Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to make your sims more "real" without script mods

Physical:

1) To avoid Same Sim Syndrome, roll two sims. Play with genetics and randomize a teen until you have a sim you like. Delete the original rolled sims. Change the newly created sim's age to the age you want to play.

Personality:

2) Give your sims one negative trait. This doesn't have to be anything terrible, you can make them clumsy or squeamish or something. Flaws will make them more realistic as well as more interesting.

3) Once your sim is on a lot, cheat them 1 to 3 reward traits that fit the personality you want them to have.

4) Give your sim a hobby.

5) Give your sim a visual preference for clothes, decor, or both. For example: bright colors, neutral colors, pastels, rainbows, minimalist look, cluttered/busy look, shiny things, things with texture, whimsical/fun things, dark/macabre things, etc.

6) Give your sim a favorite animal or insect. This doesn't necessarily have to be an animal available in game. For example, if you have a child who really likes ladybugs, you can decorate their room in black and red.

7) Have your sim be a collector of something. This doesn't have to be something officially collectible. For example, they can collect snow globes (an official collectible) or wall art that features nature (not an official collectible).

Romantic Side:

8) Without downloading any mods, assign your sim a physical preference for potential romantic partners (in your head). Only allow them to date other sims who fit that preference. For example, they might prefer redheads, or sims with brown eyes, or sims with big boodies, etc.

Skills:

9) Cheat your sim skills they would already have at that stage in their life. Don't go above about 50% of total points available so that they still have some room to grow.

Friends and Back Story:

10) Who your friends are says a lot about you. Give your main sim a friend group of 2 to 3 sims that you create to specifically be their friends.

11) Start your sim off at the life stage BEFORE the one you want to play. Have them do things with their friends and family to build up experiences and relationships before starting their journey. For example, if you want to play a young adult who just moved to the big city, first start them as a teen in a small town. This gives them some history going into whatever story you're creating for them, and they're not just some nube sim all alone in the world.

12) If your sim is YA or older, think about what clique they were in in high school and how that influences their behavior and attitudes today.

What else? Share your suggestions for making your sim more realistic without using script mods.

BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com

Comments

• 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,572 Member
    The title is a little irritating because from what I read here you mean without mods at all, not only without script mods.
    There's a vast variety of tuning mods aiming to give Sims more personality (e.g. Polar Bears More Personality Please to Just Name 1), so maybe you want to adjust the title a little and get rid of the 'script'?
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • EdieApplebyEdieAppleby Posts: 134 Member
    I love some of these, like I've never specifically created friends for my Sims based on traits and interests before, even if I give them detailed backstories and full neighbourhoods... And now I'm just like, why have I never done that.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited December 2021
    Great suggestions. Actually, this is pretty much how I prefer to play. I don’t wait for, or even want, the game to give me everything. I set up my Sim’s story then play it out in the game’s world. And I definitely use cheats to get them the skills they should have in the life stage they are in. Cheating in reward traits gives them some additional personality. I also create a friend group and cheat the friendship bars up, as well. Other friends come in through the game. I use money cheats to place them in the lifestyle needed for their character right at start. I also give my main sims unique personal clothing styles and reserve those wardrobe items for just them. That also contributes to their uniqueness and individuality.

One main suggestion I have would be to create sims with aspirations that go beyond those in game. For me, this makes the game activity have more depth. For example, I might have a young spellcaster who grew up on the run due to human rejection of magic, who finally makes their way to the Magic Realm. In-game aspiration would be to master magic, but the bigger aspiration would be to influence humans in a positive way to accept magic. This bigger aspiration helps to guide choices and continues to give them direction after the in-game aspiration is met. The larger aspiration helps with selecting new game aspirations, as well. For example, that Spellcaster might choose the “friend of the world” aspiration next, in order to have more influence, and the gameplay with this sim can then go in a new direction that is still consistent with their beginnings.
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    @83bienchen I was trying to differentiate between regular cc and mods that change gameplay when I wrote the title. I’m not a modder, so I might not have the lingo down exactly. Sorry if that was confusing. :smile:
    @EdieAppleby Hi, Edie. I love yourname. :smile: I’ve had a lot of fun with custom-made friends in game, doing everything together from ice skating or house parties when they’re single to having parent child play groups once my sim and their friend group get married and start having kids. Glad I could inspire you with a new idea to try in your game.
    @cyncie Sounds like you play VERY similar to how I do. I like your aspiration idea. :smile:
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,572 Member
    Never mind, @QueenofMyshuno, you got some great ideas there especially for Vanilla players, but they can also be used by Players who also use mods.
    I've always been a fan of making the best of what we got in the game.
    despite using mods, and actually also when creating mods, I Always try to interfere as little as possible with what we have and try to add on, carefully adjust and combine what EA gave us.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • EdieApplebyEdieAppleby Posts: 134 Member
    I just thought of one I always do. It might be small.

