Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Pelican Town to Sims Town" - A Stardew Valley, Sims 3 Fanfic

Comments

• Silverofdreams30Silverofdreams30 Posts: 7,200 Member
    @emorrill

Wow, Pennys dress where did you find it? ( hehe see now It's me wanting to know where you found a
    dress), it is simply just gorgeous I love it!
    They seemed to have fun at the festival, oh boy love spell! Haha, that was funny :D
    I see they are progressing within the new friendship Hayley and Sam and Alex and Maru I love it, I think Hayley works better with
    Sam really hehe even though I know in the game she's Alex's crush from the beginning.

Great update
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,119 Member
    edited November 2021
    KevinL5275 wrote: »

Even better: She was still magically exhausted from casting the love charm and good luck charm.

@KevinL5275 Yes! I do like that even better! :smiley: Thanks buddy. :kissing_heart:

@meerkattime When I wrote my reply to you I was totally thinking that roasting marshmallows and s'mores is more likely a States activity. ;) Totally give it a try sometime when you find an opportunity. :smiley: I don't particularly care for roasted marshmallows on their own, but on s'mores...yum yum yum!
    Here's a picture to illustrate the yum factor. :lol::yum:
    smore-fun-facts-e1446395468428.jpg

Do you guys have "Moon Pies" over there? Those are pretty similar to what a s'more tastes like. If you'd like to get an idea. :)

@Silverofdreams30 Hey girl! :smiley: Thanks for taking some time away from ACNH to make such sweet comments. :kissing_heart: (I had to tease you a little with that. ;)<3 ) That was one epic update with tons of new content so I totally get how hard it is to stay away from. :mrgreen:
    I had a feeling someone would ask about the dress. ;) I think it's from TSR. Let me go hunt for it real quick.........
    Here it is. :blush:
    https://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/details/category/sims3-clothing-female/title/ice-saint-dress-ya-a/id/1484961/
    It's available for teens too (in a separate download). :)
    I think Hayley works better with Sam really hehe even though I know in the game she's Alex's crush from the beginning.
    ^I really feel the same. :blush: And it warms my heart to hear you say it.
    At the start of writing this story, I had some doubts on whether the pairing would work - and if I could pull it off since yeah, it's always been Alex and Haley - but ultimately it just made sense for me to pursue with where I'm going with the story and I had to follow my heart on it. I never go wrong in following my heart and intuition. <3
    Glad you enjoyed it. :)
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
    @emorrill

Thank you for the link, hehe I have not played
    that today.
    Hey friends! :smiley: I've got a couple of updates, back to back, here for ya. :mrgreen: One now, one later this evening. Happy Holidays! 🎄

That wasn't the original plan, but the finale got too long so I had to break it up. And I actually have a perfect break up point this time around. ;) lol

This first update is something I was going to entirely wipe from the story actually - mostly due to having to use my tacky "mad" Microsoft Paint skills as these perfect poses did not come with accessories... :unamused::lol: - but I decided to keep it in as it contributes greatly to Alex's character development. :star:

So with that being said, I hope y'all will enjoy this almost omitted event as I prepare to roll out the big finale of Chapter 16! :star:

Pelican Town to Sims Town
    Continuation of Chapter 16...

During the past three months...

Two weeks later, Harvey and Maru successfully compounded quite a few tablets of the broad spectrum antibiotic; mishap free. Harvey tested it on one of the cockroaches immediately.

Afterward, he informed Maru, “The cockroach is acting like it just got hit with some bug killer and is hanging on to life. I don't think it’s going to make it…”
    “Hmm,” Maru thought for a moment.
    "This concerns me..."
    “Well antibiotics do have nasty side effects…”
    “Yes, they do."
    "And the more we get into compounding prescription strength drugs, the more side effects there will be to consider," she reminded him.
    "True. Guess they could just be too toxic for a bug.”
    “That’s why we need one of us - a human - to test them out. That's another reason why I invented the monitoring equipment so we can safely have someone do that. We’ll be able to see what’s happening to the body after it’s consumed and care for the volunteer in a swift manner should anything serious happen, but I'm confident nothing will.” She studied Harvey’s face for a moment. “You agree...don’t you, Doctor?”

51687233096_618d622124_c.jpg

“Uh, yes, mostly,” he replied, finishing chewing on his lower lip. "I’m thinking it might be wise to go back and check the formula--"
    "We've done that several times already!" Maru stressed. "It's fine! We did it right."
    "Then before we ask anyone to test it out, let's find some kind of animal to test it on first and see how it reacts to it. If it dies, I simply cannot approve it for human consumption. We'll have to rework the formula or something. Because all I know is it’s only a matter of time before one of us gets some form of an infection and I want to be able to knock it out of the park. Left untreated, infections pose a serious threat to a person's life."
    "I know Harvey...," she sighed while pinching at the bridge of her nose. It certainly was a wise course of action that she couldn’t argue against. "I'll find a good mammal to test it on." They seemed few and far between in this world.
    "Thanks Maru."

She didn't have to look long, thankfully. Leah informed the girls that something was eating up a bunch of the vegetables in their greenhouse. So Maru rigged up a trap and set it out that evening. The next morning she captured a rabbit.

51713765146_953313f7a6_c.jpg

When given the antibiotic the rabbit also seemed to get a little sick from it. It hung out in the corner of its cage, sleeping often, and didn't eat or drink. Its heart pumped faster than normal as well. But it was still alive. Two days later it perked up and consumed two carrots and a few lettuce leaves, as well as drinking half its body weight in water. That was a good sign. When given the antibiotic again, as most have to be taken for 7 - 10 days straight, the rabbit got a little sluggish again, but recovered quicker than the first time. It seemed its body adjusted to the medication, and by day four there were no apparent side effects. The Doctor and the Scientist were relieved.

"While this is great news, I still think it would be wise to have one of us test it out so we know exactly what kind of side effects to expect on a human. Like I said before, we're prepared for it." Maru ended with a grin.
    "Agreed, but I certainly don’t want anyone to feel forced to test it out, as we’re in such an unusual situation here and many of them might not feel it’s worth the risk, so,” Harvey placed his hands on his hips, “if no one volunteers, I’ll test it on myself.”
    “No,” Maru objected, “we need our doctor in good health at all times to care for us. If no one volunteers, I’ll do it.”
    “Maru…”

When the two informed the entire group about the antibiotic and asked if anyone would be willing to test it out, there was a long silence as everyone shot quick glances at each other; consumed by their own personal reasons not to offer their bodies up.

“Sorry Harvey,” Shane voiced, breaking the silence. “I went through one h**l of a healing process and I’ve been poked and prodded at enough as it is. It’s someone else’s turn.”
    Emily tenderly rubbed at his back in sympathetic agreement.
    “Completely understandable Shane,” the Doctor acknowledged. “And I understand why the rest of you are hesitant as well, and I don’t blame you. Don’t worry about it then.” He sighed. “We’ll just see how it goes if one of you gets an infection and we’ll monitor you closely.”
    “That’s why it’s so hard to offer Harvey,” Leah said for everyone. “IF we get an infection. None of us have really gotten sick since landing here and we’ll probably be going home before we do, so…why put ourselves at a health risk for possibly...nothing,” she ended with a shrug. The others nodded.
    "I understand," was all Harvey could say.

Alex glanced over at Maru to express his agreement on that other valid point, along with his own. That’s when Maru said to the group, “I’d rather we know the effects of the medication before giving it to any of you when you’re sick. I’ll test it on myself everyone, it’s no problem. Thank you for your consideration.”

When everyone left the room to prepare themselves for bed, Alex stayed put, looking down at the floor with his hands resting in his lap.

51687222446_d826c72b47_c.jpg

He had a problem with that.

Early in the morning the next day, Maru entered Harvey’s vacant bedroom to begin the day’s work. At least, she thought it was vacant since Harvey greeted her downstairs, letting her know he was taking Penny out to breakfast and would be back later.

She jumped at the sight of the person relaxing on one of the spare exam tables - which she quickly recognized as Alex - legs crossed and hands in his lap. He was giving her a rather curious grin.

With a furrowed brow, she asked, “What're you doing?”
    The grin softened. “This is me being selfless…"

51712975897_c3b3aa3d4e_c.jpg

It took Maru a second to remember, but when she did her heart swelled as she brightly smiled at him.

51714636520_aa9b6f2f53_c.jpg

She stepped closer to him. “I didn't mean to make you feel like you aren't…”
    “It's alright.” He sat up, sitting on the edge of the table. “You weren't entirely wrong about it, so…,” he trailed off.
    Maru half-nodded, finding herself rubbing at her neck for more reasons other than feeling awful. Sometimes she was too blunt towards others for her own good. “So...why exactly are you here?” her heart wished to ask, even though her soul already knew. Perhaps it needed to hear it. Alex stood and stepped closer to her, which made her heart flutter.

