Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to move Sims 3 folder to different drive from C drive?

Hello everyone!

I have this huge problem that has bothered me for quite some time now. Basically my Sims 3 folder is stored in documents > Electronic Arts on my c drive. Since my c drive only has space for 109 GB, this takes up a considerable amount, and even after countless efforts to clean up my drive, it has only left me with 15 GB. I have windows 8.1 and I finally got the courage to try and install windows 10, but it seems to fail, and I have reason to believe that it is because of my disc space.

I need help, please. I love this game but I do not know how to move it. I do not want to uninstall it, but it would be stupid to reset the entire computer over a single game, but it feels like I am running out of options. Please help me out.

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2021
    There is a way to do that using what we call junction points/symbolic links. But if your C drive is that tight on space, honestly it's much more straightforward (and easier to manage) if you just use Windows to shift your entire Documents library to another drive. That is, assuming you have another internal drive to use; an external for this purpose is probably not going to work out well.

The game doesn't really care where your TS3 user game folder is physically, as long as it can find it through the system defined Documents directory.

Here are some illustrated instructions on how to do that. Forgive the "dummies" website name, but they do offer some very good tutorials over there like this one. It's for Win 10, but the instructions for Win 8.1 shouldn't really be very different.

Edit:
    Okay, just in case here are the Win 8.1 specific illustrated instructions.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • MagicEmeraldMagicEmerald Posts: 38 Member
    Uh thanks, but I'm not exactly a computer whizz and this sounds way confusing to me? Am I suppossed to create a library on my E/drive and then send the sims 3 there, or what should I do?
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    If you have the game through Origin just log into Origin, go to your library and right-click TS3 and click "Move". Then you are free to move the entire game to a new drive.
    Astro wrote: »
    If you have the game through Origin just log into Origin, go to your library and right-click TS3 and click "Move". Then you are free to move the entire game to a new drive.

The problem is, I have it on d/drive already, but the documents and all of that are still stuck in c/drive
    edited December 2021
    Uh thanks, but I'm not exactly a computer whizz and this sounds way confusing to me? Am I suppossed to create a library on my E/drive and then send the sims 3 there, or what should I do?
    Use a right-click or any other method that comes to mind to get to the Properties dialog box for your already existing Documents library as shown in the Win 8.1 illustrations. You should see that it is located in C:\Users\(your user name)\Documents. Click Move and change that to E :\Users\(your user name)\Documents. Or just about anything else that indicates where on E you wish to see it. You may still end up with an "extra" Documents folder left behind on C that you can then get rid of, after verifying that the real one with all of its contents has indeed moved over. And a new folder may still spawn on C but it won't or shouldn't contain very much by comparison as it won't be the in-use one.

And yes, the Origin trick is for the installation of the program files, which you already have taken care of. Not the user game folder.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    igazor wrote: »
    Use a right-click or any other method that comes to mind to get to the Properties dialog box for your already existing Documents library as shown in the Win 8.1 illustrations. You should see that it is located in C:\Users\(your user name)\Documents. Click Move and change that to E :\Users\(your user name)\Documents. Or just about anything else that indicates where on E you wish to see it. You may still end up with an "extra" Documents folder left behind on C that you can then get rid of, after verifying that the real one with all of its contents has indeed moved over. And a new folder may still spawn on C but it won't or shouldn't contain very much by comparison as it won't be the in-use one.

And yes, the Origin trick is for the installation of the program files, which you already have taken care of. Not the user game folder.

So I should just create a folder on e drive called ''E :\Users\(your user name)\Documents'' and send my existing document library there? Basically meaning I will have to create a user folder on the drive as well?
    I can't seem to move my documents library, only the actual documents in ''this pc'' are available to move through properties.
    Are you on a user account with administrator rights? There has to be (at least) one such account at all times. And yes, you can create the target user folder first but if it's not there Windows should just create one for you.

Otherwise, this really shouldn't be all that complicated. I must be missing something here.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Maybe I could try and drag and drop it. It should probably work, right? And as far as I know, my user account is set as admin
    Nevermind, I realized now after closer inspection on the guide you sent that I was supposed to move the folder from ''this pc''. I now have 22 gb free on my c/drive. Thank you so much, dude! Cheers!
    edited December 2021
    Glad to have been of help (eventually), but 22 GB doesn't sound like much free space if you are about to negotiate a Win 10 upgrade. I realize you only had less than 128 GB to begin with, but a C drive that small is really meant for the operating system itself and maybe security software (anti-virus/malware), Everything else really belongs elsewhere, if feasible. Can you not shift some additional programs or files to another drive?

You might want to check for and remove unnecessary Restore Points and run Disk Cleanup to see if either one manages to kick up more space.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Ok, so do you know of any folders or programs worth deleting/moving?
    If you take a completely formatted (empty) 128 GB C drive and install Windows on it (any version, let's say 8.1 in your case), it's not going to take up the entire drive. I have no way of knowing what else you may have installed on it or what is taking up so much space without poking around at it or running routines like Disk Cleanup.

And again, you may want to look up or get some help with checking out how many Restore Points you have. Those can take up a lot of space, or dozens of GB anyway. Personally I run with System Restore totally shut off because professionally I've found that malware can hide in the Restore Points. Different users' experiences with them will vary.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I just realized that I have roughly 10 GB in my appdata/local folder, but I have heard you aren't supposed to move it? I remember that I once moved a couple of game saves from there over to E/drive, but that's it. Is it safe to move the content of the local folder using a similar way as with documents?
    I think you stand to lose your data that way, or rather your system may lose track of it. Certainly appdata\local\temp can always be cleaned out, but it tends to collect more debris again after doing so.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Ugh, I'm starting to hate my computer. Out of so much space, there has to be something except game files in appdata that I can move? I transferred the contents of my ''Downloads'' folder to a new downloads folder on E/drive. My latest nvidia driver (472-12-something) was copied over, thus not completely moved. Therefore, I wonder what would happen if I were to delete the driver on C/ since it's already on E/.
    Also, when it comes to local appdata, do you think this is a safe way?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqqk7FhPPjE&ab_channel=Iain ? Heads up for annoying music.
    Yes, that method of redirection should be perfectly safe. And no worries about the annoying music, I have this wonderful bottle of 1,000 ibuprofen tablets sitting near my desk that I purchased before my local pharmacy/drug store got all stoopid about not being able to restock shelves due to supply chain issues (I think they actually are trying to reduce theft but they'll go out of business if they keep this up). :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!