for them.
  • Mimibabe8Mimibabe8 Posts: 2 New Member
    Totally agree. I feel like EA create more face value gameplay for The Sims across the different platforms. As a console sims player I just wish EA took into account what the community wants instead of giving us broken packs that cost an arm and leg just to have different content. I also wish they’d produce some sort of kits or pack that allows us to create proper garages instead opting to use cc content that isn’t interactable (as much as I appreciated the cc creators) as well as having functional cars like the old sims game. Give us new working stuff we actually want instead of broken packs that nobody asked for!
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited December 2022
    Modding can make The Sims 4 better because only you know what you want.
    Maxis tries to do what most players want with the resources and time they have. It can't satisfy everybody.

When The Sims 4 will be over, it will become better than any new games by adding the missing content and modding the gameplay.

For example by adding cross-pack gameplay like High School Years x Paranormal, an Occult Club learning the Medium skill and hunting ghosts in the high school during the night.
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    As one of the players who finds sims 4, kinda boring. First and foremost: a memory system-- i saw a mod that adds memories to the sims 4 just like sims 2/3. (leaned more towards 2 i think tho.) Secondly, the moodlets control the game too much- a toddler or anyone missed a birthday, they cry because they didn't have a party. While in different games like TS2, i do try to have a party for my sims birthday, the sim is not sad for days if it automatically ages up. That and not celebrating a holiday get on my nerves: what if it is within a players story to not celebrate their birthday-- what if they don't have a huge family to celebrate it with? Also a more open buy/build mode in consideration of building a house. I love building in the sims 2 (you should see my strangetown!) and a more open buy/build mode would be perfect. i also like choosing the neighborhood layout and not being stuck with a dollhouse of place the hospital there, or place the restaurant there- oh wait gotta bulldoze that house... totally no room to build much in TS4. Also, be more like TS2, i liked the crazyness of the game- like responsibility, losing your job, gaining job back, sims waving to the 4th wall..
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • s_stutlers_stutler Posts: 380 Member
    * Better Conversation options/things for Sims to talk about. (Many amazing Mods do this for PC players now)
    * Allow more traits to be added at once
    * RESPECT the traits of each individual Sim, and do not override them for Mood changes, without player approval.
    * Permission before autonomous actions. <-- I've noticed a significant, positive improvement with this, since HSY.
    * More life stages. (Infants are coming soon! GREAT improvement! - I would love to see Preteens added !!
    * Clothing packs tailored toward Teens and Preteens (if ever added) - We did see a nice increase in Teen clothing with HSY.

This game has come A LONG way, since its release. I still cannot play without Mods tho. Mods have literally saved this game for me, I would not want to play without them.

--There are Mods in my game, which add more in depth gameplay, but those things listed are the ones that immediately come to mind--
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    I bet if you ask simmers who have lost a loved one to Cpvid whether they want that coldly implemented into the game so it can traumatized them, they would overwhelmingly say NO!

And likewise, inflicting cancer on sims...can you imagine doing that to people whose pqrent or siblings or child died of cancer?

No.

This is not meant to be as gritty and brutal as possible, it's meant to be a fun game.

I get annoyed with feeling like with sims4, it became T for Toddler, and wish they would genuinely let it contain what a T rating entails, but that does not include traumatizing people who have lost loved ones due to horrific diseases.

One thing I thing would make sims4 more appealing is if, instead of being forced go start by creating a new household with each new save, you first pick a neighborhood, then see it and its filled and empty homes, and het the choice to either start with a household already there, or create a new one (or download one from the gallery).

That is how it was done in sims3 and sims2 and it feels burdensome to have no choice but to go through the lengthy process of creating a character when what I wanted to do was just jump right in and play one of the fun and fascinating households already there.

I can still get into those households, but only after I've been forced to create one I don't want and don't care about, first so with every new save, whether I like it or not, I have to make a "waste" character that just seems to not fit into my Windenberg. Something that ought to be deleted. An unwelcome guest in my world of the old families of Windenberg.

I loathe making a new save for that reason so my old saves get bloated.

One thing is, I'm not into this game for the goal that EA seemed to think sims4 should be exclusively all abput: playing a simself avatar.

I don't want to insert a virtual me, into the game. That's boring!

I want to walk in the shoes of Wolfgang Munch, then switch to Gunther when I want to make something happen that furthers my emerging storyline for that family.

I like seeing what they do when I put them in situations and see if they can succeed. That too is lacking in 4 because individual sims don't really have personalities, only a collection of moodlets, and their traits don't do much to differentiate them, just make them Tense or Happy in response to this or that. And anything and everything can make them Tense, Afraid. Gkad they finally let fear be a thing,, but like everything else it went overboard so they are fraidy cats freaking out about everything, things that make no sense for an adult to be afraid of, like thunderstorms and the dark 🙄

Adult sims so often don't act like adults, like they don't have basic levels of self-possession and assumptions about adults don't apply, like being mature enough not to be afraid of childish fears. I never got bust the dust but wouldn't be surprised if they get Afraid of the vacuum cleaner!

I often think in disgust, "what are you, eight years old?!"
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg