Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Over One Billion Hours Played In 2021

Comments

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I think almost half of those CAS hours are mine. 😆

Haha, I was just about to write exactly the same phrase :) So then the other half must be mine - what happened to everyone else?

They must be the offline players. 😝
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    AlexaiAlexai Posts: 186 Member
    In many ways it's very good to see that the most common death is old age. Years ago, I was a bit stunned to read how some players were devising ways to bring the end of life to their Sims, through starvation, drowning, electrocution, etc. . Seems many of us have moved on from that.

I agree. I've always found that very disturbing.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    That is so cool. I definitely feel like I spent 100 million hours playing the Sims 4 this year and don't regret a single minute of it. :smile:

• Options
    g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    1.2 billion hours played isn’t a lot if there really is over 30 million players. That means an average player only played for 40 hours during 2021. That’s less than 1 hour per week.

274 million whohoos isn’t a lot either if there are over 30 million players. 30 million average people would have woohooed way more than that.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    g01denswan wrote: »

274 million whohoos isn’t a lot either if there are over 30 million players. 30 million average people would have woohooed way more than that.

We’ve already learned that 2 players are responsible for most CAS hours spent.
    Something new we can learn is that I’m responsible for at least 237 million of those woohoos.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    1.2 billion hours played isn’t a lot if there really is over 30 million players. That means an average player only played for 40 hours during 2021. That’s less than 1 hour per week.

When they say that they have 30 million unique players (36 in may) they are often talking about life-to-date, which means that they are counting from 2014. I don't think people from 2014 are playing the game that much.

So I think the player numbers during this year was probably between 1-10 million. That's a bit more hours per week.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    I play offline whenever I can and EA cannot count the hours I spend modding the game.

It's not uncommon to play TS4 offline. Performance is so much better when playing offline, just to highlight one reason.

So in the end, these are merely some figures meant to impress the reader, but they hardly say anything about the popularity of the game.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    From a psychological point of view this is disturbing people spent that many hours in a year with their noses in a screen. There is so much to do, that needs to be done, so much to fix, help others, so much to see, so much to think about, so much to experience in real life that I actually find this very disturbing and then we ask ourselves why are things the way they are. :o No wonder.

I wonder how many accumulated hours people have spent reading this year? Or knitting, or candle making? (Or anything else they enjoy!)

I consider Sims a hobby, and allowing ourselves time to spend on our hobbies is very important. So I say good for us!

It's always good to want to help others and make the world a better place though. :smile:
  • Options
    g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member

Something new we can learn is that I’m responsible for at least 237 million of those woohoos.

Can you still walk?
  • Options

Can you still walk?

Me? Barely.
    I twisted my ankle the other day.

My sims are OK though. They’ve always walked a bit funny.
  • Options
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I play offline whenever I can and EA cannot count the hours I spend modding the game.

It's not uncommon to play TS4 offline. Performance is so much better when playing offline, just to highlight one reason.

So in the end, these are merely some figures meant to impress the reader, but they hardly say anything about the popularity of the game.

@83bienchen How did you learn how to mod and make custom content?
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    @Elliandre:
    Honestly, for Sims 4, the little I know I just taught myself.
    Back in the times of TS2, though, I had some guidance by an unforgettable kind modder named Echo at MTS (https://modthesims.info/m/42165). The person who inspired me to start creating CC in the beginning of TS2 was a very dear friend of mine who has long ceased making content for the Sims due to several strokes. His name on MTS is Rado, he hasn't been active since more than 10 years. I guess I'm old.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited December 2021
    From a psychological point of view this is disturbing people spent that many hours in a year with their noses in a screen. There is so much to do, that needs to be done, so much to fix, help others, so much to see, so much to think about, so much to experience in real life that I actually find this very disturbing and then we ask ourselves why are things the way they are. :o No wonder.

I wonder how many accumulated hours people have spent reading this year? Or knitting, or candle making? (Or anything else they enjoy!)

I consider Sims a hobby, and allowing ourselves time to spend on our hobbies is very important. So I say good for us!

It's always good to want to help others and make the world a better place though. :smile:

Excellent point. And if they're spending so much time happily doing things they enjoy (with their noses in a screen or not), it means they spend less time out there doing nefarious things. Like driving under the influence, being shady politicians, killing people, or any number of other actually disturbing things.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »

Excellent point. And if they're spending so much time happily doing things they enjoy (with their noses in a screen or not), it means they spend less time out there doing nefarious things. Like driving under the influence, being shady politicians, killing people, or any number of other actually disturbing things.

Definitely! I would have taken over the world by now if it weren't for the Sims!
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited December 2021
    Definitely! I would have taken over the world by now if it weren't for the Sims!

Muwahahahahahaaaaaaa.....

Hhpag0e.jpg

My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »

I know how you feel. Believe me, I tried, but I learned that it cut into my gaming time too much, so I had a hard decision to make. So sad. :cry:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    83bienchen wrote: »
    @Elliandre:
    Honestly, for Sims 4, the little I know I just taught myself.
    Back in the times of TS2, though, I had some guidance by an unforgettable kind modder named Echo at MTS (https://modthesims.info/m/42165). The person who inspired me to start creating CC in the beginning of TS2 was a very dear friend of mine who has long ceased making content for the Sims due to several strokes. His name on MTS is Rado, he hasn't been active since more than 10 years. I guess I'm old.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I downloaded so much Sims 2 cc I may have even downloaded from him on MTS.

