Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Plan on Buying Paralives vs TS5?

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    I like this new artstyle!

I wasn’t impressed with the previous parafolk designs but this is the first time I feel like exploring the Paramaker features.
    It does remind me of early concept art for Sims 4 by artist Wesley Burt, although in a less final state and with slightly less character but more bodyhair. 😋

1-C647157-F68-B-4-C87-A9-B5-CA21225-B5-A4-D.jpg

29121732-C85-A-4246-85-C4-0-D173-B863-D85.jpg

D1-DF143-C-3556-4-D51-BB86-332554-FFF390.jpg

Not too keen on the exaggerated face / bodyblush either.

B69-DDE4-D-5-F7-A-498-C-86-EF-B023543-C813-D.jpg

Dunno what the flip the lady was wearing in that sizzling sunroom. A scarf? And a….what?
    I tried to make sense of this haute couture:

But failed.

89-D3-F02-D-D66-D-4-DBD-9-EED-DC99-D2263-BE0.jpg

Following the development of Paralives sure is as entertaining as playing a game though! 👏🏼

I love the original art style and would have loved a game like that. As far as Paralives goes, that is one ugly woman. The males look great but that woman needs a lot of work.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    Yes, I plan on getting Paralives as soon as it's released (possible 2021)
    Cinebar wrote: »

I wasn’t impressed with the previous parafolk designs but this is the first time I feel like exploring the Paramaker features.
    It does remind me of early concept art for Sims 4 by artist Wesley Burt, although in a less final state and with slightly less character but more bodyhair. 😋

Dunno what the flip the lady was wearing in that sizzling sunroom. A scarf? And a….what?

But failed.

Following the development of Paralives sure is as entertaining as playing a game though! 👏🏼

I love the original art style and would have loved a game like that. As far as Paralives goes, that is one ugly woman. The males look great but that woman needs a lot of work.
    That's an androgynous para used as the base between the two genders, for those who want to mix and match aspects of either as their identity necessitates. Maggie is the only female para thus far.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    KyreRoen wrote: »

But failed.

That's an androgynous para used as the base between the two genders, for those who want to mix and match aspects of either as their identity necessitates. Maggie is the only female para thus far.

But their 'Maggie' also has bushy eyebrows I would tweeze. She also has a pooch belly and Donald Duck rear end. With a weird stance position. And big hipbones that look like they might stick out too much in her clothes if she were to wear 'bike shorts'. She also has giant knee caps as well. I don't know, I haven't seen an actual female body that is attractive in Paralives, yet. She also has a big bulb tip end nose, and that weird body blush. Maggie also has shoulders that look like they were created for a linebacker. So, yeah, I'm standing by what I said, the females are some ugly women and they stand in a weird way with their rear ends sticking out like Donald Duck, and they both have that pooch belly that looks like they might need to empty their bladders. First impressions matter.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    Other

But failed.

I don’t see why she has to look stunning. And I don’t think the men look great, just average. They all look average as most people do. To each there own I guess.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    I plan to buy both.
    taydev wrote: »

But failed.

I don’t see why she has to look stunning. And I don’t think the men look great, just average. They all look average as most people do. To each there own I guess.

I like the way she looks also. The first thing that caught my attention was that she looks like the average person. Not all smooth and porcelain doll-like.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Other

But their 'Maggie' also has bushy eyebrows I would tweeze. She also has a pooch belly and Donald Duck rear end. With a weird stance position. And big hipbones that look like they might stick out too much in her clothes if she were to wear 'bike shorts'. She also has giant knee caps as well. I don't know, I haven't seen an actual female body that is attractive in Paralives, yet. She also has a big bulb tip end nose, and that weird body blush. Maggie also has shoulders that look like they were created for a linebacker. So, yeah, I'm standing by what I said, the females are some ugly women and they stand in a weird way with their rear ends sticking out like Donald Duck, and they both have that pooch belly that looks like they might need to empty their bladders. First impressions matter.

Maggie bushy eyebrows?! Get outta here! The poor girl will have nothing left if you go tweezing those things. What’s this deal with women wanting to tweeze eyebrows all the time? Leave those things alone! 😂🤣

And her so called “duck butt” is lovely. It’s Mag’s butt. She didn’t create it herself. Leave her butt alone too!

