Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I FINALLY decide to work a farm...

2...Next

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »
    Thank you @Karritz! I did place a stones throw greenhouse in my town. I made it a community lot that allowed visitors. I tried to have my sim place their harvest stand there but each time I go into the buy mode or family inventory, it takes me right back home. How do I place something on a community lot?

The best way is to go into Edit Town and then click on the lot to edit it.

I usually make mine a hangout. I don't know if that helps or not.
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    Thank you @Karritz! I did place a stones throw greenhouse in my town. I made it a community lot that allowed visitors. I tried to have my sim place their harvest stand there but each time I go into the buy mode or family inventory, it takes me right back home. How do I place something on a community lot?

As @Karritz mentioned, Edit Town will work ...
    But if you want to know how your Sims/Family can build on any lot, at any time.

[ctrl]+{Shift]+[C]
    type ... testingcheatsenabled on ... press [Enter]
    [Shift]+click on the desired lot
    Click the "Build On This Lot" tab.

This also allows you to add cribs and other things to the houses owned by other Sims ...
    without having to go to Edit Town, remove the Family, and then edit the lot (potentially making it too expensive to repurchase).
    It helps because the money comes from your active Sim's/Family's funds.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    edited December 2021
    I figured it out. Just edited town and placed the harvest stand on the lot. It said it would tell me if anything sold. It's been two days and it's loaded with produce my Sim grew. I haven't gotten a message that anything has sold yet. I did notice on the second day when my Sim went to consign stuff, the previous stuff wasn't viewable.
    Post edited by Rhiannon58 on
  • MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    I love this thread! Question for the group. I built a pond on my farm, do I need a spawner to add fish? If so, how do I go about getting one placed? Any advice is appreciated.

Happy Farm-Simming!
    <insert inspiring comment here> :)
    edited December 2021
    @Rhiannon58 I think you say you're not getting sales. From my experience there could be two or three possible causes.

Firstly, the lot type. I recall doing some experimenting with lot types and having things for sale and I came up with setting the lot type as hangout as being the one that worked for me but I can't remember all the details now as it was years ago.

Secondly, lack of available customers. In my current video series on trying to get the 30 grandchildren badge my sims at one point were short of cash so I consigned harvestables to the hh stand at the greenhouse. Nothing sold. Then I realised I had an almost empty world with only about 6 townies in it. So I added more townies and the sales started happening.

Another possible issue could be oversupply. I am always careful to have several stands and to never consign more than about 10 items of any one type of harvestable to a stand at a time. And I limit the number of different harvestables consigned to a stand at a time.

I usually only have the 4 stands at the greenhouse, but I sometimes add a few stands to other hangouts as well and limit the number of different types of harvestable and number consigned to each stand.
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,214 Member
    @MamaSimTee - Yes, if you want to fish immediately you can add any fish spawners. Should you want to develop your own specific high quality fishing pond like the one I mentioned earlier, you will need to invest a little bit of time into having your Sim develop their fishing skill and then begin to catch high quality version of whatever fish you choose. Once you have ten of that type just deposit them in the pond on your lot and fish from there.

In developing my fisherman, I found it very helpful to have him read all of the fishing books so the bait for those fish would be added to his knowledge bank. To raise money while building the fishing skill, you could have your Sim register as a self-employed fisherman and make a bit of cash from the lesser quality fish they catch by selling them to the grocery store or at the consignment shop.

I don't know if this is universally true but, in my game, I had the hardest time catching perfect quality lobsters! I needed those lobsters for the lobster tank in my restaurant! My Sim was fishing Crystal Springs in Sunset Valley at the time, so it may be better in other worlds or areas.
    mw1525 wrote: »
    I don't know if this is universally true but, in my game, I had the hardest time catching perfect quality lobsters! I needed those lobsters for the lobster tank in my restaurant! My Sim was fishing Crystal Springs in Sunset Valley at the time, so it may be better in other worlds or areas.

The quality of bait your Sim uses, combined with the skill your Sim has, combined with the challenges your Sim has completed in Fishing,
    and combined with the number of fish they have caught in a certain category ... All have an impact on the Quality of fish they catch.