I group places with similar architecture/vegetation/etc so Sims can only travel among those places without sleeping over.
    Oasis Spring and Del Sol would be in the same country, and if you want to go to San Myshuno you'd have to rent a room and stay over night or you can never go to the Romance festival, for example. So where you choose to live affects your amenities.

I also, like to create at least one parent or sibling of my Sim and put them in another home just so that when the game starts it's not super weird that they plopped out of nowhere with no family tree. And if Mom lives in Willow Creek and you're in Windenburg, you have to "fly over" and spend the night. Give mom a tricked out house and you can make a holiday of it. Bring your girl/boyfriend, and exchange gifts and spend Winterfest together.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,849 Member
    edited December 2021
    I also like the idea of having some things be random, or choosing between limited options that are randomly generated. Here's what I'm doing these days. The random rolling allows sims to be more individual and I end up using more diverse traits and aspirations than I would choose on my own. I like that they surprise me.

When it's time to choose traits, I roll 3 choices. If a trait appeared that's shared by both parents, I choose that one. Otherwise, if a trait appeared that one parent has, I choose that one. If no parental traits appeared I choose one of the 3 choices that I just like for that character the most, but I still roll 3 additional times to give a parental trait a chance to show up. So some of the time they inherit a parent's trait, and some of the time they show us that they are their own people no matter what the parents try to do ;)

Toddler trait is just randomly rolled once.

Aspirations- I roll 3 choices and choose the one that I like for that character the most. (I tend not to switch aspirations until completing one-- in my gameplay, aspirations aren't about collecting aspiration points since I usually end up with way more than I need regardless, aspirations are about giving a sim's life some direction.)

Gender- when a sim ages up to child I roll a number from 1-100 for gender identity. 1-95 is cisgender, 96-98 trans, 99 anatomical/chromosomal intersex condition, 100 non-binary.

Sexual orientation- when a sim ages up to teen I roll a number from 1-100 for sexual orientation. 1-75 is straight, 76-90 is bisexual/pansexual, 91-100 is homosexual. Sometimes I also roll gender identity and sexual orientation for NPC sims a child has grown up with, but not often.

Oh, and for reward traits, I limit myself to one when they age up to young adult and one when they age up to adult, based on what's happened in their life experience so far. All Elders get the Observant trait.

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Parenthood pack and Get Together pack helped a lot making Sims feel more realistic with being able to use the club feature to ignore the default go to robot interactions troll the forums, drink, and do push ups, more realistic life stages and moods, and parenting skill. Likes and dislikes helped too. Cottage Living made Sims feel more real with the market and animals. I kind of wish we had more slots because testing with mods five slots make Sims feel more real. Lot traits can help a lot too especially the challenges which are thankfully unlimited now. I would even love unlimited negative traits like how challenges work. Also environmental noodles have a very strong emotional buff, so having Sims use cheap furniture helps make them more realistic.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    When it's time to choose traits, I roll 3 choices. If a trait appeared that's shared by both parents, I choose that one. Otherwise, if a trait appeared that one parent has, I choose that one. If no parental traits appeared I choose one of the 3 choices that I just like for that character the most, but I still roll 3 additional times to give a parental trait a chance to show up. So some of the time they inherit a parent's trait, and some of the time they show us that they are their own people no matter what the parents try to do ;)

Toddler trait is just randomly rolled once.