Re: “pooch” belly, you see, maybe they didn’t build functional toilets for the game yet. She has nowhere to empty the bladder. But then again, Maggie’s belly looks fine. It’s just a little belly. It’s a Maggie belly!

She looks like the concept of a real girl. In all fairness now she looks like at least 50 or more girls I know IRL…
    Isn’t that the whole purpose of Paralives going all inclusive? Curved walls and curvy figures?

I believe that the only reason the dudes resemble fancy smanchy male models is because this game is probably aimed at lovely young ladies who look like Maggie. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    Other
    ?

I believe that the only reason the dudes resemble fancy smanchy male models is because this game is probably aimed at lovely young ladies who look like Maggie. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The only paraman I've seen was the guy who took off his shoes and sat on the kitchen counters. He didn't look particularly smanchy and model like. Are there good looking Paras? To me they look like they tried to make them relatable and, like @Cinebar said, gave them a lot of ugly features. Or maybe is just this trend that I see affecting sims also, that people like to exaggerate features like the red nose, under eye bags, unnaturally large eyes and mouths, etc., thinking they are creating pretty sims with character.
  • JunkyPoemJunkyPoem Posts: 135 Member
    Other
    The one with the best gameplay options. Not BB & CAS, but actual gameplay.
    Other

Maggie bushy eyebrows?! Get outta here! The poor girl will have nothing left if you go tweezing those things. What’s this deal with women wanting to tweeze eyebrows all the time? Leave those things alone! 😂🤣

And her so called “duck butt” is lovely. It’s Mag’s butt. She didn’t create it herself. Leave her butt alone too!

Re: “pooch” belly, you see, maybe they didn’t build functional toilets for the game yet. She has nowhere to empty the bladder. But then again, Maggie’s belly looks fine. It’s just a little belly. It’s a Maggie belly!

She looks like the concept of a real girl. In all fairness now she looks like at least 50 or more girls I know IRL…
    Isn’t that the whole purpose of Paralives going all inclusive? Curved walls and curvy figures?

Men have impossibly high fantasy-like standards for women and zero for men, which is why the male paralifer(?) looks just fine of course, but the female is “ugly”. Geez. They look like regular folks and every feature that was harshly criticized is what you see on regular folks lol.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    ?

The only paraman I've seen was the guy who took off his shoes and sat on the kitchen counters. He didn't look particularly smanchy and model like. Are there good looking Paras? To me they look like they tried to make them relatable and, like @Cinebar said, gave them a lot of ugly features. Or maybe is just this trend that I see affecting sims also, that people like to exaggerate features like the red nose, under eye bags, unnaturally large eyes and mouths, etc., thinking they are creating pretty sims with character.

The guy who "took his shoes off and sat on the kitchen counter" is Sebastian who was in the paramarker video with his adopted son Eli.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited December 2021
    Other
    I vote other. Why would I would stop playing I game I love because there is a new game to play? I already play other games. If this game gets good reviews when it comes out then I will check it out. It looks like a really cute cartoon building game to me. I own lots of building, puzzle and simulation games. Maybe it will have some interesting gameplay.

I just watched one review today actually. In her video review I only saw some basic cartoon graphics and two pairs of men's shoes and two pairs of men's pants to choose from and no demonstration of any gameplay. All I could think was, is this the game unhappy Sim players keep raving about, the same players so hostile over the lack of masculine clothing content are really promoting a game to me that has only two pairs of men's shoes and two pairs of men's pants to choose from? The other video I saw was of a man diving in a pool with graphics so simple am I really to compare that to Sulani beach and the gorgeous pool graphics in the Sims 4, just because he can dive off the roof instead of a diving board? My personal favourite paralives review I came across recently is, okay, maybe there will only be five bedroom furniture objects to choose from, but because you can change the size of them in any direction, up, down, left, right, make them big, make them small, and use a wheel to choose the color, then no two beds will look alike ... No I'm so sorry, but that's not good enough for me, the furniture must be different shapes, like be actual different pieces of furniture, not just the exact same furniture in different sizes and colors lol.

