Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sticking with a household

2...Next

Comments

• mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    I don't think frequent starting over is a problem at all, @Heathertibb , you should play in the way that is fun for you :)

• GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited December 2021
    I usually have a sort of trial period with a new household to see if I bond with them. If I do, I may end up playing with them for a very long time. If I don't, I let their save drift to the bottom of the list. But I never delete saves. Sometimes I come back to an old unplayed save, make a new household, and let the original household be background or side characters. In fact, one of my favorite SimLit stories I'm working on started out this way.

And even the households I bonded well with and played for a very long time may eventually become less interesting to me. Often this is because whatever was their main struggle in life has become resolved and I don't have another thought on where the story should go next. Or sometimes it's because I made a decision I regret and the story took a turn that isn't working for me. Sometimes I actually just backtrack and say, "that didn't happen", set things back how they were, and have a do-over where I make a different decision and continue on from there.

@Heathertibb There's nothing wrong with starting lots of different households and only playing them for a short time if you enjoy doing that. But since you sound like you're not totally happy playing that way, you might give some thought as to what it is that causes you to lose interest. Did you take the story in a direction you didn't like? Has the main challenge that you enjoyed become less challenging? Do you find yourself in a rut making the same kinds of households over and over? There are lots of different reasons why it might not be working for you. Losing interest in a household may just be a sign that you want something different than what that particular household or story is offering you.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • HeathertibbHeathertibb Posts: 153 Member
    @GlacierSnow, thank you so much for your insightful input!
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,325 Member
    I hope you find what is fun for you @Heathertibb . Happy simming!
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • HeathertibbHeathertibb Posts: 153 Member
    @GlacierSnow, thanks, happy simming to you as well!
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    It's easier for me because I birth and develop my characters on paper before I put them into this, or any, game. once that's done I'll try to give them a body to possess in the game and the fun begins.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Who would want to stick with one household when you can have a whole heap of different varieties? 😉

I enjoy sticking with one household. I do have multiple saves where I have only 1 family I play. Perhaps it is because I dislike rotational play and I just enjoy concentration on one single family over multiple generations. While I only ever play the heir, the spares are just existing in the world. But then, I do play with mods to help my sim world have some sort of controlled story progression.

To the OP, how I commit to only playing 1 household by having multiple different saves. So it is only 1 household per save that I play.. I might feel like playing my Decades save for some weeks. Then switch to my Legacy Save for a bit to not get bored. I also have a Wonder Child save and a Rags to riches save.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I like to play rotationally so I haven't seen a great grandchild in Sims 4 yet. I used to play legacies in Sims 2. Maybe I should just start a save and commit there to one family, aging on, and generations..
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    That's so impossible with me. I have a variety of households in all 6 of my timeline Game Saves. I can't just only focus on one only it's to boring.
  • VenusABatsonVenusABatson Posts: 929 Member
    edited December 2021
    I follow one line but each generation I choose one from the next generation to follow. I make sure all siblings get married and have kids too, then go back to the one I wish to follow. I recently got a badge for having ten generations in ten families!! 😮😮
    ORIGIN ID: VenusARussell
  • VenusABatsonVenusABatson Posts: 929 Member
    edited December 2021
    I follow one line but each generation I choose one from the next generation to follow. I make sure all siblings get married and have kids too, then go back to the one I wish to follow. I recently got a badge for having ten generations in ten families!! 😮😮

I also send 8 of them at a time (their mates included) to University so they can know their cousins and I choose to follow from them and their cousins who I will follow. Nothing boring about that! 😂😂 I have their cousins marry and have kids as well.
    That is how you get ten households with 10 Generations. 🙂
    ORIGIN ID: VenusARussell