“Over the past few weeks I've suddenly started caring a lot about what you think of me,” he revealed. “Maybe it's because we're friends now or that you inspire me or...I dunno.” He shrugged.
    She blushed.
    “I've always been that annoying, self absorbed, high school jock to you. I wanna change that perception; show you there’s more to me than that. That I’m better than that.”
    “I already know you're better than that,” she affirmed. “You don't have to prove anything more to me.”
    It warmed his heart to hear her say it. “Guess not...but I have to prove it to myself.” He swallowed. “And that's why I'm offering to be your test subject.”
    Aww, she swooned from within, but responded in all seriousness, “Alex, really...you don't have to do this…”
    “Yes I do. I can't let you do it…”

Her eyebrows rose, realizing. “Oh, I see. Didn't think chivalry was your thing…”
    “See, there's still a lot you don't know about me.” He winked.
    She blushed again.
    “Besides, I'm the perfect candidate for this job and you know it!” He grinned proudly. “I’ve got the healthiest body out of everyone.”
    “True…”

51713765586_3ab7c24cb5_c.jpg

“So,” he began while popping his fingers. “Where’s this antibiotic pill? I’m ready!” His pounding heart screamed otherwise, but he kept assuring himself it was going to be alright. Especially if Maru would be by his side caring for him. Harvey? He could take him or leave him.
    “Let’s not jump the gun here,” Maru halted. “We need to record your basic vitals and give you a quick check-up before you take it.”
    He grinned, his previous fantasy of being her test subject coming right back to him.
    “I’m going to see if I can catch Harvey before he heads out,” she said, heading for the staircase.
    “Wait...aren’t you his medical assistant? Couldn't you just check me out?”
    She turned and raised an eyebrow at him.
    “Sorry,” he squeezed his eyes shut, “that sounds weird. What I mean is...If Harvey’s busy and you have the ability to give me a check up, which I don’t doubt, then why bother him? I’d kinda prefer you to do it anyway…,” he ended with an unintentional smirk.
    Maru simply shook her head. “He’s the doctor so he should be the one to examine you. Sit tight and I’ll be right back.”

A few minutes later, Maru returned to Alex and expressed a giant sigh. “Well, I just missed Harvey, so I called him. He said if I wanted to I could go ahead and give you the check-up or have you wait until he returns. Something tells me you don’t feel like waiting...”
    “So?” Alex encouragingly asked.
    With a flat look, Maru decided to give in to her friend’s wish, even though it was not exactly what she wanted to do. Well...maybe a little, but, No! If he wasn’t dating Haley maybe she’d feel differently; more willing. However, he was sacrificing himself to protect her, so the least she could do was grant him his wish. “I guess I can give you the check-up...,” she sulked, standing before him again, “even though my skills are a little rusty.”
    “Yeah right…”
    “Open your mouth and say ‘Ahh,’” she abruptly ordered.
    “Yes, ma’am!” He clasped his hands behind his back and did just that, enjoying the soft, gentle touch of Maru’s finger beneath his chin, lifting it slightly as she took a look.

51714027598_823bf415a3_c.jpg

“Hmm,” she observed, “I didn’t know you got your tonsils removed…”

51714427844_35bff14073_c.jpg

“Yeah. Apparently they got super inflamed when I was three so my parents had the doc take them out. My mom said I would snore like the dickens!”
    “Did you know that they remove people’s uvula also to alleviate snoring?”
    “What!? No way!”
    “It’s true.”
    “Why would they do that? That thing’s cool! The inside of a person’s mouth doesn’t look right without it!”
    Maru chuckled, agreeing.

“Alrighty,” she sighed, grabbing Harvey’s stethoscope from the nearby table, “let’s listen to your heart, oh!” She remembered, turning around to look. “I need a pen and paper to write all this down.”
    “Alright,” Alex acknowledged, pulling his shirt up over his head and dropping it onto the floor.
    When Maru turned around, she was met with Alex’s bare, very fine chest. For a moment it threw her off guard. “Uhh,” she blinked, trying to remove her eyes from it. “You didn’t have to take your shirt off...I can listen to your heart just fine with it on.”
    Alex gave her a counteracting, flirtatious look. “Well...you gotta attach those monitoring things on me later right? So I figured I might as well remove it now.”
    “...Okay.” Her heart fluttered as they held each other’s gaze. It suddenly felt warmer in the room and sweat began to form on her brow.

51714427994_ae6df10312_c.jpg

“Actually, sit down,” she kindly ordered. It seemed the appropriate thing for him to do. She rubbed the end of the diaphragm on her pant leg to warm it up and then applied it to his chest, listening carefully.

The longer she listened, the faster his heart pumped; same with hers. She swallowed a couple of times, trying not to look into his eyes again and be the professional that she was.
    “You alright?” Alex asked for some reason. Perhaps he noticed her developing sweat.

51714636065_0bcf06c7e6_c.jpg

“Yeah...Just listening. Take a deep breath.”

His heart sounded healthy and strong, pumping normally. She didn’t expect otherwise.

Standing up straighter, she applied the diaphragm to his back to listen to his lungs. They too sounded clear and healthy.

51714636680_d03670de30_c.jpg

She then jotted down a few notes on the notepad and proceeded to check his pulse. It was good.
    “Now let’s try out the blood pressure cuff I just rigged up!” she said with glee.
    “Oh you made that?” he asked as she wrapped it around his arm.
    “Yep. They don’t have any here. Can you believe that?”
    “No. Weird!”
    “Yep. Okay,” she paused, to apply the diaphragm again, “relax. Breathe normally.” In her other hand she pumped the blub.
    “Gee if I didn’t know otherwise, you ARE a doctor.”
    “Shh.”
    He smiled while looking down and watching the cuff gradually squeeze at his arm. He always liked to do that since he was a kid.

51714428364_6c175343f0_c.jpg

“So give it to me straight Doc, how bad is my blood pressure?” he teased.
    “Oh you!” she expressed, ripping the cuff off. She did it rougher than she normally would, but it was all in good fun. “115 over 78. Perfect! No surprise there, really.”
    “See,” he cheeky grinned, “I’m the perfect specimen.”
    “I thought you were trying to change that vain behavior…”
    “Hey now…,” he partly frowned. “You’re harsh sometimes, you know that?”
    “Only when I’m around you.”
    He gave her a look.
    “I’m sorry,” she expressed. “Guess that’s something I need to work on too...”
    “Nah...you gotta keep your sassiness. You wouldn’t be Maru without it.” He smiled. “At least to me.”
    Maru tried very hard not to blush again. How many times had she done that already? “I guess you wouldn’t be you without a little pride in yourself either,” she smiled back.

“So how does Haley feel about you doing this?” she changed the subject as she pulled out an ophthalmoscope she made from a lighted pen and prepared to look into his eyes with it.
    “Actually…,” he paused, growing nervous the closer she got with the gadget. “I didn’t tell her.”
    “What? Why?”
    “She would’ve tried to stop me.”
    “Well I certainly can’t blame her, if it was my boyfriend,” she expressed, looking into his eye.

Alex kind of liked hearing that from her and also the touch of her fingers near his ear as she held his head steady. They teased his senses. He dreamily gazed into her distracted eyes for a moment as she switched over to his other eye.

“You’re not going to poke me in the eye with that thing are you?”
    “I don't know. I just might if you keep looking at me like that…”

51714428954_5975ce8ce7_c.jpg

He gaped. “How am I looking at you?”
    She hesitated to say it. “Like...you want to kiss me or something…,” she answered, stepping back a ways from him.

That was an unexpected response. He certainly didn’t mean to give her that kind of look amidst his admiration. Of course, if he’d been a single guy, that wouldn’t have been far from the truth; the temptation was definitely present.
    “No,” he corrected, “I was just noticing how long your hair has gotten. I like it.” He smiled. “Like how it was in high school.”
    Maru froze as she met his gaze. “You remember my long hair?”
    “Yeah.”
    She smiled, probably blushing again. Wow.
    “But you cut it back in...what was it? Senior year?”
    “No, junior year.”
    “Why?”
    She shrugged. “Just got sick of managing it. Plus it always got in the way while I was inventing stuff.”
    He tittered. “You know you could always pull it back like you have it now.”
    “I would, but it would still fall out and get in the way because it was so long and thick!”
    Now he chuckled. “Well you should keep it a little long at least. It looks good on you.”
    “Thanks.”

51713766516_e972814d0f_c.jpg

“Well,” Maru sighed, finishing up her notes. “Your vitals are good. Everything is recorded. I’m going to call Harvey and let him know all the specifics.”
    “Okay,” Alex acknowledged, kicking his dangling feet like a child. “I’ll just be...sitting here.”
    Maru shook her head with a grin as she held the phone up to her ear.

Harvey gave the Ok for Alex to take the antibiotic and advised that he be well hydrated and have a little food in his stomach beforehand. So Maru and Alex chatted a bit while he drank a couple of glasses of water and ate a snack in between. He then retreated to the bathroom. Upon his return, he sat back down on the edge of the table and noticed that Maru dressed it up with a sheet and some pillows for him to lay on. He appreciated that. Then she held out a glass of water to him in one hand and a white pill in the palm of the other. “Well, here ya go,” she sighed.
    “Thanks,” he nervously said, taking the pill from her, then the glass. He blew out a breath.
    “Are you sure you still feel comfortable doing this? There’s no shame if you want to back out. I won’t judge you.”
    A few seconds passed before he answered. “Yeah. I’m pretty sure I’ll be alright.”
    “I'm confident you will be too. The side effects will be mild if anything…”
    “It comforts me to hear you say it.” He smiled. “Well...here goes nothing.” He popped the pill into his mouth and drank it down. It tasted bad which made his mouth twist into a grimace.