That's amazing you taught yourself how to mod the game. I hope they add some type of customization program in the future so we can at least add our own little touches to the game, maybe a custom painting or jewlery or recolored outfit.

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2021
    In many ways it's very good to see that the most common death is old age. Years ago, I was a bit stunned to read how some players were devising ways to bring the end of life to their Sims, through starvation, drowning, electrocution, etc. . Seems many of us have moved on from that.
    I haven't. Once a deviant player always a deviant player. Plus I rather take it out on my Sims. I still get stunned with deviance on social media. Sims is well a healthier outlet for mental health especially with the past five years. Not healthy bottling up emotions I have learned since my teenage years which thankfully I had the Sims 1 for during that time of my life. @VeeDub and @GirlFromIpanema See you two get it. While my sister would set trash can fires in my room with her real life pyromania I decided to keep my fires contained in the Sims. Her outlet well is social media now. Why I am glad Sims 4 ended the MMO attempt after SimCity servers failed. I don't think Simmers could handle how defensive she can get especially when it comes to me being her baby sister or her baby brother. Why if Sims 5 goes online I am not joining. It is an all or nothing when it comes to playing the Sims with my fellow Simmer siblings. We play games together.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    @Scobre would love to see some of your gameplay pics. 🙂
  • Options
    @Scobre would love to see some of your gameplay pics. 🙂
    I hope I can when my new computer comes. I had a lot of fun with that more intense fire mod.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    I'm responsible for half of the 200 million gallery downloads because I still don't know how to build.
  • Options
    cyncie wrote: »

Well, I spent a fair amount of time working frontline healthcare during a pandemic. Playing Sims has been my stress off ramp. I’m sure during COVID that’s been true of a lot of people. Self care isn’t a waste of time.
    Thank you for all your hard work with that. I just have helped with the backlog of unemployment claims during the pandemic. Hoping that people pay their taxes so there is a budget to continue that work. Worst case I will have a few months off until April or May. I wouldn't be able to do my work without amazing frontline workers like you to help keep us going. It has helped with my self care too as I do my home spa days with facial masks to keep my baby face looking young like Maureen O'Hara's trick of keeping good skin health by keeping hygiene up.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Can you still walk?

Me? Barely.

Sorry about your ankle @CAPTAIN_NXR7. I hope that you feel better soon. I have suffered from torn ligaments in both my ankles for years, so my empathy goes out to you on that. Arnica Montana cream has helped me which I think is called Arnicare at places like Walmart with swelling and bruising. John Wayne mentioned it in the movie McClintock. I hope you have ice and heat packs for it too.
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »

Can you still walk?

Me? Barely.

Sorry about your ankle @CAPTAIN_NXR7. I hope that you feel better soon. I have suffered from torn ligaments in both my ankles for years, so my empathy goes out to you on that. Arnica Montana cream has helped me which I think is called Arnicare at places like Walmart with swelling and bruising. John Wayne mentioned it in the movie McClintock. I hope you have ice and heat packs for it too.

Ah @Scobre, you are very kind but I deserve no sympathy.
    I am very sorry to hear about your suffering from torn ligaments and I’m glad to hear the arnicare cream offers some relief. ❤️

I do walk a bit like John Wayne sometimes, however, my ankle injury is not as bad as it sounds. In fact I don’t have an ankle injury at all.
    I can’t really explain the “joke” now and it wasn’t even a good one.
    It had to do with someone else asking whether I’m still able to walk after being responsible for at least 237 million Woohoos in The Sims.

I always thought woohoo is something Sims do, aka virtual people in a virtual world. Could I have been wrong all that time? Has Maxis been tracking my personal endeavors? I doubt it.
    If I were responsible for 237 million real life woohoos within such a relatively short amount of time there would be no need for me to worry about not being able to walk.
    That’s right. I’d be dead. 🥺
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »

Can you still walk?

Me? Barely.

Ah @Scobre, you are very kind but I deserve no sympathy.
    I am very sorry to hear about your suffering from torn ligaments and I’m glad to hear the arnicare cream offers some relief. ❤️

I do walk a bit like John Wayne sometimes, however, my ankle injury is not as bad as it sounds. In fact I don’t have an ankle injury at all.
    I can’t really explain the “joke” now and it wasn’t even a good one.
    It had to do with someone else asking whether I’m still able to walk after being responsible for at least 237 million Woohoos in The Sims.

I always thought woohoo is something Sims do, aka virtual people in a virtual world. Could I have been wrong all that time? Has Maxis been tracking my personal endeavors? I doubt it.
    If I were responsible for 237 million real life woohoos within such a relatively short amount of time there would be no need for me to worry about not being able to walk.
    That’s right. I’d be dead. 🥺

Ah ok. Yeah it is a lot. I turn the tracking off myself. I find it a bit big brother creepy. Plus not sure if the game tracks those dark side mods other Simmers use too which probably can skew it. Honestly I am amazed with each pack release the four things people ask if it has new achievements, supernaturals, deaths, and woohoos. People love the woohoo. Back in my day it was called play in bed, play on bear rug, and play in hot tub in the Sims 1.