Point in case ...
    The quality and value of fish your Sim will catch continually increases.
    If your Sim Stocks a Pond on their property with Alley Catfish, Angelfish and Deathfish ... Your Sim can make a lot of money.

The Alley Catfish they catch will soon be perfect, because it takes less skill, and their Quality Score will increase faster.
    Perfect Alley Catfish have a better chance of catching Perfect Angelfish, and at an increasing Quality and Monetary Value.
    Perfect Angelfish have a much better chance of catching Perfect Deathfish, and at an increasing Quality and Monetary Value.

Your Sims can catch two Perfect Alley Catfish, with Normal Cheese from the Grocery Store.
    Then use the Perfect Catfish to catch 3-4 Perfect Angelfish, and at a higher Quality Score.
    The higher Quality Score can be seen in the increasing value of the fish caught (it will still fluctuate, but at a higher value).

Eventually ... Your sim can catch a day's worth of Perfect, High-Quality Angelfish ...
    they then use to catch ever increasing Quality and Value Deathfish.

I have Sims that not only catches Perfect Deathfish, but Deathfish worth upwards of 6K Simoleons each.
    It should also be noted that if you stock a pond with Deathfish, your Sim can catch them any time of day, and any quantity.
    That is not the same as if you add a Deathfish Spawner.

If you want perfect Lobsters for your Restaurant, and the ability to catch them faster ...
    Grow Perfect Onions to catch Prefect Tuna, to catch Perfect Lobsters.
    The modifiers on Perfect Tuna and Perfect Lobsters will still increase slower than Angelfish and Deathfish.
    It will take a while, but you can eventually catch Lobsters that come in around the 1200 Simoleon each range.

This can be beneficial for a purely Fishing Sim, as Saltwater doesn't freeze, and your Ponds will if playing with Seasons.

Of Course ... If your Sims can also build Bots, and produce. install the appropriate Trait Chips ...
    (Sentience, Limitless Learning, Efficiency, Solar Powered, Simulated Emotions [access to Lifetime Rewards])
    And keeps the Bot supplied with Perfect Bait ...

51728622291_57601cd64f_k.jpg

The Bot can catch Perfect Deathfish 24 hours a day without ever needing a Tune-Up or Recharge.
    Happy Simming!

@BlackSand - Thank you for that. Although there is no way to tell from the words I used, I was speaking in a literal sense not one from a standpoint of difficulty. When fishing at Crystal Springs, my Sim would pull just about any other fish out of that water except lobsters of any quality. It was as if the spawner for that specific crustacean just would not produce. I sincerely apologize for the confusion.

However, the information you provided will certainly help another who may be thinking of adding a fishing pond to their lot.
    edited December 2021
    Since the topic seems to be fish related at the moment - I thought I'd mention I place the wishing well from Lucky Palms inside my sim's bottom basement, occasionally in other places indoors. This began when my sim, Patience, desperately needed a death fish for her daughter's ghost to eat but it was freezing outdoors and she couldn't fish. As a result all of my games have indoor wishing wells now. The sims, with apparently just about any fishing skill level, can catch perfect death fish from it at any time of the day or night. They do tend to catch mostly sharks and lots of other fish as well as the occasional gnome.

@BlackSand thank you for the fish info I will see if I can focus of trying to get my one fishing sim to try it out in the 30 Grandchildren videos. I always make them read all of their fishing bait books and then totally ignore bait when they go fishing.
  • ModernDayM0zartModernDayM0zart Posts: 20 Member
    Cool looking farm guys/gals. I havent tried tweaking around with gardening all that much, if only the Late Night World allows indoor gardening lol
    Thanks @Karritz! I will check the lot type to see if that might be it. My town has plenty of people including 6 founding families I had been playing with. The greenhouse is perhaps way out of the way from the rest of the town and that might also be it. I will work on making it more accessible. I hadn't thought of putting multiple harvest stands on it so I'll try that too.