“Okay, so now I’m going to hook you up to the machine--”
    “That sounds so weird!”
    “I know,” she chuckled, placing the sensors on various different areas of his torso, using medical tape to secure them “And I’ll manually check your BP every thirty minutes. Unfortunately I couldn’t quite add that feature to the machine…”
    “It’s all good, you know you’re still awesome.”
    She grinned at the compliment.

“Now you need to let me know,” she paused to turn the machine on, “if you feel strange in ANY way; I don’t care what it is. You have to let me know so I can document it.”
    “Alright Doctor…”
    “Quit calling me that! I’m a Scientist,” she stressed, lightly punching at his arm.
    “Chill out.” He playfully punched back.

A little over a half hour into it, Alex informed Maru that he felt a little lightheaded so she had him lie down. An hour later he developed a low-grade fever. By this time Harvey had returned from his time out with Penny and took a quick look at Alex’s current vitals and stayed with Maru to monitor his condition.

Alex began drifting off to sleep as his temperature continued to rise. Beads of sweat formed on his brow and his breathing grew short. Maru rubbed at her neck feeling great concern, unable to take her eyes off the numbers on the monitor. She couldn’t help uttering a prayer, feeling guilty for practically making him feel the need to do this.

51712975267_e3d6e33c85_c.jpg

His heart rate and blood pressure stayed elevated. It was time to take his temperature again.

Harvey returned after stepping into the bathroom. “How’s he doing?” he asked Maru, peering at the monitor.
    She shook her head as she lowered the thermometer. “His temperature is still rising. It’s approaching 102 now.”
    The Doctor nodded in acknowledgement. “Let’s do what we can to get his temperature down naturally and check it every ten minutes. It should ease up. If it doesn’t, we’ll give him a fever reducer.” He was still leery about combining the medications.
    “Yes Doctor…”

Harvey gently patted Maru’s back in comfort, hearing the distress in her voice and breaths. “He’s going to be alright. He’s a tough kid.”
    All she could do was nod, drawing her upper lip between her teeth to hide her emotions. She couldn’t help taking Alex’s hand in hers and squeezing it, imploring him to pull through. Then something important dawned on her. “We should let Haley know what’s going on…”
    “She doesn’t know?”
    “No...Alex didn’t tell her he offered to test out the drug because he knew she’d stop him.”
    “Geez. I’ll give her a call right now,” Harvey said as he dialed.

Haley was none too thrilled to learn about what Alex did and what was going on with him, but regardless she came to Alex's side immediately and helped to get his temperature down with ice cold compresses while Maru and Harvey continued with the monitoring.

They did end up having to give Alex a fever reducer. He woke momentarily to answer some questions about how he was feeling, but quickly drifted off again. His vitals soon returned to normal.

Over the next few days Alex’s body gradually adjusted to the medicine, experiencing less and less side effects just like how it was with the rabbit. Everyone was relieved, especially Alex. He gained a lot of praise for his bravery. Haley, however, rebuked him about it, but ultimately gave him the same praise.

Maru certainly viewed Alex in a whole new light and she was very proud of him. More so than all the rest.

Stay tuned for the Chapter finale everyone! :mrgreen:
    edited November 2021
    Update #2 on this fine day for your reading pleasure y'all. :blush:

Enjoy the grand, time passing finale of Chapter 16! :star:

Chapter 16 Finale

The end of the last three months...

Previously, when Alex had been down sick, Haley shared some digital copies of the photos she took on her camera with Sam. The android at the photo studio gave her physical and digital copies which she thought was super cool. Someday when the whole of Stardew Valley becomes more technologically advanced, that’s what I’m going to offer customers with my photo packages! was her thought.

“Wow Haley, these are incredible!” Sam admired. “You’re a really GOOD photographer!”
    “Oh…,” she waved off with a blush.
    “No seriously, you sure know how to capture stuff...in the most perfect way,” he ended with a twisted grin. “Sorry, that sounded kinda cheesy. I’m not the best at describing things.”
    “It's okay, it was very sweet,” she grinned. “Thank you.” Then she held the phone up to him again. “This pose you rocked is totally amazing! It's almost like you've had prior experience in modeling.” And you look hot! she really wanted to add.

51714560563_4bec3e4049_c.jpg

Sam stared at her for a moment with a beaming smile. “Totally amazing?” he inquired. “Don’t you mean ‘totes amaze?’”

51714561493_44acbbba21_c.jpg

“Oh...uh…,” she blushed, shyly meeting his gaze. “I was thinking I should...do away with some of that slang you know? So I sound more professional and...mature.” Her eyes finally met his, shining with determination.

51714959534_b21c61b274_c.jpg

He was impressed and his arched eyebrow said as much. “I see. Well that’s great! Although you gotta keep saying ‘adorbs’ because it sounds, well, adorable!” They laughed. “It works. But yeah ‘totes’ is a good one to ditch. I mean, I hear the word tote and I think plastic bins!”
    Haley burst out laughing.
    “Throws me for a loop every dang time!”
    “Oh hey! You’re back to not cursing,” she winked.
    “I never stopped,” he responded with a smirk. “Someone just caused me to have one accidental slip up.”
    “Suuuuure,” she teased as they playfully bumped each other’s shoulders.

51713508147_a68e5b491c_c.jpg

The two were really beginning to enjoy each other’s company tremendously and it was hard to go a day without seeing each other.

It was also hard for it to not feel so wrong to feel that way.

One afternoon at the ladies house, Alex and Haley were casually sitting on the couch upstairs partly watching some random reality TV show. Alex was mostly browsing on his phone while Haley picked at her nails in boredom. Usually in a boring moment like this one of them was more than happy to suggest “playing around” in the bedroom, but in the past few weeks...neither felt in the mood for it. In fact, their desire to engage in the act had calmed down considerably since the bar scene. Both just chalked it up to going through a rough patch, like most couples do, and expected the flame to rekindle soon. It seemed to be taking a little longer than expected.

51715166770_754e969e2b_c.jpg

The show highlighted a day in the life of “giant families” and one mother was asked, “How do you get fifteen kids ready for school in the morning? I mean, do you have to wake up at four?”
    The mother laughed before responding as the camera shifted toward half of the unruly kids, running rampant in the kitchen and knocking everything over in their wake.

Haley very slowly shook her head and uttered in dead seriousness, “I’d kill myself if I had that many kids…”
    Alex glanced up at the scene on the TV and tittered, practically agreeing. However he had to throw in a positive by saying, “I hear it’s different when they’re your own.”
    “Well I wouldn’t know because I ain’t having any kids.”

51715166865_87aae8ff14_c.jpg

Suddenly Alex’s head shot up from his phone, baffled by what she just said. It was as if he’d been struck by a cannonball and it was gradually sinking into his stomach. “What?” he asked, turning his face to her.
    Sensing his surprise - and not sure why - Haley looked back at him. “Yeah...I thought you knew that Alex.”
    “No.”
    Her mouth hung open for a second as she shifted her weight more towards him. “Remember senior year when we were talking about our futures with our friends and I mentioned that I don’t like kids so I won’t be having any? I totally remember you saying you didn’t want any either.”
    “No I said I didn’t want any right NOW,” he corrected, “cause I’m still kinda young, but...that didn’t mean I never want to be a dad.” He gave her the most dumbfounded look she’d ever seen.
    “Ohhh,” her voice trailed off as realization kicked in. “You want kids…” Now her stomach sank into her gut.

51715166965_7f707ab6fb_c.jpg

“I guess...there was a bit of a misunderstanding there...on both accounts,” Alex mumbled.

The two stared off into nothingness. Their relationship, as they always knew it to be, started crumbling.

“You really don’t want kids? Ever?” Alex managed to get out, as painful as it was.
    “...No,” came the whispered reply. “I don’t.”

Alex buried his face into his hands, gripping at his forehead with his fingers. The future he always dreamed of having with her, for as long as he could remember, that had been so close to becoming a reality, suddenly got swept away with the wind. With no hope of ever getting it back. His devastated heart, pierced by a phantom dagger, struggled to beat. Tears of sadness and anger 🐸🐸🐸🐸’kled behind his eyelids. “I can’t believe this…”
    “Alex, I--”
    “So what else is there Haley, huh?” he asked, lowering his hands. “What else have you been keeping from me?”
    “Nothing!”
    “Oh really? Cause I don’t feel like I know you anymore...”

51713508557_11cd7f26fd_c.jpg

After that, the conversation escalated as pent up feelings, emotions, and annoyances toward each other were shared. And with the other person trying to defend themselves, it developed into a big, heated argument. A fight unlike any they ever had before, which weren’t many.

51714960149_fa7323c2d8_c.jpg

51714562418_2b0f2257dd_c.jpg

51714562533_bdb840959b_c.jpg

51714562753_a41d0d57d7_c.jpg

“I have been NOTHING but faithful to you this ENTIRE time!” Alex exclaimed.

51715167655_b3268d6d9f_c.jpg

“You think I haven’t!?” Haley shot back.
    “Oh I dunno, what with all the time you’ve been spending with Sam lately I wouldn’t be surprised if the two of you have gotten a little cozy with each other…”
    Haley gaped at the audacity. “Sam has NOTHING to do with this!”
    “Oh really? Cause last I checked he’s the reason everything went south between us!”
    “I already told you I’m sorry about that Alex. How many times do I have to say it for you to believe me!?”

51714563028_86c4d64d7a_c.jpg

Just then Maru inadvertently walked in on the scene, heading for her and Abigail’s bedroom, and froze at the couple yelling at each other. She darted behind the nearest wall and pressed her back against it, gasping for breath. Thankfully the couple didn’t see her.

A big part of her felt it appropriate to go right back downstairs and give them their privacy, but another part...couldn’t resist sticking around to find out what was going on. She’d never seen those two fight in all the years she’d known them. Her curiosity got the better of her and her ears naturally perked up as she listened.

51714563133_933026f384_c.jpg

“You’re a habitual flirt! That’s what the problem is.”
    “So are you!”
    “Hardly!”
    “Oh, so if I ask if you’ve been flirting with Maru on the sidelines during your many get togethers you’re gonna deny it? I’ve seen the way you’ve been looking at her lately!”

Maru held a hand to her racing heart, closing her eyes. Maybe she didn’t want to, or should be, hearing this.

“I--,” Alex’s voice cracked.
    “Answer the question!”
    “...Okay YES! I’d flirt with her a little, alright! But I’d never let it go beyond that. My heart has always belonged to you Haley. I love you! I would never, ever cheat on you! I’m not that kind of guy!”
    “And I’m not that kind of girl either, believe it or not!” She folded her arms for emphasis.
    “I believe you…”
    “But you’re acting like you don’t!”

51714560808_3d1ed22898_c.jpg

The arguing continued, until it sizzled down a bit; when Alex finally allowed the sadness to take over.

51714563213_0bdf976491_c.jpg

“But you love me. Isn’t that enough to change your mind about having kids with me?” he tearfully asked.

51715168080_50c9a4da52_c.jpg

His emotions tugged strongly at Haley’s emotions and no longer could she stay silent. It wasn’t fair to him...and she wasn’t falling in love with him no matter how hard she tried. Tears weighed upon her eyelids as her heart pounded so hard against her chest it hurt.

“I - I do love you Alex...but,” her lip quivered, “not in that way,” she finally revealed. A tear slid down her cheek. “I don’t know why...and I’m sorry I didn’t tell you earlier. I’m just...really really sorry…”

51714961079_b3b3cf6fc8_c.jpg

Utterly shocked and now emotionally numb by the revelation, Alex lowered his gaze from her with a shattered heart.

The thick, devastating silence in the room confirmed the end of an era.

“...I think you should go…”

Haley’s chest tightened. “What? No...” She stepped closer.
    But his hand stopped her. “It’s over. We’re over. Leave me alone.” He couldn’t look at her anymore.
    “Alex I'm sorry I--”
    “LEAVE!” he boomed.

51714563508_8d36a3e3f2_c.jpg

Stomping her foot as if to prevent the flood of tears, Haley sharply turned on her heel and ran toward the stairs sobbing.

51715168360_1bb08e902d_c.jpg

Maru watched Haley stagger down them with a feeling of deep sympathy.

51715168450_3665c0bc07_c.jpg

At the base of the stairs, Haley stopped in her tracks sniffing and spluttering which immediately caught the attention of her sister and Shane while exiting their bedroom.
    “Woah…,” Shane expressed at the sight of her.
    “Haley!? What’s wrong?” Emily concernedly asked. It’d been years since she’d seen her sister cry. Clearly something awful just happened.

“I don’t wanna talk about it,” she answered, wiping at her tears. At least not to her sister and her boyfriend.

51715165830_50949e94b7_c.jpg

Normally in times like these, she would run into Alex’s arms for comfort. But she couldn’t do that; and probably never would again. “I just need some time alone.” And with that she grabbed her boots and coat by the front door and bolted out of it.

Upstairs, Maru carefully approached Alex - leaned over with his face in his hand - and gently sat down beside him. He peeked over for a second to see who it was then buried his face into his hand again. His shoulders shook as he sobbed. Maru affectionately ran her hand up and down his back for comfort. A minute passed until she asked, “Do you want to talk about it?”

51714563818_4cf007a433_c.jpg

51714563748_135ea60bd5_c.jpg

“No,” came the abrupt response as he stood up and promptly exited the room.

That stung a bit, but Maru could certainly understand. When he was gone from sight, she lowered her head and sighed.

51713510027_63d7100c40_c.jpg

Sam had tirelessly been working on a new song for the past couple of days, but was hitting a massive roadblock with it. He finally decided to give it a rest and watch some possibly inspiring music videos on his phone while relaxing on his bed. Just as he was about to nod off, someone burst into his bedroom crying. His eyes shot open with a start.

“Haley? What’s the matter?”
    “Alex and I broke up!” she spluttered.

51714563948_ff34ca93b0_c.jpg

“What!?” he exclaimed, jumping from the bed and coming to her. “I'm so sorry to hear that. Why?” he asked with a nervous gulp.
    “I dunno!” she sniffled. “It all happened so fast! One minute we’re chilling on the couch watching some TV show about fifteen kids and then the next minute we’re fighting over the fact that I don’t want kids and then we start fighting about all this other s**t and then...we...break up!” She wailed into his shoulder.
    “Shhh,” he hushed, taking her into his arms. “Just breathe...it’s gonna be alright. Breathe...”

51715169075_bac6f0dcab_c.jpg

After a few seconds of silence…

“I don’t know what went wrong,” she continued to cry. “I mean, I kinda do, but I thought we’d just work through it cause...it’s Alex! He’s my best friend! We’ve always been able to patch things up. Only this time,” she shook her head, “I don’t think we will.” She held a hand to her rapidly contracting chest. “It hurts so much Sam because I didn’t just lose a boyfriend…I’ve lost my best friend in the world!”
    “Shhh,” he consoled again, rocking her, “don’t think like that. I mean, sure it’s gonna be rough between you two for a while, but it’ll eventually blow over and you’ll be friends again. I’m sure of it.”
    “I dunno…I’ve broken his heart. I tried to love him the way he loves me, I just,” she sniffed, “dunno why I couldn’t...”
    “It’s okay…”

51714962014_a642f81e77_c.jpg

After a few more seconds of silence in each other’s arms…

“Am I a horrible person for not wanting to have kids?” she asked him, staring blankly at the floor.

51714564323_bf65633092_c.jpg

“No,” he sincerely answered, giving her an affectionate squeeze. “Not at all. It’s a tough job, and it’s not for everyone.”

51714962199_0b6d1e960d_c.jpg

“I’d be an awful parent…”
    “No you wouldn’t…”
    “Yes I would.” She looked up at him. “Because I don’t click with kids. They annoy me and I don’t feel any sort of bond with them at all.”
    “That’s okay,” he soothed, caressing her chin. “It doesn’t mean you’re a bad person.”

51714300246_458ee3a93c_c.jpg

Gulping, she bravely asked him, “Do you want kids?”

Sam drew in a breath. “Honestly, I could go either way,” was his response. “The career I want to pursue would make it very difficult to raise children and...I wouldn’t want to put all that responsibility on my wife.” Like his dad unintentionally did to his mom, and he witnessed that struggle she tried to suppress for as long as he could remember. “And I’d feel bad not being there enough. So, it’s not something that’s a deal breaker for me. I’d be happy with my girl either way.”

Upon hearing that, Haley’s frown grew into a bright smile. Oh how much those words healed her aching heart, and how much she needed to hear it. She wrapped her arms around him again and hugged him tightly. Sam didn’t quite expect that reaction, but he liked it.

“Thank you Sam.”
    “You’re welcome Haley. Anytime.”

51713507677_07c7e92700_c.jpg

“Would you like me to play you a song?” he asked as they broke their embrace. “Help you feel better?”

51713507902_3381098720_c.jpg

She grinned, loving his thoughtfulness. Somehow he always knew exactly what to say to make everything better. “Yeah. That’d be great!”

51714560323_9418eb1233_c.jpg

That's a wrap for Chapter 16 everyone. :mrgreen: It was a bittersweet one to write for sure.

I tried to come up with a good break up song that I haven't already used in a story before, but...I got nothing. Mostly because the chapter ends on somewhat of a high note. ;)
    But really the best one that applies is once again "Don't Speak" by Gwen Stefani/No Doubt. (Though it is a woman singing, I feel it more applies to Alex's feelings). Crank up the volume and give it an intent listen. :heartbreak:

Or I could just throw in this Neil Sedaka gem, but it's certainly not as deep. :lol:

Gonna be a rough time ahead for Alex that's for sure. :cry: Stay tuned! Thank you for reading! <3
    @emorrill

This was a good ending to the chapter!
    Full of drama, character growth, and the like.
    The fight and breakup between Hayley and Alex were
    really well done. I love the crying mod you use looks so realistic.

