Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you want a Sims 5 Online / Multiplayer mode to work?

simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,397 Member
edited September 2022 in Off Topic Chat
(Note: It hasn't been confirmed that Sims 5 will be announced or when it will come out if it is announced - this is all purely speculation for now)

I want to brainstorm how you think this could be accomplished. This is not the thread to talk about how you don't want an online mode. I personally play the Sims as a single player and would not want an online-only Sims 5. Assume for discussion here that Sims 5 Online is a separate game mode from the normal Sims we know.

I want to create three buckets of potential Online Multiplayer modes:
  1. Challenges, Scenarios, and Collabs - I view this as a beefed-up version of the gallery and scenarios. Think Sims 4 building challenges (e.g. shell challenge) and scenarios that you can play and compete in with friends and other people online.
  2. Second Life - Sims version of the Second Life game. You enter as a Sim in real-time with other players in a virtual world and can interact and chat with each other.
  3. Battle Royale - Think of the concept of Fall Guys or Fornite where you play a certain timed game with real people in real-time. Each "game" could last 24 minutes, or a Sim day on 1x speed. But each person controls a single Sim in an open world. Unlike Fall Guys or Fortnite, there is no objective or "winner," you are just playing the Sims like you normally would but with other people playing other Sims in an open world.

Which one is most interesting to you? Which would work the best, and how?
He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
Post edited by simmerorigin on

Comments

• simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,397 Member
    edited December 2021
    I'm personally interested in #3, which I view as a modified version of the main game. But I think there are some questions that need to be answered...
    • How would families work? - Would every player entering the game control a single Sim living alone in this open world? Or would there be families? Could a random person online end up controlling your spouse or child? (That could be interesting)
    • If you perform interactions with other Sims, are there guardrails put in place in which you can "block" a certain player if they become spammy and continually try to interact with you?
    • Do you enter CAS before each game session to create a new Sim, or is there continuity across play sessions?
    • Once you stop playing and log off, does that Sim stop existing? Or do you in effect "borrow" a randomly assigned Sim when you play them for a Sim day in a game session, and then another person IRL gets assigned the Sim once you relinquish control and leave online mode?
    • How would aging and generations work? Do Sims never die, or maybe them age by 1 year every IRL day. So every few IRL months you have a new generation?
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I just want to be able to play sims with my siblings. So like a multiplayer for a save mode. I play this already with the sims 1 gamecube. There is a splitscreen mode. So something like that, where we can both play the same family at the same time.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • metmichallicametmichallica Posts: 45 Member
    I'm personally not interested in the Sims 5 multiplayer. I like to play the Sims by myself.
    I'm personally not interested in the Sims 5 multiplayer. I like to play the Sims by myself.

This is not the thread to talk about how you don't want an online mode

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    edited December 2021
    I mainly want it to be optional.

I am not against the possibility of a multi player version as long as it is not the only option. I think animal crossing handles this well. You can visit each other through the airport but only if both players want to.

The battle royal is an interesting idea. Perhaps this could be done with a simmer goal in mind. Which sim earn the most money in a certain time? Or get the most friends? Or reach level 3 in as many skills as you can.
  • CharlotteknCharlottekn Posts: 544 Member
    The only thing that makes sense to me is something like Stardew Valley multiplayer mode, so I guess #1. An agreed group of folks living on one lot or in one world, working together on a challenge or just open ended play.

#3 makes me laugh though, because I was just watching videos and I absolutely love the way Sims "jump" into a fight in Sims 3. (I know that's not what you mean, but my mind went to Sims fight club!)

I would not be against some kind of improved Simport system, but I generally don't Sim with others.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited December 2021
    It has to be optional, that goes without saying.

Each player has their own game, closed off from everyone else's game. However, players who opt into multiplayer also get control over a neighborhood in Sim City. This district would be about the same same size as our current neighborhoods with five lots (you may leave four empty, if your playstyle is single household, of course). Initially players get to choose between three styles: suburban, slum and historic. Later you can unlock more neighborhood styles with a mix of satisfaction points, simoleons and maybe prestige, a new currency based on the number of your interactions with other players. In your Sim City neighborhood mods are disabled and cheats restricted to building cheats and reset sim (the latter on your own sims only). Only Sim City sims can interact with other players' sims.

Players can visit other players' Sim City neighborhoods and interact with everything in there. The owner of a neighborhood can also host competitions (skill or crafting based). Additionally you can define a local speciality, something like a postcard or t-shirt. Collecting different specialities could incentivize players like me, who are not interested in multiplayer, to visit other players' neighborhoods, after all.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    For it not to exist at all.
    SERVERFRA wrote: »

• Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    IF Sims 5 turns out to be online,I'd like it to be like Minecraft with the options of having a Single Player Mode and a Multi-Player mode. In the Multi-Player mode,we could have the option of creating our own servers(like they do on Mineteria and Roblox). We should be able to control who comes on to our servers,and we should be able to enjoy role playing on the servers we create.