@BlackSand while this topic wasn't originally on fishing, I am so glad you posted that. I had NO idea that fishing could be so incredibly complicated! I had always just had a fisherman/woman fish their entire lives never giving much thought to figuring out what bait to use. I've never had them read books on fishing. And I never had anyone use it was a career. I didn't know you could. So you taught me a LOT in that post. Thank you!
    @Rhiannon58 my greenhouses are often far out of town. I don't think that matters. Butbit mught make a difference.
    Karritz wrote: »
    @Rhiannon58 my greenhouses are often far out of town. I don't think that matters. Butbit mught make a difference.

Hum. Very curious. I've added a second greenhouse right near the main part of town and put in two harvest stands. I had my sim put maybe 6 or 7 different items, only 5 of each thing. After many Sim days, I've gotten no messages than any produce has sold at any of the three stands.

Just for clarification, when produce is sold from these stands, I should be seeing messages pop up, correct?

@Rhiannon58 ... Sorry, sometimes I over-share ... :D

It seems complicated, but it's not just Fishing, and more about the overall game parameters.
    The same principles apply to Gardening (grade/value of fertilizer), Nectar Making (grade/value of ingredients) and so on.

Happy Simming!

Karritz wrote: »

Hum. Very curious. I've added a second greenhouse right near the main part of town and put in two harvest stands. I had my sim put maybe 6 or 7 different items, only 5 of each thing. After many Sim days, I've gotten no messages than any produce has sold at any of the three stands.

Just for clarification, when produce is sold from these stands, I should be seeing messages pop up, correct?

I've never tried to have more than one greenhouse in a game. There is a stack of 10 or more spawners under each swift gro gardening station at the greenhouse. If you've rotated it when placing it on a lot then that number of spawners is duplicated for each rotation.

It is possible the game/your computer is struggling to cope with so many spawners. If you decide to delete one of the greenhouses make sure you go into BuyDebug and delete the spawners from the lot after you've deleted the greenhouse.

When I first started using the humble harvest stands a long time ago I remember reading about how they work. I got the impression I shouldn't put too much in each one. Since I usually aim for 10 of each harvestable I add to the stand, and the game seems to default up to 10 items of any one type of harvestable, then I suspect that 10 could be a good number if your sim has that many, if not then just add what they have.

I find it is best to add the highest quality, most expensive, items to the stands.

I tend to try to put different harvestables in each of the four stands.

The messages pop up on the top right corner of the screen. It is easy to miss them.

Sales don't always happen immediately. It depends on the game.

Try to have an idea of how much simoleans the household has to get an idea if they are possibly selling stuff if you miss the messages.

Good luck. I hope you get them to work.
    @Karritz - May I ask how you deal with zombies when the greenhouse venue is installed? All of my greenhouses are all constructed from pieces of the greenhouse set and enclosed to keep the animals and zombies from ruining the produce. I would like to use the actual venue because I think it is really well done, but it a very open place. Is the greenhouse exempt from zombie's and animal's ravenous appetites? Or, how do you protect the plants and sunflowers from them?

@Rhiannon58 - Outside of the (hopefully temporary) greenhouse difficulty, how are you enjoying farming? I was just thinking about your twins and wondering how your Sims were getting along with raising a family and growing a farm.
    @mw1525 I tend to ignore the zombies. The greenhouse is just a place I use for my sim to collect things. I really don't even think about the zombies relating to the greenhouse venue. I have no idea if they get into it. I've never noticed. I tend to ignore the harvestables that grow there for the most part.

As for my Sims own gardens, well they are usually indoors and zombies don't usually manage to get in through locked doors. But, I do like to have a sim with the Green Thumb trait and at least level 5 in gardening. Those sims can revive dead plants however they might have died. They don't always succeed but they do usually manage to revive most of them. Plants become barren once they've been harvested for a few times and they can't be revived, but plants that have been attacked by zombies or animals or have been neglected will become dead and those dead plants can be revived. And death plants can be revived after their first harvest and this means most of them can produce 2 death flowers.

And sims sometimes find death flowers lying on the ground at the Stones Throw Greenhouse venue.