As I have said before you do find really good poses.
    Alex shirtless is always a nice view.
    Sam actually listened to Hayley and that is why I think the both of them
    fits so well together, she and Alex just want different things in life.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

@emorrill I loved both of these updates and was so happy to see Alex finally free of Haley! I know he will hurt because he did truly love her but she was not right for him. I'm happy that Haley finally grew up enough to be honest with him about not loving him like he loved her. Ok, with that said, on with the rest of the comments. :grin:

Congrats to Harvey and Maru on their breakthrough. That is certainly a major accomplishment for them and knowing it also kills cockroaches is a good side effect! :grin:
    I didn't really expect anyone to volunteer since no incentives like cash, cash and more cash. :lol:
    I was kinda proud of Alex stepping up not wanting Maru to test it on herself.
    He's right about him being the healthiest.

Totally loved the examination scenes! LOL it is possible to listen to hearts without shirts off, :grin: but that view was certainly worth it!
    You did an awesome job with the accessories and I will remember that if I ever need something in a picture that I can 't find.
    Poor Alex had a rough time with just one antibiotic tablet. Perhaps they need to reformulate it to a safer dosage. :confounded:

It is good to see Haley changing her conversation to more adult rather than all that slang.
    Sorry Sam, adorbs is creepy too!
    Sheesh dang is not a curse word, even the forum didn't change it. :lol:

Ya know, it doesn't really matter whether Alex wanted kids or not, she didn't love him and that is the deal breaker and she knew it for quite some time, but didn't bother trying to tell him.

I sure hope Haley is not so selfish to expect Alex to go back to being her best friend. Sam is wrong, it doesn't blow over. Nothing will ever be the same again for them and it shouldn't. They both need to move on. I wouldn't want to be the other person in Alex's life or Haley's if they tried to be best friends.

It's a shame that Alex couldn't let Maru comfort him but the hurt was too much for him.

Haley on the other hand seemed to get over it pretty quick, but I expected that. :smirk:
  • meerkattimemeerkattime Posts: 261 Member
    @emorrill
    Hi! I've been a bit busy, and now I have two updates to read :blush: . I have a cup of coffee next to me and I'm getting ready (oh, and as a reply to your previous question, no, we don't have moon pies either :bawling: , and that s'more in the picture looks yummy :yum: even though I don't really eat much sweet stuff).

Hmm, this sounds worrisome. Cockroaches are not all that weak - if the antibiotic kills one of them, I'm worried about the sim to test it :# . But I have a feeling Alex will do it for Maru (and for the greater good of course ;) ).
    I see Harvey is worried too. I hope they'll manage to test the medicine safely.
    Oh no, poor unlucky rabbit :( ! I love rabbits! <3
    I'm glad to hear the bunny made it :# . And that it a good sign that the antibiotic might be safe enough to test on humans as well.
    Ha, I knew Alex would do it! It's not only a selfless act that he's doing for all the group, but it's kinda romantic that he wants to do it so Maru wouldn't have to ;) .
    Alex's chest does look mighty fine :smirk: . Those stomach muscles :love: ! And I like the little stripe of hair on his belly.
    Maru is very direct telling Alex that he looks like he wants to kiss her :open_mouth: . Although I'm sure he does ;) .
    So there it goes - I hope Alex won't get any side effects :confounded: . At least he's got Maru caring for him.
    Fever doesn't sound good at all. But I'm confident he will be fine!
    If I was Haley, I would be quite mad at Alex too not having told me what he was going to do :| .
    Good to hear Alex is getting better! Although if he, being as healthy and strong as he is, gets that bad reaction to the antibiotic, I still wonder what it would do to weaker and sick people :s .

Update 2:
    Once again I have to say that Haley is such a beautiful sim.
    Lol @ "tote" making Sam think about plastic bins.
    Looks like things are definitely not going well for Alex and Haley since the flame between them is already fading... It's of course because both of them have a crush on someone else, but neither one of them admits it anyway. Playing around in the bedroom was the one thing that glued them together as a couple, and now they don't have even that left.
    Ok, things are getting much worse now... Wanting to have kids or not wanting to have them is a definitely a thing couples must agree about, because otherwise one of them is just going to end up bitter.
    I don't think Alex is fair though, blaming Haley for having kept that from him - if the last time they talked about the topic was in their senior year and that's when Haley said she doesn't want any kids, she hasn't been keeping it from him. He shouldn't have assumed that her mind has changed. I guess they should have discussed the topic sooner.
    Regardless of the fact that I know where this is going and I want it to go exactly that way, it's still sad to see Alex and Haley fighting :( .
    Ouch. There came the truth from Haley :s . Alex must feel awful now :'( .
    I feel bad for Haley too though, although I understand why Alex is feeling so hurt :s . Everybody would feel very hurt in his place :( . Haley waited way too long to tell him this.
    Looks like Sam and Haley are one step closer to getting into a relationship with each other. At least they don't have the issue of one wanting to have kids and the other one not. And Sam is a great friend to Haley too, comforting her like that.
    Sorry it took me a bit to respond to your lovely comments ladies. :blush:

@Silverofdreams30
    This was a good ending to the chapter!
    Full of drama, character growth, and the like.
    The fight and breakup between Hayley and Alex were
    really well done.
    ^Thank you so much. <3
    I make it a point to find good poses. :smirk: I dunno if it was you I said that to or someone else. :p
    Sam actually listened to Hayley and that is why I think the both of them fits so well together, she and Alex just want different things in life.
    ^Exactly! In my opinion Sam shines in this finale. :star: He could've easily kissed Haley, in her vulnerable state, to provide comfort and she probably would've welcomed it, but he didn't. He respected her feelings, and he respects her. I think she needs a man in her life that truly respects her. I'm not saying Alex didn't to a point, but...you know what I mean. ;) It makes me happy that you recognized that. :)
    Thanks for the sweet comments and I'm glad you enjoyed it. :kissing_heart:

@bekkasan
    I loved both of these updates and was so happy to see Alex finally free of Haley!
    ^ :lol: 🙌 I had a strong feeling you would love both updates. ;)
    Ultimately no, she wasn't right for Alex. And yes, big kudos to her for being honest. There's hope for her yet isn't there? :smirk:;):p
    Congrats to Harvey and Maru on their breakthrough. That is certainly a major accomplishment for them and knowing it also kills cockroaches is a good side effect! :grin:
    ^Yes! Hee hee! I hate those buggers... And Harvey and Maru are, to put it simply, amazing! :star:
    I didn't really expect anyone to volunteer since no incentives like cash, cash and more cash. :lol:
    ^Right!? :joy: I didn't think about that.....
    I was kinda proud of Alex stepping up not wanting Maru to test it on herself.
    ^Yeah. <3 I think it's Alex's growing love for Maru that was a big motivator in wanting to protect her from the negative affects of the drug. Maybe even to impress her. :blush: (You know this, I'm just voicing it. :p )
    Totally loved the examination scenes! LOL it is possible to listen to hearts without shirts off, :grin: but that view was certainly worth it!
    ^ :smirk: I have a feeling you were like this:
    vintage-day-dreaming.gif
    You did an awesome job with the accessories and I will remember that if I ever need something in a picture that I can 't find.
    ^Thank you. <3 Oh boy...I'll see what I could do for you if that time ever comes. My skills are still a bit rusty. :lol: You're sweet. :kissing_heart:
    I agree that they might need to adjust the antibiotic formula if they can so it's safer. 👍
    Sheesh dang is not a curse word, even the forum didn't change it. :lol:
    ^Oh Haley was just teasing him because she was impressed he didn't say da'mn and that he's still working on not cursing. If the forum censored words like Dang, I think I'd have to be outta here. :confounded:;):p
    Ya know, it doesn't really matter whether Alex wanted kids or not, she didn't love him and that is the deal breaker and she knew it for quite some time, but didn't bother trying to tell him.
    ^This is true. :star: It also shows that they didn't communicate very well in their relationship either, despite Penny giving Alex that very sage advise at the bar when he was worried about their relationship... *sigh*
    I sure hope Haley is not so selfish to expect Alex to go back to being her best friend. Sam is wrong, it doesn't blow over. Nothing will ever be the same again for them and it shouldn't. They both need to move on. I wouldn't want to be the other person in Alex's life or Haley's if they tried to be best friends.
    ^I love this! And YES! :star:
    I'll admit it was a little hard for me to have Alex say "No" so abruptly to Maru about talking about it, but the better part of me knew that he was hurting terribly and was not ready to talk about it, perhaps especially to her. I'm sure he'll be ready someday. ;)
    I think it's a given that Haley is going to get over the breakup quicker than Alex, which doesn't make her a horrible person. She's been finding her true and better self being around Sam. :blush: (Again, you know this too. ;) )
    LOVED your comments! They filled me with happy, cause I could sense your joy in reading it <3 and the points you made were spot on! Thank you. :kissing_heart:

@meerkattime What have you been busy with? ;):p I'm glad I could provide two new updates for you. :blush:
    No Moon Pies over there even? :open_mouth: Dang...well I'm sure the right time will show up someday when you can try some S'mores. It's good you don't eat a lot of sweet stuff. :star: I wish I could say the same about myself...
    Anyhoo!
    I'm worried about the sim to test it :# . But I have a feeling Alex will do it for Maru (and for the greater good of course ;) ).
    ^I smiled brightly when you said this because I was thinking, "She's getting ahead of herself, and she's sensed some hidden traits about these characters," which makes me feel happy as the writer to see. :blush:
    I love rabbits too. ;) For some reason it was the first animal that came to my mind. :lol:
    Ha, I knew Alex would do it! It's not only a selfless act that he's doing for all the group, but it's kinda romantic that he wants to do it so Maru wouldn't have to ;) .
    ^YES! :mrgreen: Hee hee!
    Alex's chest does look mighty fine :smirk: . Those stomach muscles :love: ! And I like the little stripe of hair on his belly.
    ^Hee hee hee, again. :smirk: My brother's would call that a "happy trail." :joy:
    Maru is very direct telling Alex that he looks like he wants to kiss her :open_mouth: .
    ^You know, when I wrote that in I had a feeling it was a bit too direct of a comment from Maru.....but then I thought about how she's always been direct with him so, perhaps it would be realistic of her to say. ;) Maybe her suppressed feelings of very much welcoming a kiss from him encouraged her to say it. :smirk::p
    Yep, totally totally understandable for Haley to have been mad at Alex for keeping that decision from her. **Hard nod**
    Although if he, being as healthy and strong as he is, gets that bad reaction to the antibiotic, I still wonder what it would do to weaker and sick people :s .
    ^You and Bekkasan are on the same page about that and I agree. Looks like they need to rework the formula after all. :) I wasn't gonna write in anything more about the antibiotic, but I just might for you and Bekkasan. :blush: Cause I like to do stuff like that.
    Once again I have to say that Haley is such a beautiful sim.
    ^Thank you. <3 I think so too. When I was posing her on the couch there and zoomed in on her face I had the exact same thought. :star: I'm waiting on Kevin's thoughts about it. :smirk: Lol!
    Lol @ "tote" making Sam think about plastic bins.
    ^Yeppers! We always called them totes in my life! :lol:

To everything else you said, I was nodding my head like, "Yep and yep. Uh huh. Exactly!" ;)
    The break up illustrated that they were never in a mature relationship...and they didn't communicate well with each other at all, even before they got together. It was a relationship mostly based on sex - like you mentioned - that was doomed to fail. That's the vibe I instantly got when playing Stardew and I found out Alex and Haley had crushes on each other. I think it was another area where the creator was like, "Have your farmer come in and steal one of these two because they aren't right for each other." ;) Do you think that perhaps maybe the Wizard saw that too? :smirk:
    Okay...I must not get ahead of myself. Ahem! :p:lol:
    It is sad to witness a couple break up. :cry: And yes Alex is heartbroken and he'll be pretty bummed about it for a while. :pensive: Poor sexy guy...
    Looks like Sam and Haley are one step closer to getting into a relationship with each other. At least they don't have the issue of one wanting to have kids and the other one not. And Sam is a great friend to Haley too, comforting her like that.
    ^Like I said to Silver above, Sam is the one that shines in this finale. :star: And don't he and Haley look super ADORBS! (sorry :joy: ) together in that last picture!? <3<3 I took it and I was like, "Awwwww! That shows that she is his girl!" :blush:
    Thank you so much for the wonderful comments and I'm glad you enjoyed it even though it was a little sad. :kissing_heart:

@KevinL5275 Just waiting on your thoughts now. :p I'm kinda anxious because I know you don't really care for this... ;):kissing_heart: 🤗

I can't wait to share more! :mrgreen: I haven't even worked on the outline yet... :grimace: Cause I gotta be honest everyone, I'm a little lost as to what to have happen next, to lead into the ending, even though I have a couple of ideas. I'll work it out. :blush: Thank you always for your continued support and encouragement. It keeps me going when I feel like I'm in a rut!

<3
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited December 2021
    All this shirtless Alex pics, when do we see a shirtless Haley pic? >:)
    I kid, I kid!! (no pun intended)

Woo, Haley and I have something in common, I never wanted kids either. I'm just not wired that way. :#

Maru's hair looks great, you do always find the best accessories and custom content. :mrgreen:

And Haley's hair at the beginning of Part 2.

Why does an antibiotic pill make you have a fever and chills? I guess my medical knowledge is lacking.

Of course I'm sad about Alex and Haley breaking up, wow lots of emotion there, good job. But it had to be done, I know..... :'(
    Post edited by KevinL5275 on
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
    edited December 2021
    @KevinL5275
    All this shirtless Alex pics, when do we see a shirtless Haley pic? >:)
    I kid, I kid!! (no pun intended)
    ^Ha ha! :joy: For you my friend, I would love to show some pictures of Haley like that for you. Buuuuuut...I'd get in major trouble for that. :p;)
    Oh yeah, I forgot you telling me that you aren't a kid guy either. (I take it your wife feels the same? ;) You don't have to answer that, I'm just making small talk. :kissing_heart: ) It's all good. 👍
    Maru's hair looks great, you do always find the best accessories and custom contest. :mrgreen:
    ^Thank you. :blush: I've been looking for some good long hairs for Maru...that will eventually look like the second one to the right on the bottom:
    Maru_Timeline.png
    (This is her character development look timeline on the Stardew Wiki. :) They have it for all the characters. It's very interesting to see how their looks evolved over the course of the game development. )
    I love that pulled back look on Haley in part 2 as well. :blush:
    Why does an antibiotic pill make you have a fever and chills? I guess my medical knowledge is lacking.
    ^Normally it doesn't. (I know I can feel a little blah when taking them, but I'm allergic to one of them) It's because it's a newly compounded med and needs some fine tuning. You're good not having any medical knowledge here. :) I certainly don't have much. :p
    Of course I'm sad about Alex and Haley breaking up, wow lots of emotion there, good job. But it had to be done, I know..... :'(
    ^Awww, I know. It is sad. :cry: I got a little teary-eyed when I wrote Haley revealing to him that she doesn't love him in that way...... I'm very attached to all these characters so what they feel, I feel. <3
    Thank you for the compliment (and comments), they warmed my heart. <3 I'm glad you still enjoy reading it. ;);)

SO HEY EVERYONE! :smiley:

Sorry, not trying to shout there, just trying to get your attention. ;)

My imagination went a little wild after transferring the story update to my Blog and...I couldn't shake feeling like I needed to add something a little more to the end where Haley tells Sam she would like to hear a song.

This is where my imagination went with it and...some of y'all might think it's totally cheesy or even lame, but...I think it is absolutely ADORABLE!!! <3 Fitting on so many levels, and I'm totally adding into the story on my blog! :star:

I quickly whipped this up this morning so, Enjoy! :mrgreen:

Chapter 16 ending add in...

51714560323_9418eb1233_c.jpg

As Sam started playing the intro to the song on the guitar, acoustic style, Haley recognized it instantly. It had been a while since she heard it. And oldie, but a goodie. A timeless classic in Stardew Valley; one she sometimes heard her parents listen to on old records as a child. It somewhat surprised her that he knew it, being more into Rock music, but being a musician, why wouldn't he?

"All the leaves are brown," he began to sing, "and the sky is gray. I've been for a walk, on a winter's day."
    How fitting, she thought, somewhat singing the back up vocals in her mind. It couldn't be helped. She shuddered to do it aloud, as she didn't consider herself a very good singer. Really, she just wanted to listen.
    "I'd be safe and warm, if I was in Calico..."
    Calico Desert, the biggest in the Valley.
    "Stardew Valley dreamin,' on such a winter's day!"

"Stopped in to a church," he continued to sing and strum, "I passed along the way. Well, I got down on my knees. And I pretend to pray." He turns and smiles at Haley and she grins. "You know the Preacher likes it cold, he knows I'm gonna stay. Stardew Valley dreamin,' on such a winter's day!"

Entering the solo part of the song where the flute so eloquently plays, there was obviously no flute so Sam just strummed and strummed, putting all his heart and soul into the music. But the flute played within Haley's mind and the power of the music began to resonate within her. Exciting her. No longer could she just sit and listen.

"All the leaves are brown," Sam sang again.
    Then Haley echoed as the backup singers would, "...All the leaves are brown."
    "And the sky is gray," he grinned.
    "And the sky is graaaay."
    "I've been for a..."
    "I've been for a waaaaalk."
    "...On a winter's day."
    "On a winter's daaaay."
    "If I didn't tell her..."
    "...I didn't tell her."
    "I could leave today..."
    "I could leave todaaaay..."
    "STARDEW VALLEY DREAMIN!" They belted out together. "ON SUCH A WINTER'S DAY!"

"Stardew Valley dreamin,' on such a winter's day! Stardew Valley dreamin,' on such a winter's DAAAAAAAAAAY!" And the hard strum on the strings ended it.

The two laughed joyously, slapping their hands on their legs.

"Oh my gosh!" Haley happily expressed, rubbing at her eyes.
    "Yeah!" Sam panted. "That was FUN!"
    "Totally! You rocked that oldie!"
    "...So did you."

She blushed and rested her head on his shoulder again, nuzzling it. Sam couldn't help pressing his head affectionately down on top of it. He soon played another song and that's how they spent the rest of the day together.