I try to choose child trait after the toddler one. Otherwise with just random rolling Energetic toddler can become Lazy or Angelic could end up Evil. I prefer more character inheritance. So I've made a sheet where I group all traits under the corresponding toddler once and when sim ages up to child I roll from this pool for their trait.
    @mightysprite I was going to manually assign parental traits for the sims I have coming up, but I like your idea of rolling for them. Thanks! Also, very cool method with realistic percentages for assigning gender identity and sexual preference.
    @Scobre Cottage Living is one of the two expansions I want right now (Snowy Escape is the other). I knew they had animals, but I didn't realize they also had markets--cool! I agree that Parenthood and Get Together are great packs for realism. I get a lot of use out of the club system in particular.
    @Harukotyan I like how you keep your kids' traits consistent from toddler on up. I used to not keep track of what the toddler trait was, but in my current save, I'm more aware of it and of having a child trait that is a logical progression from the toddler trait.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    @Scobre Cottage Living is one of the two expansions I want right now (Snowy Escape is the other). I knew they had animals, but I didn't realize they also had markets--cool! I agree that Parenthood and Get Together are great packs for realism. I get a lot of use out of the club system in particular.
    I love Snowy Escape too. Great pack for outdoor group activities. Yeah Cottage Living has these market booths run by both the Crumplebottoms and then there is like a farmer's market event you can submit your crop or animal in. Makes the Sims feel like Stardew Valley. I love Eco Lifestyle and Island Living for outdoor gameplay activities too. I begged for awhile to have llamas in the game being a SimCity player so was thrilled when they made it into the game. SimGuruConor and SimGuruPopcorn are newer SimGurus but they content they have made and being excellent at listening to all sorts of feedback has been like a breath of fresh air into this iteration. It is nice seeing their efforts and fresh ideas with the newer packs.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    A trusty bag of D&D dice can be useful for those hard to make decisions - works well with or without mods, script or otherwise.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    All good points, OP. I do the same thing already, only I use MCCC to help cheat up their skills. I'm a firm believer, however, that Charisma is something you're born with as opposed to skilling yourself there. So, some of my Sims who are destined to be charmers, full of suavity, get level 10 up front. But I do try to leave room for growth. You are spot on about those weak traits being added. I loved that five trait slots from Sims 3. I could give my Sims three strong traits and two 'bad' traits. For instance, my Genius, destined to be a World Renown Surgeon, also was clumsy and childish. He was and is so much fun. Now, he's just clumsy, since we have fewer slots. All of this makes for well-rounded characters.

My addition to this sage advice: Play with autonomy on full. Not only does it help you wrangle a full house, but the antics your Sims get into are hilarious. I rarely have a boring gaming session.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I enjoy giving my Sims secondary head canon aspirations. For example, a Sim might think she really wants to have a big family, but in her heart of hearts she really wants to be a famous scientist and won’t admit it to herself.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited December 2021
    I play a vanilla game and have a rotational main save I have had sims 2014 ( I have done ‘save as’ plenty of times with it for back up ). Every once in awhile I will add a new sim or household. I like my households all different.

Some are friends that I pretend grew up together. They splinter off when they get married or choose to live with a romantic partner.

One household was a set of brothers (2) and sisters (2) all with very different looks and traits. One brother ( my criminal sim ) who is now a boss sim was evil and mean, he looks like s rough character with a broken nose, I haven’t given him scars yet, but think I will. He is the oldest and married a beautiful jealous wife that he cheats on. His brother ( a gamer ) is good, and is living with his girlfriend in the city. They will marry and have several children and he will be a faithful husband. One sister is non committal and has changed jobs a couple of times ( she is a clothes designer now, it suits her ) and changes partners often, she lives in that partihaus household now with another girl, and 2 guys ( only 2 original partihaus sims ). The other sister is more consistent, has become a top level scientist, and now lives with her longtime boyfriend who she will marry before having a couple of children. I’m trying to decide whether she will quit her job for awhile while she raises her toddler(s) or not. I might just make some holidays for the family, when toddlers come along and have her make and sell potions and science equipment in a maybe little store occasionally. The 4 brothers and sisters all started as a family of young adults in a not too large trailer, but now have moved on to other households, but still have a connection to each other, celebrate holidays etc., in their family club, it has been such a fun family to play.

I have a Grandmother and Granddaughter in a small apartment, a painter ( with a baby son ) who has the angry trait and has an ex girlfriend, and, a musician who is working on fame, a business sim who has become a CEO, a family of journalists ( Father, adult daughter with a teenage son and a YA son). A Military sim ( my hero of strangerville). A couple of fathers and sons. And I also play some original sims like the Goths who moved to forgotten hollow and Mortimer is a politician.

I have a Generational family 4 Grandparents ( a doctor and his wife a violinist, and the other set is a handyman/ fisherman, his wife gardens, and knits ). Their son ( a computer programmer ) and daughter ( housewife) who married and have a teenage daughter and child son. The daughters parents ( handyman/fisherman & wife ) moved out and lived in Brindleton Bay and got a hunting dog, they have recently moved to Henford on Bagley ( where I pretended they were originally from ), and will add farming to the gardening and fishing. The generational family was another of my favorite families to play.

I have several other families too like my original collector sim, a couple who is active and loves vacationing in their off time ( a baseball player and media girlfriend seeking fame ). I have a couple ( he’s an astronaut ) who have a toddler. Another couple with a toddler who I haven’t played much yet, and some other households.

I keep aging off most of the time and all of my families are so different that I can rotate if I get bored. The only thing that keeps me from playing lately is frustrating bugs ( like the plant reverting one ). Most of my sims I don’t cheat with so some bugs really frustrate me. Variety of sims for me is the spice of life when it comes to playing sims. Each household has a backstory in my mind. And, my sims in this save are interconnected, which I really love.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on