Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should we have polyamorous relationships as an option for sims in "The Sims 4"?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited December 2021
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    Yes, definitely! That way the game is more interesting and challenging! The more, the merrier!
    There are already ways to do this, such as the Free Love N.A.P. or reward traits) but sure, I have no objections to the idea being built upon in other ways.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    SimsJediSimsJedi Posts: 26 Member
    Yes, definitely! That way the game is more interesting and challenging! The more, the merrier!
    It would be nice to have as a CAS trait and not a series of workarounds. They already have the Jealous trait, so they could just make a corresponding opposite trait. As a default, though, I could see that getting... annoying very quickly if you have autonomous romance mods. A CAS trait seems like the most fun and flexible option.
  • Options
    temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    edited December 2021
    Sure you can date multiple sims, but you can't really go on a date with 2 other sims or woohoo with more than 2 sims, Polygamy is an interesting thing since it's technically not cheating, however you should do it in a way you can manage, besides not everyone here have access to mods.
  • Options
    EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Sure you can date multiple sims, but you can't really go on a date with 2 other sims or woohoo with more than 2 sims, Polygamy is an interesting thing since it's technically not cheating, however you should do it in a way you can manage, besides not everyone here have access to mods.

Thank you for helping, @temporalgod, for explaining why it’s important to have polyamourous relationships in “The Sims 4”. I could not have worded it better myself.
  • Options
    EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    edited December 2021
    SimsJedi wrote: »
    It would be nice to have as a CAS trait and not a series of workarounds. They already have the Jealous trait, so they could just make a corresponding opposite trait. As a default, though, I could see that getting... annoying very quickly if you have autonomous romance mods. A CAS trait seems like the most fun and flexible option.

I totally agree with you. Polyamourous relationships should definitely be part of “Create A Sim” as an option for those who want polyamourous sims. I don’t use mods, and don’t want to use mods.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

Surely, it's managed one at a time, like everything else. 😂 Also, I believe jealousy is still possible in such setups, not sure how that would translate to the sims. Maybe there needs to be a difference between traditional polygamy and modern polygamy that is more like a threesome relationship.
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Surely, it's managed one at a time, like everything else. 😂 Also, I believe jealousy is still possible in such setups, not sure how that would translate to the sims. Maybe there needs to be a difference between traditional polygamy and modern polygamy that is more like a threesome relationship.

Speaking from experience, it's both exponentially more rewarding...and exponentially more difficult to keep properly balanced, even when each member of the threesome is as in love and as closely connected as people "normally" are in a good one-on-one relationship. The classic rules of a good romance, communication, trust, chemistry, none of that changes, there are just three relationships to keep balanced (the sides of a triangle) rather than one (a straight line between two points.)

In-game, there could be a "polyamorous" trait (or flag in CAS, handling it the way the game already handles gender) that would allow specific groups of sims to ignore behaviors in their "circle" that would normally trip the game's jealousy/cheating reaction. They'd still get mighty peeved if some interloper tried to flirt with someone in the closed group.

And if they make it a flag rather than a trait, the same net effect of "if you don't want this in your world, just don't turn on the flag" would keep people from seeing content they find objectionable or feeling forced to participate in it. It's already entirely possible to create a simworld with no LGBT+ presence at all (there are LGBT premades, but there's also nothing stopping a player from deleting them or forcing them into a hetero- or cisnormative identity, it's their game after all!) or one with no ethnic diversity (cas.fulleditmode and shift-clicking enough NPCs will do it), so they have the means to make a world where polyamory is wholly optional.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    jolienannjolienann Posts: 2 New Member
    > @EliteGirl said:
    > I think that we should have polyamourous relationships as part of the game and NOT a mod. Because not all mods are perfect, in fact some are really glitchy and clash with the game.
    >
    > There is so much potential for polyamourous relationships when it comes to “The Sims 4” when it comes to polyamourous relationships made as part of the game and NOT as a mod.

That's what I was thinking too, I know there are some posibilities in-(base)game but my sims don't really have to be a player or have no jealousy to have relationships with multiple sims, but without it it's also not easy. I think some people also suggested a faithful option so if they added some more poly settings and that I don't think people should be complaining 😄
  • Options
    temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member

Speaking from experience, it's both exponentially more rewarding...and exponentially more difficult to keep properly balanced, even when each member of the threesome is as in love and as closely connected as people "normally" are in a good one-on-one relationship. The classic rules of a good romance, communication, trust, chemistry, none of that changes, there are just three relationships to keep balanced (the sides of a triangle) rather than one (a straight line between two points.)

In-game, there could be a "polyamorous" trait (or flag in CAS, handling it the way the game already handles gender) that would allow specific groups of sims to ignore behaviors in their "circle" that would normally trip the game's jealousy/cheating reaction. They'd still get mighty peeved if some interloper tried to flirt with someone in the closed group.

And if they make it a flag rather than a trait, the same net effect of "if you don't want this in your world, just don't turn on the flag" would keep people from seeing content they find objectionable or feeling forced to participate in it. It's already entirely possible to create a simworld with no LGBT+ presence at all (there are LGBT premades, but there's also nothing stopping a player from deleting them or forcing them into a hetero- or cisnormative identity, it's their game after all!) or one with no ethnic diversity (cas.fulleditmode and shift-clicking enough NPCs will do it), so they have the means to make a world where polyamory is wholly optional.

Out of the LGBT premades, I can only think of Morgyn Ember who is supposed to be non-binary.
  • Options
    SansannaSansanna Posts: 37 Member
    The Sims is about playing with life and doing things you may not be able to do in real life, so I really think it should be an option to also have polyamorous relationships. We get to choose so many other aspects of our sims' lives, so why not this one?
    Gallery id: sannaljm
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member

Out of the LGBT premades, I can only think of Morgyn Ember who is supposed to be non-binary.

Darling Walsh strikes me as a they/them pronouns type by default. I don't have the magic pack so can't speak to Morgyn Ember.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space