:blush:

Hee hee! Yes, I'm silly. But good at it. :p

Those of you who are unfamiliar with the song - I don't think there are many - here it is for your listening pleasure. :blush:
    Post edited by emorrill on
    My wife wanted kids, but it didn't work out for us. We're in our late 40's now, so that ship has sailed. :'(

I love that evolution of Maru, I will have to check out the one for Haley too. :mrgreen:

Of course I'm still reading and enjoying. You're a great story writer, girl! B) This one is awesome, but my favorite is still your christmas card story from two years ago. :D

Awesome awesome awesome (did I mention its awesome?) addition to the Sam/Haley story with the new song lyrics. Excellent job with that.

giphy.gif
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
    edited December 2021
    @KevinL5275
    Of course I'm still reading and enjoying. You're a great story writer, girl! B) This one is awesome, but my favorite is still your christmas card story from two years ago. :D

Awesome awesome awesome (did I mention its awesome?) addition to the Sam/Haley story with the new song lyrics. Excellent job with that.

<3 Awww, thank you so much. <3 You make me blush. :blush:;)
    It sure was fun to write in that little addition. :mrgreen: I was hitting replay on the song over and over and over again. :lol:

That's right, I remember you telling me my Christmas Card Story was your favorite. :grin: (I kinda love it too. ;)<3 ) I very much remember how much you enjoyed the scenes with Amber in it. :smirk:

I've improved upon the story a little bit, random blips here and there, especially since I've had a few people ask to read it after the fact. If you'd like to revisit it, since it's that time of year ;) , here's the link. :)
    Yeah, understandable situation between you and your wife and having kids. (((virtual hug))) It took us 5 years to get our miracle baby cause I have so many fertility issues. And *sigh* it just wasn't in the cards for us to have any more (and I'll be 40 just around the corner. :p ). But it's okay. It's what was meant to be. 👍 We're very thankful for our one bundle of joy who sure keeps our life interesting. :lol:<3 She's my little clone in so many ways and it's fun to see. :blush:

Anyway, thank you again. :) Hopefully I can get more of the story posted soon. 🤞
    Hey everyone.

I wanted to share this outtake picture because it's too funny. :lol:

Just before shooting the scene where Haley runs to Sam after the breakup, I had to take her into CAS to get her ready for it of course.

Afterward she does this:

Screenshot.jpg

As if to say, "Em, you're awesome! Let's get this sob scene started, shall we?"

:joy:

I just started on the outline for Chapter 17 today. I didn't get much down, but hey, it's a start. :star:;) I'm excited to write more and share more with you. <3

Until then, Happy Simming!
    Hey @KevinL5275 :grin: I was browsing hairs - again :p - and I found the hair I used on Haley in the breakup scene and thought I would share it with you (and anyone else who wants it of course. :kissing_heart: )

I originally got the hair from Plumblobs - Retexture Catalog, but...no offense to the lovely creator, but...ever since that awful Dec 2019 Windows 10 update their hair retextures now have a lot of nasty flaws in them... :confused: (I guess it's not really their fault then.) Maybe it's just my computer that it happens on, but I dunno. You can see some unwanted lines at the back of Haley's hair on that outtake photo above. ^^
    In fact I had to edit those annoying lines out using Microsoft Paint in just about all of the photos in the scene with her and Sam.

Anyhoo, so I went and searched for the original hair and it was by Skysims, but of course you can't find much of their content anymore, but BEO did a retexture and I LOVE BEO so I figure it should be better than Plumblobs for my game. :star:

Here's the link! :)

Enjoy everyone. Stay tuned for more of the story! It's slow going with the Holidays and all, but I'm getting it done little by little. :blush:

<3
  • TamijoTamijo Posts: 1,072 Member
    Just dropping a note that I do still follow this story and like the romantic drama that is seemingly about to unfold:
    My active stories: Appaloosa County..*.. Sinful Sisters.....*.....Earlier stories:..*..Survivors the River..*.. A Memoir of Grace "Slick" Joplin
    Tamijo wrote: »
    Just dropping a note that I do still follow this story and like the romantic drama that is seemingly about to unfold:

@Tamijo ! Hello there my friend! :smiley: ^Thank you for letting me know, and it was so nice to see you pop in. <3 I hope all is well with you.
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    Hiya! I just stumbled back into the forums and caught up with the story, my my, you have been so busy! I loved it, love the story progression and slow burn between Maru and Alex, and even Haley seems like a stable personality around Sam. Its also good to see Abigale confident enough to practice spells out in the open now! So much has gone on since I last checked in but all the better to have a lot to read. It may just be me but it seems that Elliot and Leah are getting a bit anxious now to go home and get their relationship moving forward...surely thats going to be a big adjustment for all of them when it happens, I am always so curious to know what happens next when I read your stories :D Hope everthing is okay with you over there and smores....we don't have them in the UK but now I have seen them, I feel all of that must change! They look amazing!
    @Bloosmoo Hey chica! :smiley: (Sorry it's taken me a while to respond. You know how the Holidays are. ;) ) Thank you for popping back in and reading and for your sweet comments. :kissing_heart:

Yep, they've all accepted Abigail for exactly who she is and that has given her the comfortability to express her magic any time. :blush:
    It may just be me but it seems that Elliot and Leah are getting a bit anxious now to go home and get their relationship moving forward...surely that's going to be a big adjustment for all of them when it happens,
    ^I like that you mentioned this, because yes they are getting anxious. ;) It will definitely be a huge adjustment for all of them moving forward in life when they get home. The townspeople will hardly recognize them with all the growth and change they've experienced in Appaloosa. :blush:
    I am always so curious to know what happens next when I read your stories :D
    I'm glad. <3

Yes! Find a way to make some S'mores! :mrgreen:

In the meantime, I hope to have another update posted soon. :) Take care. <3
  • BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,773 Member
    @emorrill Went back and it looks like I missed the last two posts over on the other thread. I didn't comment on a few prior to that but will just comment on these two I missed.

Update 1 comments

A bit risky to test it on a human, but it has to be done eventually.
    Harvey is right too though.
    Glad the rabbit is okay and it seems it may be alright for humans after all.
    Yeah, I don't blame Shane for not wanting to test it.
    That's so nice of Alex to be the subject so Maru doesn't have to be.
    I was waiting for her to say, "Phew, did you brush your teeth this morning?" :lol:
    I knew she'd be a bit flustered with his shirt off.
    I hate blood pressure cuffs, they always get too tight for my liking. I do it anyway, because it's only a minor discomfort.
    I have to agree, I do like Maru's longer hair.
    Yeah, he probably should have at least told Haley he was going to do it but at least she didn't get too mad.

Update 2 comments

Hopefully Stardew Valley does get more technologically advanced so Haley can do that.
    Hmm, I kind of think Haley does want to mature.
    Same here about totes, it makes me think about the plastic ones. A lot of Walmart customers ask me where they are in the store, so that's part of it.
    I wonder what they can browse on their phones? Do they have internet since the Sims disappeared and androids live there?
    15 kids makes me think of the Duggar family. Used to watch their show when I was younger and still follow a few of the family members, although lots of controversy in their family I won't discuss. However, it does make me wonder how anyone can take care of so many kids without pulling their hair out.
    I don't know if Haley actually doesn't want kids or if it's just because she doesn't want a baby ruining her "perfect" figure. However, I do know some people absolutely do not want children, and that is okay if that's what they want. My great great aunt wanted at least one child, but her husband didn't want children so she accepted that and was a good aunt to her nieces and nephews. Sadly, she passed away on Friday, which I am going to mention over on the other thread.
    Somehow, I think that Haley and Alex are over.
    It's for the best that Haley tells him her feelings, even if it hurts him at the time.
    I kind of had a feeling she'd run to Sam.
    And with his answer about children, I think they may be better for each other in the first place.
    Great updates! I really enjoy this story and will be sad when it ends.
    I'm not too familiar with the song, yet it sounds familiar. I've at least heard of it and the Mama's and Papa's. They just aren't really what I listen to though.
    @Brandontaylor Wow! So enjoyable reading your thoughts about the last two updates. :grin: Thank you. <3
    I was waiting for her to say, "Phew, did you brush your teeth this morning?" :lol:
    ^Lol! I didn't even think of that. :lol: That would've been funny huh?
    There have been some tight blood pressure cuffs in my life too, but it seems over the past decade they've made them to where they don't squeeze as tightly anymore, which is very nice. 👍 I wonder if a bunch of old people complained about them. :lol: Bless their hearts. <3
    I'm loving Maru's longer hair as well. :blush:
    Hmm, I kind of think Haley does want to mature.
    ^It's kinda looking that way huh? ;)
    Same here about totes, it makes me think about the plastic ones. A lot of Walmart customers ask me where they are in the store, so that's part of it.
    ^Exactly! When I worked at Staples those plastic containers were called totes too. :p
    OMGosh I forgot about the Duggar family for years, but I was reminded of them just a couple of months ago actually when I saw a magazine article about them and what's been going on with their kids these days...
    Some women are just gifted in being able to raise that many kids. Many of my Mormon ancestors were, but I think a lot of it was mostly due to cultural norms. I knew a lady from church back in our Army days who was seriously popping a kid out every single year and there I was trying desperately to get pregnant with just ONE! That was hard... :cry: Anyway, they have 15 children now.....and they are who I thought of when I wrote that. :lol:
    I don't know if Haley actually doesn't want kids or if it's just because she doesn't want a baby ruining her "perfect" figure.
    ^It's both actually, but to me it's more that she just doesn't want to deal with kids...
    And Sam does seem to be a better fit for her already doesn't he? :smirk:
    Great updates! I really enjoy this story and will be sad when it ends.
    ^Thank you. :kissing_heart: I'm going to be sad when it ends too. I mean, these characters have been a part of my life for almost 2 years... (and all of yours. <3 ) I appreciate y'all sticking with me and reading it for all this time. 🤗 It's meant so much!
    Hey my friends. :blush:

I had hoped to roll out a lot more of Chapter 17 than this before Christmas, but...the rest is not quite ready yet. So, I'll just roll out this short, first scene for your enjoyment. :blush:

🌟🎄Merry Christmas🎄🌟

Chapter 17

Moments after the breakup Alex raced home and shut himself up in his room. He didn’t want to see or talk to anyone, especially Haley. Yet his heart still longed for her, pined for her, in the most painful way possible. Because as much as he hoped to have a second chance with her, he knew deep down that it had never been meant to be in the first place. And he lamented to God for it.