This game looks so cute though. I hope it does well they are trying so hard to make me believe it is like the Sims.
    Post edited by Elliandre on
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    edited December 2021
    There is also this game I follow on Twitter called farm folks:

It's more of a farm sim than anything else but what surprised me was the customization options since I didn't expect it all. I doubt it's gonna be anything similar to the sims franchise and will be more like classical farm simulation games like Harvest moon. But it made me think that sims 5 would have to come out with something similar in level of customization since it seems like a lot of games are coming out with a lot customization options even though they are not life simulators. There is also a game called My time at sandrock that has the same hair physics as paralives and even has modular hair pieces so you can add bangs to hair and etc.

I also found it interesting that farm folks compared themselves to the sims which made me wonder if they will add other life simulation aspects other than farming.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
    Other

The new "Farming Simulator" game, I think Farming Simulator 22, is so popular now apparently the physical copies keep selling out here. I keep hearing about it and meant to check it out. I love farming games too. I love discovering new simulator games, but I really wish there wasn't so much hostility to Sims 4 in the blog and video reviews for the paralives games. I just like to see what the new game has to offer, not compare it to the Sims to put the Sims games down. I don't think they can compare they are so much smaller a company, but hey look at minecraft wasn't it made by one person and it got so popular
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Other

The Paradudes:

6-D7019-C1-0-C72-4-E29-9-CE5-D961-C98-FDB95.jpg
    244-D54-CA-0-A76-4405-A022-E2-E3-DC75139-F.jpg

Men have impossibly high fantasy-like standards for women and zero for men, which is why the male paralifer(?) looks just fine of course, but the female is “ugly”. Geez. They look like regular folks and every feature that was harshly criticized is what you see on regular folks lol.

But I’m not saying the female is “ugly”. Or am I missing something? 🤔
    It’s just that compared to lovely looking Average Mags, the dudes come across as male modelish and stylish….they both have a similar physique and look almost like fashion drawing mannequins. Whereas Maggie looks like…Maggie the nice girl from down the road.

A lot of you are saying that the guys look average too…do they really though?

I suppose I’m such a hideous guy - compared to me all men look like male models. 😝
    Elliandre wrote: »
    I vote other. Why would I would stop playing I game I love because there is a new game to play? I already play other games. If this game gets good reviews when it comes out then I will check it out. It looks like a really cute cartoon building game to me. I own lots of building, puzzle and simulation games. Maybe it will have some interesting gameplay.

I just watched one review today actually. In her video review I only saw some basic cartoon graphics and two pairs of men's shoes and two pairs of men's pants to choose from and no demonstration of any gameplay. All I could think was, is this the game unhappy Sim players keep raving about, the same players so hostile over the lack of masculine clothing content are really promoting a game to me that has only two pairs of men's shoes and two pairs of men's pants to choose from? The other video I saw was of a man diving in a pool with graphics so simple am I really to compare that to Sulani beach and the gorgeous pool graphics in the Sims 4, just because he can dive off the roof instead of a diving board? My personal favourite paralives review I came across recently is, okay, maybe there will only be five bedroom furniture objects to choose from, but because you can change the size of them in any direction, up, down, left, right, make them big, make them small, and use a wheel to choose the color, then no two beds will look alike ... No I'm so sorry, but that's not good enough for me, the furniture must be different shapes, like be actual different pieces of furniture, not just the exact same furniture in different sizes and colors lol.

This game looks so cute though. I hope it does well they are trying so hard to make me believe it is like the Sims.

You have to remember that this game is early in development and just because we only see two sets of pants, etc don't mean that will be the all that will be in the game later. Not to mention we will be able to change the colour/texure, etc with Create-a-wheel. The video even said it was "a work in progress and it's pre-alpba video"
    6adMCGP.gif
    I love discovering new simulator games, but I really wish there wasn't so much hostility to Sims 4 in the blog and video reviews for the paralives games.

I think that what puts me off from it sometimes. When it is compared to the sims 4 but in a hostile way. I also think that stops me from following closely to the development. There's tons of games I play so this would not be the first game besides the sims that I play, follow news and development for or watch yt videos about. But with people constantly calling it the sims killer or using it to bash sims 4 it kind if puts me off a bit but it wouldn't stop me from playing the game if it interested me enough.
    I don't think they can compare they are so much smaller a company, but hey look at minecraft wasn't it made by one person and it got so popular

I think that's stardew valley but I guess it could also be minecraft
    Other
    MadameLee wrote: »