Why do you hide inside these walls?
    SERVERFRA wrote: »

Thank you for your service :D
  • LouciferLoucifer Posts: 199 Member
    Any of the above would be cool if you have to option to opt out in the age of cyber theft I myself hate the idea of multi player game on my PC if I played console I might want that option
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny
    Thomas Jefferson (3rd US President)
  • Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    I just want to be able to play sims with my siblings. So like a multiplayer for a save mode. I play this already with the sims 1 gamecube. There is a splitscreen mode. So something like that, where we can both play the same family at the same time.

I would love to have the option to play in the same household as someone on LAN (Think S4MP!) in addition to setting up a town that up to 2-4 players can each have their OWN households... I'm not sure the simplicity/complexity of either option, but if they are going to do online play, anything MMO or connecting with strangers is out for me.

But I'd like it to be done RIGHT, and I'd like full offline, single player to still be readily available for the game. Please don't add anything like passes, loot boxes or other pay-to-win style content :cry: I want the game to stay purchasing packs like it's always been, maybe with something like TS3 store at the most, but no limited time stuff. Please???
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    the answer is no i went the sims5 to remain offline and single player
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member

sorry to say this but alot of members who will read this thread will disagree or frown at the idea of multiplayers or online alot of players will went the game to remain offline so you will need to accept the fact that when it comes to sims not all players are the same
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(

sorry to say this but alot of members who will read this thread will disagree or frown at the idea of multiplayers or online alot of players will went the game to remain offline so you will need to accept the fact that when it comes to sims not all players are the same

• JokubasJokubas Posts: 100 Member
    I think I would like to see some sort of asynchronous co-op sort of thing.

For instance, you play the game singleplayer as normal. However, at any time, you can invite another player to visit your neighborhood, or you can request to join theirs, somewhat like inviting an NPC friend currently, but obviously with player agency behind the character.

I would not want this to be always open. I'm thinking about it more the way that LAN servers work in Minecraft.
  • TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    I don't want the Sims to have ingrained online functions. So nothing like an MMO, nothing like multiple players in the same neighborhood, etc. As someone else mentioned, Animal Crossing has the kind of online functionality that I think might work with the Sims. It's first and foremost optional, and secondly, it preserves the single player experience completely. The main issue I have with the online connectivity is how it will damage the modding community. If you don't have a mod, you'll basically be seeing Sims in their undies and bald.

Other things I think I would be ok with for online play would be challenges or global player goals - i.e. an event where everyone earns points for earning skill points or something, that contribute to a public milestone goal for some kind of reward object or something. I'd also be ok with designated public spaces where players can opt to go to interact with others - like an Airport or Train Station bar where players can congregate, but something that should be well divided from the single player experience.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I don‘t want any multiplayer options. If they go multiplayer I hope
    a) it‘s fully optional
    b) there is no fomo and plum like this
    c) you have to add real people manually to your game (send invitation, accept invitation). TS is very popular among young girls. They need to be protected from predatory old men.

I just don‘t see a way to make it fully online and multiplayer and still be The Sims. I don‘t want a Second Life Lite or Fortnite Lite. I want The Sims.
  • BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    edited December 2021
    I don't want to have to compete with other simmers. Having to prove my worth to people would defeat the whole purpose of the game, which should be about the boring day to day lives of almost ordinary people. I think the game won't change much in that perspective to be honest. Maybe they'll give us some scenarios to experience that grant rewards and promotions? I think I would be okay with that. Just don't make the game all about them. I think the franchise should stay as true to itself as possible. So number 2.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2021
    I mean we do have Sims Freeplay and the Sims Mobile. Other than that I enjoy Animal Crossing with my siblings. There is a game to come out on Steam which is an improved Sims Online game that is co-op. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1501310/The_Ranchers/ So it is like why wait when options already exist both for the Sims times two and with other games especially how impatient Simmers get. No need to wait. I really enjoy Minecraft and Stardew Valley too, so I am content.

Seems like it has a project name already too. Sims 4 online attempt was Olympus and looks like this one is called Project Lotus: https://simscommunity.info/news/the-sims-5-news/
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited December 2021
    I’m astounded by the amount of folks who don’t seem to be able to understand the original post.

I’m a single player kind of guy, so the idea of and online multiplayer Sim has never interested me on a personal level.

I can however imagine it being an optional mode very similar to the gallery and spark’d challenges that we have today. I know sims 3 Showtime is shipped with a feature called “sim port”, which allows you to send a sim to a friend’s game to perform a show, like an off-world rabbit-hole venue. It goes without saying that for this feature to work you need to have friends. It so happens that I don’t have any friends therefore I never used sim port and don’t know exactly how it works. 😅

I assume something similar could be implemented in an online sim albeit a little more fleshed out? I’m sure many (teen) players would love their sims to perform in their friend’s games, join contests and give out awards if there was to be such a system? But it has to be extremely secure, given the genre and child/ teen rating for this game.

As for my personal game, I’m keeping the doors bolted unless there’s true magic to be found on the other side.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Nothing more than an expansion of the Gallery, which would make it closer to Workshop functionality with some Steam games--mainly with mods. When a patch/update comes, it's a daunting task dealing with a bunch of mods that need updates. Being able for them to update automatically would make things much easier.

At this point I'm very uninterested in multiplayer until a core single-player experience is robust and bug-free.