Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Plan on Buying Paralives vs TS5?

Comments

• Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    100%. I've been a long-term Patreon of the game, so I think it's possible I might get a discount or a free copy.

It's not 'free' since you have been paying for it each month. How many years do you intend to pay for it each month? I stopped after I thought I had paid enough for a base game. :D
    I decided I was paying for a game, not to finance someone's life.

ETA: To All Concerned. I just checked the development page and as predicted Next Steps has been moved up sometime into the future and again (since it's Dec.) the same thing is stated again (over and over month after month) of what is being worked on...so there is no progress to be done on path finding, interactions, animations (other than Parafolk maker) or actual gameplay. This has been a full year of pushing "Next Steps" up every month. Please consider the fact this happens time and time again, and you may never actually see gameplay nor any other animations or interactions for these characters or programming to build the actual gameplay. If you believe you will, it's your choice. Go for it, however, I have my eyes wide open. And I will predict you will see the same thing at the beginning of Jan. 2022, on the development page that Next Steps will again be pushed up to sometime in the future. And Jan. will be the same list of things being worked on, as it has been the entire year of 2021.

Some think I'm harsh about this. However, it was money spent to see gameplay.....
    I no longer believe in them. Any game developer will tell you, you start with the engine and the 'world' and what is possible rather than a character creator if you are building a game similar to The Sims.

I don't know anything about game design or how it's done, but wouldn't you need some type of character and environment/building/objects first for the character to interact with while they are developing the gameplay/pathfinding, etc? Otherwise how would they test anything?

• DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    edited December 2021
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    100%. I've been a long-term Patreon of the game, so I think it's possible I might get a discount or a free copy.

It's not 'free' since you have been paying for it each month. How many years do you intend to pay for it each month? I stopped after I thought I had paid enough for a base game. :D

ETA: To All Concerned. I just checked the development page and as predicted Next Steps has been moved up sometime into the future and again (since it's Dec.) the same thing is stated again (over and over month after month) of what is being worked on...so there is no progress to be done on path finding, interactions, animations (other than Parafolk maker) or actual gameplay. This has been a full year of pushing "Next Steps" up every month. Please consider the fact this happens time and time again, and you may never actually see gameplay nor any other animations or interactions for these characters or programming to build the actual gameplay. If you believe you will, it's your choice. Go for it, however, I have my eyes wide open. And I will predict you will see the same thing at the beginning of Jan. 2022, on the development page that Next Steps will again be pushed up to sometime in the future. And Jan. will be the same list of things being worked on, as it has been the entire year of 2021.

Some think I'm harsh about this. However, it was money spent to see gameplay.....
    I no longer believe in them. Any game developer will tell you, you start with the engine and the 'world' and what is possible rather than a character creator if you are building a game similar to The Sims.

I don't know anything about game design or how it's done, but wouldn't you need some type of character and environment/building/objects first for the character to interact with while they are developing the gameplay/pathfinding, etc? Otherwise how would they test anything?

all game companies claim this but the truth is: small unknown Indie studios usually put in time and effort and spend the cash on quality games. big corporations like EA and Activision Blizzard however spend hundreds millions on their executives bonusses and not on actual game developement. and nowadays also on legal fees to keep their scummy lootbox gambling practices in their games
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Yes, I plan on getting Paralives as soon as it's released (possible 2021)
    So nice to see they are going for a quality product and are taking the time to do things like hair physics I'm a sucker for detail little things like this are so important to me. I can imagine it now a Parafolk dancing and its hair moving with it unlike the Sims dry playdoh lifeless hair of the Sims 4.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2021
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    So nice to see they are going for a quality product and are taking the time to do things like hair physics I'm a sucker for detail little things like this are so important to me. I can imagine it now a Parafolk dancing and its hair moving with it unlike the Sims dry playdoh lifeless hair of the Sims 4.