You have to remember that this game is early in development and just because we only see two sets of pants, etc don't mean that will be the all that will be in the game later. Not to mention we will be able to change the colour/texure, etc with Create-a-wheel. The video even said it was "a work in progress and it's pre-alpba video"

Ahh, I suppose that might be true, but I'm actually more interested in their gameplay, like even if it's more simple, text dialogue with options, adventures, mysteries to solve, quests/missions to achieve, goals, etc. because even if they add more clothing, the cartoonish graphics won't change and I don't really like the cartoonish graphics tbh although the build objects look cute and I like that you can build anywhere. I'm not saying the graphics alone would put me off the game, but because I still haven't seen anything about the gameplay so I can't really make a decision yet if I plan to buy it.
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    I love discovering new simulator games, but I really wish there wasn't so much hostility to Sims 4 in the blog and video reviews for the paralives games.

I think that what puts me off from it sometimes. When it is compared to the sims 4 but in a hostile way. I also think that stops me from following closely to the development. There's tons of games I play so this would not be the first game besides the sims that I play, follow news and development for or watch yt videos about. But with people constantly calling it the sims killer or using it to bash sims 4 it kind if puts me off a bit but it wouldn't stop me from playing the game if it interested me enough.

yes, same! I don't like the Sims 4 hostility in the reviews and stopped looking for them, but I hope it is just from the reviewers and not the game development team itself. I will still check the game out when I notice it's released, because even though Sims has been one of my favourite franchises since Sims 1, I play other games too, the more the merrier.

What's gonna happen if the game has playable babies, is Maxis gonna bust our babies out of their cribs so fast and make them crawl around and give them all new baby toys, then I will be so happy for Paralives existence even if I don't buy it.

Ahh, I suppose that might be true, but I'm actually more interested in their gameplay, like even if it's more simple, text dialogue with options, adventures, mysteries to solve, quests/missions to achieve, goals, etc. because even if they add more clothing, the cartoonish graphics won't change and I don't really like the cartoonish graphics tbh although the build objects look cute and I like that you can build anywhere. I'm not saying the graphics alone would put me off the game, but because I still haven't seen anything about the gameplay so I can't really make a decision yet if I plan to buy it.

yes, same! I don't like the Sims 4 hostility in the reviews and stopped looking for them, but I hope it is just from the reviewers and not the game development team itself. I will still check the game out when I notice it's released, because even though Sims has been one of my favourite franchises since Sims 1, I play other games too, the more the merrier.

What's gonna happen if the game has playable babies, is Maxis gonna bust our babies out of their cribs so fast and make them crawl around and give them all new baby toys, then I will be so happy for Paralives existence even if I don't buy it.

Oh yeah the competition will definitely be more good than bad. Like I mentioned about the customization options in other games, this will push ea and maxis to put those things in game because then it looks bad for several indie games to do it and then there game releases and doesn't have it.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited December 2021
    Other

Healthy competition is one thing, but the hostile, anti-S4 sentiment seems to definitely be there among Paralives fans, and even carries over to this forum. Even the title of this thread conveys an “us against them” choice to be made. “Are you going to buy Paralives or Sims 5?” Maybe one. Maybe the other. Maybe both. Maybe neither.

Of course, Paralives is promising the moon, which definitely appeals to dissatisfied Simmers. If they can deliver, great. We’ll see. If, as someone said elsewhere, they aren’t planning to “do occults,” they’ve already lost a portion of the Sims community, but maybe they can win over enough of the rest to have a successful game. I seriously doubt it will be a Sims killer. If The Sims gets killed, it will be by EAs bad decisions, not healthy competition from an Indy game. It seems a lot of EA hostility is similar to hostility toward Disney and Walmart…essentially that they’re the big guys who just want to make money from their product. Small companies also want to make money. Nobody is going to give away their hard work for free, including the Paralives developers.

But, for me, lack of any gameplay information aside, I don’t see the minimalistic 2D style of Paralives translating into breathtaking screenshots like I’ve gotten in The Magic Realm, Glimmerbrook, and Sulani. Plus, the red nosed, body blushed coloring is one of the things I dislike the most about much S4 CC. S4 has provided me the best experience in creating Sims that look the way I see them in my mind. I don’t think I will be able to do the same with Paramaker, due to the art style limitations. S2 and S3 didn’t quite get there for me, either.

