Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laptop suggestions

Hi all,

I have been in the market looking for a laptop to have mostly my sims 3, 2, possibly 4 onto it. I may also get stardew valley in the future. I've tried looking at recent threads for ideas but none of them had what I was looking for. Any suggestions that include SSD and HDD with 16RAM? I've heard that having both is preferred. For sims 2 I have all of the packs. Sims 3 I have all EPs except Sueprnatural and all SPs except Katy Perry. Sims 4 I do not plan on getting a lot more packs but I have university, seasons, parenthood, and toddler stuff. I also am going to want a lot of mods and CC from each iteration. And, some things from the Sims 3 Store.

My budget max is 1000 US dollars. Is it possible to find a laptop to fit that budget with these requests in mind? Also, when looking for a gaming laptop for the sims. What's the best laptop brand to look into, and what's the worst to not look into. Thank you in advance.
"The truth hurts, but lies kill"

Comments

• Options
    deavvedeavve Posts: 20 Member
    I recently bought a laptop and I'm really happy with it. It's HP Pavilion Gaming with 16 RAM, SSD and optional HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX and AMD Ryzen 5 processor.
    I play TS3 with all EPs, SPs and lots of mods and it runs really smoothly.
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Are you still looking for laptop recommendations? Let me know, and I'll try to find some good options. (I meant to reply earlier this week but was a lot busier than I expected, sorry.)

As for brands, Lenovo Legions are on average the best-quality laptops in your price range, with Asus, HP, and even Acer producing some good options and some that have their issues. As always, it's a good idea to read reviews before spending that kind of money.
  • Options
    lionessleelionesslee Posts: 52 Member
    ok mine is different i had a window's update today and then my sims update today just frozen and left like half way thru it i am not sure how to redo it, any ideas please let me know thank you very much
    <3>:)
  • Options
    KLAlexisKLAlexis Posts: 472 Member
    Hi. Yes. I am still looking for one. Are Asus and MSI good brands to consider?
  • Options
    Are you still looking for laptop recommendations? Let me know, and I'll try to find some good options. (I meant to reply earlier this week but was a lot busier than I expected, sorry.)

As for brands, Lenovo Legions are on average the best-quality laptops in your price range, with Asus, HP, and even Acer producing some good options and some that have their issues. As always, it's a good idea to read reviews before spending that kind of money.

No problem. Thank you for responding. I heard that Asus and MSI are good gaming laptops.
  • Options
    Bumping this because I still haven't decided, yet. I've decided to go with the MSI brand. But. I don't know which one or series to pick. Are these specs good for what I want?

Gaming Laptop 17.3” FHD IPS 144Hz 11th Gen Intel 8-Core i7-11800H 16GB RAM 512GB SSD + 1TB SSD GeForce RTX 3050 Ti 4GB Backlit USB-C WiFi6 Win10Pro Black + HDMI Cable
  • Options
    That laptop's hardware should run Sims 3 on ultra settings without any issues. I do want to say that many MSI laptops run hot and loud, especially the "thin" ones. The processor in this model runs hot anyway, so if you're worried about it potentially overheating, this might not be the right model for you.
  • Options
    That laptop's hardware should run Sims 3 on ultra settings without any issues. I do want to say that many MSI laptops run hot and loud, especially the "thin" ones. The processor in this model runs hot anyway, so if you're worried about it potentially overheating, this might not be the right model for you.

Are you referring to Asus laptops? Because, I've heard that they run hot and loud. If not then what laptop brand does have better processors for overheating?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    No, I was referring to MSI laptops, but again, not all of them; some of the high-end ones run cooler and quieter. This is not a brand-specific problem but rather one that's almost universal across manufacturers. For example, the Asus TUF laptops in the last couple of generations can run quite hot and somewhat loud, but the Zephyrus G14 laptops are much cooler and quieter. They're also more expensive. That's a common theme: the cheapest models don't always have the best cooling, but pay a bit more and you might get better results.

In general, laptops with AMD processors also run cooler than those with Intel CPUs. This is just because AMD's current laptop CPUs generate a lot less heat than their Intel equivalents, so if a manufacturer applies the same cooling apparatus to both, the AMD laptop will stay cooler, and its fans won't need to spin as fast and will therefore make less noise.

The best cooling I've seen in gaming laptops priced at the entry level (more or less) is in the Lenovo Legion series. The newer Legions are more expensive, but options with a 1660 ti can often be under $1000 U.S. This is another good example of the difference in cooling: the cheaper Lenovo Ideapads tend to run hotter and get less performance out of the same hardware.