I like it, too. However, doesn't it bother you to look at those crooked lines on the wall? You can't un see stuff once you see it. lol If you were going to show off the physics like this wouldn't you have at least put the character in front of a nice wall? Details matter, you are right and therefore I can't un see the crooked lines on the wall. If I were trying to impress people enough to donate monthly I think I would have put that character in front of a better wall. It reminds me of gamechangers who show off what's new in TS4 and are happy to see something but then ignore the obvious. I hope these gamers have an idea for details like that before they release more giffs. Also, does her chest/body size look too wide compared to her head size? Like maybe her head is too small for that body form. Just some obvious observations.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

I like it, too. However, doesn't it bother you to look at those crooked lines on the wall? You can't un see stuff once you see it. lol If you were going to show off the physics like this wouldn't you have at least put the character in front of a nice wall? Details matter, you are right and therefore I can't un see the crooked lines on the wall. If I were trying to impress people enough to donate monthly I think I would have put that character in front of a better wall. It reminds me of gamechangers who show off what's new in TS4 and are happy to see something but then ignore the obvious. I hope these gamers have an idea for details like that before they release more giffs. Also, does her chest/body size look too wide compared to her head size? Like maybe her head is too small for that body form. Just some obvious observations.

I think that's just the direction of the style they're going for in this game. I'm pretty sure I read awhile ago they wanted the parafolks to have 2D comic book stylized aesthetics so they are probably matching all of the objects texture to that same type of style.

It definitely gives off that vibe of being hand-drawn cartoon-ish with flat visuals and hardly any depth or dimensions. Even the parafolk standing there looks like it's part of a comic book with no 3D aspect at all.

edited December 2021

Not necessarily. You would have to know what the world (the engine) can do and use place holders for every thing until you were finished with the world. The world is the engine. Don't think of it in terms of what's in the world (objects) but what physics it can handle and what will be possible without too much trouble latter. Before you add creatures to a world you have to have a world don't you? Earth had to be created/formed first didn't it before any thing can live on it. It had to be set on it's axels spinning through space (for things to make since with physics and gravity etc. right?) so it's the same thing in gaming in most games that want to have a living world. If you are just creating tools that can be used along side (Para) a game then no you wouldn't have to have a 'world' and paths and routing etc. If your 'game' is all about modding tools to help along side a game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,829 Member
    I plan to buy both.
    I like the crooked wall design. I thought it was intentional.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    sliders video is here
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=wKhAb42Gmx4&ab_channel=Paralives
    6adMCGP.gif
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited December 2021
    The art style is still growing on me. Like why is everyone so red all the time?? The parafolk looks like stereotypical tumblr art...it may be too stylized right now. Hopefully with more time we can see other changes that tone it down a bit. Like in this meme:
    b50.png

Im glad to see work on the design of parafolk but im more more interested in the personality and gameplay mechanics/systems in the game than cas and build.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    edited December 2021
    Ah yes, patents. Gotta love it when people find worthwhile loopholes to combat obvious abuses of systems.
    FFt4_-OX0AU1vYB?format=jpg&name=large
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I plan to buy both.
    So I learned something new today.

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed to learn about the push-pull patent that EA has. They kept that one quiet. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but here we are.

I often express my love for the Sims 4, but now that I'm learning about this patent, it only fuels more hope for the success of Paralives. Honestly, I kind of hope it blows the Sims out of the water. I'll admit that I'm surprised at how disgruntled I feel about it - probably because it's a feature that I really enjoy using.

Credit to Alex and his team for still delivering an intuitive character creation system though.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
    Plumbeeb wrote: »
    So I learned something new today.

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed to learn about the push-pull patent that EA has. They kept that one quiet. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but here we are.

I often express my love for the Sims 4, but now that I'm learning about this patent, it only fuels more hope for the success of Paralives. Honestly, I kind of hope it blows the Sims out of the water. I'll admit that I'm surprised at how disgruntled I feel about it - probably because it's a feature that I really enjoy using.

Credit to Alex and his team for still delivering an intuitive character creation system though.

The sliders in that video remind me a lot of the sliders a modder created for TS2. I have dozens of them in my cc in that game. They are great and allow me to create almost any type of facial structure tweak I can think of. Extremely detailed parts of the terms of the face. I'm glad Parafolk will come with those type sliders, too. But I still want to know why Next Steps has been pushed back month after month as they continue to tweak building and character creation with the same information they put on their development page month after month. They don't even bother to change what it says they are working on month after month. They just copy and paste the same info of what is being worked on.

After a solid year, I feel the 'gameplay' will never happen. Others may believe that's the normal course of a little indie team. But I beg to differ.
    I like the crooked wall design. I thought it was intentional.