But, since I’m not an early adopter of game releases, I’ll have plenty of time to weigh my choices while I continue playing this game.
    edited December 2021
    cyncie wrote: »
    Of course, Paralives is promising the moon, which definitely appeals to dissatisfied Simmers. If they can deliver, great. We’ll see. If, as someone said elsewhere, they aren’t planning to “do occults,” they’ve already lost a portion of the Sims community, but maybe they can win over enough of the rest to have a successful game.
    [/quote]

Ok just to clarify they're not planning occults forthe base game (along with no activate jobs/schools, etc),. But they might come sometime after in a DLC. But they're looking into it down the line.
    Post edited by MadameLee on
    6adMCGP.gif
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,641 Member
    Other

Of course, Paralives is promising the moon, which definitely appeals to dissatisfied Simmers. If they can deliver, great. We’ll see. If, as someone said elsewhere, they aren’t planning to “do occults,” they’ve already lost a portion of the Sims community, but maybe they can win over enough of the rest to have a successful game.

Ok just to clarify they're not planning occults forthe base game (along with no activate jobs/schools, etc),. But they might come sometime after in a DLC. But they're looking into it down the line. [/quote]

Thank you for the clarification. So they’ve decided to do DLCs after all? So, not so different from The Sims, then.

Ok just to clarify they're not planning occults forthe base game (along with no activate jobs/schools, etc),. But they might come sometime after in a DLC. But they're looking into it down the line.

Thank you for the clarification. So they’ve decided to do DLCs after all? So, not so different from The Sims, then.[/quote]

DLCs have always been on the table for day 1. But I think they have said there will be very few paid DLCs. But most of the content (outside of the main stuff -ages, jobs, seasons,) will be in updates which will be free. And what little DLC's will be "should be impactful and game changing! The majority of the updates will be free but there will be some paid dlcs here and there, but they will have lots of content!" (that's a quote from the Devs). The Devs are considering occults.. but it's not confirmed or denied at the moment.. but it's a common request on the discord. Same goes for Paras with disabilities

I mean in a recent parainze (from last month's dev chat mind you I think)- that if there's an early open access it will be avaible to people on Steam vs. if it's a closed beta testing it will only be avaible on Patreon. Which is a lot different then there stance has been in a bit.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited December 2021
    I plan to buy both.

Oh yeah the competition will definitely be more good than bad. Like I mentioned about the customization options in other games, this will push ea and maxis to put those things in game because then it looks bad for several indie games to do it and then there game releases and doesn't have it.

That's what I am hoping for too. I don't think Paralives will compete with the sims4 because they don't have the budget for it... but they will introduce features that Maxis have not done like color wheels which might make certain features more fun to play than the sims4 and that is only a good thing. We need more people to build and develop life simulation games. There are too few people that are doing it right now.

Paralives reminds me a bit of Phoenix Point if people are familiar with that game, it was a game that was created by a studio who wanted a different direction than what Firaxis was making with the popular xcom franchise. It did not really compete with xcom and did not run and look as good as the xcom games but it did offer something different for people who liked that genre.
    Other

The Paradudes:

6-D7019-C1-0-C72-4-E29-9-CE5-D961-C98-FDB95.jpg
    244-D54-CA-0-A76-4405-A022-E2-E3-DC75139-F.jpg

But I’m not saying the female is “ugly”. Or am I missing something? 🤔
    It’s just that compared to lovely looking Average Mags, the dudes come across as male modelish and stylish….they both have a similar physique and look almost like fashion drawing mannequins. Whereas Maggie looks like…Maggie the nice girl from down the road.

A lot of you are saying that the guys look average too…do they really though?

I suppose I’m such a hideous guy - compared to me all men look like male models. 😝

My reply was to Cinebar, who literally said the women were ugly, needed lots of work, and criticized features real women naturally have that are perfectly normal. I didn’t even read your comment so… *shrugs*
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Well the time has come what many have been waiting for...

Current Status - January 2022 (soon!)
    - Improving the Paramaker, adding more features and fixing bugs
    - Adding body and face shapes for the adult human model
    - Designing and implementing the animation system and its mod support
    - Creating more character animations
    - Working on the musical direction and soundtrack of the game
    - Brainstorming and designing different aspects of the game

Looks like Paramaker is being cleaned up and the work for live mode begins.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top