It was a small town, even on this other planet. He was going to see her again, but how could he, knowing there was no more future with her and that their friendship would never be the same. He didn’t even know if there would be a friendship anymore, since it had become clear that they wanted different things and were heading on different paths. Since when? The thought tore his heart in two…the ache penetrating every feeling within his soul until he became numb. But that didn’t stop the tears from falling. Because not only did he lose his first love, but he also lost his best friend - the one person he turned to more than anyone else after his mother’s death - and nothing in the world felt worse than that.

His future was looking dark, gloomy, and empty. Life as he knew it…was officially over.

The morning after, he barely got himself up out of bed to answer the call of nature. As soon as he returned to his room, he fell to his knees, still so emotionally stricken.

51763092014_fd344f20b0_c.jpg

C’mon, get up! he tried to push himself. It was morning and what did he always do in the morning? Exercise. But for the first time in years he didn’t want to. It felt pointless. Everything did. His shoulders shook with such great emotion that his arms gave way and dropped his body to the floor. He pulled at his hair and groaned into the carpet fibers, bathing it with tears.

51763092144_7d8209d6fc_c.jpg

He pitifully crawled over to the bed, but couldn’t find the strength to lift himself up onto it. So instead he sat beside it and continued to mourn all that he lost.

51762442631_0f14844cf6_c.jpg

What hurt the most was knowing that Haley wasn’t feeling as miserable and brokenhearted as he was…because she never loved him to begin with. At least, not with the love he thought she carried for him. He shook his head, knowing the signs were always there, but his heart just refused to believe it. And if he hadn’t tried to change it, he’d be in a lot less pain now. He felt like a lovesick fool.

Over the next two days the guys noticed that Alex wasn’t up and exercising as usual and rarely came out of his room. None of them could blame him. Word of the breakup spread like wildfire, naturally, and they were all sad to hear it; surprised too. Sam avoided Alex for the time being, mostly because he was looking after Haley. She had no desire to go to the guy’s house any time soon so he spent most of his time with her over at the girl’s house.

In the morning on the third day, Alex’s exercise music once again did not wake the household. Harvey finally decided to go and check in on the brokenhearted man. No one else seemed inclined too.

“Alex?” he called, while lightly knocking on the bedroom door. When there was no answer, he stepped in.

He found Alex lying on the bed, mostly dressed, fingers woven behind his head and staring up at the ceiling with a glazed look in his eye. His hair was flat, almost plastered to his forehead, with stubble on his face. For a second Harvey didn’t recognize the kid.
    “You alright?”

51763308185_533e092687_c.jpg

Alex met Harvey’s gaze for a quick second then returned his focus on the ceiling, shaking his head in response.

Harvey then slipped his hands into his pockets and stepped closer. Moments like these always created a feeling of uneasiness, especially for guys, but Harvey knew that Alex needed someone right now, whether he wanted the company or not. He struggled to come up with a way to break the ice. “It’s been strange not seeing you up and exercising lately…”

The silence continued. Last thing Alex wanted was a lecture from the doctor. “Didn’t feel like exercising. I’m sure you can understand,” he responded with a pointed look.
    “I do…,” Harvey answered, his heart clenching with sympathy. “And I’m sorry.”

Feeling somewhat appreciative of the condolence, Alex closed his eyes and sighed, trying to hold back his emotions. “I’m sick of this place. I just want to go home.”
    Harvey lowered his head. “We all do.”
    “And why are we still here anyway? I mean, haven’t we accomplished enough? Grown enough? Or whatever the h*** this quest is all about? Who freaking knows anymore!” He huffed and shook his head in frustration, but soon frowned. “I miss home. I miss my dog, and I miss my Grandparents. I keep wondering how they’ve been doing without me. What if...they died?" His lip quivered. "All because I disappeared…without saying a word.”
    “Come now Alex, they’re not dead.”
    Alex sharply turned his head. “You know my grandparent’s physical and mental health better than anyone! So it’s very possible!”

51763308500_7131ea3922_c.jpg

The Doctor sorrowfully nodded. “Perhaps so. But that aside, they are some of the strongest people I know. I’m sure that whatever the Wizard’s reasoning was for doing this, he’s been keeping the town informed. It’d be a death sentence if he didn’t.”
    “Whatever.” Alex looked away again. “I’m just tired of it all. Tired of feeling like I’m getting nowhere in life, even when I think I’m making good progress…” He closed his eyes and shook his head, pushing away thoughts of Haley and the old, disparaging voices of his dad. “Please...just leave me alone.”

Harvey lowered his head with a respectful nod. “Okay. Well...I sure hope to see you up and about soon. If there’s anything you need, let me know.”

51763092674_63780c175c_c.jpg

As he turned for the door, he felt impressed to say one last thing. “Alex...I know it feels like the end of the world right now, but I promise you it’s not. It’s just another life experience that is shaping you into the man you're meant to become. And take it from me…the wrong girl, is the right girl, to lead you to the best girl,” he ended with a comforting smile. “Don’t forget that.”

That certainly made Alex think as he watched Harvey walk away; a halfway decent quote too. He propped himself up onto his elbows and wasn’t sure why he opened his mouth, but…“Harvey?”
    “Yeah?” The man stopped within the threshold.
    “...Who was the wrong girl that led you to Penny?”

51763308730_ac07c6a03b_c.jpg

Harvey smiled at the question. He slipped his hands into his pocket again and stepped closer. “Believe it or not…it was Maru.”

Alex’s eyebrows rose up. So it was true! The past rumors he heard about Harvey’s crush on Maru he didn’t believe, but truthfully…now…he could understand. And he could hardly blame the man. “But you never dated Maru!”
    “Not for lack of trying!” Harvey retorted. His eyes drifted away, taking his thoughts back to the time. “We may as well have been dating. We spent long hours together everyday at the clinic. We had so much in common, shared smarts, and geeked out over all the same things. Nerdy or normal,” he chuckled. “I’d never connected with a girl like that before and…I fell hard. We became fast friends and everyday at work was a joy because she was there with me. She felt like the perfect girl for me in every way.” He mused.
    Alex smiled.
    “So it was a tough pill to swallow…realizing she didn’t have the same feelings for me.”
    Alex blew out an exasperated sigh. “Yeah. I get that…”
    “But…as you can see God had someone better in store for me. And apparently for Maru too.”
    Alex raised his head up at that, then shook it with a grin. “Kinda makes you wonder who’s gonna finally steal that genius's heart away.” He looked down, somewhat twiddling his fingers. “She’s pretty amazing.”

“Yeah,” Harvey observed with a smile. “She is.”

51763091744_3429322e85_c.jpg

And with that he left Alex alone with his thoughts.

:blush:

Stay tuned for more after the Holidays! :star:
    Oh my gosh, his pain. :'( Its so not fair. I don't know if I can bear it to read what you write about Haley's version of the breakup. Don't you break my girl's heart. <3

Wonderful teaser, can't wait for the rest. :)
    @emorrill

I feel so bad for Alex though I can't help him look so smexy in those
    screenshots even if he's all sad and distressed. I hope Maru will be his queen in shining armor or dress and come help him out of his misery, I wonder if she is the one that can help him heal.
    Great start to chapter.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

@emorill Woot! Loved the update. Poor Alex though. I know he loved her, but she is not worth all that angst. When he discovers his true love he will realize that all he felt for Haley besides lust was puppy love. :smiley:

Your pictures of his despair are awesome! He's never been my favorite of the group, but I'm struggling watching him in his sorrow.

I'm so glad Harvey finally went to check up on him. Alex needs to be pushed to get over it and get cleaned up and get back to life.
    Love his scruffy face though! He doesn't need to clean that up. :grin:
    And take it from me…the wrong girl, is the right girl, to lead you to the best girl,” he ended with a comforting smile. “Don’t forget that.”
    Words of wisdom from Dr Harvey!
    Good thoughts for Alex to start thinking about.

Now, I'm gonna kick Maru's but.t for not helping her friend in his time of need and letting him wallow in self pity. I know their friendship is new but jeez. Sam was much better about helping Haley, even though she really didn't need it because she didn't really love Alex she just felt bad hurting him. I'm still not fond of Haley. :lol:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top