Did you ever use cc on a Sim or a pose box or animation box and suddenly see that the surrounding environment wiggled and or has some type of graphic glitch? It happens with some cc for Sims' outfits, or custom animations etc. It reminds me of those times when I had to edit and or remove some cc or just not film a Sim with particular walls and or surroundings etc. because a graphical glitchy, anomaly would happen.
    edited December 2021
    I wanted to remind everyone of what the future holds for us (probably) with TS5 when we think about it or Paralives or maybe both! lol

The following is a quote from Laura Miele, pay attention to the lines I have bolded, that is the future of TS5. It will certainly determine how many players of today's current game move on to TS5 or not and or move over to Paralives (if it's ever released).

Laura Miele: Yes, a lot of fertile ground for The Sims for sure and the idea that we will build on the tools for people to play with life and the idea for people to be able to play with life together. We had The Sims Online that came out in 2002 which was around 20 years ago. We certainly were ahead of our time.
    I think 20 years later we learned a lot about how players interact, what motivates players, how players can come together co-operatively and so as you imagine as we think about the next generation of The Sims it’s SUPER important for us to have the best tools, the most flexibility and for players to really expand on their creativity, remix items and objects in the world. And then to do that together – I think that’s one of our biggest opportunities with The Sims is the social connection component that we need to bring to this brand and this franchise. The team is hard at work on the next generation of that experience.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,421 Member
    I am a long time simmer. If I will follow the sims into the fifth generation depends on what direction EA and maxis are going. Paralives looks promising so I am open for it. But for that game it also matters on what direction the developers go. All I need is a single player game without a subscription, preferably with an offline mode.
    KyreRoen wrote: »
    Ah yes, patents. Gotta love it when people find worthwhile loopholes to combat obvious abuses of systems.
    FFt4_-OX0AU1vYB?format=jpg&name=large

I was quite surprised about this. It makes me wonder what else they have patented. Luckily the paralives team seem to be able to create a good alternative. If EA thinks this patent is going to make me stay with the sims, they are mistaken.

I don't plan on getting both, though. Sims 4 is already expensive enough as it is. Maybe paralives will be more friendly to my wallet? Only downside of paralives is the fact that they don't seem to include anything supernatural.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    This looks exciting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saPMQS1jquc
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • LexstraLexstra Posts: 18 Member
    I plan to buy both.
    I feel very conflicted!
    I feel like anymore sims games they make will not be done right or will be a bit of a cash grab.
    We didnt get toddlers till half way in, we still do not have cars, they released a whole vampire pack **NOT** a full
    supernatural pack... its giving me very much... money hungry or milking it..
    Paralives seems cool! Ill certainly hop into it at some point!
    As for the sims.. ill stay with my sims 2/3 <3
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    I won't buy either til they're highly developed with expansions. Moving from Sims 4 with all the expansions to bare bones Sims 5 feels like a move backwards. Paralives? I never heard of it, but now I'm curious.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Finally! Happy to see black character development from paralives!!! I love seeing you can place tatoos anywhere, very useful. Love the drag and release features. Different heights and body hair. Cant wait to see personality aspects. Hopefully the game will continue until full development.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,717 Member
    edited December 2021
    I plan to buy both.
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

It's starting to look really good. The art style is looking very good and I like the color wheels and the height sliders. They have body hair too, so it's going to be refreshing to have all this at release, and not added or attempted in an update 7-10 years later after release...
    They even have a slider for the Adam's apple the Paralives team is proving unlike Sims 4 team which can't even provide us body hair 7 years later that they want to give players tools to make men.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    All well and good, but where is the gameplay, even a little bit? So far, looks like a big CAS project, not a playable game. Yes, any early enthusiasm I had is very much cooled.
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    Other
    I won't buy either til they're highly developed with expansions. Moving from Sims 4 with all the expansions to bare bones Sims 5 feels like a move backwards. Paralives? I never heard of it, but now I'm curious.

Honestly, same. I couldn't imagine starting all over without vampires, apartments, ecetera. I didn't hop on TS4 until a little while after they announced the console port, and they were already on the City Living EP by then. TS5 base game would really have to WOW me to buy it on launch.
    All well and good, but where is the gameplay, even a little bit? So far, looks like a big CAS project, not a playable game. Yes, any early enthusiasm I had is very much cooled.
    They have a smaller team of 10 or so people so instead of jumping from project to project they work on one aspect of the game at a time build mode and now Paramaker have the majority of their features complete so it's only a matter of time till they move to live mode this game has years of development to go seriously who wants a rushed incomplete game been there done that with Sims 4.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top