Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Did You Know Thread On Cottage Living

catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
Did You Know?

Chickens and foxes can get in your sims house if you don't lock it to them?

The Grim Reaper comes to get all farm and wild animals at death.

Comments

• EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    edited August 2021
    Ah, it's been so long since Cottage Living was released. So a lot of facts should start pouring in...

Of course I'll share some here.
    • Did you know that the bunny stump can house multiple bunnies. At first, there is only one. Then you'll begin seeing more and more.
    • There is a special lock for chickens on doors and gates. It is automatically set on, but you can unlock it for chickens and allow them to wander free.
    • Even the NPCs (not in the world sims) have backstories here! For example, Rahmi Watson had an affair with the mayor, Kim Goldbloom has a crush on the creature keeper etc.
    • You can knit animal clothing. Additionally, high knitting skill helps sims learn cross-stitching faster.
    • Animal enthusiasts like talking to every animal, even to cats, dogs and rodents.
    Post edited by EgonVM on
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Wait… @EgonVM where is this chicken lock? I have played the pack a lot but haven’t come across this. Is it a coop upgrade?
  • wolfstresswolfstress Posts: 1 New Member
    Did you know if you build a house, and put the roof on you can expand the roof to cover your lot, then you can grow whatever you want regardless of the season 😊
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    edited August 2021
    Wait… @EgonVM where is this chicken lock? I have played the pack a lot but haven’t come across this. Is it a coop upgrade?

Nope. It's on doors and gates.

Though thanks for bringing attention to this. I've edited the post so it's clearer. Sorry about confusion.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »

Nope. It's on doors and gates.

Though thanks for bringing attention to this. I've edited the post so it's clearer. Sorry about confusion.

Oh okay thanks, I will have to pay more attention to the lock options. 🙂
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited August 2021
    Did you know that chickens are very curious about babies?? It's adorable. My sim just had TRIPLETS but that's another stressful story. Anyway, I have indoor chickens and they constantly go up to the babies to check them out. It melts my heart!
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    multiple bunnies. At first, there is only one. Then you'll begin seeing more and more.

that is how it is with bunnies.

• invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I was wondering when someone would start a 'did you know' thread for CL.

Buying the 'speed cleaner' perk significantly speeds up cleaning the animal sheds.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    Henley on Bagley Secrets and Features
    https://youtu.be/PiIGZOEidcQ
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    I was wondering when someone would start a 'did you know' thread for CL.

Buying the 'speed cleaner' perk significantly speeds up cleaning the animal sheds.

I don't think I've ever used that perk. Thanks for the reminder.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    Did You Know?

With this pack you can click on the ground anywhere and spawn animals? Chickens,Llama and I think Cows can be spawned by shift clicking on the ground with testingcheats and you get an option to create an animal or creature.
  • aelias24aelias24 Posts: 220 Member
    How do I learn the cow jam dance from cottage living?
    Real Life Is Never As Interesting As the SimswIiJK39.jpg
  • QuaayQuaay Posts: 557 Member
    aelias24 wrote: »

If you have level 6 cooking skill you can make Cowberry Jam and that will unlock being able to perform the dance for your cow.

Quaay wrote: »

If you have level 6 cooking skill you can make Cowberry Jam and that will unlock being able to perform the dance for your cow.

I made the cowberry jam and ate it, but my sim will not do the dance.

Ok, I needed the bell around the cow's neck to do the dance.

Cool! I'd never heard of this one. Going to have to try it:)

Sigh!

1. Upgrade cooking to Level 6. Check.
    2. Upgrade knitting to Level 10. Check. None of the animal outfits include a cow bell - where do I get this - to be dealt with later.
    3. Get cow berry. Check.
    4. Make cow jam. Check.
    5. Get cow. Check.
    6. Look everywhere for cow bell. Turns out, I need to get the Creature Keeper to make one. Fortunately, he's a kind soul and after a brief introductory conversation and exchange of llama wool, he promises to make one and mail it to my Sim. Check.

Last simming day before I turn off the game for the night. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my cow bell.

The morning starts with a thunderstorm. Sadly, I am not going to be doing the cow jam. Hopefully, today will go better.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited October 2021
    Did you know wild foxes can steal your crop? My sim planted an onion. It was harvestable the very next day. Then I saw a wild fox playing with a ball. I thought it was my domesticated fox's toy. I hovered over it and it said it was an onion! Then the wild fox ate it. I am amazed. And confused.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    That is so cute. I had a cat that loved to play with onions and beans still in their pod. I think he liked the way they smelled.

Sigh!

1. Upgrade cooking to Level 6. Check.
    2. Upgrade knitting to Level 10. Check. None of the animal outfits include a cow bell - where do I get this - to be dealt with later.
    3. Get cow berry. Check.
    4. Make cow jam. Check.
    5. Get cow. Check.
    6. Look everywhere for cow bell. Turns out, I need to get the Creature Keeper to make one. Fortunately, he's a kind soul and after a brief introductory conversation and exchange of llama wool, he promises to make one and mail it to my Sim. Check.

Last simming day before I turn off the game for the night. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my cow bell.

The morning starts with a thunderstorm. Sadly, I am not going to be doing the cow jam. Hopefully, today will go better.

Success! My cow got her bell, and my Sim did the cow jam. Since the option remains in the interactions menu, I've tried it since without eating cowberry jam, but the cow is not impressed.

I'm disappointed, however, that my Sim didn't 'learn' the knitting 'pattern' for the cow bell (not that it's really knitted, but this is the Sims) from the Creature Keeper. That would be an awesome option for those with the knitting pack.
  • HazellyHazelly Posts: 38 Member
    > * Even the NPCs (not in the world sims) have backstories here! For example, Rahmi Watson had an affair with the mayor, Kim Goldbloom has a crush on the creature keeper etc.

Ohhh The Tea!
  • AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member
    Wild foxes can steal eggs!
    Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'
    Something I haven't seen mentioned: if you put a ginormous pumpkin, watermelon, lettuce or aubergine on the ground and click on it, you have the option to turn it into a decorative item. I've been doing that with my pumpkins, since I'm still not able to use them for canning.

For the mushroom, however, there is a different option: you can turn your toadstool into a stool. Your Sims can sit on it, knit on it, or do anything else they can do on a non-dining chair. It's not very pretty, but useful.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited November 2021
  • ElisdreamElisdream Posts: 295 Member
    edited December 2021
    If you sell your items at the town during a fair, you get a 10% profit. If you previously haggle before selling the item, you get a 25% profit! I find this great for small producers who still want to make a living. It also gives you an excuse to keep on visiting the fairs.